SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Ibid: Prozac stopped doing it

Ibid

There's a fairly long history of drugs here, since I'm old, so let me (free) associate a bit:

I was in therapy (with a shrink) for about a year beginning in 1985. The reason I mention this is that there was no suggestion that medication was warranted. (This was, of course, just before Prozac captured the public mind.) What had happened was a rather boring relationship breakup and I was simply messed up from it. Got a scrip for Halcyon; used it occasionally only. (But check out Wm Styron's Darkness Visible)

In about 2000 I began reading about adult ADHD and became convinced I had it and that my elementary school teachers had missed it. I had (have) all the symptoms. Was referred to a shrink who's the top expert on AD(H)D in the New Orleans area. She readily confirmed my self-diagnosis and prescribed Ritalin and Wellbutrin. Drove me out of my mind; she shifted me to Ritalin and Prozac; still whacked out so we decided on Prozac alone. Great stuff--for a while.

So now (or should I say then) I'm in the hands of the psychomed establishment. Who knows whether I was still ADD or whether I'm now depressive--or both. I've always been a light sleeper, but I was prescribed (first) mirtazepine and (second) lorazepam.

So here's my cocktail: fluoxetine, mirtazepine, and lorazepam. A pretty strong mix.

I didn't mention that I'm a fairly heavy drinker (3-4 glasses of fine wine/day), approved by my shrink. However, around 2010 the drinking escalated to 4-6 glasses/day and it was clearly time to do something about it. (I'm open to suggestion about whether my brain is ruined by the drug interactions.) However, on September 23, 2011, I gave up alcohol. No withdrawal, no AA involvement, good decision.

In November 2011 I gave up fluoxetine. (Didn't taper, have never tapered, didn't know it was a good idea--even after discussing with shrink.) Withdrawal symptoms were awful, mostly brain zaps and irritability.) Went back to the fluox. Stayed on it, but no booze, until January 2013. Forgot to take the fluox for a couple of days, then decided not to take it anymore. Brain zaps, but they seem to be my friends this time. Minor irritability, but not so bad; friends have been supportive. In short, I'm making it. Two months in, I'm fluox free! (I know, the half life is long and there may be problems to come; we'll see!)

This leaves me with the question of mirtazepine and, to a lesser extent (because I rarely use it) lorazepam. The plan (need to find a new shrink and discuss it) is to taper the mirtaz beginning in a month or so. I've read the mirtazepine posts on this site and thank those who have contributed.

Thanks to you all, I've done a lot of reading on antidepressants and their ability to ruin the brain. Hope I'll be OK. I'm 68 years old, determined to be "clean." My name is Ibid.

Edited by peggy
adding name to title

Diagnosed w/ ADD and minor depression in 1990. Fluoxetine 20 mg/day. Also methylphenidate, but hated it and quit after about a week. Quit fluoxetine cold turkey (ignorance) 18 January 2013. Experienced brain zaps, flu symptoms, heart palpitations. Nothing after August 2013. Mirtazapine 15 mg/day for sleep beginning around 1999. Began tapering August 2013.  As of March 2015 I'm off mirtazapine and antidepressant free. Don't sleep well after sunrise, feel anxious and sad some of the time, still have tinnitus. Still occasionally take lorazepam for anxiety but never more than 1 mg.  Prescribed metoprolol (beta blocker) for atrial fibrillation diagnosed June 2013. Medical  opinion (two cardiologists) is that it's not caused by fluoxetine w/drawal and is a dangerous, chronic condition requiring lifelong medication. As of Aug 2013 heart palpitations for the most part ceased. Tapered beta blocker and am off of it as of Jan 2015. No wd symptoms or recurring afib at all so far. Maybe it was wd after all, but doctors don't think so, surprise surprise. However, a small victory: the last doctor I related this to shrugged her shoulders. Getting lots of exercise, which has me physically pretty robust at age 71 in spite of persistence of mirt wd symptoms, mainly insomnia and anxiety, but also jaw-clenching annoyance at noises of a certain pitch and timbre. Incessant media fixation on the presidential campaign has ruined my disposition and my faith in the future. My Introduction.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Ibid, and welcome! You will find lots of friendly support here as you get ready to begin your mirtazapine taper. This site recommends a 10% per month taper to avoid shocking your nervous system.

You can find a discussion about reducing mirtazapine here:

tips for reducing mirtazapine

There are also topics about cutting and weighing tablets or making a solution to enable you to make the 10% reductions.

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

Well, thanks, Peggy. I need to curb my tendency toward euphoria here, i.e. since the fluox w/d seems to be going well, why not try to stop mirtazepine cold turkey? I may taper more repidly than is suggested, but we'll see. I appreciate all the advice I'm getting!

Diagnosed w/ ADD and minor depression in 1990. Fluoxetine 20 mg/day. Also methylphenidate, but hated it and quit after about a week. Quit fluoxetine cold turkey (ignorance) 18 January 2013. Experienced brain zaps, flu symptoms, heart palpitations. Nothing after August 2013. Mirtazapine 15 mg/day for sleep beginning around 1999. Began tapering August 2013.  As of March 2015 I'm off mirtazapine and antidepressant free. Don't sleep well after sunrise, feel anxious and sad some of the time, still have tinnitus. Still occasionally take lorazepam for anxiety but never more than 1 mg.  Prescribed metoprolol (beta blocker) for atrial fibrillation diagnosed June 2013. Medical  opinion (two cardiologists) is that it's not caused by fluoxetine w/drawal and is a dangerous, chronic condition requiring lifelong medication. As of Aug 2013 heart palpitations for the most part ceased. Tapered beta blocker and am off of it as of Jan 2015. No wd symptoms or recurring afib at all so far. Maybe it was wd after all, but doctors don't think so, surprise surprise. However, a small victory: the last doctor I related this to shrugged her shoulders. Getting lots of exercise, which has me physically pretty robust at age 71 in spite of persistence of mirt wd symptoms, mainly insomnia and anxiety, but also jaw-clenching annoyance at noises of a certain pitch and timbre. Incessant media fixation on the presidential campaign has ruined my disposition and my faith in the future. My Introduction.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ibid

Welcome to the forum. I'm tapering off mirtazapine. A couple of questions for you. How much mirtazapine do you take and does it help you sleep?

I had a range of symptoms when I've gone cold turkey but since slow tapering with the help of liquid mirtzapine, the most enduring and troubling symptom has been insomnia.

Cheers

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Hello, Delsaan. I take a 30 mg cap every night. Hate myself for it, especially, as you see, the foolish rationale behind my taking it in the first place. I guess it helps me sleep although not so much anymore. (I just took one and think I'll go to bed soon.) I'd read your posts earlier tonight and that's what made me decide to stop being a voyeur and begin sharing my own pathetic experience. Blessings on you for all your pain and your resolve to overcome it! Ibid

Dalsaan, please excuse my misspelling of your name in previous post. Ibid

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Ibid. Glad to see another New Orleanian here.

I would definitely recommend tapering off your remaining drugs versus quitting them cold turkey. The long term effects of withdrawal often seem to stem from nervous system destabliziation, and going cold turkey makes destabilizing much more likely. It seems plausible that the brain might not be as neuroplastic in older age and hence not able to heal itself as quickly, so you should take extra care to go off the drugs smoothly.

People do often report a link between anti-depressant use and escalating drinking habits. But then again, just living in New Orleans can make those glasses of wine add up. So who knows.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi ibid

I recommend you wait until you know you are in the clear on the Prozac. Then develop a tapering strategy based on the guidelines provided here

If you don't wait to see with the Prozac you could end up with withdrawals from both (which wouldn't be great) and also lack clarity about what's causing your symptoms. That's not a great place to be in

I'm not sure how long to wait on the Prozac question, others might be better placed to say when it's safe to assume you are free of it.

The other key thing to know about mirtazapine is that the sleep effects are more powerful at lower doses. When people start taking it if they are too sleepy they are encouraged to increase their dose

This means that sleep problems may become more of an issue as you drop down

Having said all of that, you can do it. Make good decisions for yourself, ask questions and I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ibid, Welcome to our group! You will find people here very supportive and caring.

My biggest concern is that you could have withdrawal symptoms from cold-turkey of the Prozac for much longer than you'd expect or hope for.

Brain zaps are not a good sign but I'm sure you know this already. According to your signature, you've only been off it a little over a month so it might not be too late to reinstate a very small amount, stabilize, then taper off more slowly. Im sorry, I'm sure you didn't want to hear that.

You could get liquid Prozac which would make small tapering easier.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/759-tips-for-tapering-off-prozac-fluoxetine/

Alto is the best to advise on this (about reinstatement) , I'm sure she will give you good advice. I've followed her suggestions and have never regretted it.

• Administrator

Ibid, going on and off drugs, particularly cold turkey, as you have, can make the nervous system sensitive to dosage changes and neurologically active substances in general.

Your nervous system is not made of rubber. You've gotten away with some daring risks in the past, don't take it for granted you can continue to do this. Read a few of the Intro topics here to find out what happens when you lose the bet.

Avoiding lasting neurological dysfunction is worth the inconvenience of tapering.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, Ibid. I'm 67 so I can assure you that you'll recover from the drugs, although it may take somewhat longer than a person decades younger.

I'm very uneasy about your plan to go off mirtazepine right away and cold turkey, too. Please consider that the mirtazepine could very well be masking the usual withdrawal symptoms from a cold turkey off Prozac. In addition, many people have reported going cold turkey off an SSRI only to have withdrawal bite them on the bum months later.

I was on a similar cocktail in early winter of 2011. I was able to do a very quick taper off of Remeron (mirtazepine) because I was doped to the gills with Pristiq. Several weeks later I was switched from Pristiq to Lexapro with no problems. Coming off the Lexapro some months later was another story. I "tapered" over a three month period, and that was far too fast. I went through several months of pure hell and am still not completely recovered nearly fifteen months afterward. My symptoms in the past seven months have mostly been neuro-emotions (baseless sadness and anxiety, now almost completely faded) and an emotional numbness that isn't going away nearly as fast as I'd like.

This is not a race of any sort, so take it easy. There is no point at all in rushing to get the drug out of your system, because the drug makes changes in the brain and those changes are what cause withdrawal symptoms, not the drug itself. Those changes don't reverse for months or even years, far longer than it takes to simply get the drug out of your body and they are what causes a painful withdrawal when the drug is discontinued too fast. Your now modified brain is going to need the (very gradually decreasing) chemical support of the drug as it returns to normal function.

Please reconsider and don't make this any harder than it needs to be. Browse the site, ask questions, et cetera, before making any further changes. You'll find lots of solid information and friendly support here.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Thanks, all. I'm not going to go cold turkey with Remeron. Will try to avoid flights of fancy in the future. Don't think I'll resume Prozac--at least not today--but I'll definitely wait longer than I'd planned before attacking the Remeron. Thanks for all the good wishes and advice. Ibid

p.s. Just finished Robert Whitaker Anatomy of an Epidemic after reading a recommendation for it somewhere on this site. Thumbs up. Answered a lot of my questions about long-term problems and causes of withdrawal.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm relieved that you won't cold turkey the remeron. If I were you, I'd let my nervous system calm down before starting to taper it. I can't remember, that may have already been said. It was early when I first read all the replies. If so, please forgive me :rolleyes: for the redundance.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ibid

How are you traveling?

Dalsaan

Hi Ibid

How are you traveling?

Dalsaan

Hi Dalsaan. Doing pretty well but not yet ready to try to get off the mirtazepine. Best to you and I'll keep you informed. Must find a new shrink and I've been traveling so now I'm back and will work on that one. Ibid

Hello Ibid,

Welcome to the forum. You have a regal way of conducting yourself which I find enjoyable.

I know from my experience that complication is the enemy of disengagement. For me, I've made a few choices that in retrospect were mistakes because they clouded a situation that needed no unnecessary clouding. For that reason alone -- it can be a very important reason -- I would have, in retrospect, tapered one drug at a time and held a 100 good days before beginning the next taper.

I like to consider risk. In the bad scenarios a lot of uncertainty is mitigated by going slower. The only downside of going slower is that it takes longer and most people are impatient. But, generally, unless there is a compelling reasons against, I've done much better being patient.

Of course with risk, the downsides are only appreciated by the statistically inclined and by the misfortunate.

good luck,

Bryan

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• 2 weeks later...

Well, to report in, I'm still doing OK with the Prozac w/drawal. Brain zaps have grown less frequent and my disposition a bit more sunny--or so say my significant others. One of these days I'll give y'all a history of my tinnitus, which I'm trying to figure out and which I will discuss with my new shrink when I find him/her. It's manageable; I think I've had it all my life, but didn't know what to call it and assumed for a long time that everyone had it.

I forgot to take the Remeron and the Ativan a couple of nights ago and spent the night in a semi-slumber, unable to wake up enough to pop a couple of pills but aware of not being out of it (i.e. asleep). Felt like HELL all the next day, but resumed both and now feel great. During the miserable day the tinnitus increased in volume but the brain zaps vanished. WTF? (I mention this tedious piece of news because I hope that someday some genius or some algorithm will crunch a few million words, connect a bunch of dots and figure out how to treat both instead of just listing about thirty possible causes [of tinnitus].)

Thanks especially to Alexijice for the advice to wait 100 days before proceeding. The above experience has made me cautious. B)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ibid,

I'm glad you are recovering as well as you are. I know it could be better but it could also be a lot worse. I'm sorry about your having tinnitus, that's very annoying, I have it too.

I can't be certain but I think Vitamin B Complex is toning it down some for me. It's not nearly as loud as it was before I began B Complex, plus I forgot to take it one day last week and tinnitus was louder the next day.

I'm not willing to leave it off for an experiment. Stress depletes B vitamins, a lot of other things deplete them too. I've always needed B Complex and have taken it off and on since my twenties.

I had geographic tongue and my doc said he thought it was from some vitamin deficiency. While reading a book about vitamins, I learned that any abnormality of the tongue is usually from a lack of some B vitamin. I started taking it and 'voila!', within days my tongue was normal! It had been raw and bled when I brushed it. Sorry if too much info!

I've googled B Complex and tinnitus and found some related articles with pretty good explanations. Like I said, I'm not sure but it may be worth trying.

I'm convinced that illness is, most of the time, directly caused by either lack or excess of vitamins or minerals

Tezza

Hi,Ibid:

I'm sorry about your having tinnitus, that's very annoying, I have it too...I can't be certain but I think Vitamin B Complex is toning it down some for me. It's not nearly as loud as it was before I began B Complex, plus I forgot to take it one day last week and tinnitus was louder the next day.

Tezza

Thanks, Tezza. I've been taking B Complex--and lots of other vitamins--for thirty years. I started it because it seemed to eliminate back spasms, of all things. And I hardly ever have back spasms anymore. Am convinced I couldn't live without it. If, one of these days, I decide to stop taking it, I'll let you know the effect on the tinnitus.

Ibid

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi ibid

Thanks for dropping by my post. I appreciated your visit

Glad to hear you are going ok with the Prozac taper. Your experience with not taking your other meds is curious. Like most of what we deal with, asking WTF is as good as it gets

Hope things keep going ok for you

Dalsaan

• Administrator

When did the brain zaps start?

Are you taking fish oil?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Are you taking fish oil?

IConcerning zaps, I wrote on 27 Feb (see above): In November 2011 I gave up fluoxetine. (Didn't taper, have never tapered, didn't know it was a good idea--even after discussing with shrink.) Withdrawal symptoms were awful, mostly brain zaps and irritability.) Went back to the fluox. Stayed on it, but no booze, until January 2013. Forgot to take the fluox for a couple of days, then decided not to take it anymore. Brain zaps, but they seem to be my friends this time. Minor irritability, but not so bad; friends have been supportive. In short, I'm making it. Two months in, I'm fluox free! (I know, the half life is long and there may be problems to come; we'll see!)

Concerning fish oil: No--what is fish oil and why should/shouldn't I take it? FYI: zaps are pretty much gone now.

Thanks for your interest, Altostrata. Any advice? I'm more or less comfortable but flailing about, trying to figure out the next step.

Ibid

P.s. I keep reading about you and think you're doing a great service with this blog and with your interrogation of the "experts."

Are you taking fish oil?

Altostrata: Just read all the web info I could easily on tinnitus and fish oil. Very good question you asked, but, no, I've never taken fish oil, although we eat lots of seafood in New Orleans.

Ibid

• Administrator

Thank you.

See our topic on fish oil in Symptoms and Self-care. It can support healing from withdrawal, it provides essential nervous system nutrients.

Thank you.

See our topic on fish oil in Symptoms and Self-care. It can support healing from withdrawal, it provides essential nervous system nutrients.

You just sent me through about 200 topics looking for what you suggest. A link would have been helpful. Is this a little overwhelming?

• Moderator Emeritus

There is a discussion on fish oil on he first page of symptoms and self care. There is also a search field.

Keeping up with people's needs for assistance can be overwhelming for mods/admin, particularly given that we are all still experiencing withdrawal

and go through the same trials and tribulations of Amy other member

Dalsaan

There is a discussion on fish oil on he first page of symptoms and self care. There is also a search field.

Keeping up with people's needs for assistance can be overwhelming for mods/admin, particularly given that we are all still experiencing withdrawal

and go through the same trials and tribulations of Amy other member

Dalsaan

Sorry, neither seems to work. Over and out!

• Administrator

At the top of the Symptoms forum, there are several permanently pinned topics that are guides to the core contents of the forum

See Important topics about tests, supplements, herbs, treatments

• 2 weeks later...

At the top of the Symptoms forum, there are several permanently pinned topics that are guides to the core contents of the forum

See Important topics about tests, supplements, herbs, treatments

Fish oil is by no means established as a useful antidepressant. You shouldn't be recommending such untested treatments. It certainly has no demonstrated effect on tinnitus, which is what we were talking about. Not sure where your query came from. Ibid.

• Administrator

Actually, fish oil has been proven to be helpful at times in depression. However, I didn't suggest it for that purpose.

....See our topic on fish oil in Symptoms and Self-care. It can support healing from withdrawal, it provides essential nervous system nutrients.

If you're finding you're not getting the info you want here, or if you don't like the style it's in, there are many other withdrawal forums you might want to join.

• Moderator Emeritus

There have been many studies linking omega-3 fatty acids to brain health. I'm skeptical when it's proposed as a cure to more social type ills, but there's good reason to think that it helps with brain function in general. Many people here (and elsewhere) have found it helpful. Even if it turns out to be a dud, it's harmless.

Alto is very conservative about recommending supplements, and fish oil is about as uncontroversial as it gets.

Hope you're doing okay, keep us updated.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• 1 month later...

Just thought I should report in. And there are a couple of questions I thought I'd throw out. 

My fluoxetine withdrawal has been fine--I think. After about 2 months w/o Prozac I (around April 15) began getting frequent palpitations. Now this is something my family has had to deal with for generations. However, I'm wondering if atrial fibrillation is something any of you have had to deal with as you've withdrawn from antidepressants.

A-fib sent me to a cardiologist, who has prescribed a beta blocker. So far so good, but I stopped my mirtazepine taper due to not being able to distinguish prozac w/d from beta blocker side effects. Don't want to mess with two problems at a time, especially since one of them is potentially deadly. So--does anyone have experience w/ beta blockers? 

So, anyway, here I am doing generally well and feeling awful about the things many of you are going through. Went to a new shrink and suggested that his profession throws some new drug at some new symptom but has no clue how to get people off drugs. He was sympathetic but, I'd say, patronizing. This is becoming an outrage and I read more to this effect all the time. 

My very best to all who are really suffering. Reading your stories been very important to me. And made me really pissed off!

• Administrator
So far so good, but I stopped my mirtazepine taper due to not being able to distinguish prozac w/d from beta blocker side effects.

What were your Prozac withdrawal symptoms and what side effects did you get when you started beta blockers?

So far so good, but I stopped my mirtazepine taper due to not being able to distinguish prozac w/d from beta blocker side effects.

What were your Prozac withdrawal symptoms and what side effects did you get when you started beta blockers?

Cold turkey off Prozac in January; no significant w/drawal--a bit of irritability and mild brain zaps. Four months in, both are gone. Beta blockers--or else beginning tapering mirtazapine (90%)--gave me a few mild headaches and a bit of fatigue. All in all, much more benign than I expected. Decided to stop the mirt taper temporarily and now have no effects from the beta blocker except that a-fib is much improved. My symptoms have been very mild; just wondering if anyone else has had fibrillation or palpitation issues after AD discontinuation. 

• Administrator

Yes, heart palpitations and other symptoms are very common among withdrawal symptoms. Good to hear the beta blocker seems to be working without a lot of side effects.

Yes, heart palpitations and other symptoms are very common among withdrawal symptoms. Good to hear the beta blocker seems to be working without a lot of side effects.

This is good to know, I guess. Two cardiologists and two GP's looked at me like I was insane when I mentioned the possibility. As I said, a-fib runs in my family, but it suddenly became much more frequent about 2 months after quitting Prozac.