SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Akathisia vs restlessness, anxiety, agitation

Altostrata

• Administrator

ADMIN NOTE Also see

Weighted blankets & Bed Tents for restlessness, akathisia, insomnia and anxiety

Blog: My Akathisia Experience by akathisiainfo contains many reports of drug-induced akathisia and recovery from it

NOTICE This is a poster circulating on Facebook. It is inaccurate and not endorsed by the Akathisia Alliance. The symptoms it attributes to akathisia mostly do NOT describe akathisia.

akathisia not.jpeg

Addition September 15, 2022:

Due to the tireless work of patient advocates over the last several years, akathisia has become a better known adverse effect of drugs. However, I have seen more drug-induced activation than akathisia. Quite frequently, members report here they have "akathisia" when they're taking too many "brakes" (sedating drugs such as benzodiazepines, antipsychotics, sleep drugs, etc.). This is not what I would call akathisia but activation from the paradoxical effect of sedating drugs at doses that are too high. 

If you take too many "brakes", your nervous system rebels against being so pressed down, responding with symptoms of activation that might be taken for akathisia. That is a paradoxical reaction, because the drugs are supposed to be calming rather than activating. You have control over a paradoxical reaction, because you can eliminate it by reducing the drug.

You do not have control over akathisia, which is related to a movement disorder, and may persist or emerge after you reduce the drug.

- Altostrata

There's an interesting discussion of akathisia buried in this May 25, 2011 post by psychiatrist Steve Balt http://carlatpsychiatry.blogspot.com/2011/05/horizant-second-coming-of-gabapentin.html

".... However, the symptoms of RLS (restless leg syndrome) are rather nonspecific: "an urge to move the limbs, which improves with activity and worsens with rest." That's about it. Which leads to yet another problem (a problem that GSK and Xenoport don't see as a problem, that's for sure): with such vague and common symptoms (who among us hasn't felt somewhat restless at times, with interrupted sleep?), a lot of people might get diagnosed with RLS when their symptoms are actually due to something else.

A while back, a fellow blogger directed me to the RLS "patient page" on the National Institutes of Health (NIH) web site, where RLS was—and still is—referred to as "akathisia." However, these may be two entirely different things. Akathisia (from the Greek for "not sitting still") has long been recognized as a side effect of some—perhaps most—psychiatric medications, from antipsychotics to antidepressants. It is often described as an "inner restlessness," a "need to keep moving." Sometimes it's associated with extreme emotional distress. In terms of severity, it can range from a mild nuisance to—in some cases—aggressive tendencies. (Indeed, the psychiatrist David Healy has even linked psychotropic-induced akathisia to suicide attempts and violent behavior.)

Psychiatrists really don't know exactly what causes akathisia, and disagree on how to treat it. It may have something to do with dopamine blockade, or something completely independent. Treatment might consist of benzodiazepines (like Ativan or Valium), beta blockers (like propranolol), or discontinuing the drug that caused it in the first place.

Unlike RLS, which seems to bother people most when they are lying down (hence its tendency to disrupt sleep), drug-induced akathisia is worse when people are awake and moving around. Sounds like a simple distinction. But nothing is quite this simple, particularly when psychiatric drugs—and real people—are involved. In fact, many psychiatric meds can cause other motor side effects, too, involving (theoretically) yet other neural pathways, such as "parkinsonian" side effects like rigidity and tremor. In fact, some antipsychotic drug trials show "restlessness" and "akathisia" as entirely separate side effects (and when I've tried to ask experts to explain the difference, I have never received a straightforward answer.) ...."

Edited by Altostrata
updated admin note

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

This is what a knowledgeable doctor told me:

Agitation is relieved by moving around, but akathisia and restless leg syndrome (RLS) are not. All of them are related to dopaminergic dysregulation; it is unclear whether it's too much dopamine or too little dopamine, this could vary from person to person, or even in the same person, producing the same symptoms. Dopaminergic dysregulation is the key.

The doctor said he wouldn't try to treat dopaminergic dysregulation with drugs. From what he's seen, it resolves in time.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

i've had akathesia 24/7/365 for teh past 3 years. didnt know it had to do with dopamine. are there any suppliments that can help the dopamine and help the akathesia?

-On SSRI since April 2006.
-December 2007: SSRI discontinuation and withdrawal start.
-February 2008: SSRI reinstatement... improvement, yet withdrawal symptoms remains to this day.
-Currently taking: 16mg Citalopram, 1mg Risperidone (for insomnia).
-Current issues: obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), social anxiety disorder (SAD), insomnia, exaggerated physical symptoms of anxiety, muscle fatigue, weight gain, high prolactin/low testosterone

Hi Earthworm...welcome to the board!

Notice the post above yours...Surviving's doctor says the agitation/akathisia resolves evenually once you are drug free, and that he does not prescribe for it. I had it very bad for a long time during my protracted w/d, but it has resolved. I do think that walking can help.

I don't really think that there are any supplements that really help this problem. I had to be very careful when taking supplements because sometimes they made my symptoms worse...Omega 3 for example helps many, but made me feel like bouncing off the walls.

Began Paxil 10/97*

Paxil free 10/16/04 (tapered over 2.5 months)

Severe withdrawal

12/04 started Lexapro due to Paxil w/d symptoms (tapered over 4 months)

Lexapro free 8/2/05

2 1/2 year severe protracted withdrawal

Doing well now with a few residual symptoms

i've had akathesia 24/7/365 for teh past 3 years. didnt know it had to do with dopamine. are there any suppliments that can help the dopamine and help the akathesia?

hi earth,

as said above, you have to wean totally to have a chance akathisia go away

akathisia do not exist in life, it is only drug induce

if you are taking drugs, you can have 10 years akathisia

i catch severe akathisia from month 9 off to maybe 15 months off, i all read about this hell, and do what i found : waiting time pass without any nerve med,i was despair and one day i discover it was less intense and gone away(i have maybe mild mild residual akathisia, but i am not sure)

i found only two peoples on sri who had akathisia after 2/3 years, i analysed their history and the two were taking nerve meds to help their akathisia

nerves med = sri or beta blocker or xanax or neuroleptic(France) which work on dopamine(antipsychotic in america i think)

more years you are on , more it will be difficult to wean

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

Hey, Earthworm! Welcome to SA.

Trying supplements may be a tricky thing. In WD we are super-sensitive to more than we're not. Your best bet would be to let the body heal on its own, and at its own pace. Our system is able to find the shortest way to healing (though still much too long for most of us), and too much stimulation may keep throwing it off balance.

You will be continually improving. Just a few more steps. Take care!

2000-2008 Paxil for a situational depression

2008 - Paxil c/t

Severe protracted WD syndrome ever since; improving

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once”

Albert Einstein

"Add signature to your profile. This way we can help you even better!"

Surviving Antidepressants ;)

And, above all, ... keep walking. Just keep walking.

im g************* from PP by the way.

getting off the pills is not an option for me. i've tried tapering really slow (0.1mg every 2 weeks) and all that happened was that i crashed severely. that was a year ago, and i still have not got to my pre crash condition. i'd sure like to be off these pills, and i might start a taper again eventually, but i know its impossible for me to get off this stuff. the crashes are too horrific and unbearable.

thats why i need advice about what to do about my simptoms while im still on drugs. no one on earth would be able to survive the crashes i've been in. one would last maybe 2 weeks and then kill themselves. it is impossible to get through them.

Edited by Altostrata
removed name at request of poster

-February 2008: SSRI reinstatement... improvement, yet withdrawal symptoms remains to this day.
-Current issues: obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), social anxiety disorder (SAD), insomnia, exaggerated physical symptoms of anxiety, muscle fatigue, weight gain, high prolactin/low testosterone

On 3/31/2011 at 2:45 PM, 'Earthworm' said:

im g************* from PP by the way.

getting off the pills is not an option for me. i've tried tapering really slow (0.1mg every 2 weeks) and all that happened was that i crashed severely. that was a year ago, and i still have not got to my pre crash condition. i'd sure like to be off these pills, and i might start a taper again eventually, but i know its impossible for me to get off this stuff. the crashes are too horrific and unbearable.

thats why i need advice about what to do about my simptoms while im still on drugs. no one on earth would be able to survive the crashes i've been in. one would last maybe 2 weeks and then kill themselves. it is impossible to get through them.

hi, i guess you,

it is a deadlock

as to throw akathisia you have to be meds free , and actually you cannot

when you will be in a better situation ,wean slowly and try betablocker propanolol to feel relief but it has many side effects and the risks are you may have blood problems...

what i would try in your case :

from my memory you are on 30 mg

i would wean very slowly to 20 mg, wait a while and then wean to 15 mg and wait more more time

the goal would be to not be on a high dose, 15 mg is better than 30 mg, and after time to continue

paxil cures nothing and gives you akathisia

cheer up !

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

in protracted withdrawal

Earthworm,

Don’t feel like you will never get off of these drugs…I did it and I am much older than you. It is horrific for some of us, but it can be done. It takes time and patience, but it is worth it in the end…you are very young and will eventually have a great life drug free!

Began Paxil 10/97*

Paxil free 10/16/04 (tapered over 2.5 months)

Severe withdrawal

12/04 started Lexapro due to Paxil w/d symptoms (tapered over 4 months)

Lexapro free 8/2/05

2 1/2 year severe protracted withdrawal

Doing well now with a few residual symptoms

tehre are many people on PP that cant taper off just like me. songbird is one of them, and i think rachelina and aussigirl (not sure its them, i forgot who it was). when they taper down to a certain dose below 5mg or so, they just crash. and im exactly like them. i got to 3.6 mg and i crashed one morning out of nowhere... all hell just hit me at once... akathesia got way worse, ocd went off the scale to suicide level, physical terror (not mental terror) overwhelmed my body, and i was not able to sleep at all, or eat. all those at the same time are unsurvivable.

i cant cheer up stan. im still on pills and i have 24/7/365 akathesia, cant sleep for s*** and require risperdal to get me some cheap sleep, and i have terrible chemical OCD that torments me like a mother f-er for the past 3 years. and i have a lot more symptoms as well, but those are my big 3. and when i try to taper all these symptosm get waaaaaaaaaaaaay worse to suicide level. im stuck. if i feel like s*** 24/7 on pills, what is it going to be when im off pills? my experience says that i will be a million times worse off pills. i've been on pills for 3 years so far after my reinstatement, and nothing changed, i never stabalized. all that happened was that my akathesia got lower as the years on the dose went on.

I'm so sorry you're going through such a terrible experience!

I don't know this for sure, but it seems to me that, *generally speaking*, young men are most likely to have the worst akathisia. (There are always exceptions, of course.) Maybe it has to do with testosterone. Have you looked into this angle at all?

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

i didnt do much research on akathisia so i dont know much.

i found this article just now though: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1192441/

talks about propranolol for treatment of drug induced akathisia. im despirate for any help i can get. anyone know of propranolol for akathisia?

i didnt do much research on akathisia so i dont know much.

i found this article just now though: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1192441/

talks about propranolol for treatment of drug induced akathisia. im despirate for any help i can get. anyone know of propranolol for akathisia?

the problem is that it is the celexa and risperdal(and before meds) who gave akathisia and maintain it today as long as they are taken

it is a cycle without end

to broke the cycle : taper

for anxiety 

in protracted withdrawal

akathisia is a result of amount receptors fired by celexa, risperdal, lamictal and ...

as long as you are taken these psy meds you are continuing to firering more receptors (myself am a victim of time taken 13 years)

there is no miracle, the damaged receptors will need more time to recover as you have taken high doses and longer time

it exist any meds to heal this

what do people in your case to have success : taper and then wait nerves healing

cheer up !

for anxiety 

in protracted withdrawal

• 2 months later...

Actually the opposite it true. With Akathesia you get relief when you move and with agitation it is only a minor distraction. I have severe agitation and no amount of movement helps.

I have a good friend in Canada that has been to a specialized Akathesia clinic in Vancouver. If he even gets off the couch to go to the kitchen he can sense some relief. The differential diagnosis for akathesia is body anxiety/tension relieved by movement

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

From Current Psychiatry Online http://www.currentpsychiatry.com/article_pages.asp?aid=9691#4 :

Akathisia and suicide. Unrecognized or undertreated akathisia is most commonly associated with antipsychotics, but also can occur with SSRIs. Although akathisia is commonly thought of as a motor syndrome of restlessness, patients may find the less-recognized psychic symptoms of increased inner turmoil and hallucinations just as distressing. This complex of symptoms is associated with an increased risk of suicide.23 If discontinuing the offending agent is not feasible, akathisia can be treated with beta blockers, benzodiazepines, or anticholinergics.24

23. Hirose S. The causes of underdiagnosing akathisia. Schizophr Bull. 2003;29(3):547–558.

24. Kane JM, Fleischhacker WW, Hansen L, et al. Akathisia: an updated review focusing on second-generation antipsychotics. J Clin Psychiatry. 2009;70(5):627–643.

• 1 month later...

After rotating between all sots of meds for several years, including most of the atypical antipsychotics, in about 2009 I began to experience severe akathesia on Invega. Ended up in the ER twice because I was climbing the frickin walls.

Switched to abilify with same story. Switched to risperdal and it was slightly milder, so they called it "RLS" and treated it with more drugs (Miripex sent me on a spending spree, gabapentin seemed to make it bearable.) Haven't taken risperdal since around the beginning of the year. D/ced the gabapentin shortly after that and all was well in Akathesia land. Between then and June I tapered off of Lithium, Welbutran XL, and Clonodine.

Over the past week or so it's gradually been coming back. It's miserable, god it's miserable. It's especially strong in my legs though it's a pretty generalized "inner restlessness" most of the time. I'm having trouble sleeping or even sitting still to type this. Last night I sat in the living room suffering... tonight I'm gonna find something to clean or go for a walk or something.

Is there anything I can do?

The gabapentin use to help when it was caused by the risperdal... but I *really* don't wanna get back into this psych med thing. I don't even want to bring my self to the attention of the "mental health authority" at all. Additionally... I was under the impression that akathesia isn't exactly an organic kind of thing. It's a side effect of certain meds and only a side effect of certain meds. RLS is another debate from what I've read.

Could a withdrawal symptom like that show up a couple weeks after finishing all my tapers, even though during those weeks I didn't seem to experience much in the way of "withdrawal"? (Almost nothing physical. Mostly emotional stuff that didn't last long or get too awful compared to before.) It... will go away eventually though... right? Suggestions, experiences, anything... appreciated

More or less psych drug free since mid June, 2011.

Have tried almost any psych drug you can think of multiple times since 2005 dx of Bipolar.

2010 dx of BPD (instead of bipolar) made me rethink wanting to be on so many meds.

Oct-Nov 2010- d/ced Topomax (don't remember dose) over about a month. Cognitive improved. Anxiety worsened.

Dec 2010- psych added Clonidine for anxiety and messed with dose for a few months(.1 - .2 x2 daily)

Between Jan 2011 and June 2011 - tapered and d/ced risperdal, gabapentin, lithium, synthroid, Welbutrin and finally Clonodine.

During this time also read "Your Drug May Be Your Problem" and became interested in MFI, Icarus and Mad Pride Movement.

Medfree Madness - It's a beautiful thing :D

• Administrator

Hello again, Amanda.

Yes, akathisia is a recognized and very difficult withdrawal symptom.

People have various ways of coping with it. It does go away, but like the other symptoms, it can take quite a while.

I'll let those who've experienced it add their experiences and suggestions.

Yes, akathisia is very much a drug-induced side-effect but also a WD induced symptom.

Amanda, I did have it quite severely for some time but it did eventually lessen in severity and it does completely remit at some point.

I wish I could offer a few non-drug options that would help but I was not able to find anything other than feverishly moving, pacing etc. As you know it's pretty impossible to keep still.

If I may, I'd like to share some things that made akathisia worse for me: Computer exposure and hot baths and/or showers. The hot bathing also made RLS (restless leg syndrome) worse as well.

The akathisia was also more extreme in the early part of the day. As the day progressed it would lessen in intensity (on it's own) however, in my case, it would become re-activated (although not as extreme as in the mornings but still distressing enough) when I was exposed to the computer and/or hot bath.

I had to bathe quickly and in warm water since, baths intensified many other symptoms as well. Showers were out of the question for me due to other WD issues.

Please keep in mind that I had incurred many extreme reactions to the computer and thus, my experience may not be applicable to others who suffer with akathisia. Although, it's impossible for me to be the only case out there who responded in this manner. (lol)

BTW, any medications used to treat RLS or akathisia can produce WD/rebound akathisia and RLS upon cessation, even if one has tapered.

I know how extremely distressing and even torturous this symptom can be but I promise you, this will eventually go away, as Alto mentioned.

So sorry you have to go through this type of suffering.

Much More Healing to You!

Punar

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

Be Not Afraid of Growing Slowly. Be Afraid of Only Standing Still.

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

HI Amanda,

I slow tapered, took me 56 months to get off paxil and i too had the akathedsia, its awful,

some days all you can do is pace and pace and cry - i know, and it seems to ramp up anxiety levels too.

It does get better , all you can do is do what you have to, and try to keep very busy, that will be easy for you, i know, when you cant sit still anyway.

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

I had never heard the word Akathisia until I experienced this horrible demon and researched it a bit.

I would like to describe how it feels to me since taking Lexapro in 2006.

When it is at its most intense I can barely control myself physically. I had never ffelt anything like it before traking the SSRI in 2006. It is not nervousness or anxiety. It feels like an intense tickling sensation in my bones and muscles...mostly in my arms and legs but also in every part of my body. I want to bite my fingers because sometimes pain is a wonderful distraction. I pace and this helps. when it is very bad I want to scream and have done so at times. I feel like I am losing control and that my brain is being squeezed. the sensation can come in waves which increase or diminish over a period of time. Sometimes the sensations have lasted for days. I almost always have some sensation of this every day with only short periods of time on "those lucky days" where I can almost feel at ease.

The intensity is so great sometimes which offers a window of understang as to why a person might take action to end their life. I would describe akathisia as something as bad or worse than pain. Not knowing what is causing it or how to find relief makes this physical problem even more frustrating and scary. Out of all of the dozens of horrible sensations I have experienced due to my adverse reaction to Lexapro, akathisia is definitely the worst. It is like having poison ivy on the entire inside of my body and not being able to itch it.

• 3 months later...

Hi Amanda. I've gone through a few bouts of the Akathisia a few times. The first time was when I had to stop Cymbalta suddenly for an emergency surgery. It lasted a couple of weeks then went away. I had it as a side effect on antipsychotics as well. Especially Geodon. So anyway, I haven't had it for many months now so it did go away for me, thank God. Hang in there.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Hello,

I've been off of Effexor for at least six months, but am still having "creepy crawly" sensations all over my body. Lately it's been getting WORSE and really disrupting my sleep. I've read descriptions of Restless Legs Syndrome, and it kind of fits. I was recently told by a psychiatrist that Effexor can cause RLS, or make it worse. Could Effexor have caused this, and will it ever go away?

Prozac: 1990-2008, Provigil: 2000-2008, Klonapin: 1995-2009 (added for insomnia), Buspar: 1992-2008, Zoloft: don't remember dates, Effexor: 1998- June, 2011 (started taper August, 2010), Wellbutrin: 2002-still taking. Plan to go off Wellbutrin as well, but still reeling from Effexor taper.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello,

I've been off of Effexor for at least six months, but am still having "creepy crawly" sensations all over my body. Lately it's been getting WORSE and really disrupting my sleep. I've read descriptions of Restless Legs Syndrome, and it kind of fits. I was recently told by a psychiatrist that Effexor can cause RLS, or make it worse. Could Effexor have caused this, and will it ever go away?

Just FYI, it seems like somewhere around six months is a common time for AD withdrawal symptoms to ramp up even when the person has been doing pretty well for a while. I don't know why. Seems like "six months" is a number that just comes up a lot for people. This is the point when doctors usually diagnose a "relapse" and put people back on meds it seems like.

I don't have any solid stats on that, it's just an impression I've gotten from reading hundreds (thousands?) of posts on this board and other boards.

Anyway, yes, it WILL ever go away...hang in there! Just remember it's withdrawal.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

I posted a blog about my experience of akathisia and thought I'd post it here for the record as well, it seems there are numerous different experiences of akathisia which is why I was confused about it and whether it applied to my experience until I read "Prozac Panacea or Pandora" by Ann Blake Tracy

My experience of akathisia

Edited by Altostrata
removed duplicate post

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

• Administrator

strawberry, your link works fine.

I deleted the duplicate post as it's also published in full in your topic here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/556-hi-from-strawberry/page__view__findpost__p__14100

Thank you for posting this. Akathisia is an under-recognized adverse effect of psychiatric drugs and antidepressant withdrawal.

• Moderator Emeritus

OK thanks.

Well I only found out recently through reading the book and the anecdotes that actually what I was feeling was akathisia, only I didn't have the restless legs thing, but extreme internal turmoil.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

• Administrator

Right, you can get the internal feeling of akathisia without physical restlessness.

• Moderator Emeritus

It's hard to explain, it's internal adrenaline turmoil, which makes me physically restless because it's impossible to sleep and I was in a constant state of "fight or flight" if that makes sense.

• Administrator

That's an excellent description of this awful symptom!

• 6 months later...
  • Administrator

• 4 weeks later...

I dunno if this really is akathisia - my nerves in my arms and legs feel like they are burning or tingling. Sometimes its bad enough that I have to keep moving my legs to find relief. It's not like RLS though.

Anyway, I discovered vitamin B6 may be helpful for akathisia. So I took 50mg (smallest dose they had) today and it really seemed to help! It also made me a bit drowsy, so I'm going to try taking it before bed from now on.

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine 

• Moderator Emeritus

I dunno if this really is akathisia - my nerves in my arms and legs feel like they are burning or tingling. Sometimes its bad enough that I have to keep moving my legs to find relief. It's not like RLS though.

Anyway, I discovered vitamin B6 may be helpful for akathisia. So I took 50mg (smallest dose they had) today and it really seemed to help! It also made me a bit drowsy, so I'm going to try taking it before bed from now on.

Your description is exactly what I have for RLS which include my arms but happen when I'm trying to sleep as opposed to during the day. I'm going to watch the B6 thing.. interesting.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Your description is exactly what I have for RLS which include my arms but happen when I'm trying to sleep as opposed to during the day. I'm going to watch the B6 thing.. interesting.

Interesting. When I was on mirtazapine I had what I thought was RLS. It felt like a compulsion to move my legs in bed. This is more like I'm moving my legs to get rid of the constant tingling.

it feels distinctively different to me.

I found a couple of studies that suggest B6 might help akathisia -

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16614537

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15554771

I also found some anecdotal reports. One person (on an antipsychotic) said he no longer had akathisia after his doctor prescribed 300mg B6 and 100mg P5P. That's a much higher dose than what I'm taking, but it's not unusual for me to only require small doses of medication and my nerves are sensitive from w/d.

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine 

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't get burning, only tingling. feel a compulsion to move because it gets rid of the tingling. Actually, the movements are more like writhing. Just curious, how is what you have now different from RLS?

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

Be careful with vitamin B6, many sensitized people find it activating instead of soothing.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy