Prescribed and Abandoned--Another Drug Settlement

Skyler

• Moderator Emeritus

Prescribed and Abandoned--Another Drug Settlement

by Martha Rosenberg

November 15, 2012

Alternet

Posted ImageIt was supposed to replace the millions Wyeth lost when its hormone drugs Prempro and Premarin tanked in 2002 thanks to links to breast cancer, heart disease, blood clots and strokes. So many women quit the Wyeth menopause drugs when the risks surfaced, the company announced it would close its Rouses Point, NY plant where it manufactured them and eliminate 1,200 jobs. No wonder Pristiq, a serotonin/norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI) looked like the way to retain the lucrative menopause market. It wasn't a hormone.

But the FDA had other plans. Though it approved Pristiq in 2008 for the treatment of adults with major depressive disorder, it gave no such green light to Pristiq for hot flashes associated with menopause. There were too many safety signals.

Why did two women in the study group taking Pristiq have heart attacks and three need procedures to repair clogged arteries compared with none taking placebo, asked the FDA? Why did trials disclose serious liver complications? How could Wyeth assure the long term safety of Pristiq when 604 of the 2,158 test subjects took it for only six months? Seventeen suicides were also reported in Pristiq’s post-marketing data.

This week Pfizer, who acquired Wyeth in 2009, agreed to settle a class-action lawsuit by former Wyeth shareholders claiming they were misled about Pristiq's risks, for $67.5 million. Pristiq has already cost the company severely, losing it$7.6 billion in market value when the FDA refused the menopause indication, reports Reuters.

Even before this week's settlement, Pristiq had few friends in the Pharma community. “Pristiq is not a good drug by any standard,” wrote an anonymous poster on the industry chatroom cafepharma when the FDA declined the menopause indication.

“We tried to get 100 mg approved as the standard dose. But our patients got so sick that they care less about the efficacy," wrote another poster. "They just couldn’t tolerate the drug long enough to see any improvement."

Would women want to trade “hot flashes for decreased libido, nausea, increased blood pressure and incredible withdrawal issues” found with Pristiq asked another poster? “Women and their physicians are not as gullible as they were back in the Premarin days.”

Psychiatrist Daniel Carlat, who wrote a 2007 New York Times Magazine exposé about working as a Wyeth-paid spokesman selling Effexor to other doctors, also weighed in on Pristiq. “Every patient who takes Effexor produces Pristiq in their own body, at no additional charge,” he wrote in a blog article titled “Top 5 Reasons to Forget about Pristiq.” Pristiq is a metabolite of Wyeth's antidepressant Effexor XR which netted $3.7 billion in 2006 and was viewed as an unabashed patent extender for when Effexor XR went off patent in 2010.

The hormone drugs made by Pfizer, formerly Wyeth, proved so harmful to women, many said the "H" in HRT stood for hoax. This week's Pristiq settlement suggests there are more drugs in the hoax category. Read More

Edited by Altostrata
added author name to conform to Creative Commons Attribution License

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Excellent!

I believe there are MANY more drugs in the hoax category. The Women's Health Initiative is very convoluted with Wyeth calling alot of the shots. They began the fight against bioidentical hormones during that time also. Compounded bioidenticals are not patentable, but are competition to patented hormone products such as Prempro, etc. ('Natural' is a different category and I'm not certain of distinction)

I won't claim to understand all of the risks and benefits of hormones. It differs from person to person. However, my thought, as of today, is that they are less dangerous than the drugs used for conditions they may help: osteoporosis, hyperlipidemia, heart disease, etc. I'm not referring to using them for menopausal symptoms only.

*Opinion subject to change*

I think there's alot more to this story.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

Thanks, Schuyler. Please add source, author, and date when posting pointers to articles.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

I believe there are MANY more drugs in the hoax category.

Kinda hair raising, even when we know this stuff goes on it never ceases to stupify.

Thanks, Schuyler. Please add source, author, and date when posting pointers to articles.

Oops... knew I was forgetting something!

Posted by Martha Rosenberg on Alternet.org at 11:54 am November 15, 2012

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

How do you guys think the new national health overhaul will affect the drug companies? My first thought is that the influx of new patients with first time insurance will stress capacity resulting in more quickie visits that end with a script -- like I've seen from the guys I know who went through Texas Health Services. This will increase orders from the drug manufacturers, I'd assume. What do you guys think?

Not to debate merits of the incoming system. We have what we have. I'm just spitballing how it might play out.

//and sorry to hijack.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

How do you guys think the new national health overhaul will affect the drug companies? My first thought is that the influx of new patients with first time insurance will stress capacity resulting in more quickie visits that end with a script -- like I've seen from the guys I know who went through Texas Health Services. This will increase orders from the drug manufacturers, I'd assume. What do you guys think?

Not to debate merits of the incoming system. We have what we have. I'm just spitballing how it might play out.

//and sorry to hijack.

I sadly agree Alex.

I also think the increased emphasis on evidenced based medicine that I believe Obama Care is emphasizing is going to result in more prescriptions for drugs. I mean, drugs are the answer to everything, right? :rolleyes:

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Moderator Emeritus

I also think the increased emphasis on evidenced based medicine that I believe Obama Care is emphasizing is going to result in more prescriptions for drugs. I mean, drugs are the answer to everything, right? :rolleyes:

CS

Especially when Big Pharma can hokey up the evidence to suit their purposes! :angry:

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

CS

Especially when Big Pharma can hokey up the evidence to suit their purposes! :angry:

Evidence based means it's possible to measure 'outcomes' and spin the results, all bias strictly intentional.

"Evidence-based medicine"

[¡¡ insert screaming, pulling- hair-out-while-holding-hands-over-ears emoticon !!]

BAD subject in my home as hubby's work is to enforce treatment guidelines backed by EBM.

He's read some of Whitaker's and Kirsch's work and is realizing the poor design and outright fraud of antidepressant studies.

But then maintains that "the treatment guidelines for chronic pain uphold SNRIs as 1st line.."

Go figure!

Sorry. What was the original question??

Where will Obamacare take us? Nowhere good, I'm afraid, although I don't believe it's a party issue. Pharma runs healthcare (and health insurance) in a bipartisan manner.

Also, EBM leaves no room for Outliers nor does it allow or encourage doctors to think for themselves. Their diagnostic skills are obsolete, replaced by a cookie-cutter algorithm.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

FYI.

FEDS propose Obamacare rule that boosts pharma

Pharmalot

http://www.pharmalot.com/2012/11/feds-propose-obamacare-rule-that-boosts-pharma/

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy