SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ moonbow0202: effexor and remeron withdrawal

moonbow0202

Last summer, i was sick of being so tired because of anti depressants. I decided to research how much I had to be on to prevent relapse. The year before, I was dismissed from a BSN program for academic reasons.Even though I was pretty sure that antidepressants were causing my problems with writing I thought I didn’t have a choice. As I researched antidepressants I began to realize that I did not want to be on them anymore. I started detoxing off of effexor and taking supplements.I am currently seeing a therapist and an integrative psychiatrist. The psychiatrist has me doing energy exercises and does EFT (emotional freedom technique) with me. I found this site while looking for information on the long-term effects of antidepressant use. For the most part friends and family are trying to be supportive but think I should be back on meds. If they have been really discouraged lately. I wonder if a lever and feel normal for very long or get my life back on track.

Edited by scallywag
tags added

15+ years on various ADs and combos. Spent 3 yrs tapering (off & on ) off 225mg Effexor venlafaxine) XR & Remeron (mirtazapine). Finished tapering Oct 2014.

When I started seeing the integrative psychiatrist she had me start taking SAMe; I am currently taking 800mg. I started the detox on my own i had tried taking SAMe (400mg) but after 2 weeks I noticed I had been having a lot of headaches and GI upset so I stopped taking it. I figured if serotonin was not as important as the drug companies have said, then i didn't need it. The integrative psychiatrist told me that since the ADs had messed with my serotonin levels, I should be taking it now.

Does anyone have any thoughts and/or info about this?

15+ years on various ADs and combos. Spent 3 yrs tapering (off & on ) off 225mg Effexor venlafaxine) XR & Remeron (mirtazapine). Finished tapering Oct 2014.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum, moonbow0202.

I had some trouble following your drug history in your signature, but I think you're on 4.5 mg. Remeron and nothing else at the moment?

Generally, withdrawal from antidepressants and taking supplements don't mix very well aside from some mild, time-tested ones such as high EPA/DHA fish oil, vitamin B-12 and magnesium. If you're not currently taking SAM-e, it probably isn't wise to start. We had one individual here who actually got hooked on it and went through withdrawal getting off of it. I can't seem to locate those posts at the moment, but I remember them.

What you've done by stopping and starting medications abruptly is to bring on withdrawal symptoms and that's why you're feeling so miserable. It's not because you need to be on antidepressants forever.

Your best bet is to increase your Remeron dose to a point where you feel well, stay there for several months to be certain that you're stable, and then very gradually decrease the dosage by 10% or even less at a time. Hold between decreases until you're certain that you're stable, and proceed again. It's very, very important to listen to your body and not try to "tough it out" and put up with withdrawal symptoms.

Here are some posts from someone who has tried to get off of Remeron:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2028-how-do-i-get-off-mirtazapine/page__p__20030__hl__remeron__fromsearch__1#entry20030

In general, please read and re-read the Tapering forum until you're certain you understand how to do it, and ask questions if you don't. Getting off of antidepressants is not an easy task for many people. Doing it slowly and gently is the best possible thing for your Central Nervous System, which has been upset by all the stops, starts, and drug changes.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

Moonbow0202,

Please note that all posts that have to do with your own drug history and current situation are to be added to your original introductory post. I noticed that your last post was in the wrong place and moved it, and the duplicate post will be deleted. Your introductory topic is to be used somewhat like a journal, and that way both you and other forum members can follow your progress in one place.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

I feel really dense,do I post new messages as a reply to my original post?

When I was putting my history in my signature line I kept getting a message that it was too large so i tried to condense it.

15+ years on ADs; initially on and off (due to SE); then on on various combinations.

Began venlafaxine (Effexor) XR shortly after it became available.

Trazadone added to combat nightmares from venlafaxine.; Stopped taking the traxzadone after the mirtazapine was started.

Venlafaxine increased over years until @225mg;

Mirtazapine (Remeron) added, increased over yrs to 45mg.

Starting 9/2/11 decreased venlafaxine every few days by 5%, then 2.5 %, then 1.25 % taking breaks. completely off venlafaxine 1st wk Jan 2012; I experienced major physical WD symptoms;

2/2012 severe depression, back on venlafaxine 75mg.

7/12 severe depression, 7/12 back on venlafaxine 75mg.

detoxed quicker last 2 times with virtually no SE;currently 0mg venlafaxine.

10/11 began mirtazapine decrease due to restless leg as venlafaxine was decreased;

Decreased mirtazapine by 1.25mg periodically, low mood beginning day 2 or 3;

7/12 forgot to take one night, felt great next day; decided to stay off; started getting depressed, thought I could ride it out; Went back on mirtazapine. Currently 4.5mg.

i have been taking fish oil and multivitamin since i began this Journey. Before I stated seeing the integratve psychiatrist i was also taking B-complex and zinc supplements. the psychiatrist did not think the zinc and extra B were that important so I wasn't taking them for a while.

I recently resumed the zinc and B-complex.

The psychiatrist has me taking 800mg of SAMe.

Hindsight being 20/20 , trying to "tough out depression from the mirtazapine withdrawal was not terribly bright.

i am new to this site so please bear with me if I'm not posting this in the right place.

I am completely off of effexor but still on remeron. I have gotten down to 4.5 mg of remeron. I have been dissolving the tablets in 10ml of water and calculating the dose.This is 3 1/3 days worth of a 4.5mg dose. I have wondered if there is a loss of potency but i don't seem to feel the effects like when I've lowered my dose. After reading some posts on this site, I think my current poor mood is because I have come down too quickly on the remeron. I have gone from 45mg to 4.5 mg in a little over one year. I think i will talk to my psychiatrist about raising the Remeron until i am more stable.

• Administrator

Welcome, moonbow.

Yes, you add responses to your topic to update it. You can add questions, too. We can see the new posts.

How are you feeling now? What are your symptoms?

From what we've seen, boosting serotonin with SAM-e or other supplements does not assist withdrawal. Withdrawal occurs because your serotonin receptors have downregulated. They retreat, like snails into a shell. They can't feel the additional serotonin, which only causes side effects elsewhere.

Your nervous system has stabilized on what the Remeron adds to it. To maintain this stability and minimize withdrawal problems, you need to sneak off the Remeron without your nervous system noticing. What this means in dosage reduction varies from individual to individual. We suggest starting to sneak with a 10% reduction. Your nervous system will let you know if that's too much.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator

moonbow, what is the dosage of the tablets you're dissolving?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Altostrata,

The mirtazapine tablets are 15mg; 15mg/10ml=1.5mg per ml.; I take 3ml a night, after shaking to mix well.

• Administrator

You can experiment with a small updose yourself by taking 4mL (6mg) instead.

Are you getting your prescription filled with 30 15mg tablets?

when I started reducing the remeron,I had 45mg tablets and dissolved them in 10 ml of water.There are 20 drops in a ml (using an eyedropper. 45mg/200drops=.225mg per drop.When I was lowering my dose, it was by 1.125 mg (5 drops).

I now have 15 mg tablets of Remeron(the smallest available) which I dissolve in 10ml of water. 15mg/10ml = 1.5mg per ml.

I have not lowered the remeron for months. i currently take 4.5mg (3ml of solution)

• Administrator

moonbow, I moved posts from the mirtazapine tapering topic to your topic as it seems you're asking the same questions.

Since you're making a liquid, you can easily adjust your dosage. You might find it easier to measure out your dosage with an oral syringe http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/235-tapering-techniques/

What are your current symptoms?

i forgot to mention how i'm feeling. My mood has been up and down, mostly down. Also, i have been having a lot of GI problems which i suspect is caused by the SAMe.

• Administrator

Yes, SAM-e can upset your stomach.

It may also be responsible for your symptoms. Perhaps you should hold on your mirtazapine dose. Don't make changes until you feel better overall.

I am currently taking 800mg SAMe. My integrative psychiatrist told me I needed to be taking it.

I had briefly tried SAMe after I started the effexor withdrawal. I had headaches and upset stomach and decided there really wasn't a good reason to take it.

I have been on the 800mg for several months and have been having a lot of stomach upset and some headaches both of which I attributed to SAMe. I've also had a lack of appetite which I attributed to a depressed mood. After reading more about SAMe, I realize the decreased appetite is probably from the SAMe.

So, Saturday I decide to try dividing the dose. My appetite was good but I started to get dizzy and had head buzzing. these were very familiar feelings form the effexor WD.

I took the rest of the dose which only partially alleviated the symptoms. Even though I took all 800mg at once yesterday morning,I was still woozy.

My family and friends felt better about my getting off of psych meds after I started seeing the integrative psychiatrist.

What I'm thinking right now is that here i am again, getting worse because I've been following a doctor's orders and she, the psychiatrist, will probably fight me about wanting to stop the SAMe. I am still on 4.5mg Remeron so I need a doctor to prescribe that. I will definitely not be lowering the Remeron anytime soon. I think I did too much too fast between the remeron and the efexor.

I will definitely work slowly when I do decide to get off the SAMe.

Although I feel frustrated right now, the upside is that i have more and more accurate information. If I've learned anything through this experience it is that ignorance is definitely not bliss.

• Administrator

1) Stomach upset is a recognized adverse effect of SAM-e.

2) SAM-e can be stimulating, causing anxiety and sleeplessness.

3) Once you've been taking SAM-e for a while, you can get withdrawal from it.

4) Changing the SAM-e dose destabilized your nervous system, which is already vulnerable from the psych drug changes.

Since you're getting a bad reaction (stomach and headaches) from the SAM-e, I suggest you very gradually reduce the dosage.

From what we've seen, integrative psychiatrist and naturopaths don't know any more about psychiatric drug withdrawal than any other kind of doctor.

If your integrative psychiatrist doesn't recognize your bad reactions to SAM-e, that's a red flag. Bad reactions are undesirable under any circumstances.

Why do your family and friends have an opinion about your decision to go off psych drugs?

How could I slowly lower my SAMe dose? My understanding is that SAMe is unstable and that is why it is usually sold in blister packs. The lowest dose I have found in blister packs is 200mg. I have seen 100mg in non-blister pack packaging; would these have any potency?

Does anyone have any thoughts about/ experience with slowly tapering SAMe?

• Administrator

Cut up the tablets, lower by a quarter of a tablet.

Hi All,

I am still dizzy and I'm crying a lot! I'm also pretty angry that an integrative psychiatrist told me to start taking the SAMe. Now I'm on 800mg and, based on last weekend, will certainly have WD affect trying to get off. I'm also pretty mad that my "integrative psychiatrist" blew me off every time I asked about some kind of post acute sydrome from antidepressant WD. I've been reading up on PANES, tardive dysphoria and CBI (chronic Brain Impairment).

I've also been reading the posts about neuro emotions. That is exactly where I am at!

I'm pretty much a mess right now. My sister-in-law died this week after a long battle with cancer. We were not close but it is very sad. I feel bad because someone died and I keep thinking about a comment my husband made about how his brother is probably relieved that it's over.It just keeps running through my head that my husband would be relieved if I wasn't around anymore.

Hi moonbow,

I feel really frustrated with doctors as well. So hard to know who to trust!

Are you going to try to reduce the SAMe?

Do you do some kind of therapy for your depression?

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

Hi moonbow,

I feel really frustrated with doctors as well. So hard to know who to trust!

Are you going to try to reduce the SAMe?

Do you do some kind of therapy for your depression?

I have been reducing the SAMe by 1/2 of a 200mg tablet. I would have rather have done 1/4 but the pills are enteric coated and really hard to split. I have been using a pill cutter are slowly pressing at first to try and score the tablet first.

I am seeing a therapist who does talk and CBT. The integrative psychiatrist i see does EFT with me and has me doing Donna Eden's 5 minute energy routine and some other energy exercises. I have not been doing them lately, probably because I am frustrated with my psychiatrist for having me take SAMe. So I guess I'm throwing a bit of a temper tantrum by not doing the exercises. Sounds pretty childish. I really don't know if they were helping but they certainly weren't hurting.

Here is a link to Donna Eden's site

http://innersource.net/em/

Here is a link to video on you tube of the 5 minute energy routine.

http://www.youtube.com/innersource2

and here's a link about EFT

http://www.eft-articles.com/

I'm trying to cut the SAMe by 1/4 tablet but it's not very precise. cutting back by 1/2 tab (100mg) was way too much. I was very woozy and had wooshing in head and ringing in ears. Sounds kind of musical. Also, I increased the remeron to 5.25mg from 4.5mg hoping to improve my mood.

• Administrator

Try to make changes one at a time, so you can figure out what does what.

Sorry to hear you're having such problems going off SAM-e. It comes in a range of tablet sizes, perhaps you can use smaller dosages and cut them up?

The smallest dosage I have been able to find in blister packs is 200mg. I think I am going to buy some 100mg capsules that a local health food store has. My doc previously told me that because SAMe was unstable, anything not sold in a blister pack would not be very active. I will talk to the pharmacist and I think I'll try the capsules, If they work OK, I could titrate my dose a lot more precisely.

Hi Moonbow, I am dealing with cold turkey withdrawals from Sam-e. You can read my story on my intro topic. I had lots and lots of anxiety and insomnia, and some very disturbing other stuff from Sam-e. I hope your taper gives you more of a soft landing. I am off for a year and its still around. Just wanted to say hello.

Hi Moonbow, I am dealing with cold turkey withdrawals from Sam-e. You can read my story on my intro topic. I had lots and lots of anxiety and insomnia, and some very disturbing other stuff from Sam-e. I hope your taper gives you more of a soft landing. I am off for a year and its still around. Just wanted to say hello.

Thanks for the encouragement. I just ordered a liquid SAMe (Cellfood liquid SAMe). it seemed very expensive but according to the manufacturer 72 mg of the liquid is the equivalent of 400 mg in tablet form due to increased bioavailability. My plan is to take 600 in tablet form and then calculate small decreases with the liquid. I'm trying to wean off of 800 mg. If the manufacturer's claims are correct, I calculated that 1 drop of the liquid is the equivalent of 20 mg SAMe from tablets. I will post when I get it and see how it works.

Interesting, I didn't know you could get liquid. I had no clue about tapering or anything until I was a couple months off so by that time I just figured I would tough it out. I wish I knew then what I know now! Are you getting side effects from the Sam-e now? I was getting lots of palpitations, a constant stomach ache, and some anxiety. Then one day a tiny blackout, and that made me know I had to quit the stuff. I am interested to hear what your experience is with Sam-e, I have never been able to find anyone actively posting to interact with about it. I think I read on dr sahelian's site that Sam-e builds up in your body, so it may take a little bit for your body to feel a lower dose. My cold turkey quit was five days before symptoms set in, and then it was like a switch that was flipped and they were there from then on. I hope you do well on the liquid!! I know the whooshing and ear ringing!

Are you getting side effects from the Sam-e now? I was getting lots of palpitations, a constant stomach ache, and some anxiety. Then one day a tiny blackout, and that made me know I had to quit the stuff.

My SE are upset stomach, lack of appetite (which I originally was attributing to depressed mood) and some headaches. I suspect that I am experiencing anxiety from the SAME, I had thought that it was all from the AD WD. That's a big reason why I'm trying to get off of it.

I think I read on dr sahelian's site that Sam-e builds up in your body, so it may take a little bit for your body to feel a lower dose. My cold turkey quit was five days before symptoms set in, and then it was like a switch that was flipped and they were there from then on. I hope you do well on the liquid!! I know the whooshing and ear ringing!

My negative SE appeared/worsened about 2 months after dose increases. I think it does build up in our systems.

I got the liquid SAMe and am taking 600 mg in pill form and 8 drops of the liquid which is the equivalent of 160 mg. My head is less buzzy (sometimes not buzzy at all) than when I was trying to split one of the 200 mg tablets. I think breaking the enteric coating was having an effect. I don't know if I was getting less SAMe because the split tab was broken down too much in my stomach and not absorbed or if I was getting too much because of breaking the enteric coating and thereby getting a quick flood of SAMe. Either way, it wasn't working and I'm really glad to have the liquid so I can titrate more accurately.

I hope you do well and that you can continue to go down smoothly! I am getting better now (after a year) so even though the withdrawal can be very bad, it's temporary.

I finally broke down and called my integrative psychiatrist for an appointment. I've been pretty angry that she would not acknowledge any kind of post acute syndrome with AD WD. I've since caught up on the literature on PAINS, tardive dysphoria, CBI, etc.. i'm also angry about her telling me i needed to take SAMe and i'm now trying to get off of that(very slowly)

I need her to write scrips for the Remeron which I will be on for a while so, I need to play nice. Part of me doesn't want to play nice and would like to bill her for continuing education because i'm going to need to explain at least a little about why I shouldn't be taking any serotonergically active substances. Another reason for me to play nice is my wanting to start a support group in my area and she can help me get the word out.

On the plus side, the liquid SAME is working well and frequently, I don't have any buzzing in my head.

On a more personal note, we had to put down our 16 year old dog yesterday and I am very sad. I started yoga a couple of weeks ago and I went to class today. It helped me get my mind off of the Dog.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi

Moonbow. I understand your anger. Its infuriating that we have to work this out on our own then pay them for their 'expertise', massage their ego and play nice as you say. I think lots of us have been in that situation

And I'm really sorry about your dog 16 is a good innings but it's still devastating. I've got two dogs and I cant bare to think of anything happening to them

Keep your chin up

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Hi

Moonbow. I understand your anger. Its infuriating that we have to work this out on our own then pay them for their 'expertise', massage their ego and play nice as you say. I think lots of us have been in that situation

And I'm really sorry about your dog 16 is a good innings but it's still devastating. I've got two dogs and I cant bare to think of anything happening to them

Keep your chin up

Dalsaan

Dalsaan

Thanks for the understanding on all counts. I see that you are also on Remeron (mirtazapine). While the effexor WD was hard physically and mentally the mirtazapine WD has really hit me emotionally.

• Administrator

moonbow, many of us have had to "play nice" with doctors even though it's the last thing we want to do.

Very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.

Hi Moonbow,

Sorry to hear about your doggie. Pets are such a wonderful thing when your brain is in chaos with withdrawal. Im sorry you have to deal with that now.

Good to hear your taper plan is working. The GI problems go away after Sam-e is gone and they are definitely a side effect. I had some anxiety as a side effect while I was on Sam-e but it was nothing like the c/t withdrawal anxiety. Keep going slowly and maybe you can avoid it. Ear ringing seems from withdrawal, and oooh the dizziness. Keep going you will make it!

Hi All,

I saw my integrative psychiatrist yesterday. On the plus side, I am still her patient so I still have a way to get the Remeron I need.

Much of the appointment was very frustrating.

According to my psychiatrist:

Length of time spent withdrawing from ADs does not matter healing does not really occur until you are completely off of antidepressants and then it takes a year for your body to recover.

My researching long term effects of AD withdrawal is a coping mechanism and not helpful. I think I'm experiencing symptoms because I'm on message boards.

I would be doing fine if I were doing my energy exercises. (see earlier post http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3110-moonbow0202-effexor-and-remeron-withdrawal/page__view__findpost__p__35008)

Morning panic is a result of the lack of the lack of direction my life has.

I told her about sensitivity to serotonergic substances and about the headaches, upset stomach and lack of appetite I am having from the SAMe. She said I could drop to 400 mg SAMe. I plan on going completely off of the SAMe eventually. I'm already tapering slowly.

I'm so grateful for this forum.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Moonbow,

How are you doing with your Sam-e reductions? I had upset stomach while I was on and it does entirely go away. The unstable emotions and morning anxiety are from the withdrawals, I have been there and it does smooth out over time. Are you having any muscle twitches or waves of panic-like symptoms? That was the withdrawal for me too. I had some serious strange headaches, like I could feel my brain re-wireing for many months. These go away too, but they are intense. Sam-e messed me up really bad, so be suspicious that the withdrawal is causing your troubles too. My drs gave me. Bunch of bad advice, I stayed the course and took nothing and at 14 months off feel like my old self is not fully back but is in sight clearly.

R