Eva: struggling after 20+ years Prozac and now without.

eva

• Administrator

eva, all the benzos incur the same risk. There is no lighter benzo.

You should try to take the lowest effective dosage. You may need to open a capsule to see if a partial dose will work for you, or get a lower dosage from your doctor.

I can't tell you whether 10 days on a benzo will incur a withdrawal problem. For some people, it would.

How are your other symptoms? Have you seen any changes since reinstatement? Please keep notes on paper about your daily symptom pattern relative to when you take your drugs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

My other symptoms are much better. The anxiety and panic are almost  gone. The worrying and ovethinking of my situation is less. But that might be just because I am sleeping again... I have taken the 10 mg fluoxetine now for six days, could it really be working already?

I feel much more calm, but still tired from all the stress of the past month.

Will go to my GP this morning to talk about when to lower the benzo-dosage.

1990-2013: prozac, 40 mg. daily

2013: st. Johnswort, 3 x 300 mg. daily

tapered st. Johnswort, now off it.

magnesium oil: applied to feet, at night

low dose naltrexone: 3 mg. daily

Taurine 3 x 500 mg.

calcium: 800 mg.

Fishoil

Amino acids complex

Ashwaganda, 2 x 450 mg.

August 2014: stopped supplements, reinstated prozac, first 10 mg., now 15 mg. , for severe anxiety and panic and total insomnia.

• Administrator

Yes, sounds like the fluoxetine is working -- for your withdrawal syndrome.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Yes... will not start taperering the fluoxetine too soon and when I do, extremely slow...

Taurine 3 x 500 mg.

Fishoil

Amino acids complex

Ashwaganda, 2 x 450 mg.

August 2014: stopped supplements, reinstated prozac, first 10 mg., now 15 mg. , for severe anxiety and panic and total insomnia.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey Eva. I just wanted to check-in and see how you're doing. I hope things are going well.

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

Hey Addax, thanks for asking... I have been on a two week holiday with my family. Had some good moments but still too much anxiety and no sleep without benoz's. Two days ago i upped the fluoxetine to 15 mg., which initially is making the nights worse agian... but that will only last for a few days I hope. My gp wants me to take 20 mg as 15 is below the lowest 'normal' dose, and she would prefer if I started paroxetine, because that would ne better for anxiety and is more 'moder'. But I am afraid of starting any new meds.... had weird side effects in the past when trying other ssri's then prozac.

I hope the 15 mg will really help and that i will be able to taper the flurazepam. Did taper to 5 mg. but because of the higher dose of prozac had to take 15 mg last night again. But will start tapering it as soon as the initial side effects of the prozac have died down.

Taurine 3 x 500 mg.

Fishoil

Amino acids complex

Ashwaganda, 2 x 450 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad you had some good moments while on holiday, but sorry to hear you had to deal with anxiety and poor sleep. I'm not sure I understand your GPs rationale for increasing to 20mg or switching to another medication. I hope one of the admins will weigh-in here.

I hope the 5mg increase helps. As you alluded to, it will take several days for your body to adjust and for you to know. For me, Benzos increased my anxiety once they wore off. I started taking Ativan for sleep, but found my anxiety would be much worse upon waking the following day when it had left my system.

I hope your sleep improves and your anxiety subsides quickly!

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad you had a good holiday Eva. If you are feeling worse after increasing the prozac I doubt that it will get easier.

Your body is reacting to the higher dose. Your doctor saying that 20mg is needed to be effective is talking about

the chemical imbalance myth!  There are some graphs about receptor occupancy in the scientific section that 

disproves what the doctors say about low doses.  You are right to avoid switching to another drug, the last thing

your nervous system needs is  more changes.  

There are windows and waves when in withdrawal and tapering, when things get worse and settle down again. 

You can read about that here  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-recovery/

You have only taken 2 doses at 15, I think I would stick with the 10 for a while longer to stabilise. Upping to 15 and then having to up

the fluorazepam will be destabilising. 

This will pass but you need to be patient. I know that is not easy but it will pay off in the end. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thanks Adddax!

MammaP, I know about the windows and waves, and have experienced them over the past year without meds. But this, the panic, severe anxiety plus not being able to sleep due to nightly panic attacks and physical jolts everytime I fell asleep, was not something I could sit through. I was afraid I was losing my mind and that has never happened to me before. I have three kids to take care of and can't loose it. I took the 10 mg for 4 weeks and when I started it, it also made the panic worse for a few days before it started to help. I had to take 30 mg. flurazepam for a few days, then dropped to 15, and then to 10 and then 5.

Also, I have stopped and started fluoxetine before, and 10 mg. was never enough to really work. The last time was about a year and a half ago. I think I will take the 15 mg for a few more days to see if the increase in fear stops again.... if not, I will drop to 10 again.

Taurine 3 x 500 mg.

Fishoil

Amino acids complex

Ashwaganda, 2 x 450 mg.

• Administrator

Eva, please go carefully with fluoxetine. Your system is more sensitive than it was, you will react differently. Better to start with a very small dose to see how it affects you.

Hi Alto I started at 10 mg. and stayed on that dose for 4 weeks. It lessened the panic and anxiety a little but not enough and i stil have the nightly jerking and waves of panic if `i don't take flurazepam for the night. I upped the prozac to 15 mg. five days ago, it made the anxiety flare up again for the first few days but today I felt better. I will stay on the 15 mg. for at least another 4 weeks, to see what happens. In the meantime I will try a slow taper of the flurazepam, while staying in contact witj my GP and my psychotherapist.

I am sad to be on meds again, after a whole yaer without any meds at all... but I felt it was the lesser of two evils, the other evil being having to go to a psych ward and not being able to take care of my family anymore.

Taurine 3 x 500 mg.

Fishoil

Amino acids complex

Ashwaganda, 2 x 450 mg.

• 3 years later...

Goodness,   I never know what is wrong with me but no SSRI ever worked, and now I figured why not try St John’s...

3 weeks in and i feel manic and acid brain.  Just had a bit of depersonalization.

If only 3 weeks at 900 daily can I just stop?

• Administrator

If I were you, Jasper, I'd reduce by 25% and see how that feels.

Please start a topic for yourself in the Introductions forum.

• 1 year later...
On 2/28/2014 at 3:39 AM, Altostrata said:

Since you've already got withdrawal symptoms, I would reinstate perhaps 500mg a day -- your nervous system might have adjusted somewhat to a lower dose -- stabilize for a month or two, and then taper.

You can probably get St. John's Wort in lower doses and cut up the tablets so you're tapering by small amounts, such as 25mg.

We have had people here who got St. John's Wort in liquid drops and tapered using the liquid.

General information about St. John's Wort here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/652-st-johns-wort-hypericum-perforatum/

Note: St. John's Wort is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI). If you are taking it, you may have odd reactions to a substance called tyramine in some foods. You may wish to go on a restricted diet for MAOIs http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depression/expert-answers/maois/faq-20058035

Please start a topic for yourself in the Introductions forum http://tinyurl.com/3o4k3j5

and let us know your progress.

Hi. 

I know this is an old thread but I was reading about St Johns wort. As I cant get any relief from my depression, I will try St Johns wort. My question is if St Johns wort are as "potent" as MAOI antidepressants, when it comes to being carefull with tyramine in foods? I hope not because I think its my last hope to ease my depression. I think its related to withdrawing zopiclone but Im really not sure anymore. Mabye both. Have had depression before (before benzo). 

Thanks

Zopiclon 2013 and still. 

Oxazepam (Serax) May 2017- sept 2018. Jumped up and down 20-25 mg, started to have interdose w/d in Jan 2018.

Tapered out Oxazepam (a bit fast by first 50 % then 25%) from 30 july 2018, stopped oct 14, 2018. Felt awfull, many w/d symtoms. Eased up slowly. 

Tapering Zopiclone.

From about 12.5 mg usually (some nights 12 mg)

Tapering : 9 dec - 26 dec 11 mg

27 dec - - 10 mg

Having anxiety day time and depression (almost the other horrible w/d from Oxazepam is gone). Anxeity comes around noon and go away at around 8 pm that was the pattern before tapering Z. 

Take Magnesium citrat 120 mg

Ecitalopram 2016 about 7 month, and 2017 may-oct 2017.

Lyrica sept 2016-january 2017. No w/d when CT. 

• Administrator

Thanks. Do you mean they had bad reactions when trying them in withdrawal ?  Ive only read about some people here taking them so its hard to know. Some good reactions too.

I guess people react bad on ADs too. I guess they are suppose to be safer than AD. In Sweden its approwed by MPA

Zopiclon 2013 and still. 

Oxazepam (Serax) May 2017- sept 2018. Jumped up and down 20-25 mg, started to have interdose w/d in Jan 2018.

Tapered out Oxazepam (a bit fast by first 50 % then 25%) from 30 july 2018, stopped oct 14, 2018. Felt awfull, many w/d symtoms. Eased up slowly. 

Tapering Zopiclone.

From about 12.5 mg usually (some nights 12 mg)

Tapering : 9 dec - 26 dec 11 mg

27 dec - - 10 mg

Having anxiety day time and depression (almost the other horrible w/d from Oxazepam is gone). Anxeity comes around noon and go away at around 8 pm that was the pattern before tapering Z. 

Take Magnesium citrat 120 mg

Ecitalopram 2016 about 7 month, and 2017 may-oct 2017.

Lyrica sept 2016-january 2017. No w/d when CT.