Kristinacc Intro

kristinacc

I'll try to keep this short. First I have to say, I'm so happy I found this forum. if it weren't for that, I never would have understood that my past attempted weaning was withdrawal and i was indeed not crazy. It has definitely given me light at the end of the tunnel. 

My journey with depression and antidepressants began in 2006. My husband and I moved to a new state when I was nine months pregnant with our first son.  My husband travels very frequently for his work and can be gone for weeks at a time. Needless to say, I was home alone with no friends and family near me for help. Roughly four weeks after I gave birth, I became anxious and sad. I called my ob/gyn told him of my symptoms and after a brief 1 minute conversation, he called me in a prescription for 20mg of Prozac. Boy I wish I knew what I was getting into back then. 

Eight years I've been on prozac and I have had two unsuccessful attempts at weaning. The first time was in 2009, I went from 20 to 10mg and was only at 10mg for a few weeks and reinstated. The second time was about 10 months ago. I pushed through the brain zaps, ringing in ears, dizziness, noise and light sensitivities, brain fogs, and irritability and was weaned within a month. It wasn't until about four to six weeks after I quit the medication completely that I hit a brick wall. I would wake up every morning with dread, constant uncontrollable crying, chest pain and terrible anxiety. I was unable to take care of my children and unable to do the everyday things that I had done for years without a thought. These feelings were nothing like what I had before I started prozac. I am a stay at home mom with a traveling husband which makes laying in bed and resting pretty much not an option. I actually had to fly my mom in from California to help me. We were both baffled by my behavior. I thought that was just how I was because of my situation and unfortunately, I had to reinstate at 20mg. I now understand after reading these forums that the doctor's tapering schedule was way too fast for my body to handle. Unfortunately my doctor believes that it was my underlying condition, and there was no way that it was withdrawal because it happened "so long" after discontinuing. He wanted to add ability to the prozac and that is when i realized I was on my own. 

I am now preparing myself to once again taper. I purchased and read the Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's book, "The Antidepressant solution." I plan to reduce dosage at a much smaller amount than the recommended 10%. I fully believe in the importance of a good nutrition in healing. I have been eating whole foods diet for the past two years although with the holidays have gotten out of my good habits and am slowly getting back on track. I am taking a multivitamin, fish oil, 300mg of niacinamide, and a b vitamin daily. I have read that probiotics help as well, but have not taken them before. I remember having lots of nausea, severe lack of appetite, (lost seven pounds, was already down to 118) and bowel issues. I'm thinking if I get my diet and supplements in order before I begin the weaning process that will help cut down on any reactions and surprises. I'm a little skeptical on the probiotics still. Anyone have a good probiotic they recommend? I try to eat plain greek yogurt daily and drink kefir occasionally. 

I'm a planner and a control freak and am beginning to get nervous thinking about going through this again. But I am determined to get off of this medicine for good. With my mom in California and Dad in Texas I don't have much support. My husbands family is great and try to understand, but they have no clue about what I'm going through. They are from the old school where if you don't see it, it's not real. I look forward to having these forums for support in the future.  :)

- 2006 - 2009 Prozac 20mg 

- June 2009- February 2010 OB/GYN recommended switching to wellbutrin while pregnant with 2nd child.

- February 2010 switched back to Prozac 20mg

Have been weaning since 2013ish - Currently at 4mg

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5546-kristinacc-intro/

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Kristinacc,

Welcome to our forum and thank you for sharing your story.  I'm so glad you didn't take the abilify your doctor suggested.

You will find a lot of help and support here and will be able to come off Prozac.   Here is our thread with tips for tapering off Prozac:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/759-tips-for-tapering-off-prozac-fluoxetine/?hl=prozac

It sounds like you have prepared yourself well.

Here is a discussion thread with some information about probiotics:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1229-probiotics-and-gut-health/?hl=probiotics

Do you have a planned start date for tapering?

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

kristenacc, with your history and your attitude I think you have every reason to expect success. 

It sounds like the only med you've been on is Prozac, and you've had two unsuccessful attempts to get off it, and you've never taken more than 20 mg, is that correct?

Perhaps you can enter your med history into your sig line like this:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Are you planning to use liquid? That's usually the easiest way to control a taper rate.

I think as long as you're willing to take it slow, especially at first (start slow until you see how your body is going to react, then speed up to tolerance, rather than starting aggressive and hitting the wall and having to hold for a long time before you can taper again)-- As long as you're willing to take it slow I predict you'll do just fine.

Welcome, and good luck!

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Thanks Petu and Rhi!

No, I do not have a start date yet. I wanted to get stocked up on vitamins, and research the probiotics some more. I also need to get a bottle and syringe for the solution. I guess you can say I might be stalling a bit. Just want to be absolutely ready this time.  :)

Rhi, yes 20mg was the highest dose on prozac. I also forgot about the nine months I was on wellbutrin back in 2009-2010. (I added my sig line now) It was a switch recommended by my Ob/gyn to take during pregnancy only. Apparently she thought the wellbutrin was safer for pregnancy than the prozac. My memory is terrible and I can't remember the dosage for that. But it was whatever was equivalent to 20mg of prozac. Probably 150 or 200.

Thank you both for the encouraging words definitely planning on taking it slow and steady this time. Do you think beginning my initial taper at 2.5% is a good starting point? 

- June 2009- February 2010 OB/GYN recommended switching to wellbutrin while pregnant with 2nd child.

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5546-kristinacc-intro/

• 2 weeks later...

Update: 

I made my first reduction today. I decided to start slow at 2.5% and see how I do for a few months. I am already getting nervous just looking at my symptom chart. I really don't want them to come back like they did. 

Does anyone feel different when they switch to the liquid? Kind of in a fog? Although, I slept longer than usual today and my son's school was cancelled and he didn't have school yesterday. We've been off schedule so that probably doesn't help either. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations on making a start.  I'm sure you will be fine with going as carefully as you are. In the unlikely event that you have symptoms which come back and don't subside, you can hold longer, or even updose slightly.  We are here to support you.

Prozac is one of the easier ADs to come off.

Keep us updated on how you are doing.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

Welcome, Kristinacc.

Sometimes people feel a little different when switching to the liquid. This is because it is absorbed faster. My guess is you'll get used to it.

As far as side effects go, sleepiness is better than the opposite!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Kristinacc, you're going to be fine. There may be a period of adjustment to the liquid and you may have some mild withdrawal from the small cut, but it should pass. Keep a journal of your symptoms as they unfold and resolve, especially for the first few months, until you have a sense of how tapering and your body work together.

I suspect you'll be able to speed up to tolerance and go a bit faster until you get to the very lowest doses. Experiment conservatively. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much easier this is than before, with a slow taper.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Kristin.....you are probably the only person ever to come onto a WD support group armed with info and an understanding of what ca happen.  The 2.5% reduction is much better than doing the 10%.  It will help ease you into it with little trouble.

Everyone gets nervous over a drop in dose.  You are not alone.  There can be a change in going from pills to liquid, but we adjust.  Not to worry.

Years back no one knew what was going on or that there was WD.  We were all labeled depressed and that we were digressing once again. 

Nice to meet you

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words. This liquid tastes awful but I was afraid to mix with juice and wanted to keep it as close to what my body recognizes since I was already switching to the liquid. I think next time I mix the solution, I'm going to have to do it with juice instead of water.

I can't tell you how nice it is to talk to people that "get it!" 

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update: a few days after I made the 2.5% reduction back in January, I decided to up it to 5%. I've been at 19mg for almost four weeks. Things have been going very well, no symptoms whatsoever. I've been thinking about how extremely fast I tapered last year and the symptoms that accompanied (they were tolerable until I was completely off the meds)  I decided to make a 10% reduction today. Hopefully I'm not being too confident and getting ahead of myself. 

• Administrator

Please let us know how you do.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 1 year later...

*post and responses moved from tapering forum

I'm down to 1.5ml of Prozac and I accidentally took 2.5 today. Does anyone know if this will have any effect on me? I'm currently in the second week of a cut. I normally have slight withdrawal symptoms around week three and I'm worried this will mess with me even more. I'm not on anything other than prozac.

Edited by Petunia
added note

• Administrator

You will feel funny for a while.

Take your normal dose the next day.

We cannot predict how this will affect your taper. It may have no effect.

• Moderator Emeritus

I take two antidepressants & I have accidentally doubled up on both ( not on the same day thank goodness!!) .

One of the antidepressants ( lexapro) causes drowsiness... on the day I doubled up on that it wiped me out for that day. Very lethargic..sleepy.

The other ( wellbutrin XL) is the opposite.. and the day I accidentally doubled up on it I was wired for that day.

The day after for each I was back to normal. 

Just an FYI. You may be different obviously but it happens.. I wouldn't worry about it. Just be ready and don't freak out. It will pass.

RU

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

• 4 weeks later...

Kristine,

How did it go after the double dose?

Me too, not even by accident. I am at 3.3mg lexapro and was just feeling stable from the long journey of slow taper, then today I took 1 mg more. It happened as I take my liquid over two hour period to minimize the immediate side effect during dosing. So in the middle of the dosing, I found the syringe was empty on the top for 1 mg. I tested and tried hard to figure out what happened, and found the syringe is loose and can dripping. After lots of debating, I decided to add 1mg more. After 30 mins finishing all at 1pm, I started getting various symptoms, quick heart beat, numbed, full head, dizziness, nausea, anxious, chill, almost feel like a panic attack was coming. I drank tons of water for extreme dry month until around 7pm when my mouth stopped feeling too dry. I started feeling like manic late afternoon then fell into half sleep or something. Now is 8pm I'm still feeling very dizzy and half- dreaming.

I got a very severe reaction last year from increasing dose from 2.7 to 4,5 holding for few weeks, I'm crossing my fingers this one day increase won't throw me back to another hell and wipe out my one year taper effort.

Can't believe how powerful this poison is, and it is still being given to ppl.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,