SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Hello, CharlieBrown Script Free!

CharlieBrown

• Mentor

Hello, I just found this website looking for continued information on Anhedonia after taking prescription drugs.

It started in 2009 and I was 16. I was anxious and full of hormones. My parents took me to a psychiatrist and I was prescribed 10mg Fluoxetine for the anxiety, I took it for one month and when it started taking effect I basically became emotionless. I can remember going to live music and feeling no excitement no enjoyment from the situation.

I then was tapered to Venlafaxine and that was gradually raised to 150mg daily. I took Venlafaxine for 4 months. I experienced fewer cognitive side effects from Venlafaxine but it did not reduce my anxiety, and at this point I dropped out of school and became a shut in.

The Dr. suggested trying a different SSRI, "Trial and error" he said. As I was tapered to Sertraline I was given 0.5mg of Clonazepam for 4 weeks. The Sertraline was raised to 100mg. I took sertraline for 4 months and it had a simmilar effect to Venlafaxine. Mostly dulling my moods but not reducing anxiety whatsoever.

I experienced freqent panic attacks and general Agoraphobia. During one of the panic attacks I was brought to the hospital where I was given enough Lorazepam for 1 week.

Then The Dr. decided to add Risperidone to my prescription. Starting at 0.25mg for 3 days, then 0.5mg for one week, raised to 1.0mg for one week. After a check-up I told the Dr. I was feeling nothing and I beleive he may have misinterpreted that as "no effects" but when I said it I meant that I felt no emotions. My dose was raised to 1.5mg daily.

After 3 days of 1.5mg I began experiencing Akathisia with no relief of anxiety. With no options in perceived sight I took all of the remaining Risperidone. Approx forty 0.5mg pills. My Parents caught me and called 911.

At the hospital I was given charcoal and passed out, waking hours later. After being discharged I continued to take Sertraline as prescribed for 2 months.

With no reduction in my anxiety and my emotions being basically non existant I decided to "take the good with the bad" and feel some kind of emotion. Over the next month and a half I slowly weaned myself off Sertraline. Popping open the capsule and throwing away 3-5 tiny XR beads a day. I could have gone to the Dr. for the proper size pills but I didn't trust the doctor and wanted to do it by myself.

With years of perspective behind me I have come to realize that I am still experiencing side effects from taking these drugs. Mostly regarding pleasure and my emotional ranges.

It makes me uneasy to think about expressing my own sexual ideals but I'm sure someone else is in my shoes. So basically I have healthy libido, I can get physically stimulated and I feel the muscle contractions of orgasm but feel almost no pleasure. Trying to explain this to my family has been difficult, I compare it to a plate of food. I feel more pleasure eating food than having an orgasm. And I'm totally bummed out!

On the emotional side I do not expereince the depth of sadness I had before drugs. Nor do I expereince the joy I remember either. I do have what I consider a healthier mood range though. Perhaps that's due to my appreciation of anything other than the hollow emptiness I felt on drugs.

It's been years since I've taken prescription drugs or seen a psycologist and I do consider myself to be quite stable and confident. I attribute my recovery from cripping anxiety to growing up and having

fewer horomonal changes happening in my body. Aswell as neural changes in the receptors of my brain due to becoming more physically fit, Breathing exercises, and using drugs prescription and otherwise.

I hope to add to the community and perhaps get advice on methods of reducing Anhedonia.

Edited by mammaP
Edited to add name to title

I Am Not A Medical Professional! 👨‍⚕️

Prescribed Various SSRI's/SNRI, Benzos and One Anti-Psychotic at 16, in 2009.

Fluoxetine 10mg - 1 Month. Switch to Venlafaxine 75-150mg for 3-5 months. Switch to Sertraline 50-100mg for 6-9 months. Risperidone added. (Suicide attempt, Akathisia) Cold turkey. Eventual taper of Sertraline.

Clonazepam 0.5mg 1X daily for 1 month, as I switched from Venlafaxine to Sertraline. About 3 months of Sertraline with no improvement, Risperidone was added @ 0.25mg-0.5mg for one week. Then raised to 0.75 and 1mg after another week. With 100mg Sertraline daily. Then raised to 1.5Mg after a check-up.

Sudden stop of Risperidone. After suicide attempt.

A self-taper, because I didn't trust doctors. Removing Sertraline XR beads from 100mg capsules, over 5-9 months. Which I would consider too hasty, in retrospect. I am recovered from all medication side effects!

My success story: 

I have taken many prescriptions/drugs, with/without a script. Most any prescription/illicit/grey market drug type. Searching for relief from/as, anxiety/Sleep-aids. All drugs are long ago. By God's will, I will stop smoking.

He's saved me more than once.

• Mentor

After Re-reading my post I realized, that I may have not made it clear that after taking all my remaining risperidone.

I came off it without tapering. I don't remember what kind of widthdrawls I felt due to mental upheaval and basically a blank in my memory.

Fluoxetine 10mg - 1 Month. Switch to Venlafaxine 75-150mg for 3-5 months. Switch to Sertraline 50-100mg for 6-9 months. Risperidone added. (Suicide attempt, Akathisia) Cold turkey. Eventual taper of Sertraline.

Clonazepam 0.5mg 1X daily for 1 month, as I switched from Venlafaxine to Sertraline. About 3 months of Sertraline with no improvement, Risperidone was added @ 0.25mg-0.5mg for one week. Then raised to 0.75 and 1mg after another week. With 100mg Sertraline daily. Then raised to 1.5Mg after a check-up.

A self-taper, because I didn't trust doctors. Removing Sertraline XR beads from 100mg capsules, over 5-9 months. Which I would consider too hasty, in retrospect. I am recovered from all medication side effects!

My success story: 

I have taken many prescriptions/drugs, with/without a script. Most any prescription/illicit/grey market drug type. Searching for relief from/as, anxiety/Sleep-aids. All drugs are long ago. By God's will, I will stop smoking.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Charlie, Well done for making the effort to  taper responsibly, most doctors recommend a taper that is far too fast. It always saddens me to see people posting who were put on psychiatric drugs so young while the brain is still developing.  How long 

were you tapering for? It is great that you have looked after yourself, withdrawal is a nightmare but you've withdrawn from several drugs and are here to share your experience, that's brilliant!  There is an excellent thread on anhedonia here

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2873-anhedonia-apathy-demotivation/  I remember when I stated to feel again after years of anhedonia, I cried because I was crying, and cried a LOT of happy tears just because I could feel again.  :)

Welcome to SA, the best place on the net  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Mentor

Thanks for the welcome! It blows my mind that many of these drugs are now or soon to be accepted in pediatrics.

In response to the question on tapering. Coming off each medication was quite smooth for me suprisingly.

It's only years later as I've gained more life experience I knowticed my emotional detachment and lack of pleasure other people seem to have.

Fluoxetine was a liquid soloution over a few weeks, I was just relived to feel some kind of emotion after that.

I've heard that Venlafaxine is tough due to its short half life. But the Dr. I had was very weary of Venlafaxine and stressed that it had to be a slow process. That one took almost 2 months.

In regards to Sertraline, It took about a month and a half to come off it by myself. I was so afraid of the widthdrawl symptoms I read about, mostly brain-zaps so I made sure to count the XR beads I removed. Each day removing just a few more than the previous day. They we're 100mg capsules so there was quite a few beads to go through.

It's very encouraging to hear success stories and recieve support from someone who has felt simmilar things. To express what ive felt/haven't felt for years now. I hope I can help others find relief.

In my home life I have no one to give me advice. Just a brother who says " I don't know what to say" and Parents advocating their own prescription drug use.

Thanks again for the link aswell I will give it a good read over.

My success story: 

• Administrator

Welcome, CharlieBrown.

I have no doubt you will be a great asset to our community.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...
  • Mentor

It's been a month or so since I've been online and I feel better than ever!

Being more aware of body and thoughts in the present moment, has been a key element.

But also distancing myself from the idea that I have a disorder.

And of course fruit & vegetables with every meal, considerably less grain in conjunction with, 1 hour of vigorous exercise split into 2-3 parts daily.

Still a few issues I relate to previous drug use, but I'm certain that years from now I will be a completely changed person!

My success story: 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for checking in Charlie, glad you are doing so well and hope it continues for you. 

You are spot on, you will be a changed person  :D

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Charlie, please consider adding to our success stories when you feel you've completely recovered. So many people will want to hear of post-SSRI anhedonia resolving -- you'll give hope to them.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Enjoyed reading how you got off meds.  That you did it with relative ease.  Live your life and the anhedonia will resolve itself.  You seem to be doing that. 

I do better with less grains in my diet.  Vegetables are better for me.  I need protein.  Sugar is my big problem. Exercise is wonderful too.....sounds like you are really taking care of yourself.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Glad to hear this Charlie, keep at it and yes, you give us all hope

SC

May 2001 - age 24 given 20 mg seroxat. Tried to reduce myself after a year. Told by GP to take on alternate days and I would be fine. FAIL. Assumed 'wrong time' due to university stress and that my 'depression' must be worse than I thought.

Increased dose to 30 mg December 2002. Tried the same technique as before to reduce- made it down to a quarter tablet but couldn't stand symptoms, had a sneaking suspicion that it was due to tablets but never considered dependency - 'depression is a diseased brain after all' (is what I was told)

Continued until October 2010 - tried to CT and managed to last five months - assumed the depression was really bad but had no understanding of the reason for awful anxiety. Ran back to GP started Prozac- went crazy thought I was going to die. Stopped Prozac after two weeks.

April 2010 Started sertraline. Stablished but felt numbed.

September 2010 Asked for seroxat again. Upped my dose to 30 after three weeks. Felt hyper, caffeinated, but functional. Glad to be over what I thought was 'depression'..

Realised it is the meds, want to be free at last - July 2012 started 10% taper from original dose and took supplements. Took suppliments sporadically and despite the temptation the taper, wanted it 'over with'. Taper took exactly six months and 10 days.

Reductions were as follows:
First 2 weeks- 27 mg
Next 2- 24mg
Next 2- 21 mg
Next 2- 18mg
Next 2 15 mg
Next 2 12 mg (held for four weeks due to house move from London back to Ireland)
Next 2 weeks- 9 mg
Next 2 weeks- 6 mg
Next 2- weeks 3 mg
Next 2 weeks 1.5 mg (held for 5 weeks as scared)
10th February 2013 Jumped to zero

Within 3 weeks sadness, led to anxiety.  Restarted suppliments - helped a bit.  Stressful move to London. A lot of fatigue and DEEP emotions. Crying LOTS. Took suppliments on and off, moved back to Ireland after being back in London for only eight weeks as felt too sad and unsettled. 

No suppliments when moved back.  Unhappy at being back, scared I wouldn't ever find happiness - deep deep sadness, anger, STUPIDLY went back to doctor and decided I must just be a 'depressive'.  Given Citalopram/Celexa 20mg.

Took it for seven days, changed my mind, decided to be 'strong' and put it behind me. (No particularly adverse effects that I recall, save for day 5 having inner vibrations in arms and legs) Still had pack of tablets however and every time emotions got hard felt I had to 'go back onto tablets'.  I did this from July until November. (On them off them on them off them) ........

Started to get body vibrations and told myself it was 'anxiety' and I was 'giving myself panic attacks.  I continued to cry as I 'started' the tablets again and again - not wanting to go back there but not sure what else to do. 

More vibrations - but didn't make the connection that I had a compromised CNS -  thought it was anxiety....chest started to pound in Sept, vibrations continued...lost weight, became anxious, sleep was awful and I tried a variety of remedies to replace the tablets and calm my anxiety and lift my mood.  I think they made things worse.

(These included, St.Johns Wort, Rescue Remedy, Homeopathic treatments, Chinese herbs, Passiflora, and suppliments from the online company who state they are experts in assisting people get off meds)

Also did the following:

Talking therapy

Human Givens Therapy

Homeopathy

Narcotics Anonymous

October 23rd took Citalopram (20mg) for 12 days - no relief

November 6th Started Seroxat 10 mg (to be safe) stupidly upped to 20 the next day.

Stayed on 20 for 18 days, no relief, stopped for two days suddenly, relief came - short lived, vibrations and torture came after 72 hours.  Suicidal for days.  Upped to 30 thinking it would improved.  Even more suicidal.  Dropped to 20 again (December 9th) not suicidal, but not better. Started liquid 28th December reduced to 18 mg in effort to reduce and stabilise.  Don't know where to go from here.  Living with parents who are supportive beyond words.

Sweetcreature

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mentor

"... Live your life and the anhedonia will resolve itself..."

That really struck a note with me. I can't agree more!

I know what I want and need to do in life, but sometimes just put obstacles in my own way.

The way I see it now, the obstacles I put there make me stronger when I overcome myself and the needless irrational worries laid around by my ego.

Thank you for all the well wishes!

I will continue to jump online, learn, talk of my own growth, give my 5 cents and hopefully inspire some other people.

My success story: 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for checking in Charlie, it's always good to see someone who is doing well, it gives hope to us all  :)

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi CharlieBrown,

Thank you for coming back with an update.  Your story is inspiring, you went through a rough time with multiple medications over a period of years and have managed to come off them all.  In spite of having no support or help and it being very difficult, you believed in yourself and are now on the way to making a full recovery.

I'm still struggling with a lot of symptoms, anhedonia being one of them, knowing that you have experienced some of the same things for a similar length of time and recovered, makes me think its possible I will too.

I know that hearing about this gives hope to a lot of people.  When withdrawal symptoms go on for month after month, not seeming to improve, its very easy to lose hope and start to think that this is the way we are going to feel for the rest of our life.

But when someone has experienced this long term process of slow recovery, and does actually improve and recover and can talk about it, holding themselves up as evidence, its very valuable on a site like this.  So often, people come here, find some help, get on track with what they need to do, stay for a little while, start to improve and then disappear, because they are getting on with their lives.  Which is good, its the main reason this site is here, to help people safely get off these drugs and get on with their lives in a more healthy way.

I will continue to jump online, learn, talk of my own growth, give my 5 cents and hopefully inspire some other people.

But if you feel you would like to do what you said above, that would be very much appreciated.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mentor

It makes me feel good, knowing I can help others by sharing my experiences!

Spending years in mental limbo, feeling dull, worthless, and without a future. Thinking I was trapped by circumstance and permanently sick in the head. 

Without realising I was continuously adapting and changing.

The biggest improvement came when I stopped calling myself sick. And started thinking that people are whatever we make them.

Yes, we are partially products of our enviroment, but also knowing things change into what you imagine them to be.

Changing my point of view has been revolutionary. These days I look for reasons to enjoy myself. Being thankful for the small things I have.

But also the background of everything. The background being life and experience itself.

Yeah, there are negative aspects to everyday. I have interpersonal worries and bodily tensions because of the worry. But the perceived negative makes the positives I look for and find so much more meaningful.

It has taken years, and a few traumatic, edge of life experiences to grow to this point. Blessings in disguise. Helping me remember that every thought, every breath, every moment is precious.

Because it's all we really have. Regardless of how it feels at the time. Of course I forget sometimes. But that makes remembering better when I do.

Soon I will write my own success story and add it to the others.

The very best wishes to who ever is reading this. Thank you for being!

My success story: 

• Administrator

• 1 month later...
  • Mentor

It's been another month and I can say thinking back, that I am in much better health than in November. Overall I've been more content and less anxious.

I can't praise the virtues of eating right and exercising enough! It's like when my body is healthy, I notice when my mind is unhealthy with ease.

Being fit makes it easier for me to be in the moment, and look for what I want to experience and appreciate.

It's easy to be content when I pat myself on the back for the little things. Just taking pride in my appearance, doing laundry, washing dishes, walking the dog, going to work.

I am quite content, but I sometimes feel like I'm still missing some kind of real passion, ecstatic joy. Like I missed the punchline of a joke. As if I'm just pretending to enjoy myself, for the benefit of others around me.

My moods are more balanced and positive. I don't really get down much, sometimes I feel on top of the world.

But in the background im concerned about certian areas of the PSSD I've been experiencing, that haven't improved as I think back over the past few years.

Maybe the change has been so slow I am having trouble noticing. It was years before my libido came back, Maybe I can grow to find pleasure. Or maybe I'm trying too hard to reach impossible expectations.

I don't want to let it get me down though. I've got a lot going for me. My physical health is top notch, I'm employed, I have a loving family.

When I remember all my worries start from some kind of desire. It's easier to stop wanting more and look for what I already have.

Still not ready for that success story, things always change though.

My success story: 

• Administrator

Be patient, CharlieBrown. Continued slow improvement is a good sign!

• 3 months later...
  • Mentor

It's June already! Not much change reciently in the side effects I still experience from medications I stopped years ago.

But there has definitely been a noticable improvement in my mood range and libido when I look over the years.

I haven't given up, but I have let go of many expectations.

And this forum is a nice reminder in the back of my mind of where i've been and where I am now.

My success story: 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for checking in CharlieBrown, I'm glad that you can see an improvement in your 

mood and libido.  Sometimes it is hard to see that things have improved until we take a

trip down memory lane and see how things were before.  :)

2002  effexor. 

• Administrator

Good to hear. I look forward to your success story!

• 4 months later...

How are you doing CharlieBrown? I am also suffering from anhedonia even though I have stopped anti psychotics 2 months ago.

Started on Zyprexa 15mg in January 2014
Switched to Invega in March 2014
Back to Zyprexa 5mg in June 2014
Quit anti psychotics cold turkey on September 1st 2014 after severe anhedonia and brain fog.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Mentor

Wow! A whole year has passed. I've been so busy with other success's/problems in my life, this website, and the reasons why I started posting have faded into the background.

It's true that life goes on. There is still a feeling that I'm dry, and missing out on certian feelings. But I can say that I find more pleasure and pain in everything. I have had more ups and downs. But not too deep down.

The desire for sexual relations hasn't changed much, but that may have to do with my upbringing. Sexual proformance has definitely improved! I can hardly believe it. Not the pleasure I wish for but change is something.

Checking in and saying I've gotten better and better physically and mentally regarding past medication use. I know we all can with time. Slow down, No rush. I've been waiting years for this kind of feeling!

Thank you everyone here for listening and your continued support. I'll be back again, with a success story!!!

My success story: 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for the update Charlie, I am so happy for you and am sure that things will keep on getting

better and better. Can't wait for your success story.  :)

2002  effexor. 

So happy to read this post. Pleased for your success and beautiful reminders in there :)

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Glad to hear about your achievements Charlie!

Hope that you continue success in life and be able to enjoy those moments :)

Started on Zyprexa 15mg in January 2014
Switched to Invega in March 2014
Back to Zyprexa 5mg in June 2014
Quit anti psychotics cold turkey on September 1st 2014 after severe anhedonia and brain fog.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

Very happy to hear you're doing better. I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol

to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

• 6 months later...
  • Administrator

Please join me in congratulating CharlieBrown in his Success Story here CharlieBrown's Long Road To Success!

As is our tradition, I'm closing this topic now as CharlieBrown goes on to a new chapter.