Furiated: [PROGRESS THREAD] Male, 18, suffering from Cymbalta's poisonous effects.

Furiated

Hello people. My story begins back in september 2013. Before than, I was already around 2 or 3 times before on some other antidepressants/psychotics (solian, etc dont remember the other names) but for very short periods of time. I don't think any of them exceeded 1-1.5 month and the side effects from them surely weren't as horrific as CYMBALTA'S.

My troubled journey beging back in september 2013 as I said. I was anxious and depressed about a personal matter so we went to a supposedly "good" doctor (Good my A*S). He told me I can do a DNA test so we can see which drug I can metabolize, because my organism is very sensitive to drugs. (I suffered extrapiramidal effects from a low dose solian once. that idiot doctor told me he never heard of that before. whatever) The test came back and he told me to take cymbalta, 60mg.

My initial thought was, since I am so sentisitve to drugs, I won't take 60 mg, I'll start with 30mg. First week was good, I felt up and didn't feel really that sad anymore.

Then, out of idiocy, I decided I should raise my dose to 60 mg after one week. Everything that works good works better at higher amounts, right?

NO! Big mistake. All hell broke loose with that 60mg dose. I got erectile dysfunction (Where previously with the 30 mg, I had persistent arousal disroder), my eyes started to hurt and probably a few others that I don't remember. I got scared and wanted to get off the drugs but the doctor told me they would go away after a few weeks.

The next day, we reduced the dose to 30mg again. Another big mistake IMO because I think I got withdrawals from that. I kept on taking 30mg for the rest 2 months, where the side effects had gotten so bad that I couldn't take this drug anymore. Plus, its effectiveness was gone. We tried to skip days before stopping it, a lot of stuff that we probably shouldn't do (I say we cause my father was helping me. I was too much of an emotional zombie to think myself). Anyway, around early or mid november, I quit cymbalta 30mg cold turkey.

The initial serious side effect I had was severe erectile dysfunction, no libido and decreased sperm count along with right test*cle pain. Sperm was so little to what it once was that I was scared that my testicles had been damaged.

Anyway, that was the most serious side effect. After about 1 month, it started to get better but no-where near it once was. I waited patiently and after 2 months, I had a sudden peak at improvement but still no-where near it one was. My libido got higher and I was able to maintain stronger erections but sperm came out watery-like and not creamy-like albeit more than it was right after my discontinuation.

Around the second month, or mid second month, I began experiencing anxiety, I begun stuttering, my thinking was blurry and I didn't find joy in foods, or pleasurable things anymore. I felt like a zombie, only that I didn't feel like it was abnormal at that time. I'll get to that later.

I started becoming extremely anxious, irritable, I hated everyone and most of all, myself. My memory is bad from those particular times so I am afraid I won't be able to provide many details, just general descriptions.

Anyway, I felt lonely, desperate and more depressed than ever. I forgot to say I also started losing  abnormal amounts of scalp hair and body hair around early-mid december (Hair loss cause is traced always 3-4 months back. See hair cycle).

I began searching online and I stumbled upon the SSRI withdrawal page on wikipedia. It was there where I saw many of the problems I had, including my biggest worry. Sexual dysfunction. I found something called PSSD and I searched around the term and I felt heartbroken. Nothing of what I read seemed good. Not only that, nobody seemed to came back to report success.

I did some hormone tests to see if anything is wrong with my pituiaty gland, the hormones it produces like FSH, prolactin, etc. I wanted to see my testosterone, my cortisol levels and DHEA-S levels.

Here is my test:

Cortisol: 18.3 (morning) reference 6.2 - 19.4
FSH: 1.3 reference 1.1 - 13.3
Prolactine: 6.6 ref (2.1 - 17.7)
Estradiol: 24.0 reference <70
SHBG: 19 reference 10-80
Testosterone: 472 ref 249 - 836
Free testosterone: 13 ng/dL = 2.74 %
Bioavailable testosterone: 304 ng/dL = 64.3 %
S-DHEA: 321 ref 70.2 - 492
LH: 3.0 ref 1.4 - 9.2

I had done another a few months before than, my SHBG was higher which meant less free testosterone so there's one improvement!

However, as you can see, my FSH is pretty low. FSH is responsible for spermatogenesis in men.

===================================================================

So, this is my story. Now, as for how I ended up here and what I am currently doing.

As I said, I felt desperate and helpless. I had to get on something to make me feel better. We had some xanax leftovers so I decided I would take 1 mg's xanax to calm me down and sleep non-stop, since it was a side effect to me.

I took 6 1mg pills in 4 days. Around the second or third day, I started getting heart palpitations, body aches, my libido went down again, erectile dysfunction. I thought that I got these because of stress but little did I know, I was sufferring from xanax withdrawal. I didn't know this at the time, so I stopped xanax cold turkey, The paliptations didn't go away, my heart begun to pump for no reason. I felt like a zombie again.

I thought I had heart illness so we went to a cardiologists who found nothing in me. He found however an aching nerve (because I told him my left arm felt numb) and told me my heart is fine and the never is what is causing the numbness in your heart. (However that didn't explain my back pain, the chest tightness, etc).

We left and I kept thinking what is wrong with me. 2 days passed and none of these symptoms seemed to decrease. Then it struck me. I remembered that whenever I got those palipations during taking my xanax pills, when I took another pill, they would subside!! So I immediatelly thought that I am suffering from withdrawal from xanax (After only 4 days. Lol). I begun tapering xanax. Took the first 3 days 0.5mg and the other 3, 0.25 mg. My heart palipations were gone. I don't think I would be alright today palpitations wise if I didn't do that.

Why did I tell you this
? Hold on, I'll get to it now.

So, yesterday, another idea struck me. I remembered that I quit cymbalta cold turkey. So, I thought, it must be withdrawal what I have!

I started searching for ways on how to reduce the dose of cymbalta 30mg as I didn't know there were beads inside. I ended up on this site where I read a post of the administrator, Altostrata, saying how beginning a small dose of the same drug again and sowly tapering by counting beads can help.

So yesterday, I took 1 pill of cymbalta 30mg after 3 months.

I immediatelly felt a breeze on my body, I felt being alive again and that was only after 1.5 hour after I took the pill. My libido rose suddenly after a few hours and my genitals were more sensitive. I begun feeling human again. My thoughts became clear and my anger subsided.

As I am typing this, today, it is the second day. In about 2 hours, I'll take my next dose and then I'll slowly begin to taper.

Below, I will list side effects and benefits of each day. I won't abandon this thread, so whatever happens to me, be it success or failure, you guys will know in this thread.

Below, is the list.

• 16/2/2014: Begun the tapering process. Took 30mg cymbalta. After 1-2 hours, I felt my body awakening, I felt my thoughts clearing up. Libido rose, erections were more sensitive. test*cle pain went away.

Side effects: Later on the same night, pupil dilation, didn't sweat much, imagination didn't work, felt like a zombie, restless leg syndrome, insomnia

• 17/2/2014: Side effects have subsided. My pupils still feel a little weird, however, my imagination now works better, erectile dysfunction is a little better, libido is steady, restlessness is gone, restless leg syndrome is gone and I can sweat again. Will take 29mg today.

• Dropped Cymbalta 30mg Nov. 2013
  • Suffered what appeared to be withdrawal (PSSD, anger, emotional numbness)
  • Begun tapering from 30mg on 16/2/2014 by counting beads

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Furiated, I am glad you found us and that you have found reinstatement has worked for 

you, I'm so happy to hear that  :) . As you are feeling so well please hold your current dose

for a few weeks or even months until you stabilise, your nervous system has taken a battering

and will need time. You will likely have some bad days when you think withdrawal is hitting you

again but don't panic, it is just your body going through the healing process. Once you have

been stable for a few weeks then start to taper slowly. 

Please do not worry about your manhood, all will be fine and it is very unlikely the effects  be

permanent and you will go on to have a normal life. 

It would be a help for us if you can put the last part of your post with your drug history on it,

into you sig line.  Here is how to do that.  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi Furiated, I am glad you found us and that you have found reinstatement has worked for 

you, I'm so happy to hear that  :) . As you are feeling so well please hold your current dose

for a few weeks or even months until you stabilise, your nervous system has taken a battering

and will need time. You will likely have some bad days when you think withdrawal is hitting you

again but don't panic, it is just your body going through the healing process. Once you have

been stable for a few weeks then start to taper slowly. 

Please do not worry about your manhood, all will be fine and it is very unlikely the effects  be

permanent and you will go on to have a normal life. 

It would be a help for us if you can put the last part of your post with your drug history on it,

into you sig line.  Here is how to do that.  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Hey Mamma P. I think I must reduce the dose steadily until I reach around 10 to 5 mg. This is the dose I have found working best for me without side effects considering the half-life of the drug. Until then, I must endure some pretty annoying sides. :P

I will then keep the dose steady and will slowly begin to taper until I diminish it.

Let's see!

As for the sig: I'll make sure to do this as soon as I find some time. :)

• 17/2/2014 - Took 25 mg today. Side effects have worsened than before a few hours but I am better than yesterday. I think my body is adjusting. Goal is maintaining at 10mg. We'll get there. :)

Libido is a lot better today. Very encouraging. Mild test*cle pain cause my cat hit me in the balls. :P

• Administrator

Welcome, Furiated.

I am glad reinstating Cymbalta has given you some relief.

I am concerned that even 25mg might prove to be too much for you, given the adverse effects you experienced at that dosage before. Also, it sounds like your system was sensitized by the too-high 60mg dose of Cymbalta.

If I were you, I'd consider a "low dose" for reinstatement to be perhaps 10mg.

It takes about 4 days to feel the full effect of a dose -- counting from your initial reinstatement of 30mg two days ago. I might go down to 15mg for your next dose, and 10mg after that.

But -- I can't tell the future. I'm only expressing my concerns based on a guess.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Welcome, Furiated.

I am glad reinstating Cymbalta has given you some relief.

I am concerned that even 25mg might prove to be too much for you, given the adverse effects you experienced at that dosage before. Also, it sounds like your system was sensitized by the too-high 60mg dose of Cymbalta.

If I were you, I'd consider a "low dose" for reinstatement to be perhaps 10mg.

It takes about 4 days to feel the full effect of a dose -- counting from your initial reinstatement of 30mg two days ago. I might go down to 15mg for your next dose, and 10mg after that.

But -- I can't tell the future. I'm only expressing my concerns based on a guess.

Hey altostrata, It's 5 am here now, 18/2/2014. I am feeling pretty bad but not because of side effects. (They are better than yesterday). This damned testicular pain is killing me. It makes me nauseous but I don't think cymbalta did it now. I pressed my right and left test*cle and while the left didn't hurt, this one is killing me.

In 3 ultrasounds in the past 1.5 month they didn't find anything worrisome and that's worrisome by itself.

You are right that I am too sensitive to that thing.

• Administrator

If the testicular pain is related to Cymbalta, it may decrease if you decrease the dosage.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Updates:

• 18/2/2014: I took 20mg. Side effects were significantly less, to be honest, I only had mydriasis this time which quickly went away. Benefits are even more! Right after I took the dose (1 hour later), it made me emotionally unstable, angry and depressed. A few hours later however, I felt my head starting to clear, like some fog going away. My testicular pain is getting better and my libido and genital sensitivity begin to rise. I still have some trouble maintaining erection but that could be due to the drug itself. Semen quality and sperm count also seem to get better.

• 19/2/2014: I feel energetic again. The chornic fatigue is gone, I feel human again. Libido is very good and I can arouse myself by thought. Erections are still not as easy to maintain but it's at least 65% better than I was before I begun tapering. I feel relaxed and able to do normal everyday tasks. Taste of food, smells, playing video games, all have a meaning to me now and I don't feel numb doing them. I will take the next 15mg dose is a few hours and I think I'll stabilize at 10mg then slowly begin to taper again.

• Administrator

Very good news, Furiated. Please let us know how you do.

Update:

• 19/2/2014: I took 16 mg. There were no side effects at all at this dose. I think I am a little below than the optimal dose so I'll go at 17 mg tomorrow, stabilize there, then start tapering and quit the drug. Other than a little anxiety I have over a personal matter (not related to the drug), all the other benefits still remain.

• Administrator

If the pain has been relieved, you may want to stay at one dosage for a month before decreasing again.

I strongly recommend reporting your adverse reaction to the US FDA and your government authorities http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/363-report-your-withdrawal-symptoms-to-government-agencies/

@Alto: I really cannot link Cymbalta to the pain yet. I also have back pain which I had before the drug, plus one nerve on my back is protruding which also affects my inner thing tendon (which is very close to the test*cle) so I'll have to revise as to what really causes my pain.

Update:

• 20/2/2014: I took 17mg today. While I had no side effects and arousal was normal after a few hours I had taken the dose, later in the night I experienced difficulty getting aroused. I feel kind of numb again. I am also very tired so this might play a role as I am not 100% healed yet. Tomorrow will show.

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad you are feeling better Furiated. You will probably find that you fluctuate a little

from day to day as your CNS settles down.  There may be some bad days but that doesn't 

mean you need to adjust any doses, just hold and it should settle again. 

It's really good that things are getting better, I hope it continues for you. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Updates:

• 21/2/2014: I took 18 mg because 17 proven to still be low. No major differences. Erectile dysfunction was still present.

• 22/2/2014: I took 19 mg. This really made a a difference. I got the benefits of 20mg without the side effects. Later that night, my erections became better than they have been in those 3 months. I am clear headed and not short-tempered at all. I feel really good.

• 23/2/2014: I feel great. My erections are rock hard, libido is REALLY great (maybe the same as it was before the drugs) and I am clear headed. I will take 19mg today. This is going really well.

• Moderator Emeritus

Just my 2 pennies: changing dosages on a daily bases as a knee jerk reaction to symptoms is usually asking for serious trouble.

Plus Alto has probably worn out the keys on her keyboard writing to people that any changes in dosage takes 4 days to register...

good luck

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• 2 months later...

Hello guys and girls. I didn't sign in for some time because I felt like I couldn't be updating with every little detail.

I am now at 7 mg and taking away 0.5 a day. Needless to say, my PSSD is CURED. Yes. Cured.

And along with it, everything else. My emotional numbness, my constant withdrawal like symptoms and everything bad.

I wanna thank altostrata for the post she made about the withdrawal.

In conclusion, my theory is that PSSD is nothing more than withdrawal which is caused by the sudden stopping of the med and the brain goes into "panic" mode as its neurotransmitters have been messed up by the sudden stoppid. That's just my theory though.

Considering how little success stories there are online, (I have only read 2 tbh) this should give hope to people.

Remember, if you are seeing postivie changes, even minor ones, chances are the brain is not "damaged".

I am also getting some mornign erections every now and then.

(If you could say waking up at 3pm is morning. lol)

• Administrator

Excellent news, Furiated.

Yes, PSSD can be related to withdrawal symptoms.

I am very happy you're doing so well with reducing Cymbalta.

Are you taking away .5mg more per day? As this point, that may be reducing too fast. If I were you, I'd stop reducing the dosage for a month to give your nervous system time to adjust. Then, I might reduce by perhaps a bead every week.

• 1 month later...

How is all? Posting to let you know that things are even better now.

Basically what seems to be happening is that there are still little for my body to fix. I have restored 97% of my function. Every few weeks (the time frame gets longer each time) I get 3 days of disfunction and then follows up many weeks of even better function than the last time. I give it 1 or 2 more cycles to compeltely fix.

If I don't post here again, everything is well.

Btw, the rest of the sides are completely gone. I have regained my personality, my taste sensitivity, basically everything.

Good luck to all and I hope this gives you hope.

• Moderator Emeritus

That's great news Furiated, I'm really happy for you. Thank you for updating us on your 

progress  :)

2002  effexor. 

• Administrator

Thank you for letting us know how well you're doing, Furiated. How many beads are you taking now?

• Moderator Emeritus

Yay! Thanks for sharing your success with us. 

Remember that you need to taper more slowly at the end. But it sounds like you're feeling pretty good.

If you're up for it, maybe you could write a short success story in our Success Stories section. People are always looking for hope, and your story is great.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Thank you for letting us know how well you're doing, Furiated. How many beads are you taking now?

Yay! Thanks for sharing your success with us. 

Remember that you need to taper more slowly at the end. But it sounds like you're feeling pretty good.

If you're up for it, maybe you could write a short success story in our Success Stories section. People are always looking for hope, and your story is great.

I have completely stopped since 1 month. I am 99% functional down there now and I feel great.

I hope my success story gives hope to everyone.

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad you are doing so well F, I'm really happy for you.  :)

2002  effexor. 

• 1 year later...

Hello all, I think I've read somewhere before that dyloxetine can store itself in adipose tissue even after discontinuing it. Does this hold any truth to it? Would shedding the extra weight mean that the remaining drug molecules would get metabolized?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Furiated,

Bumping so you can find your post (I moved it to here as there is only 1 intro thread per member).

Best wishes,

KarenB

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Administrator

Furiated, how are you feeling now?

No, the "storage" of drugs in adipose tissue is not a concern.