SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Ashwagandha herb for anxiety, stress and toxic overload

BentBuddha

I've just taken two ashwaganhda capsules.

I should be feeling better in about 30-40 mins hopefully.

pregan taper 600mg down to 240mg, daily cuts since xmas

valium, just over 75mg, tapering 0.1 a day, will keep this more udated, cos amounts going down

i have borderline personality, chronic ptsd, and suspected adhd and substance misuse as a symptom, which i am addressing with help of medical staff, drugs agencies & mh sta

Ayurveda is good, right? I can't make out from the information I found in a short search if this is a 'safe' supplement or not or that it really does what it says it does. Some sources advise caution (web md).

I was taken aback when I read this in the footnotes in the wiki entry for 'Ayurveda':

"From time to time, even the most prestigious science journals publish erroneous or fraudulent data, unjustified conclusions, and sometimes balderdash. Balderdash was the right word when The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) published the article, "Maharishi Ayur-Veda: Modern Insights Into Ancient Medicine," in its May 22/29 issue. Discovering that they had been deceived by the article's authors, the editors published a correction in the August 14 issue, which was followed on October 2 by a six-page expose on the people who had hoodwinked them."

I am glad I do not take any supplements at this time.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

I used to take ashwaganda daily...it's one of many supplements that went south on me...it's now agitating and very unpleasant...just FYI

EDITED TO ADD:

Follow up on the above:

On 8/27/2019 at 9:58 PM, GiaK said:

For the record - 10 years out I take ashwagandha in rotation with lots of other herbs  -- it's just another herb that I do take when it's appropriate.

Edited by ChessieCat
added follow up info

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Thanks for the heads up, GiaK. I am really spooked about supplements and the whole marketing of them. I said somewhere before, they are not benign and innocuous (for me, anyway).

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Ayurveda is good, right? I can't make out from the information I found in a short search if this is a 'safe' supplement or not or that it really does what it says it does. Some sources advise caution (web md).I was taken aback when I read this in the footnotes in the wiki entry for 'Ayurveda':

"From time to time, even the most prestigious science journals publish erroneous or fraudulent data, unjustified conclusions, and sometimes balderdash. Balderdash was the right word when The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) published the article, "Maharishi Ayur-Veda: Modern Insights Into Ancient Medicine," in its May 22/29 issue. Discovering that they had been deceived by the article's authors, the editors published a correction in the August 14 issue, which was followed on October 2 by a six-page expose on the people who had hoodwinked them."

CW, The above statement applies to most of what is published ~ or selectively NON-published ~ in *prestigious* journals. They are funded by pharma; the layers of deception, bias and manipulation are deep. There are a few journals that do not accept advertising, but the ones thought to be reputable and prestigious are heavily influenced by drug industry. This selective publication takes place after clinical trial information is buried in various ways, so the info that actually filters through to prescribers is very skewed. Very disturbing, especially to those who worked in healthcare and trusted the *reputable* sources. Sorry for the tangent. There are several threads that address this issue but thought I'd mention.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Yep, my point exactly. My mamma gave me @spirin when I had a fever, not this 'ayurvedic' herb which may or may not be contaminated with heavy metals and cause CNS sedation. My brain hurt when I read the purported study done by the MANUFACTURERS of it. Looked like a study, sounded like a study, had all the proper 'wording', citations, etc., but smelled like fish to me.

But I did not want to rain on anyone's ayurvedic parade.

Ayurveda has been around for thousands of years. It is a person by person specific health treatment. Not a one size fits all like our western medicine approach. It has to do with ppls body compositions and how we're all different. One herb will be healing for one person, but detrimental for another. Deepak Chorpa i believe made it famous but I heard of it before that and even had some consultations. It's more about bringing balance to the body rather than addressing say an SSRI injury. We have modern day illnesses and injuries that I don't believe are suited to Ayurveda. Like I had gut dysbiosis due to being born via c-section so that set off a chain reaction in my body of poor health. Ayurveda wouldn't have been able to diagnose that and treat it as thousands of years ago they didn't have c-sections and the gut bacteria inbalances that creates. Many vegetarian type foods would have made it worse.  Rice, potatoes, wheat etc.

It's not the holy grail of health treatments but I think it does deserve respect that for ppl with general old school health probs, it is effective in bringing back good health. It's treatments are yoga postures, detox, massage, diet and meditations. All specific to individuals.

bb

ayurvedic medicine is a great modality...and these sorts of herbs have all sorts of wonderful applications...I had no intention to imply otherwise when I told my story...

my sensitivities like many of us here are odd and not at all typical of most people who could totally benefit from such medicine...

I would choose ayurvedic over western medicine for  most things.

like with all things they need to be used appropriately and responsibly. 

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• Administrator

LIke everything else, use with care. Try very small amounts first to see how it affects a nervous system that might be sensitized.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 6 months later...

adaptogens can be helpful and were for me early on in the game...I now react to all of them...badly.

If you're going to try it start with a fraction of the amount recommended...especially if you have issues with hypersensitivity. 

• 1 year later...

I've just taken two ashwaganhda capsules.

I should be feeling better in about 30-40 mins hopefully.

I guess Primrose never returned from the Ashwagandha experience :)

• Moderator Emeritus

I got some of this a couple of weeks ago because someone said it really helped with their cortisol mornings, but I've been too scared to try it, haven't even opened the bottle. The name sounds scary to me.

I'm experimenting with L-theanine at the moment, so the ashwaganda will have to wait a while.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 6 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Ayurveda is good, right? I can't make out from the information I found in a short search if this is a 'safe' supplement or not or that it really does what it says it does. Some sources advise caution (web md).

I was taken aback when I read this in the footnotes in the wiki entry for 'Ayurveda':

CW - there was specific fraud committed by the brand of Maharishi Ayur-Veda.  They got publication in JAMA based on fraudulent information, and the "peer review" was by Maharishi doctors (so not independant).  Huge conflicts of interest.  This happens frequently around "guru brands."  

For example, while Deepak Chopra has been an excellent educator on Ayurvedic practice - teaching the 3 doshas, eliminating amma (the coating on your tongue) and diet and seasons for each dosha combination, his products are marginal and also fraudulent.

The meditation practices of both Maharishi and Deepak are also somewhat bogus.

ANY meditation can work for some people some of the time.  But these are expensive processes designed to sell fear, take financial energy from the fearful, and put it in the pockets of the designer of the technique.

Actual ayurvedic practioners will say that Maharishi is "ayurveda light"  There was a fellow - Vasant Ladd? That I used to read to learn more.  That was decades ago now, and while I incorporate some ayurveda into my health regime - it is as ancient and mysterious as Traditional Chinese Medicine - there are some things that - while I know it would be good for me - I just find too difficult to do.

For example, my body type is Kapha-vata.  Water, earth + wind.  I am supposed to eat all astringent foods, I am supposed to arise at 4 am and start my day with 20 minutes of yoga, 20 minutes of meditation, and then some vigorous exercise before breakfast.  That is part of the ayurvedic prescription for me.  It sounds great, and would probably feel good - if I could maintain it for more than a week.

It just feels "cruel," and when you couple it with the abuse I received at the hands of a yogi/guru type - well.  I'm not going there.

Ashwaganda - is great.  I take it, just not all the time.  There are a few adaptogenic herbs - I alternate between them.  I think I prefer the Ashwaganda to the Bacopa (also ayurvedic?) or Rhodioloa (TCM) or Maca (South American).  But I switch between them to save money, and to get a clearer trial of how they are.  I think Ashwaganda is my favorite, followed by Maca, then Bacopa, then Rhodiola (which is a little too activating).

So Ayurveda is not a rort, or quackery - just an ancient healing tradition.   Maharishi "Ayurveda" or Deepak Chopra "Ayurveda" and general "brand names" are often money making prospects - as are the meditation practices which go with them.  Chances are, if it sounds too good to be true, it is.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 1 month later...
  • Mentor

I am experiencing rapid severe and sudden hair loss, at least half of my hair has fallen out

my dr is useless and triggers my PTSD so I googled and came up with the most likely cause being telogen effluvium

in one of the videos about hair loss it mentions taking this stuff Ashwaganda to help with cortisol issues

anyone tried this?

does it work?

I'm getting desperate, my hair loss had slowed down for about a week or so but now it's coming out at lot again

I look horrible and I hate going out, I don't know what to do with this tiny bit of hair I have left, I just put it up on the back of my head but it's really gotten obvious that I have lost a lot of hair

it also gets very greasy about half way thru the day! I was going to try to avoid washing it every day, but I have to wash it daily because it's just a matted greasy mess at the end of the day

I hate this! I am trying to stay calm but it's not easy when you're basically going bald

while WD is probably part of the reason for this, the fact that I had pneumonia and lost 15 lbs very quickly from not being able to eat for several weeks, is probably what brought on this condition

I have had much worse stresses in my life and never lost my hair but i guess the combo of withdrawal and pneumonia/rapid wt loss scared my hair right off my head

help?

Edited by KarenB
merged topics

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Past AD Experiences : (Fluvoxamine 3 years, D/C'd @ age 15).

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it

~Terry Pratchett~

WITHDRAWAL REGIMEN/STORY

Originally for OCD, the luvox took about 6 months to taper off.

Withdrawal supplements; lemon balm, Vitamin B3, black water/fulvic acid, high-protein diet to restore neurotransmitters, aniracetam to counter memory issues, deprenyl for persisting anhedonia.

Regimen still maintained til this day. Lemon balm, generally as capsules, however, as I suffer chronic Insomnia, I often use essential oil or as aromatherapy before bed , in combination with magnesium and lysine on bad nights.

• 5 weeks later...

My psych doc said that stress and anxiety can cause hair loss.

He also said that it will grow back.....like many WD related symptoms, once the body gets back its equilibrium, then this alarming kind of thing will just stop.

I don't know anything about Ashwaganda helping with hair re-growth, but I have also experienced significant hair loss myself, and I didn't have much hair to begin with.

It could be worth seeing a naturopath or nutritionist, who could get you back on track by advising re: how to restore any nutrients lost during your short illness when you couldn't eat much. This may have played a part.

Keep us posted.....

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• 8 months later...

adaptogens can be helpful and were for me early on in the game...I now react to all of them...badly.

If you're going to try it start with a fraction of the amount recommended...especially if you have issues with hypersensitivity.

Hi GiaK, can I ask when you had hypersensitivity to meds, if you took an infection how did you treat it? Thanks

Prozac for 18years with break in 1999 for pregnancy. Started to feel unwell with numerous problems 2015 and think I was in a tolerance to drug. Started to come off May 2016 and by June 2016 wasn't able to tolerate any medications at all. Was on Lansoprazole as and when need from 2001 but haven't had to take and wldnt have been able to take since June 2016

GP gave sertraline 25mg 6/04/17 loss of appetite, gut pain and then following morning whole body shaking and vomiting. Stopped tablet.

• 3 weeks later...

who can recomend for 

ashwagandha for anixty
who try it?

2007-2015- zoloft 100 mg
5-8/2015 taper zoloft 12.5 mg every 2 weeks
3/2016 -11/16 lexapro 20 mg

taper lexapro every month by 30%

11/4/17-lexapro 3.5 mg

who can recomend for 

ashwagandha for anixty

who try it?

Hi Lorin,

I took Ashwagandha for a few weeks near the end of last year. After about 2 weeks of taking it, I began to feel more calm, and my sleep improved a little. However, I developed an allergic reaction to it and had to quit taking it. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Ashwaganda was paradoxical for me--caused anxiety.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

This just in from Consumer Labs - 

They only tested 9 brands of Ashwaganda.  There were a lot of impressive clinical trials with it - including for inflammation, memory, fatigue, etc.

Of the 9 tested brands, only 3 passed.  67% of all brands tested, failed.

The 3 brands which passed (contained what they said they did, and were not adulterated), were:

Solaray

Pure Encapsulations

and a brand from Vitamin Shoppe called "pint"

This is not to say that they tested every brand, just that the sample they picked did not produce good results.  They try to pick the most common brands, but sometimes there is a local difference, too.

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

• 4 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

More news from Consumer Labs:  a study in India showed that 600 mg Ashwaganda daily for 3 months improved thyroid performance in hypothyroidism.  TSH dropped, and T3 and T4 increased with this herbal treatment.

• 1 year later...
On 5/3/2017 at 6:20 AM, JanCarol said:

This just in from Consumer Labs - 

They only tested 9 brands of Ashwaganda.  There were a lot of impressive clinical trials with it - including for inflammation, memory, fatigue, etc.

Of the 9 tested brands, only 3 passed.  67% of all brands tested, failed.

thank you for posting this as I have many, many supplements and Ashwaganda is one of them. I have the True Veda brand but don't find anything when I search on it at consumer labs...? 

I know I need to stop taking new and more pills and just cut back to a couple and only add stuff one at a time as the good people here suggest. but I can't help feeling "I paid for this, it's a waste not to take it" 🙄

Currently taking Ramapril (blood pressure) 5 mg twice a day

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

Famotidine   once a day (and I still needs tums sometimes)

magnesium 200 mg at night

as of yesterday 2 fish oil capsules "EPA-DHA 1000"

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years. 

• 6 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

@JackieDecides  If you can't find your brand on Consumer Labs, and you are concerned about potency, then choose one of the brands which are on the list.

Consumer Labs has revised their Ashwaganda report.  They said that 3 cases in Iceland with NOW brand Ashwaganda (the one I use) have resulted in liver injury and elevated enzymes.  2 cases in the USA, one with NOW, one with Nature's Plus.

It is now not recommended for people with liver disease.  I'll be tapering off it, not because I have liver disease specifically, but that I have fatty liver, and was on enough drugs that my liver is probably not happy with me.  Many of us are probably in this boat, as a lot of the drugs are metabolised in the liver.

It is also not recommended for people with kidney disease, so I'm definitely coming off it, since my kidneys have not been the same since lithium.

Consumer Labs emphasises that these cases are rare, but they err on the side of caution.

In general, the fewer supplements you can take, the better.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 7/31/2013 at 9:19 PM, GiaK said:

I used to take ashwaganda daily...it's one of many supplements that went south on me...it's now agitating and very unpleasant...just FYI

Follow up on the above:

On 8/27/2019 at 9:58 PM, GiaK said:

For the record - 10 years out I take ashwagandha in rotation with lots of other herbs  -- it's just another herb that I do take when it's appropriate.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 1 year later...

For anyone who's looking into ashwagandha, I have been taking about 1g (585mg x 2) daily for about 3 weeks now, and it has definitely helped me with sleep and reducing morning anxiety, and I am not sure if it has helped with my temperature sensitivity, but I definitely am less sensitive since I started taking it, so it may be regulating the HPA axis. 

I am also taking two other ayurvedic herbs - guduchi (2xdaily) and Indukantham (2x2 daily) for immunity and they have helped with my allergy-like symptoms (burning eyes, hot/full ears, heat in the neck etc.) and food intolerances respectively.  

Chronic IBS since 1990

Former smoker (1992- Jun 2017)

Prescribed mirtazapine for sleep in Aug 2017 after IBS flare-up following Nicotine cessation.

Mirtazapine 7.5mg 8/17 to 5/18

Mirtazapine 3.75mg 5/18 to 1/19

Off Mirtazapine since 2/19.

Vit B, Vit D+K2 and Magnesium Glycinate as needed.

On Ayurvedic herbs for GI issues - Guduchi since Jul 2020, Indukantham since Oct 2020

On Ashwagandha 1g since Nov 2020

• Moderator Emeritus
4 minutes ago, tsranga said:

I am also taking two other ayurvedic herbs - guduchi (2xdaily) and Indukantham (2x2 daily)

Did you start these and the ashwagandha at the same time?  If you did, then you won't know what is helping.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

2 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Did you start these and the ashwagandha at the same time?  If you did, then you won't know what is helping.

Nope. I have been taking guduchi since June, Indukantham from August, and Ashawangandha from November.. 

Chronic IBS since 1990

Former smoker (1992- Jun 2017)

Prescribed mirtazapine for sleep in Aug 2017 after IBS flare-up following Nicotine cessation.

Mirtazapine 7.5mg 8/17 to 5/18

Mirtazapine 3.75mg 5/18 to 1/19

Off Mirtazapine since 2/19.

Vit B, Vit D+K2 and Magnesium Glycinate as needed.

On Ayurvedic herbs for GI issues - Guduchi since Jul 2020, Indukantham since Oct 2020

On Ashwagandha 1g since Nov 2020

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you, @tsrangaAnd best wishes as we try to find some sleep--

Arbor

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

• 6 months later...

Does anyone knows or have used it while tapering sertraline or any other SSRI? I got some from 'Jarrow's brain I bought in a previous moment of despair. But then I heard some horror stories on reddit regarding persistent anhedonia and idk what to think about.

Prozac: 2018/05 - 20mg, 2018/07 - 40mg

Zoloft: 2018/08 - 50mg, 2018/12 - 100mg, 2020/11 - 150mg, 2021/03/16 - 125mg

Xanax/Valium: Aug/18 - 0.5mg, Sep18 - 1.5mg (2.5mg in extreme cases), Oct/18- 1.25mg, Nov/18 - 1mg,Dec/18 - 0.75mg, Xanax + 5mg Valium, Apr/19 - .5mg X + 5mg V, Jul/19 - .25mg X + 5mg V, Dec/19 - .25mg X + 2.5mg V, Jan/20 - .125mg X + 2.5mgV, Apr/20 - 2.5mg V, May/20 - 1.25mg V, May/20 (end of the month) - 1.0mg V, Jun/20 - 0.75mg V, 03/08/2020 - 0.70, 24/08/2020 - 0.60, 22/09/2020 - 0.50, 06/10/2020 - 0.40, 03/11/2020 - 0.30

30/11/2020 - 1.25mg of V (Updose due to being unable to work)

Feb/21 - 2.5mg of V

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, fullofdetermination said:

Does anyone knows or have used it while tapering sertraline or any other SSRI?

I tried Ashwaganda while tapering Lexapro and it had a paradoxical effect (it made me more anxious instead of calming me).  If you do try it, start with a low dose (lower than recommended) and see how it affects you.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

1 minute ago, Gridley said:

I tried Ashwaganda while tapering Lexapro and it had a paradoxical effect (it made me more anxious instead of calming me).  If you do try it, start with a low dose (lower than recommended) and see how it affects you.

For how long did you try?

I got pills of 300mg of the KSM-66 kind (from the Jarrow brand). Is that too much?

Prozac: 2018/05 - 20mg, 2018/07 - 40mg

Zoloft: 2018/08 - 50mg, 2018/12 - 100mg, 2020/11 - 150mg, 2021/03/16 - 125mg

Xanax/Valium: Aug/18 - 0.5mg, Sep18 - 1.5mg (2.5mg in extreme cases), Oct/18- 1.25mg, Nov/18 - 1mg,Dec/18 - 0.75mg, Xanax + 5mg Valium, Apr/19 - .5mg X + 5mg V, Jul/19 - .25mg X + 5mg V, Dec/19 - .25mg X + 2.5mg V, Jan/20 - .125mg X + 2.5mgV, Apr/20 - 2.5mg V, May/20 - 1.25mg V, May/20 (end of the month) - 1.0mg V, Jun/20 - 0.75mg V, 03/08/2020 - 0.70, 24/08/2020 - 0.60, 22/09/2020 - 0.50, 06/10/2020 - 0.40, 03/11/2020 - 0.30

30/11/2020 - 1.25mg of V (Updose due to being unable to work)

Feb/21 - 2.5mg of V

• Moderator Emeritus
15 minutes ago, fullofdetermination said:

For how long did you try?

Not long, just a few days.  One I noticed it was having a bad effect, I stopped.

15 minutes ago, fullofdetermination said:

I got pills of 300mg of the KSM-66 kind (from the Jarrow brand). Is that too much?

It's not a high dose if you're "undrugged" (not in withdrawal).  I don't know what form your supplement comes in (tablet or capsule) but, if possible, you could try taking half a dose to start (150mg).

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

• 1 month later...

It caused me ssri withdrawal symptoms(anhedonia, sleep problems)before taking ssri. 

Its not good for people suffering ssri withdrawal since it can worsen withdrawal cause it desensetizes 5ht1 receptors which may play a role in causing those withdrawal symptoms in the first place. 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/224898078_Alterations_in_the_sensitivity_of_5th_receptor_subtypes_following_chronic_asvagandha_treatment_in_rats

Ssri also cause 5ht1 receptors to get knocked down https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/scicurious-brain/knocking-5-ht1a-down-to-bring-mood-up/

It may help at first but if they are knocked down too far all kinds of trouble start appearing. People eith several wd keep knocking them further getting worse and worse symptoms 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy