Emilee Trying to get off of Paxil, thinking about TMS to help..thoughts?

Emilee

Hi everyone,

This seems like a great community and very well informed. Do people ever meet up in person? That would be lovely too.

My story: I was on paxil 20 mg for 3 years, starting in 2009.  About a year ago, I decided to start tapering off of it. I never suffered from depression before, but had chronic pain (headaches, pelvic pain) which led me to go on Paxil in the first place. My mother suffered from strange chronic pain and many other problems about 20 years ago and was put on paxil and feels like it saved her life. She is still on it with no side effects and it hasn't stopped working for her. Thus, I thought it could help me too. While on paxil, I suffered little side effects and felt pretty good, although my emotions were perhaps a little dulled. A few months before I started to taper, however, I began having a weird feeling in my left eye. I couldn't tell if it was moving at the same speed as my right, it was harder to focus, and sometimes felt dry. It was unlike any sensation I had ever experienced and it is quite hard to explain.  For this reason, as well as the feeling that it was now or never, I began the taper. It has been a year of tears. I cry  easily and often, I am hyper-sensitive to stimuli, and  have developed a strange swallowing problem where I swallow air and I feel as if there is an air bubble stuck in my throat. Additionally, when I am really sad or about to cry, I feel a sort of pain in my left arm, particularly strong near my left wrist. Does this seem strange? It makes me think my depression/withdrawal symptoms must be particularly bad in a part of my brain associated with feeling in my left lower arm.

I know it's the anti-depressant that has done this to me, but my doctor is suggesting that I get on Prozac because, "We have to treat depression aggressively, it should not go untreated." I am not sure what I should do. I am currently on 5 mg, and not really able to tolerate anything less.

Note: I am fascinated by TMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation). It seems to be safe, pretty effective, and really help the brain heal. What are your thoughts? It is one of the few things that gives me hope. I have a friend who had terrible depression and he said after receiving treatment, his depression completely lifted. Do you think that it could have the same effect for withdrawal symptoms? I welcome your feedback. 

Xo,

Emily

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, Emilee.  I'm so sorry to hear of all the difficulty you've been having with Paxil, some of those symptoms sound very distressing.  

If the depression is from paxil withdrawal, and it sounds like it is, then I don't think its needs to be "treated aggressively" by prozac, whatever that really means.  Some people do "bridge" with prozac toward the end of their tapers, and some seem to find this helpful.  But then there are many who don't find the addition of prozac or any other drug to be helpful during withdrawal.  Whether you decide to do it or not, I would consider it as a last resort.  If you do decide to take the prozac it make sure that you're using the "bridge" method.  You can read about bridging with prozac here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1463-the-prozac-switch-or-bridging-with-prozac/#entry13616

A little more information about your taper would be really helpful.  How long have you been tapering (a year?) and at what rate?  Right now I would stay at 5 mgs until things begin to settle down and you're able to work out a new plan.  If you plan on sticking around for a bit, consider doing a short drug/taper history and putting in your signature.  You can follow these steps:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Oh, and I don't know anything about TMS but I'm sure someone here does.Welcome, and stay in touch!

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• Administrator

Welcome, Emilee.

It sounds like you're having a rough time coming off Paxil. It might be a good idea to stop tapering, stay at 5mg for a while, and let your nervous system settle down.

You might also want to find another doctor, one who might know more about withdrawal syndrome and "bridging" with Prozac. See http://tinyurl.com/7cp8l8v

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

So, I am not quite a success story yet because I have not gotten off my meds completely, but I am feeling so good I wanted to share. I am at 3.8 mgs, but I feel better than I felt at 10 mgs or even 20! I started TMS therapy about 4 weeks ago and it has made SUCH a difference. I wanted to share this with all of you because I think people commonly don't return to sites like these when they start feeling better and I want to offer some hope and perhaps a solution.

TMS therapy was approved by the FDA in 2008 to treat treatment-resistant depression. TMS stands for Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation. It is a non-invasive method which uses electromagnetic induction to induce weak electric currents in specific areas of the brain which are known to be associated with depression and anxiety. Unlike ECT, it has no side-effects and some studies even suggest that it can improve cognitive functioning and memory after treatment. 

It is covered by insurance, but it can be a big battle. They want you to have been on at least 4 or 5 different anti-depressants first before they will cover it and even then, they still could reject it. I have only been on Paxil and I wasn't willing to mess around with anti-depressants any longer, so I am paying out of pocket and am going to try to get reimbursed afterwards. I will update you on how that goes. But, plenty of people get it covered, so don't let my story deter you.

They had never had someone like me before. I didn't have depression before I went on Paxil, I went on it for chronic pain. Thus, when I began tapering and developed severe depression, I knew it was from Paxil's harmful effect on my brain. So, for me, I was really using TMS therapy to treat post-acute-withdrawal syndrome, not treatment-resistant depression. To give you some background, I tapered extremely slowly for over a year, but by the time I got below 4 mgs, I was a mess. At one point when I was at 2 mgs, I cried all day every day. This went on for weeks. Everything was so sad. I didn't want to do anything, the world was dark and I had obsessive thoughts of suicide. I felt guilty for being sad and felt worthless. I had to go back up to 5 mgs to be able to function, which I have been on since this past December. Ever since I started my treatment, I never think of suicide, I cry probably 10% as often, and I am much more excited about the future. I still have two weeks left and I haven't tapered all the way down, so I will have to keep you updated. 

But, I really think this could be something that helps some of you. At my treatment center, which is in Virginia, they have an 80% success rate and 67% full-remission rate. This means 80% of people have their depressive symptoms improve and 67% of people have their depression lift completely. There are no side effects. It does hurt a bit for the first week or two while your brain adjusts to the electric currents, but it's definitely worth it.

There is a book a woman wrote about her experience which I read a couple weeks ago called 3,000 pulses. I would read it if you are interested. It is a very well-written memoir of her journey from her suicide attempt to the merry-go-round of meds she tried, to finally being cured by TMS. 

I will keep you updated on the taper and whether or not I get reimbursed. 

Sending my love and support.

-Emily

Emily,  Thank you for sharing this.  You are right, people don't necessarily come back and report once they are feeling better, so thanks for doing so..... Best to you and to continued success....

I was on and off SSRIs for approx. 20 years, mostly Zoloft; (with short term use of Depakote and Lamactil),

I was on Adderall 15-30 mg BID from 2008-2012 and Oxycodone 15-30 mg daily 2006-2012

I did a slow taper over one year off Zoloft to being completely medication free since April 14, 2013. 

• Administrator

It sounds like a very gradual taper (4mg to 3.8mg) is working for you. It could be this, rather than the TMS, that is minimizing your withdrawal symptoms.

It's only been a month, please let us know how you do over time.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, this is a new one for me, so I'd like to hear how it unfolds for you over time, if you have time to come back and post.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Interesting. I would like to see how it goes, also. Thanks for letting us know!

My intro link: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4644-whoami-i-hope-to-find-out/?p=57607

I've taken antidepressants since 1997. From 1997-1999~I tried wellbutrin, paxil, prozac, and maybe some others I can't remember. 1999-2009~Effexor XR 150mg. 2009-2010~Cymbalta 30mg. 2010-present~Cymbalta 60mg. (Dates are rough estimates.)

Began micro-taper Jul 13, 2013.

As of May 19, 2014 removing 94 beads from 60mg capsule, approx 31.8mg.

As of August 2014 removing 106 beads from 60mg capsule, approx 28.2mg.

As of July 2015 down to approx. 23mg. (20mg capsule + 10 beads from a 60mg capsule) + .5mg Ativan as needed for anxiety/panic/generally crappy anxious no good feelings.

Also taking:  Omega3; Magnesium; Vitamins D, E, & B12; Calcium; Estrace 2mg.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone checked out the validity of this? My life is ending. I'm losing everything and my family is suffering. I would try this if I thought there was any chance it would help at all. I am scared the benefits do not last without being out back on drugs.

Started on Zoloft in 2002
Switched to Lexapro in 2005
Switched to Prozac in 2008
Off Prozac abruptly in 2010 (a mistake) - crashed
Lexapro end of 2010 - didn't work
Effexor until 2012 - roller coaster from hell
Back to Prozac November 2012 - one last rise and fall
Quit Prozac 01/13

Reinstated Prozac 5mg 05/13
Trial of 7.5 Remeron for one month 06/13, then off

Off Lamictal 06/13

Quit benzos 06/13

Reduced to 4mg Prozac 8/15/13

• Moderator Emeritus

If my memory serves me well ( that would be a first, lol )  I saw a tv documentary about this treatment, or similar.

It was self administered and I remember thinking that it was like DIY Ect! It was reported in a positive way by

those who tried it, they all felt benefits from it. I think I'll search and see if I can find it. 

I hope you are still well Emily, it's always good to see when someone is getting better. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi everyone,

Well, I am now on only 1 mg of Paxil and still, the depression has not returned. It's been about 3 months since my last TMS treatment and I am still very stable emotionally. I am having some health issues still which are bothersome(a lot of stomach problems, dry eyes, etc) but I am not depressed and am better able to deal with these things now. I had these issues before TMS, just FYI.

It should be noted that I did not get reimbursed at all by my insurance company. But, everyone's situation is different. It was certainly worth the money in my case. I don't feel like Paxil ruined my life anymore. I have hope for the future, I don't feel worthless, and I don't feel so sad all the time.

CRmusic, I think you should definitely look into trying this and read the book I recommended. Before I received TMS therapy, I researched it a lot and it was one of the few things that gave me hope.There were so many positive testimonials and it has no side effects, literally. I think tapering slowly is crucial as well, but TMS can help the brain heal a lot faster so that you can start feeling good again.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns about it. 

All my best,

Emily

• Administrator

Emilee, please add to this topic http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3957-tms-transcranial-magnetic-stimulation/

I'm sure many people will want to hear more about TMS.

Thank you Emily.  I've been suffering from intense withdrawal from a number of meds for years and have a complicated history of being put on and pulled off things.  Right now I am incapacitated by anxiety and what amounts to trauma from this situation.  I get anxiety/terror over every thought, anything I have to do, it's intense hyper-alerting and burning throughout my body.  I endure it every day but I go to hysterical crying.  The emotional and physical pain are not letting up.

I tried to reinstate 5mg of Prozac and it didn't help but now I'm stuck on it.  I'm very scared of doctors and treatments, but my family is going down hard and I am losing everything.  I have a number of questions - as my situation is very screwed up.

I have been on and off benzos for years as well as antidepressants for over 12 years.  I finally decided to stop benzos altogether four months ago.  But I am afraid of the seizure risk with TMS.  I know it's low but I have muscle twitching all over my body and don't know if it's safe to do TMS.

I have severe withdrawal as I believe I'm in a 'kindled' state - I'm afraid with TMS that it will boost me up while it's going and then I will go into a withdrawal state again as the effects wear off.  Like your brain re-adapting again to an artificially high level of neurotransmitters and then having them abruptly drop off.  Is this the case or is there actually real healing that takes place?

I'm in such need of hope, I just worry this is no different than a very expensive 2 month course of an antidepressant.

What were your treatments like?  What did they tell you about the safety and longevity of the treatment?  Is it something you'll be going back for over and over?

Quit Prozac 01/13

Off Lamictal 06/13

Quit benzos 06/13

A few more questions - I typically see people being transitioned to an antidepressant after the treatment is over - to help maintain the patient.  I of course wouldn't want to take anything more than the low dose of Prozac I'm already on.  Did they push you to get back on drugs after the treatment?

And did you have anxiety or issues with it before paxil or during withdrawal?  I've always had anxiety and lack of confidence / shyness / lack of sense of self worth.  But I was always functional and now I'm a severe severe case bordering on agoraphobia.  I can't tell if it's antidepressant or benzo withdrawal or both, but it's brutal.  I read they can actually use this 'off label' on the right side of the brain for anxiety.  Did you hear anything about that?

Thanks again.

Quit Prozac 01/13

Off Lamictal 06/13

Quit benzos 06/13

Hi CRmusic,

I’m so sorry to hear about everything that you are going through. It’s so important to have hope and to not give up. I commend you for doing that.

Let me see if I can answer some of your questions.

Firstly, sorry for saying that there are literally no side effects, you are right, seizures are a very rare side effect. Also, some people can get mild headaches from the treatment. But, the headaches are not long-lasting just an immediate result because the treatment can be a pretty uncomfortable at first. What I really meant to write was that it is free of systemic side effects.

I, or course, cannot tell you whether or not you are at risk of a seizure. Just know that it is less than a .1% risk. What I would do is find a doctor or clinic that performs TMS and have a consultation. The place I went for treatment had free consultations. They can assess your situation and see if it is right for you. It doesn’t work for everyone, but it has a higher success rate than anti-depressants without all of the systemic side effects and withdrawal.

Also, you don't need to be afraid of TMS affecting you like anti-depressants do in the way that it could "boost you up" and then put you into withdrawal once you stop. It doesn't work like that. The electro-magnetic waves they use in TMS stimulate the areas of the brain that are underactive in people with depression. Generally, if you start feeling better, then the effects will last. I guess they kind of reawaken neuropathways which can continue working on their own, without the constant stimulation provided by TMS. Some people have to have management treatments, maybe once a year, or maybe after they have a traumatic event happen, etc, but many do not. It's really meant to be a long-lasting, permanent treatment. I don't expect to have to go back for a treatment ever. But, I am so happy to know that it is there, just in case I slip into depression again. 

You are right about stimulating the right side of the brain for anxiety. I actually got this done. I don’t really understand how this works, but they can destimulate the part of the brain associated with anxiety. You can get a treatment done where for the first 30 minutes they will stimulate the area of the brain associated with depression and then the area associated with anxiety. It seemed to help. Although my depression was much worse than my anxiety, so it wasn’t as dramatic an outcome for me as was the change in my mood/crying spells.

They didn’t push me to get on drugs at all. I was very clear that I was trying to get off of Paxil and I even tapered a bit during my treatment. (Although they really prefer you not to do that so they can accurately assess how much the treatment has helped you, without adding a change of dose into the mix.)

I didn’t have depression or anxiety exactly before going on Paxil. I had a lot of tension and chronic pain issues. These physical ailments did cause me a lot of emotional distress, however. But, most people that get TMS done, have depression, some anxiety, before they went on the drugs, which makes sense since this is the reason most people are on these drugs. So, I wasn’t really a normal case in that regard.

Lastly, I just want to mention that the treatments did hurt a lot more than I expected, especially the first couple weeks. It feels like a really bad headache in a specific spot (where the waves are hitting your brain). It would go away as soon as the pulses stopped, but if you are very sensitive, this will probably be a bit scary at first. If you get a consultation, they can talk to you about it. You can take a pain reliever before you go in to help with it. It does get better as the treatment goes on and as you get used to it. 

Good luck and keep me updated.

Best,
Emily

Thanks for the info. I'll need to think about this. I have all the withdrawal symptoms on this site - extreme fear bordering on psychotic episodes, burning through my body, muscle spasms and hyper alerting. The cortisol / autonomic nervous system thing. The hysterical crying and hopelessness. And a trauma and fear of anything medical or psychiatric.

All that being said I want to believe this could help me. I worry because I'm four months off part time benzos after years of part and full time use - in addition to cold turkey withdrawals of Effexor and Prozac. My brain literally feels concussed. And I'm paranoid so worry about seizure threshold. And I worry about being 'kindled' - on and off stuff so much that I'm now severely sensitive and how this will affect me during and after the treatment if it wears off.

Reason I bring all this up is because I don't have the luxury of time. Every day I go to work and barely get by - have to hide extreme fear to the point of paralysis, physical symptoms, and crying. If I lose this job I won't be able to get another one and my children need health care. So if there's anything that could help and not cause further damage I need to consider it.

I may schedule a consult but would have a hard time trusting them unfortunately.

Quit Prozac 01/13

Off Lamictal 06/13

Quit benzos 06/13

You do have more severe symptoms than I did, although I had some of your same symptoms (hyper-sensitivity, hopelessness, hysterical crying). I didn't have the extreme fear or burning, though. Anyways, you have nothing to lose by scheduling a consultation. If you do decide to go forward with this, you do have to commit. The effects generally don't work for at least 4 weeks and you have to go five days a week. It's important that you find a place where you like the psychiatrist and the staff. Mine was really cool and although he wasn't very familiar with post-acute-withdrawal syndrome (obviously most aren't) he was open to it and didn't dismiss me.

I can only speak from my experience and since it seems like you have been dealing with these issues a lot longer than I have and you have had more severe symptoms, I don't want to presume I know what's best for you. But, it is possible it could help you. There are people who have been on meds, on and off, a bunch of different types, who it has helped.

Anyways, I wish you the best. Let me know if you have any further questions.

• 8 months later...

Emilee

Can I ask how you are now?

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

Yes it would be good to know if Emilee is still doing good from the TMS a year ago.  And wonder if cmusic ever tried it?!??!   

Sept-1990 started my first AD Zoloft never got higher dose than 50mg

Dec-1990 Quit Zoloft  =Nov-1995 Back on Zoloft for Post-partum depression/anxiety

early-1998 Quit Prozac to get pregnant   =Feb-1999 Back on Prozac 20mg

10-1999 Prozac 30mg  =12-1999 Prozac 20mg

7-2001 switch to Wellbutrin SR 100mg

8-2001 increase Wellbutrin SR 150mg

10-2001 adding back Prozac 20mg

5-2003 tapered off Prozac  =7-2003 back on Prozac 20mg

8-2003 Add in Imipramine 25mg then to 50mg    (given Xanax for bad panic episodes

9-2003 Imipramine 75 mg then to 100mg

1-2004 switch to Lexapro 10mg

8-2004 Lexapro 20mg, Imipramine 75mg

4-2006 Adding Wellbutrin 150mg then to 200mg

7-2006 switch Lexapro to Celexa

12-2007Celexa 40mg Wellbutirin 150mg

9-2009 switch back to Lexapro 20mg, WellbutrinXL 150mg

2-2010 stop Lexapro start Celexa 40mg

11-2010 switch Celexa to Cymbalta 60mg

3-2011 Cymbalta 60mg switch to Effexor 37.5 to 75mg

10-2012 thru 12-2012 taper Effexor 75mg to 37.5 and off.

5-2013 start generic Prozac 10mg to 20mg, Trazadone 25mg  BEGIN THE TAPER(6-2013 Prozac 20mg to 10mg, Trazadone 25mg. 7-2013 liquid Prozac 7mg, Trazadone 25mg 8-2013 liquid Prozac 8mg, Trazadone 25mg9-2013 liquid Prozac 5mg, Trazadone 25mg10-31-2013 liquid Prozac 3.25mg, Trazadone 25mg=11-11-2013 liquid Prozac 3.0mg, Trazadone 25mg=12-4-2013 liquid Prozac 2.8mg, Trazadone 25mg=12-13-2013 liquid Prozac 2.5mg, Trazadone 25mg=1-5-2014 liquid Prozac 2.0mg, Trazadone 25mg=(CURRENT/06-01-2014 LAST dose liquid Prozac, Trazadone 25mg)((Aug. 13, 2014 reinstate .20mg of liquid Prozac for crippling anxiety, dread (still on same Trazadone...)supplements are probiotic, Vit. D3 and Fish Oil daily)Aug 19th reinstate 6.25mg Zoloft, Sept. 4th 25mg Zoloft.CURRENT(50mg Zoloft, 25mg Trazadone)

My dr. does this...thought I should have it. I think the results can be quite dramatic, but the info I read said it had only shown benefits for a year, which concerned me because of the cost. In a flagrant violation of confidentiality standards, a secretary pointed out to me a man who was "totally shut down, could hardly get in the office" and now just looked moderately depressed to me, either in the midst of or after treatment. And once again, a treatment that does not get to the real cause...no one is symptomatic from not having their head magnetized...but finding the root cause is not always possible. I think it is sort of ECT-Lite.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Administrator

There are many treatments supposed to be effective for "depression" -- a very poorly defined condition.

However, "depression" and withdrawal syndrome are entirely different. Withdrawal syndrome is not in any way the condition described at "depression," although one might feel "depressed" (whatever that is) in withdrawal.

If your nervous system has been dysregulated by withdrawal, it might respond in unpredictable ways to treatments that are supposed to rearrange the nervous system, and some of those ways may be very unpleasant.

Hi everyone,

I am still doing much better after the TMS treatment and do still recommend it. There are a lot of people who only need it once and are fine and others that need management treatments. I got the treatment for withdrawal, not for depression and it helped so much. Feel free to message me  if you have any questions. Or ask them here. Xx

Best,

Emily

So glad this has worked out for you! Thank you so much for coming back to tell your story.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Administrator

Good to hear you're feeling better, emilee.

Please add more detail to the TMS topic http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3957-tms-transcranial-magnetic-stimulation/ such as What did you feel like before TMS? What was the treatment like? How did you feel after? How do you feel now?

This will make the information easier to find.

Also, do you feel you're ready for a success story here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/28-recovery-success-stories/ ?

• 1 year later...

Emilee - Are you still around? My doctor really wants me to give this a try. Do you mind taking a look at my intro post and letting me know if you had any of the same symptoms? Also, I want to hear more about the pain that accompanies the treatment... How bad and for how long? Thanks so much!

Diagnosis: Anxiety, Situational Depression 

March 2016: So debilitated that had to leave my home/job/life to move in with my parents. Hopeless. 

July 2015: Reinstated 2.5mg to 5mg Prozac - Got worse so stopped the reinstated Prozac

Middle of February 2015: Prozac 20mg every other day for one week and discontinued on February 18th or 19th 

Beg of February 2015: Stopped Pristiq, continued on 20mg Prozac for 2 weeks 

End of January 2015: Use Prozac to wean off of Pristiq (Added 20mg of Prozac to the 50mg Pristiq - took both for 1 week)

January 2015: Decide to stop Pristiq due to negative side effects 

Beg of November 2014: Switch from Zoloft to Pristiq 50mg

August 2014: Reinstate Zoloft 100mg

March-June 2014: Weaned off of Zoloft 100mg 

January 2012: Begin Zoloft 100mg (6 month period at the end of 2012 where I discontinued the Zoloft - reinstated for situational depression) 

2008-May 2011: Cymbalta and Topamax for Migraines -- May 2011: Weaned off of Cymbalta and Topamax

• 9 months later...

This is an interesting thread. I have been going through withdrawal / neurotoxicity for almost 4 years now. All of the crazy psychiatric symptoms have left as well as most of the leg jerks but I still have insomnia (though a little better now), tinnitus, visual problems, and shocking-burning-pressure headaches. Basically, my Neurologist has diagnosed me with Neuralgia and Paresthesia caused by Zoloft withdrawal. 

Today, I saw a Neurosurgeon for a different problem that I have which I have also seen in the past that knows about my Zoloft withdrawal and he said that I should try Magnetic Resonance Therapy, or MRT. This Neurosurgeon works at Keck Medicine of USC and is against psychiatric drugs. He said that he has seen a lot of people with similar symptoms. He said I should go to the Brain Treatment Center which is an affiliate of the USC Center for Neurorestoration.

Emilee...How are you doing now.

Reason for SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome

From July to August 2012 I was on 50 mg of Zoloft. The GP took me off of Zoloft without tapering, He said that Zoloft was not addicting and that I would not have any side effects.

Withdrawal Symptoms

Anxiety/Depression like symptoms, nervous, tinnitus, headache, low energy, insomnia, electric shock like sensations in the brain/eyes/body, muscle twitches, crying spells, suicidal and homicidal thoughts.

History of Doctors, Tests and Diagnoses

Two Psychologists, two Neurologists, two Psychiatrists, one Otolaryngologist, two MRI’s, two EEG’s and one MRA later I have been diagnosed with withdrawal effect from Zoloft by my Neurologist and with a Neurotoxic effect of SSRI's from not tapering Zoloft (SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome) by my Psychiatrist.

History of Medications

10 then 20 mg of Celexa for suicidal and homicidal thoughts recommended by my first Psychologist prescribed by my GP in Sept. 2012. Then Jan. 2013 the Celexa was increased by my first Psychiatrist from 20 to 30 then 40 mg. In April 2013 my second Neurologist started to taper the Celexa by 5 mg per month. However, in June my second Psychiatrist stopped the taper of Celexa and wants to hold at 30 mg until I am stable from my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft.

300 mg of Neurontin twice a day prescribed by my first Neurologist in Feb. 2013 for headaches and pain. Both my second Neurologist and Psychiatrist agree that this medication will be tapered lastly.

In April 2013, reinstated 50 mg of Zoloft prescribed by my second Neurologist to try and stabilize my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft. My second Neurologist asks me to seek a new Psychiatrist since my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft are not stable. In June 2013, the second Psychiatrist increased Zoloft to 75 then up to 100 mg to find a dose that will stabilize my withdrawal from Zoloft.

In August 2013, I now have a new MD who is trying to help me with the use of Supplements.

In September 2013, I have now completely tapered off of Neurontin and Zoloft with the help of my Psychiatrist. I have also started tapering Celexa at 2.5 mg per month. I am currently at 25 mg of Celexa.

All postings © copyrighted

• Moderator Emeritus

Emilee has not been on the site since 28 June , 2014.

Lisaslove , you may want to update your Introductions thread.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg