Wisernow Lexapro withdrawal treated with Paxil

Wisernow

Hello, This is my first post.   I was on lexapro for 5 yrs and didn't know about withdrawal other than flu like symptoms and head zaps.   I decided to drop from 10mgs to 5 mgs and managed the reduction dose ok but within a few weeks was hit with bad anxiety and depression.   Originally  I went on lexapro  to get over PTSD.       I went back up to 10 mgs lexapro but had no response.   I tried 15 mgs but found the side effects difficult (I should have persisted of course).    Instead I changed to Paxil and the side effects have been much much worse.    It's been 3 1/2 weeks since starting paxil and I've had lots of diarrhoea, nausea, loss of appetite, shaking, dry mouth, heat sensitivity and light sensitivity and have a most unpleasant sense of heat in my stomach, and chest.    These side effects are distressing because the doctor does't know what to do about me.   Thinks I need to come off paxil but hasn't got an alternative.   WAnts to sent me to a psychiatrist to get the meds sorted but they are too busy as it's xmas time.      

I'm celiac and highly sensitive to a number of medications - even panadol.       If anyone reads this can they direct me to where I might post to get helpful suggestions?    

I had not started researching anti depressants when I swapped to paxil.    I was pressured by the doctor to change meds.   I would like to stop taking it but fear the side effects will be too terrible.

1998 - 2000 took Paxil after moving back from overseas and feeling overwhelmed.   Tapered off and commenced exercise regime.   Said I would never take a/d's ever again. 

2003  Distressing event in marriage.    

2008   Agreed to take Lexapro 10mgs.   

May 2013  Decided to decrease Lexapro as only staying on to avoid withdrawal.     Within weeks of cutting dose to 5mgs I became highly anxious and depressed.    Increased to 10 mgs but had no effect on symptoms.   Didn't try to increase lexapro further rather changed to Paxil in November (over night change of medications).    Three and a half weeks of horrible side effects from the change to Paxil.    Intend to follow advice given here to taper slowly.   

I was on 10mgs of lexapro for 5 yrs. (PTSD)    Halved the dose in ignorance a few months ago - due to the belief that i didn't need it any more.    My world collapsed within weeks.  Shocking anxiety and depression.   I have been moved over to paxil.      I handled the situation badly as didn't realise I had W/D symptoms.   Found this site a couple of days ago.   I now get it.  OMG....     I have been on paxil 3  1/12 weeks.   Having terrible side effects.  Not sure I will be able to stay on it due to side effects.  

Given than the anxiety and depression is still quite bad - I may need something but which drug do I jump to that is any better than the others?    Everything I do now will be done with the long hard taper in mind. 

I want off a/d but do I need to be stable before I commence a long slow taper?  

1998 - 2000 took Paxil after moving back from overseas and feeling overwhelmed.   Tapered off and commenced exercise regime.   Said I would never take a/d's ever again. 

May 2013  Decided to decrease Lexapro as only staying on to avoid withdrawal.     Within weeks of cutting dose to 5mgs I became highly anxious and depressed.    Increased to 10 mgs but had no effect on symptoms.   Didn't try to increase lexapro further rather changed to Paxil in November (over night change of medications).    Three and a half weeks of horrible side effects from the change to Paxil.    Intend to follow advice given here to taper slowly.   

I was on 10mgs of lexapro for 5 yrs. (PTSD)    Halved the dose in ignorance a few months ago - due to the belief that i didn't need it any more.    My world collapsed within weeks.  Shocking anxiety and depression.   I have been moved over to paxil.      I handled the situation badly as didn't realise I had W/D symptoms.   Found this site a couple of days ago.   I now get it.  OMG....     I have been on paxil 3  1/12 weeks.   Having terrible side effects.  Not sure I will be able to stay on it due to side effects.   Given than the anxiety and depression is still quite bad - I may need something but which drug do I jump to that is any better than the others?    Everything I do now will be done with the long hard taper in mind.  I want off a/d but do I need to be stable before I commence a long slow taper?

Hi wiser now!I would go on Valium, the suggested benzo to taper off of because of the long half life,find the dosage that equals the amount of lexapro you were on then start tapering slowly. It took me 11months to get off Ativan that way whereas I couldn't get off at all until I switched to Valium. You might be able to go off Paxil more quickly because it hasn't been long that you've been on it.If you have Facebook access, I have a page that has all the info you need to get off Paxil called Benzo Beware. If not, I can send info to you directly. I am at alicot@comcast.net.You can do this without all those symptoms.. First order of business, get stable, end the symptoms, then start on an intelligent gentle withdrawal.

Took 11 months to kick Benzo? On Paxil for ten years 20mg? Got down to 7.5mg easily but hit a wall.Tried to lower it but kept hitting walls and updosing until..Now liquid Paxil4/3/2013 Took over 6 months to reach 7.2mg =3.6mL5/3/13 7.0 mg = 3.5 mL8/13. 3 mL or 6.6 mg7/5/2014 took a year to get to 6.1 but am stable there and still going.<p>12/2014 now at 6.05mL The good news, no or almost no withdrawal symptoms.

Have MS now so every little drop is difficult with symptoms. Not fun!

Stopped withdrawing at 6mg.

Got too hard with MS and is taking way too long...years, over 10. I may not be here that long and didn't want to spend my entire life in withdrawal so gave up at 6mg. Got a compound pharmacy to make the exact amount.

I have to squelch the feeling that "they" won! Really sucks but oh well, I have my life back.

• Administrator

Welcome, Wisernow.

I moved your post here to start your Introductions topic. You can track your progress by adding questions and updates to this topic. (If you wish to change the title, please let us know.)

How soon after you went off Lexapro were you switched to Paxil?

It's possible to have withdrawal syndrome from one drug even though you are on another.

I would not go on Valium or any other benzo if you can help it. They incur physical dependency and withdrawal as well.

You may be able to switch back to a low dose of Lexapro to quell the withdrawal symptoms. Then you would stabilize for at least a month and taper very carefully from there.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I stopped taking Lexapro one day and started Paxil the next day - three and a half weeks ago.     I've had a very difficult time getting on to Paxil.    My doctor pushed me to change my medication even though I kept saying I didn't want to.    GP became really irritated with me saying I was refusing to help myself.

ARe you saying I should take lexapro and paxil together and then try to taper both after I become stable?  I don't think I could take any more SSRI formula.   (not sure as maybe my issues are from w/d from  lexapro)   My stomach is not coping with 10 mgs of paxil.    I've got diarrhoea and nausea still - plus a few other miserable symptoms.     Could I switch back to lexapro and drop the paxil instead?      Would that be possible?   I have thought of doing that.  

I am celiac and have very sensitive stomach.   Can't even take panadol.  

Thank you for changing my post to the correct place.   I am very grateful for the advice and help.  

IP I'm not sure what Atvian is.  Is it an A/D?     I am using a very small amount of valium for the worst of the distress.   I will email you with regards the information you have offered. 

many thanks for advice given.

• Administrator

My guess is you are suffering Lexapro withdrawal. I would switch back to it. I guess you could overlap 2mg Lexapro with Paxil for a couple of days, then drop the Paxil. See if 2mg is enough, increase it if needed.

Any M.D. should be able to write the prescription.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I have a prescription for both paxil and lexapro.    Thanks Altostrata.    I will read up on the w/d side effects of lexapro and see if they fit what is happening to me.    It feels like the paxil itself is too strong for me - even at 10mgs.  

thanks.

Hi...your post caught my eye as I  crossed over from Paxil to Lexapro quite some time back.  The regular paxil was halted in our pharmacies so the pharmaceutical company could push their latest version at that time.  It was hellacious.  I was thrust in immediate WD as the doses were quite different in the new paxil.  It was time released.

I opted to do a crossover in a months time.  As Alto pointed out I had WD from paxil while on a full dose of Lexapro.  The good news is that it did not last more than a month or two.

I would follow her advise.....Hope you feel better and can get back on track.  You have nothing to lose by trying her suggestion.

Best regards

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

What were the w/d side effects you suffered?      How come they don't know this happens?  Why do they tell you to stop one and start another the next day?     My paxil is not time release but I am assuming I'm having w/d from lexapro.      I actually liked lexapro - in my ignorance of what was to happen when I decreased it.        maybe it's too late to introduce lexapro back.   I'm approaching 4 weeks since I switched.    I think paxil is stronger than lexapro.    At least it feels like my daily dose (10mgs) is like being slammed with a hammer!  my stomach has been hit pretty hard and the weight loss is really worrying.    

thanks for answering.    I think I'm too afraid to take any more of anything.   Would like to find a withdrawal symptoms list - is there a page on those anywhere on the site?   I'm not very good at finding my way around the site yet.

thanks 

• Administrator

• 2 years later...

Wisernow, 

If you still visit this site I would be interested in what you ended up doing and your progress?

Lexapro: started in 2002 at 10 mgs.

Ambien: started as a as needed sleep aid in 2010.

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

10/11/16: Off all psych medications

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.