SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

mini3585: Possible withdrawal effects from rispiradone+/AD's?

mini3585

Hi there! This is going to be a long post so please bear with me! I had postnatal depression after the birth of my son in 2007...undiagnosed for 11 months, I was started on Citalopram which was fab. I recovered on that and then decided to stop it, I had no withdrawals and stopped it with no problems.

Move forward - December 2010 and the birth of my 2nd son, 8 hours of post birth agitation, crying, depression, hysteria...all started within an hour of birth - must've been my hormones! I was seen by the mental health midwife team and because of my history of PND previously was started on Sertraline 50mg (the only AD they recommended for a breastfeeding mother!). I started it 3 days later as there was a delay in getting the tablets despite the fact that with one dose of diazepam, 4 hours of sleep and within 24 hours of giving birth I felt much better...I got through the next few days absolutely fine.

It was a week after starting Sertraline I suddenly woke up with the worst sweating and anxiety and panic EVER! I did consider stopping them but after a visit to the G.P. - in fact I saw my Dr every day for a week...he convinced me it was depression and anxiety and to carry on with the meds. Within 10 days of starting them I was admitted to a psychiatric mother and baby unit for 'management' My sertraline was increased even though the symptoms had started to get better...again exactly a week after the increase in dose all the symptoms came back worse resulting in a further increase until I was on the maximum 200mg.

After about 3 weeks I was still suffering the anxiety symptoms although the symptoms were mostly physical not psychological. Plus hearing, and eye sight disturbances, dizzyness, nausea, slowed heart rate, low blood pressure. Eventually these things got easier but I was still weepy and 'depressed'. So they decided to 'kick start' the AD with an antipsychotic - Risperidone, 1mg. I started with tiredness and after a few weeks muscle aches - I was given procyclidine which I took (and still do to help with the leg stiffness). Got out of hospital after 3 months better but not right. Mood swings...mood up and down..super happy one week, depressed the next, lack of energy and motivation, unable to function normally. August 2012 - suicide attempt.

I saw my psychiatrist and it was decided to change my AD to mirtazipine...weaned down the sertraline as instructed over 3 weeks then stopped. Started the mirt. at the same time as weaning the sertraline. Result..sudden increase in physical symptoms of anxiety and sweating...got really bad about a week after stopping sertraline for about 3 days then went back to the level it was at when it started. I decided maybe it was the effect of the mirt. so under advice of my psychiatrist weaned off the mirt. Had 2 weeks of horrendous withdrawals then the anxiety went back to the level it had been at before I weaned the mirt.

So no we were thinking had the sertraline been masking side effects of risperidone and when I changed to mirt. they surfaced??? Decided to wean the rispiradone as I had started with muscle tremors, sweating, nausea all in the mornings starting about 6am til 10 or 11 am, always at the same time and never at any other point in the day...I did it quite quickly, a few days after dropping the dose by a tiny amount I would get increase in anxiety symptoms then it would go back to what it had been and so I would then drop the dose again after about a week of it being at the 'normal'level.

Im now off the risperidone for 14 days and the tremors are no better neither is the anxiety. My muscles are stiff and painful somedays. I never had any of this before meds. I had a couple of good days with hardly any tremors or anxiety day 11 and 12 after stopping the risperidone so I thought I was starting to recover from the withdrawal. Today I have started with an uncontrollable urge to cry :( I had thought that the sertraline had been masking the effects of risperidone and that coming off it would sort the problems. The anxiety started again (its physical symptoms of anxiety, Im able to function normally mentally even with all the sweating, tremors, and prickling of skin, I get adrenaline rushes -frequently) when I weaned the sertraline and started the mirt and has been with me ever since even though its been approx 5 months off the sert. and 2-3months off the mirt.

Thanks for reading, any advice or alternative therapy advice would be appreciated. I know I am suffering and maybe have stopped the risperidone +/ the other meds a little too quickly but I don't want to go back on it at all as the other effects I was getting combined with what Im getting now would be too much to tolerate. I'm hoping this will end soon and any knowledge from people who have gone through it would be helpful :)

Edited by scallywag
added tags; previous edit by Karma to add white space

Started on Sertraline 50mg January 2011 (increased to 200mg over a couple of months)
Started on Risperidone for 'resistant depression' end of Feb 2011
Stopped Sertraline October 2012
Started Mirtazipine October 2012
Stopped Mirtazipine December 2012
Stopped Risperidone March 2013

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mini3585

• Altostrata

• tezza

• Edted

Top Posters In This Topic

My current psychiatrist (a different one to the one that increased my sert. and started the risperidone) totally agrees from my symptoms that everything I have suffered was due to the side effect of the meds and not due to me. In fact she was very surprised the first consultant did not put all the evidence together and come to the same conclusion. She says I have been super sensitive to seretonin hence all the side effects. I have been totally mismanaged. I do not feel depressed at all, in fact my mood has been VERY stable since stopping the AD's. I v had none of the high and lows, swinging moods I was getting prior to stopping them, nor the feelings of suicide. Mentally I am so much better than when I was on them. Physically its a different story as posted above. Psychologically I have no need for these drugs and the AD was only started as a precaution...I can't tell you how many times I have cried over that decision to start taking them or the guilt of putting, my older boy through 3 months of being without his mother or the effects this has had on him. He is very insecure at times since.

I can't help feeling so guilty for him, and now I am suffering physically. Sorry to go on. And thanks for reading :)

Started on Sertraline 50mg January 2011 (increased to 200mg over a couple of months)

Dear Mini:

I am so glad you found this site. It's still early in the morning and I'm sure that moderators will be coming on line soon to help you. Assuming that you have had some time to explore this forum, you at least have had a chance to see that you are not alone. It's great that you have a psychiatrist who sounds like she will work with you...that is, sadly, very rare. I am a male and have never read up on PND, but there are folks here who will be very familiar with what started you on the meddy-go-round, and , more importantly, how to get off. Feelings of guilt about the effects of medical mismanagement on the victim's loved ones seem common, however misplaced. Regrets, yes...guilt, no. When someone more knowledgeable than I am reds your posts, they may want to know what you mean by adrenaline rushes. If you read about risperidone in psych mags, you will see references to risperidone,s "irreversible" antagonism of serotonin receptors. My son was on risperidone at one time and when I read that, I was very concerned. On further reading, you will find that (typical of medical jargon) irreversible does not mean irreversible. It means that the serotonin receptors damaged by the drug will not recover, but in time the cells themselves will go through normal apoptosis (cell death) and be replaced by new cells with healthy receptors. That process just makes recovery a bit longer. With the help of the people here, you will get past this. Hang in there.

Ed

Edited by Altostrata
fixed typo
  • Moderator Emeritus

Ahhhh nuts. Typo above. Assuming came out as "ass musing". Ain't "auto correct" amazing?

Ed,

I needed a laugh! Once, I was posting about the time I decided to " jump off" a med and auto correct changed it to "Jim off". I was glad it didn't use the other male name beginning with a J.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi mini,

Welcome to the group! Yours is a complicated situation. Please don't feel guilty, if you had known, I'm sure you would never have started any of these medications. We trust the medical professionals to know what is best for us. Unfortunately, we learn too late, they did NOT know what was best for us.

I did experience PND with my first child but maybe not to the same extreme as you. I stopped breast feeding when he was one month old and it got better right away, then gradually it completely resolved. Still, I feel it caused me not to bond well with my first baby in the beginning. There is nothing I can do about that.

I'm currently tapering Risperidone and mirtazipine; however, my situation is quite different in comparison. I did have a very depressed mood when I cold-turkeyed the Risperidone. I stayed off it for two weeks and did not eat a bite of food during those two weeks, even though I was hungry. My best solution was to reinstate and taper off much more slowly.

I do wonder what you mean by 'adrenaline rushes', is it like panic attacks? Rapid heartbeat? Are you sleeping well?

Of the list of medications you've been on, I would say the mirtazipine was probably the least harmful as far as side effects go. I understand your not desiring to reinstate any of the meds.

Please browse through the Symptoms and Self-care section. There are some very helpful suggestions there for coping with symptoms. I'm truly sorry you are going through this!

Tezza

Thank you for the replies! I use the phrase adrenaline rush as its what my current psychiatrist suggested it was when I described to her what I was feeling. It started with the change over from sertraline to mirtazipine, got worse a week after I stopped the sertraline for about 4 days and then went back to the level it was when I first started the change over of AD's. Then worse again for 2 weeks after stopping the mirt. then back to the level it was at. Thats where its at now. When I withdrew from the mirtazipine the anxiety was so bad I paced up and down for hours and hours. I had all the physical symptoms of anxiety...I only became mentally panicky when they got too bad to put up with. I had really bad full body shakes, flu like symptoms, nausea and vomiting, looked grey to my face...the whole bloody withdrawal list I think.

The 'rushes' were every few minutes for 3 days, it was like a 'light' feeling rushing to my chest..I couldn't decide if on its own it was a pleasant excitement type rush or a panic...hard to say really. Heart beating faster, breathing faster, just lasted seconds to a couple of mins at a time, but frequently. I get them in the mornings still with everything else. Like I say there is no mental anxiety or panic, I'm still able to get up and get my kids ready for the school run. I hold down a full time job too. I sometimes take a propranolol when its really bad, not sure if it works or if everything just runs its course naturally as the morning gets on.

For the first time this morning I had pain in my arms, never had it before. Some mornings I feel like im trying to wade through water or like there are weights in my thighs - the procyclidine takes it away almost completely within an hour of taking - as with the propranolol I only take it on the worst days. My first psychiatrist said this was definitely a side effect of the risperidone.

I hope this makes more sense. Sorry about the long post again, I will try to be more to the point in future posts :)

Ahhhh nuts. Typo above. Assuming came out as "ass musing". Ain't "auto correct" amazing?

Very funny, you made me smile with that!

• Administrator

Welcome, mini.

The symptoms you describe in http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4031-mini3585-possible-withdrawal-effects-from-rispiradoneads/page__view__findpost__p__47186 are classic withdrawal symptoms.

I'm glad, too, that it seems you have a compassionate doctor. You might ask her to look at this site. Does she know anything about tapering people off psychiatric drugs?

Often, we suggest reinstatement of a small dose when someone has withdrawal symptoms, but in your case it's very difficult to determine which drug might compensate for withdrawal and which might make it worse.

Sometimes a very small amount of lamotrigine, up to 5mg, helps. See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/392-one-theory-of-antidepressant-withdrawal-syndrome/

It may take quite a while for you to recover from all the drug adverse effects. In the meantime, you need to take care of yourself to support healing. Please see our Symptoms and Self-care forum.

(Ed, I fixed your typo.)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you everyone.

As I said before, the mood swings the suicidal thoughts sort of prompted the change in AD's and when that didn't work it was decided I was feeling like that because of them not because of me. I think the fact I had taken an overdose concerned my doctor and she wanted me off them as soon as I was able to. I suppose I was at risk of trying to harm myself with the next swing in mood. I can understand why the taper was possibly quicker than it would have been had I not done this. As for the risperidone - the muscle stiffness was getting so bad some days I was finding it hard to move. I suppose with a family to look after and full time work this could not go on. I thought the longer I am on it the more I am suffering everything gradually getting worse with time.

Since my last post the muscle pain has spread all over my body, I feel like im coming down with flu. Im shaking and I feel sick. Of course it could be coincidence and I could be starting with a virus! Obviously its unlikely given how recently I have stopped taking the risperidone. Some simple pain killers, a hot relaxing bath, some rubbish t.v. then an early night I think. Its definitely worse when I am tired.

Thanks again for everybody's time in reading and replying, its really appreciated. It's helped me feel a little more together today :)

• Administrator

A lot of people do better by taking fish oil and magnesium -- see

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

The fish oil helps the nervous system to heal and magnesium relaxes muscles.

See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/606-important-topics-about-tests-supplements-herbs-treatments/ and the Symptoms and Self-care forum for other suggestions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks for the links I will have a look at them.

I haven't been on here since my last post as I have been so unwell until today. I couldn't even look at a computer screen for the headaches and dizziness. I think I may have had a virus on top of the withdrawals :(

I'm still getting tremors, sweating, and anxiety early morning, 21 days off risperidone and counting. For the first time I also woke up with a feeling of nervousness and frustration for no reason at all! Iv never had it before except for when I first started on the sertraline but it disappeared after about 2 months. Im hoping that someday soon all this will stop. I have to believe it will do, its the only thing that is helping me cope with these weird feelings and sensations. Unfortunately I'm an impatient person and I want to feel better NOW!

I do feel better psychologically being off the meds than on them...I just need to focus on this on the days I'm struggling with tremors and leg aches etc.

• Administrator

How much risperdone were you taking? Do you have any left?

I was only taking 0.1mg when I stopped! I have a whole 100ml bottle of liquid 1mg/ml. I was cutting it down into by such tiny amounts but still having withdrawal. Saying that today I woke up and I had no anxiety. I did have tremors but they were quite mild in comparison to how they have been over the last few months, in fact I hardly noticed them once I was up and about moving. That's 3 better days out of the 22 since I stopped the risperidone - not perfect but better. Iv been having these anxieties and tremors since I stopped the sertraline last year...I'm sure the sertraline was masking the anxiety effects of the risperidone. I hope today is a good sign. I only had a slight sense of nervousness and frustration as well, no urge to cry either. Hopefully the better days will get more frequent, and then all this will gradually disappear! I'm sticking with it, the alternative is far worse...

Feeling a little bit more positive today :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi mini,

I do understand your wanting to stick it out and it is your choice. I must say from my own experience with Risperidone , that .1mg is still a big drop.

I'm currently at .19 mg of Risperidone liquid and expect to be tapering for at least another year, maybe longer. I've found that at the lower dosage, I'm sensitive to even the tiniest decrease.

It may not be wise to wait this out since you are putting yourself at risk for prolonged withdrawal syndrome. Also, the longer you wait before reinstatement, decreases the chances of the reinstatement working.

Some people do recover more quickly but there is no way to know in advance if you are one of those people.

Wish the best for you!

• Administrator

The only way to find out if a tiny bit of risperdone would help is to take it and see what it does. Maybe 0.1mg?

Hmmm... I can see where you are coming from. I have to weigh up possible side effects versus withdrawal symptoms and which is worse.

Some of the side effects I was getting have got better since I started reducing the dose and stopped it, things like

racing thoughts (now almost stopped),

vivid dreams (used to be nearly every night, but for the past month its only been a few nights),

very disturbed and restless sleep (sleeping more peacefully..my husband reports im not shouting out as much or tossing and turning in bed as much),

ringing ears (now stopped),

feeling very on edge (better now),

constipation on the liquid (sorted!),

increased weight (working hard on this one),

mood swings

feeling often like something bad is going to happen for no reason (not felt it for the last 3 weeks)

irritable (less so now)

also after I stopped breastfeeding I continued to produce small amounts of milk - it only stopped once I got down to about 0.3mg's

Plus the list of stuff already mentioned in the other posts

versus withdrawal symptoms

anxiety in the mornings (had that on the drug anyway but slightly worse some mornings since stopping it)

muscle stiffness (had it on the drug anyway)

muscle pain (improving)

feeling like im moving through water some days (had that on the drug anyway)

tremors (had that on the drug but worse since stopping it)

tingling skin

sweating at night

trouble concentrating , head fog (better today but will have to see if it stays that way)

nervousness

wanting to cry

joint pain (again better today will see what happens tomorrow)

nausea (now completely stopped)

dizziness (now almost stopped)

plus anything else already said that iv forgotten to list

hard choice...

• Administrator

Side effects tend to be dosage-related. A very low dose may not have those side effects.

One of the other posts mentioned prolonged withdrawal syndrome....as some of these symptoms started with the change over from sertraline to mirtazipine and the discontinuation of the sertraline was quite rapid...over just 2 weeks on a regime given to me by my psychiatrist could it be that what I'm suffering is more to do with the sertraline than the discontinuation of the mirtazipine and risperidone??? Just a thought.

If so its been a few months now and I'm at a point where I sort of feel like this is it for the rest of my life. In one way I would rather be feeling what I'm feeling than numb one minute and suicidal the next. I suppose at least I'm alive and happier now :)

• Administrator

Yes, it could be both the adverse reaction to sertraline and withdrawal from it.

If the risperdone was helping these symptoms before, it might help again.

Thanks for that. Now that does make more sense looking back. As already said my psychiatrist thought that it was side effects of risperidone (that suddenly appeared when I started cutting down the sertraline) that was being controlled by the sertraline and when I stopped the sertraline I had nothing to help with the risperidones effects.

In fact it makes more sense that wasn't the case but it was actually sertraline withdrawal which has carried on this whole time.

It looks like I have come off risperidone for side effects that were actually withdrawals from another drug which are still continuing and have been made slightly worse since coming off risperidone. This would explain why these 'side effects' (or withdrawals as they may actually be) have not improved much since stopping risperidone.

I won't be restarting the risperidone for withdrawals from sertraline. Risperidone did have its own set of side effects which I'm better off without. The question is what do I do about this possible sertraline withdrawal which seems to be going on and on?

I suppose if it just a few weeks after stopping it I might consider restarting a smaller dose just to see if eases but its months down the line now and I'm not sure reintroducing a load more side effects (yes I had them too on sertraline) would make me feel any better. I suppose managing it the best I can is the best way now.

Iv had a few months of the same symptoms at the same time every morning since I cut it down. Although, in the last 3 weeks I've had 4 days without any symptoms whatsoever. I hope that this is a good sign :)

Yes, it could be both the adverse reaction to sertraline and withdrawal from it.

If the risperdone was helping these symptoms before, it might help again.

I have had a somewhat similar experience with Zyprexa (antipsychotic) and Wellbutrin (antidepressant). I did not taper off the Zyprexa properly (didn't know). But since the near end of the Zyprexa I have been troubled by the Wellbutrin. I had wanted to wait to taper the Wellbutrin as the whole family was drained by the Zyprexa, but I was getting manic from the Wellbutrin that now had nothing to restrain it. If I take too much I'm manic, and if I take too little I.have symptoms that seem like SSRI withdrawal. And the doses that cause those symptoms change over time. But I am actually OK...this site helps me immensely to "Keep Calm and Carry On". And I wish that for you!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Administrator

mini, that sounds like a very good summation of what might be going on with you.

If the risperdone didn't help the antidepressant withdrawal symptoms, there's no reason to take it.

Yes, though its taken typing it all out on here to realise what's been happening!

I hope these few good days I've had lead to more good days soon. Nobody told me the dangers of stopping these drugs too quickly before I stopped them like I say the sertraline was cut down and stopped as per a regime given to me by my psychiatrist, although I did it even slower than she suggested having been on it over 18 months. The mirtazipine I stopped again quite quickly as per my psychiatrist though I had only been on it 4 months...those withdrawals put me on sick and my parents cared for my children whilst I went through it. What I started suffering from stopping the sertraline is still ongoing. I hope it gets better soon. I am learning to be patient and go with the flow :)

I should have known a few good days in the space of 3 weeks could never be ongoing...I've been hit with the worst night I've had for a while. Awake all night with tremors and sweating, racing thoughts. I knew last night was going to be bad as the night before I had vivid dreams that were quite disturbing..I haven't had one for a while. I must be coming up to 6 months since the sertraline stopped and about 4 months since the mirtazipine stopped.

I had a look at the fish oil link and started taking a very weak fish oil capsule last night...was going to try it for a few days then get a higher strength one. I don't know if last night was a result of taking it or if it was a coincidence. I will continue taking them for a few more days and see what happens. If things settle I will try a higher strength if not I will stop taking them. I noticed a lot of the higher strength ones contain a synthetic form of vitamin E. I have yet to find an affordable option where I can buy higher strength fish oil and a natural vitamin E seperately... I can't afford £25 for just 90 capsules! Hence the weak supermarket version for now.

I feel very fed up today. I keep going for my gorgeous boys...I just wish I could give them more of the real me before medications. If I had known it was going to be like this I would never have started on the damn medications. Nor would I be around any more to suffer indefinitely.

I want to get my energy back and physically do more with the boys, take them out, do activities and things.

They are sat on the floor watching t.v. at the moment, and I am sat here crying...my 2 year old has just come and given me a hug to make me feel 'better'. This is what keeps me going on days like these...I don't often let them see me upset but today I can't help it.

In a lot of ways I feel much better for being off the meds..its just presented different problems. I would rather have the physical suffering than the mental suffering, I think.

• Administrator

Try taking the fish oil in the morning and note your symptom pattern.

Many people do well with magnesium supplements, too, see

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

I will try that...I took it in the morning yesterday and last night my symptoms were much worse. I am wondering if fish oil is known to support the nervous system whether its just a case of my body getting 'used' to it. I wonder is it worth putting up with the increased symptoms for a while to see if they level off after a couple of weeks or so? Whether the benefits of taking it in the long run are worth putting up with increased symptoms.

I take instant release propranolol which is a beta blocker for anxiety...its starting about 4 or 5am and lasting until about 9am EVERY morning whereas before it wasn't starting until 6 or 7am and was much milder. There has been an edge to it the last couple of nights that I haven't felt since initial withdrawal from sertraline then mirtazipine. Although its not quite as bad as that, close though but not quite.

The propranolol takes the edge of it but doesn't really help much more than that at the moment. Its the profuse sweating (I have to get up and dry off with a towel) and tremors as well (the bed shakes when I get them bad lol!).

With the magnesium...if I am getting symptoms more in the early mornings, does it make a difference when in the day I take it? Should I try taking it last thing at night before I go to bed and see if that helps? I don't know if I can take propranolol and magnesium together..they work differently so should be ok, I will find out. In the mean time I will try the magnesium.

I don't really understand the science behind what is happening to me, I just want to try and manage it a bit better.

The worst thing is not being able to sleep...I'm so so tired...I work long hours too and I'm working 12 hour days sometimes 3 or 4 on a run on just 5 hours a night or less...I need at least 7 to function especially with everything that is going on, when I am feeling better I can cope with lack of sleep. Any suggestions for sleep? I'v tried Kalms, it helps somewhat sometimes.

I took zopiclone for a while but the Dr only gave me 7 of the 7.5mg tablets...being a nurse I know this is the full dose and very powerful so I broke them in half so they lasted longer but only took them when I knew I wasn't working the next day so out of 7 nights I was getting a good sleep at least 2 nights, but they are addictive so I haven't been back for any more of them.

Are there any other options or is it best to stick to natural options?

Sorry for all the questions, once I have worked out what I am doing I won't pester so much...

Anyway thanks very much for taking the time to answer my questions, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. It's nice to know I'm not really alone even though I feel it some days. I was really getting to the end of what I can cope with yesterday and today I feel much the same. Hopefully I can get it sorted :)

Last night was awful I got just 2 hours broken sleep and now I'm off to start a 12 hour shift. The anxiety, sweating and tremors were nearly as bad as the initial withdrawals from sertaline and the mirtazipine. I was considering phoning in sick to work it was that bad but I can't because I've had time off sick and they might start reconsidering my position there.

If this is the sertraline/rispiradone/mirtazipine withdrawal ongoing I was thinking retaking a very small dose of either one i'm not sure. The sertaline gave me side effects in the early days when I started on it even on the 50mg so bad I was hospitalised for 3 months...I don't really want to do that again, I will lose my job, my house, everything. Then there is the rispiradone...I could try 0.1mg for a few days and see what happens, if nothing improves I could consider coming off it again, slower this time. The mirtazipine withdrawals were so bad I don't want to go through that again really.

I feel so sick with the tiredness and confused.

Or I could just give it more time with trying to manage the symptoms and hope for the best.

I wish I could have a time machine back to August last year, I would do it so differently.

I am frightened I could be like this for the rest of my life, I'm only 30. I can't cope with that thought when I feel so poorly.

Right off to work...have to make the best of it today :(

• Administrator

Don't take any more fish oil for a while, it doesn't seem to agree with you.

See our topics on sleep in the Symptoms and Self-care forum.

I didn't take fish oil yesterday. Maybe if things settle down I can try it again in a few weeks. I took 2 herbal Nytol and a propranolol 80mg at 21:30 then went to bed about 22:15, I slept 6 hours solid! Very little anxiety this morning, very little tremors. When I don't sleep its worse, or maybe its because its worse that I don't sleep, I'm not sure.

Not holding my breath though I seem to get a few good days followed by very awful days. At least I am getting the odd good days here and there, I wasn't getting even that a couple of weeks ago.

I'm not messing about with meds, I will give it some more time -at least a couple more months, and see.

Thanks for your advice.

As I thought...one good night followed by a bad night and possibly some more bad nights.

I'm getting fed up of this now...every morning nearly I'm disturbed by these feeling and sensations. I want them to go away.

I really am getting to the end of what I can put up with.

I see my psychiatrist on the 25th April I will have to see what she suggests, she will probably suggest restarting everything though and then I will be back to square one.

I feel so down today, I haven't felt 'depressed' since stopping the antiddepressants. In fact generally I have been feeling a lot better since stopping the antidepressants as said in the previous posts. However, the last 24-48 hours or so I have been 'up and down', irritable, frustrated, VERY tearful, twitchy, very argumentative, in fact my husband has hardly spoken to me for the past day or 2. I'm not sure if its the effects of coming of the meds or if I'm just fed up with feeling crap, or if I really am starting to suffer with depression again after all this time (I had it with the birth of my now 5 and half year old).

These meds have ruined my life, my relationship with my husband, and now my 2 year old is having to climb on my knee to give me a hug and a kiss because 'mama cry' as he says and 'mama better hug!' bless him!

I think I need to get a grip, kick myself up the backside, get a shower, get the kids dressed and take a walk out...maybe I will feel a bit better then.

I promised the eldest a trip to Pizza Hut this weekend. I don't think I have the energy though. This is where I feel awful like I'm such a useless mother. Maybe tonight I will sleep well and tomorrow we can go. Fingers crossed.

Hi, Mini. I just joined the site and have been going through a ton of pain with risperidone withdrawal. I'm sorry for what you're going through, I can hear how desperate you feel and I can understand. It's 2:50 a.m. for me, and I have not slept tonight, I didn't want to take an ambien, which only gives me 3 hours of sleep anyway. I'm sorry for your suffering. I wish for it to be better for you and for you to feel some peace very soon.

05/11  Gabapentin 1800mg, nardil 60mg, 05/12  Rapid taper & d/c both
12/12  ER: Risperidone .5 mg 2x day 1 wk/then .5 mg 1x day, 02/13  Risperidone d/c
03/13  ER: Seroquel 150 mg, Celexa 20 mg (d/c after 1 week)
04/13  E&T: 10mg zyprexa, 20mg Celexa, 150mg trazodone, 2mg Clonazepam (Zyprexa and Celexa d/c after 1 week)        
05/13  Rapid taper & d/c Trazadone, clonazepam reduced from 2 mg - .5 mg, Gabapentin 300 mg 3x day
06/13  Clonaz .5 mg - .125 mg

12/13  Clonaz 1/8 mg, gabapentin 240 mg 3x day

03/14  Clonaz 1/8 mg, gabapentin 100 mg 3x day

09/14  Clonaz 1/8 mg, gabapentin   33 mg 3x day   11/14  Clonazepam 1/7 mg

04/15  Clonazepam 1/11 mg

08/15  finished taper

Hi Morphologie,

Thanks for the reply and I think you did the right thing joining the site. There is so much information on here, I wish I had found it before I started coming off my meds I would have done it so differently!

I have given myself a kick up the backside, had a shower, and dressed the kids. I even managed to tidy the kitchen - a big achievement for me today! The boys are now happily watching t.v. whilst I chill for 10 minutes with a cuppa tea.

For me most mornings its a case of mind over matter. When I have to get ready for work I don't have a choice but on my days off its easier to sit back and let things take over like they nearly did today. Unfortunately after 2 12 hour shifts at work the body is tired but the mind is also a little weary and not that easy to engage over these feelings.

I find this site useful...For me its an ongoing summary of what is happening, its helping me keep track of how I'm feeling...the hope is that perhaps as time goes on I will be able to look back at this and see progress over time...and hopefully this will give others encouragement as well.

Its nice to speak to others going through similar problems, although I wish none of us had to. We don't deserve it and in a lot of cases it seems mismanagement is a big factor, this I have learned the hard way for myself.

Keep me posted on how you are doing and good luck with everything :)

Oh I forgot to add that I hope you get some sleep soon. Lack of sleep is awful and always seems to make things feel a lot worse. I take herbal Nytol and Kalms to help relax but it doesn't work for everyone and I only take it when I have 2 or more nights of very little or broken sleep. I don't want my body to get used to relying on things to sleep but thats just me.

I believe sleep is a powerful natural healer and sometimes we could all do with a bit more of it!

I certainly needed quite a bit of it when I was well so its even more important now.

So I hope you sleep soon, and sleep well.

• Administrator

Be careful about loading on the drugs to cure withdrawal syndrome.

Often, we suggest reinstatement of a small dose when someone has withdrawal symptoms, but in your case it's very difficult to determine which drug might compensate for withdrawal and which might make it worse.

Sometimes a very small amount of lamotrigine, up to 5mg, helps. See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/392-one-theory-of-antidepressant-withdrawal-syndrome/

It may take quite a while for you to recover from all the drug adverse effects. In the meantime, you need to take care of yourself to support healing. Please see our Symptoms and Self-care forum.

....If the risperdone didn't help the antidepressant withdrawal symptoms, there's no reason to take it.

Thanks Altostrata for the reminder.

I think that part of this process is me over thinking things in desperation when I feel bad - round and round in circles we go in my head! This seems to be another effect of coming off these meds...the circling thoughts.

Good news..I slept quite well last night, natural sleep, no herbal remedies involved. The anxiety and tremors have stopped a whole hour earlier than usual today with no propranolol to help for a change. Even though I get tremors and some muscle stiffness, I have had no feelings of weights in my legs or feeling like I'm trying to wade through water and so I have been a whole week without having to take the procyclidine...I only take it when I struggle to walk anyway. Got to see the positive where possible :)