SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

helena off Pristiq for over 2 months - still not feeling right

helena

hi everyone, ive been off pristiq for over 2 months. i was on it for 10 months. before that on cymbalta and luvox, alotgehter for 8 years.

initial withdrawal symptoms were bad, not being able to move, body aches all over, emotionally all over the place, shakes, etc

it then settled, until about a week ago when the same body aches have returned, emotionally im on a constant rollercoaster, flu like symptoms, mood swings.

wondering if anyone knew how long after tapering off pristiq you can expect the side effects to last. i thought it was getting better, but im aching so much right now i had to take a muscle relaxant. im weepy and moody too. just not coping.

thanks in advance to anyone who answers.

p.s. ive completely withdrawn from people. i dont want to see anyone or do anything, im just tired and sad most of the time and i want to sleep.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Helena

Welcome to the forum. You'll find people are friendly and supportive. Generally speaking no one can really say how long withdrawal symptoms

will last it does depend on your individual system and history. There is no formula to calculate timeframes

Can I ask how you came off the pristiq. Did you go cold turkey or taper off. If you tapered, how long did it take you and how bid were the dose reductions?

This info adds to the story of what might be happening for you

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Helena,

I moved your post here because this is essentially your introductory topic. I see you made another post some months ago, but I'll be darned if I can find it. If I do, I'll merge that here, too.

The very best way to let us know your history is to put it in your signature. Here are the instructions:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature

Pristiq is a very difficult drug from which to withdraw and two months is a very quick taper considering all the years you were taking antidepressants. You might want to review all the posts with "Pristiq" in the title in the Tapering forum and general topics on tapering.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

thanks jemima.

i did look through the pristiq thread but most of the info was about how to taper off, not so much how long after stopping altogether did people suffer side effects.

helena

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Helena,

Its hard to say how long withdrawal can last. Some people have experienced very protracted withdrawals (like years).

two months is actually a very short taper. We generally recommend a 10 reduction rate every couple of weeks at the most (and it depends

if your body is able to handle that rate)

A couple of years ago I was off Mirtazapine for over 3 months and still had awful withdrawal symptoms. I had to reinstate the AD and

develop a much slower tapering regime after I had stabalized

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Dalsaan thank you for sharing your experience. ive been beating myself up for still feeling this rotten, thinking maybe im imagining things or its something else. but ive been for a general check up to my gp and im otherwise fine.

• Moderator Emeritus

I think lots of us have explored what else it might be only to work out that it's withdrawal. I know I have. I spent months getting blood tests etc. waste of time, energy and money

I then reinstated my ad medication and the symptoms were resolved. Are these things you would consider?

hlo helina....

all you need is patience...it will take time to recover ..be strong...talk to people....talk to us whenever you feel bad...only v can understand eachother better than anyone else in this world..

anytime i am here for support.....

have a good sleeping pattern..good nutrint food...music....try to divert your mind...its difficult but not impossible

a minimum of 7 hour sleep ....wake up by 5 30 or 6..nd do some simple meditation...breathing excersise...airobic....and see within a week you can feel the differnce..

• Administrator

helena, the information in the Pristiq thread may give you an idea of how you can taper off after reinstatement.

Since you're already off Pristiq, you might try reinstating a partial dose of regular Effexor instead and take twice a day. This will be easier to taper because you can make regular Effexor into a liquid.

People can suffer antidepressant withdrawal syndrome for many months or years. You can't know if you are in this group. To reduce risk, we recommend reinstating at a partial dose. This is the medical advice found in every package of Pristiq.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Helena,

Welcome!

I am sorry that you are still suffering 2 months later...given that you are only 2 months off you may consider reinstating to effexor as Alto suggested, stabilise for a few months and then taper slowly.

There is no way to predict whether you will recover quickly or become a protracted withdrawal sufferer, there is also no way to predict whether reinstatement will work - but it probably is the safest way to go.

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

hi helina how you doing today....hop u doing gud....wish you recover soon....if ever you have that mood swing ..write it over here i am sure you will feel better