SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Supplementing with zinc

Nadia

I came across this when I was researching GABAa receptors.

If you have not already, it is interesting to read the wiki on GABA a receptors. It mentions things that are agonists, antagonists, positive allosteric modulators, and negative allosteric modulators, among other effects.

Benzos are positive allosteric modulators. As are kava, niacin, valerian, and theanine... in other words, those substances can have anxiolytic effects, helping calm anxiety and help with insomnia. There are subtypes of GABAa receptors, so they can have different effects on individuals.

But watch out! Zinc is a negative allosteric modulator. I was taking zinc for possible help with depression, but it turns out taking too much zinc can increase anxiety. This doesn't mean you should not take any, just watch your intake! I was taking 50mg a day!

Effects of Too Much Zinc

Higher levels of zinc do not necessarily reduce anxiety. In fact, too much zinc can have the opposite effect, according to the results of animal research published in the May 11, 2010 edition of "Physiology & Behavior." In this study, rats were given either plain water, zinc in various concentrations or a combination of zinc and copper. Compared to rats given water only, the zinc-only rats showed more anxiety, as measured by their tendency to "freeze" under stress. The zinc-only rats also showed impaired memory on a task requiring them to swim to an underwater platform whose location was rendered invisible by adding powdered milk to the water. In contrast, the rats given both zinc and copper performed as well as the rats given water only. These results do not prove that zinc causes anxiety or memory loss, but they do indicate that a proper balance of zinc and copper is necessary for optimum mental functioning.

If you are considering taking zinc to treat anxiety, it is important to realize that it may not help you if your zinc levels are already within normal range. Zinc, like other minerals, is beneficial in proper amounts but toxic in large doses. Unless you are pregnant or nursing, the recommended daily allowance of zinc is 11 mg. You should never take more than 40 mg per day under any circumstances and should always consult your doctor before taking more than the recommended daily allowance of any nutrient.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/455480-zinc-for-general-anxiety-disorder/#ixzz2974nmGlb

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

maybe you should get your zinc levels tested. Its is an incredibly important mineral for a number of biochemcial reactions. Mine was very low and once I started supplementing in a special compound, I felt real good. Then withdrawal syndrome hit me :(

Various SSRIs/SNRIs 7- 1/2 years

Went Cold Turkey from Celexa 2011, Stayed Off

Psych Drug Free and Loving Life (over 6 years and counting)

How I Stay Well: Diet, exercise, meditation, supplements, etc

• 6 months later...
  • Administrator

Zinc, it seems, can help gut issues.

Gut. 2007 February; 56(2): 168–175.

Published online 2006 June 15. doi: 10.1136/gut.2006.099929

Zinc carnosine, a health food supplement that stabilises small bowel integrity and stimulates gut repair processes

Free full text at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1856764/

Among many other strategies to eliminate heartburn and acid reflux, popular functional medicine doctor Mark Hyman suggests http://drhyman.com/blog/2010/07/17/3-simple-steps-to-eliminate-heartburn-and-acid-reflux/

Try 75 to 150 mg of zinc carnosine twice a day between meals — this has been extensively studied and is used frequently in Japan.

to soothe the gut.

(Again, he points out acid blockers such as Nexium and Prevacid cause more problems than they solve.)

Have you tried zinc for gut issues? Please post your experiences here.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I've taken zinc. Mine is a liquid that has a dropper. I would take 1 dropper full. My zinc level showed up a little low on my hair mineral test. I didn't realize it was good for gut health. I didn't notice any real difference while taking it. But then again, I was only taking half the amount my doc. told me to take.

My hypersensativity issues scared me into going off all supps. I would really like to add mag back in slowly and try zinc again.

I went to the chiropractor yesterday and he used a pain relieving cream on my neck and I swear I was more anxious when I got home......

Started Fluoxetine Jan. 2010

Tried to go off of it in Sept. 2010

Weaned too fast and was back on it by Nov. 2010

Didn't work as good the second time around.

Started to wean again in Nov. 2011 and was off for good by April? 2012

I was taking zinc carnosine. I forget if it benefitted me-- I trialed it with others-- but I need to try it again.

Good reminder.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• 8 months later...

Don't want to make premature conclusions but taking an extra 15mg of Zinc in addition to my multivitamin helps greatly with memory.   One thing I have noticed is if I am about to do something but get sidetracked, I remember what I was going to do which wasn't previously occurring.

I am also taking it due to my upcoming surgery as I understand it is helpful with recovery.  Not forbidden 3 weeks prior to surgery unlike fish oil and herbs. :)

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

zinc is one of major topics in regards mental health and vitamins/minerals and deficiencies. for example Emily Deans has written about it: http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.com/2010/10/zinc-revolution.html

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

Great article Rupunzel.  Had no idea that something I bought as a cold remedy had so many benefits.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Administrator

Zinc is another one of those trace metals that are missing in our modern food.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I've been taking ZMA which is zinc aspartate plus Mg plus b6 the last several days and sleeping much much better. This is marketed as a body building supplement and I got it in the grocery store. I only take a 1/6 dose but goodness I am dreaming and generally enjoying much improved sleep, almost 10hrs on Sat.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

Zinc may be a cortisol-fighter. (Please note this study is from 1990; I haven't been able to find any other studies saying the same thing.) If you wake up early in the morning from a cortisol spike, it might be helpful to take a bit of zinc.

Biol Trace Elem Res. 1990 Jan;24(1):83-9.
Zinc acutely and temporarily inhibits adrenal cortisol secretion in humans. A preliminary report.
Brandão-Neto J1, de Mendonça BB, Shuhama T, Marchini JS, Pimenta WP, Tornero MT.

Abstract at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1702662

Hypo- and hyperzincemia has been reported to cause alterations in the adrenal secretion. To determine the acute effect of zinc on cortisol levels, we studied 27 normal individuals of both sexes aged 20-27 y after a 12-h fast. The tests were initiated at 7:00 AM when an antecubital vein was punctured and a device for infusion was installed and maintained with physiological saline. Zinc was administered orally at 8:00 AM. Subjects were divided into an experimental group of 13 individuals who received doses of 25, 37.5, and 50 mg of zinc and a control group of 14 individual who received 20 mL of physiological saline. Serial blood samples were collected over a period of 240 min after basal samples (-30 and 0 min). We detected an acute inhibitory effect of zinc on cortisol secretion during 240 min of the study period in the experimental group.

Zinc also helps regulate blood lipids:

Nutr Metab (Lond). 2015 Aug 4;12:26. doi: 10.1186/s12986-015-0023-4. eCollection 2015.
Effects of Zinc supplementation on serum lipids: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Ranasinghe P1, Wathurapatha WS1, Ishara MH2, Jayawardana R3, Galappatthy P1, Katulanda P4, Constantine GR4.

Abstract and free full text at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26244049

Zinc is a mineral that plays a vital role in many biological processes and plays an important role in insulin action and carbohydrate metabolism. It may also have a protective role in the prevention of atherogenesis. Numerous studies have evaluated the effects of Zinc supplementation on serum lipids in humans and have demonstrated varying results. We systematically evaluated the literature and performed a meta-analysis on the effects of Zinc supplementation on serum lipids. A five staged comprehensive search of the literature was conducted in the following databases; PubMed, Web of Science and SciVerse Scopus for studies published before 31st December 2014. All controlled clinical trial in humans, that included a Zinc supplement intervention, either alone or in combination with other micronutrients and evaluated effects on serum lipids (total cholesterol [TC], triglycerides [TG], LDL cholesterol [LDL-c] and HDL cholesterol [HDL-c]). A meta-analysis of selected studies was performed using RevMan v5.3. The Jaded scale was used to assess the methodological quality of the trials included in the systematic review. A total of 24 studies were included in Meta analysis, which included a total of 33 Zinc interventions, in a total of 14,515 participants in the Zinc intervention or control group. The duration of Zinc supplementation ranged from 1 month to 7.5 years. The dose of elemental Zinc supplemented ranged from 15-240 mg/day. The pooled mean difference for TC between Zinc supplemented and placebo groups from random effects analysis was -10.92 mg/dl (95 % CI: -15.33, -6.52; p < 0.0001, I(2) = 83 %), while for HDL cholesterol it was 2.12 mg/dl (95 % CI: -0.74, 4.98; p = 0.15, I(2) = 83 %). The pooled mean difference for LDL-c between Zinc supplemented and placebo group from random effect analysis was -6.87 mg/dl (95 % CI: -11.16,-2.58; p < 0.001, I(2) = 31) and for TG it was -10.92 mg/dl (95 % CI: -18.56, - 3.28; p < 0.01, I(2) = 69 %). In conclusion, Zinc supplementation has favourable effects on plasma lipid parameters. Zinc supplementation significantly reduced total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and triglycerides. Therefore it may have the potential to reduce the incidence of atherosclerosis related morbidity and mortality.

WARNING: DO NOT OVERDO ZINC SUPPLEMENTATION.

Zinc needs to be balanced with copper, another important mineral. Make sure you have adequate copper in your diet -- get a blood test for copper AND zinc -- before taking zinc. You may need to add a copper supplement to a zinc supplement. See

From Dr. Andrew Weil http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02869/zinc.html

Copper can be depleted when taking zinc supplements, so consider taking supplemental copper in a zinc-to-copper ratio of 10 to 1.

Zinc | Linus Pauling Institute | Oregon State University

Zinc | University of Maryland Medical Center

More easily absorbed forms of zinc are zinc picolinate, zinc citrate, zinc acetate, zinc glycerate, and zinc monomethionine. If zinc sulfate causes stomach irritation, you can try another form, such as zinc citrate.

Anyone taking Copper ?

Zinc (with copper) is a co-factor in minimizing hypothyroidism:

Thyroid symptoms

Thyroid problems misdiagnosed as psychiatric

Iodine, anyone?

• 1 year later...
  • Mentor

oh geez wish I'd checked here first, I just added zinc  a few days ago as I recall my psychiatrist from years ago saying it would help while taking ADs

I got 50mgs too, which is apparently way too much

I wonder now if it's the reason I've had diarrhea and increased anxiety the past few days

although I've also had some added stress, so hard to say

will def stop the zinc and see if things improve

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

The cluster of symptoms which gets labeled as "pyroluria," and correlates with depression, anxiety, ADHD, bipolar, and other mood dysfunction - is always treated with zinc.

I got diagnosed with "pyroluria," which is probably not a real thing - however, treating it did produce benefits (zinc, B6,  Niacin, EPO).

My orthomolecular doctor checks my zinc levels regularly, my former orthomolecular doctor liked me to be just "above range," while the current one likes the ranges that the labs set out.

I also have a little bottle by "Ethical Nutrients" called Zinc Test.  You drink a teaspoon.  If it tastes good, you are zinc deficient.  If it tastes okay, you might need a little zinc.  If it tastes AWFUL, you have enough zinc.  I have used this to adjust my zinc doses in between blood tests.  It's a guideline, not a carved in stone thing.  Here's an American version:  https://www.radiantlifecatalog.com/product/premier-zinc-assay/superfoods-supplements  as found in this excellent article:  https://blog.radiantlifecatalog.com/bid/59012/Are-you-Zinc-Deficient-A-simple-DIY-test-from-Premier-Research-Labs  

Another important factor with zinc is that it is the opposite of copper (these two should never be taken together!).  In orthomolecular thinking, excess copper is excess emotion, and in Chinese medicine, excess yin.  By taking zinc, you reduce copper - however - if you take too much zinc you can deplete your copper stores.  

Most orthomolecular doctors do not like to add copper when your copper gets too low, but instead, adjust your zinc.  Apparently, it is easier for us to get copper (plant based?) than it is zinc (meat based).  Also, it is dangerous to supplement copper - when I have done so, it has been a tiny fraction of a tablet for just 3 days.  Copper toxicity is not something to be messed with.  It is the position of orthomolecular practitioners that most of our mood disorders are from copper toxicity, which is why they frequently supplement with zinc.

This is yet another reason why "multimineral" complexes are not smart.  They often contain both of these counterbalanced minerals - like pushing the accelerator and the brake at the same time - it confuses the system.  (another of these pairings is magnesium and calcium, which the multivitamins and multimineral formulas frequently combine so that they cancel each other out.)

So - 

1.  Get blood tests before supplementing with zinc, or if you can find a "ZincTest," you can roughly estimate it yourself.

2.  Keep in mind the zinc / copper balance.  Too much of one means that the other is deficient.

3.  Zinc is important to mood, inflammation, immune function, skin  - but like anything, it is about balance.  More does not equal better.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 2 months later...

Is it safe to go by the taste test for zinc and just take that, how much is safe per day?  Or do I need to see a holistic naturopath for this kind of thing?

29y.o.  Started Lexapro, 15mg in 2013 for anxiety and depression.

9/28/15- Started taper, went down to 10mg, then 5mg by 10/31/15. 

1/2016-  anxiety, nausea, fatigue, crying spells, sadness, by January. Reinstated back to 10mg.  Leveled out.   1/1/2018- Began further taper, down to 0mg by 1/31/2018.  Last dose was 2.5mg. Feelings of dizziness during taper recommended by pdoc.  Slowed down taper, but still had symptoms of stomach upset.

2/12/18 - Dealing with symptoms of dizziness, anxiety, sadness, stomach upset.  2/20/18 - Reinstating medication with .6mg.  2/21/18 - Emotionally feeling better.  Dizziness much improved.  2/24/18 - Went to sleep with extreme feeling of chills.  No fever.  Fatigue.  3/19/18 - Increased anxiety.  5/1/18- Began therapy.  Have trouble with anxiety and GI symptoms.  9/22/18 - Decrease to .5mg.  Anxiety, GI, chills.  9/26/18 - back up to .6mg.  10/31/18 - app Curable, feeling distinct change in outlook and anxiety levels decreased.

2/1/19 - not seeing improvement in anxiety.  started 10mg Prozac  2/7/19 - up to 20mg Prozac, experiencing chills, tiredness  2/21/19 - tapering down to 10mg

• 1 month later...

found an article about zinc for depression, very interesting

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3796297/

1/2016-  anxiety, nausea, fatigue, crying spells, sadness, by January. Reinstated back to 10mg.  Leveled out.   1/1/2018- Began further taper, down to 0mg by 1/31/2018.  Last dose was 2.5mg. Feelings of dizziness during taper recommended by pdoc.  Slowed down taper, but still had symptoms of stomach upset.

2/12/18 - Dealing with symptoms of dizziness, anxiety, sadness, stomach upset.  2/20/18 - Reinstating medication with .6mg.  2/21/18 - Emotionally feeling better.  Dizziness much improved.  2/24/18 - Went to sleep with extreme feeling of chills.  No fever.  Fatigue.  3/19/18 - Increased anxiety.  5/1/18- Began therapy.  Have trouble with anxiety and GI symptoms.  9/22/18 - Decrease to .5mg.  Anxiety, GI, chills.  9/26/18 - back up to .6mg.  10/31/18 - app Curable, feeling distinct change in outlook and anxiety levels decreased.

2/1/19 - not seeing improvement in anxiety.  started 10mg Prozac  2/7/19 - up to 20mg Prozac, experiencing chills, tiredness  2/21/19 - tapering down to 10mg

• Mentor

Thanks, @lavendertealatte (god, your handle sounds like it tastes so good). Admittedly, I did not read the article; don't know if I was ever cognitively proficient enough to read medical studies but def not now 🙂 Just wanted to chime in that I try to eat oysters -- either raw or in cans -- every day for the high levels of zinc. I still go through black days/black daze but it does seem to stabilize me when I actually do this. Too skeptical about supplementation right now so am trying to incorporate foods to help. Bananas for potassium, oysters for zinc, and oatmeal/coconut for the CNS. Even if it is a placebo, these foods are not hurting.

• Prozac | late 2004-mid-2005 | CT WD in a couple months, mostly emotional
  • Sertraline 50-100mg | 11/2011-3/2014, 10/2014-3/2017
  • Sertraline fast taper March 2017, 4 weeks, OFF sertraline April 1, 2017
  • Quit alcohol May 20, 2017
  • Lifestyle changes: AA, kundalini yoga

"If you've seen a monster, even if it's horrible, that's evidence of divinity." – Damien Echols

• 3 weeks later...

@FarmGirlWorkspromise you it does taste good :) 

I'm skeptical about supplementation too.. often I go through periods of buying them, I try them for a few days and freak out about whether I'm doing myself harm.. 

• 3 years later...

Anyone take Zinc here? What doses?

Zoloft, November 2019.  I worked up to 50 mg and stayed there until 1 year later. I tapered for 3 months, which should consider to be cold turkey.
Tapering schedule:
Month 1: 37.5 mg

Month 2: 25 mg

Month 3: 12.5 mg

Month 4(Half the month): 6.75 mg
Month 4(Other half): 0 mg December 9, 2020

• 1 month later...

Bump. Anyone tried this in withdrawal? Reactions?

Zoloft, November 2019.  I worked up to 50 mg and stayed there until 1 year later. I tapered for 3 months, which should consider to be cold turkey.
Tapering schedule:

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, curiousnootropics said:

Bump. Anyone tried this in withdrawal? Reactions?

I'm not actively moderating now, but I wanted to let you know that I've been tapering/in withdrawal for several years now and have had no difficulty with zinc, which I've been taking daily for over a year.  I take a 50mg zinc lozenge along with my other supplements in the morning after breakfast.  I don't know if it's available in Sweden but I take the Bronson lozenge, which has a good taste.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

7 minutes ago, Gridley said:

I'm not actively moderating now, but I wanted to let you know that I've been tapering/in withdrawal for several years now and have had no difficulty with zinc, which I've been taking daily for over a year.  I take a 50mg zinc lozenge along with my other supplements in the morning after breakfast.  I don't know if it's available in Sweden but I take the Bronson lozenge, which has a good taste.

Thank you. I will look for that

Tapering schedule:

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy