SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Eva: struggling after 20+ years Prozac and now without.

eva

Hello everybody,

My name is Eva, I am 47 years old, and a mother of three boys, aged 7, 13 and 14. When i was 24, my psychiatrist put me on prozac, that seemed to be the new wonderdrug. it helped me, made me less shy, and less depressed. in the course of the years i have tried to quit quite a few times but every time i fell into a depressed and extremely irritated state that was worse then i had ever experienced before i started taking prozac.

Now, i have been off prozac for almost a year, and right now i am feeling so low that i've started thinking about taking prozac again. but i really don't want to. i have good days, but too many bad days, with depression, irratability and anxiety. The anxiety is new, i used not to be anxious.

I hope to find some support here, and advice. i really don't want to be back on prozac, but i also want to have a life, and be a good and not always depressed mother to my sons, and also  the relatioship with my husband is very difficult right now because i am in such a lousy mood much of the time.

I tried lots of herbs and supplements, right now i use st. johnswort, fishoil, a super-multivitamin, magnesium, low dose naltrexone, and cannabis-oil for an irritated/inflamed very painful nerve in my shoulder.

Is it possible that after 10 months i am still in some sort of withdrawal? And what can i do to feel better? I am getting kinda desperate.

Kind regards from the netherlands, Eva

1990-2013: prozac, 40 mg. daily

2013: st. Johnswort, 3 x 300 mg. daily

tapered st. Johnswort, now off it.

magnesium oil: applied to feet, at night

low dose naltrexone: 3 mg. daily

Taurine 3 x 500 mg.

calcium: 800 mg.

Fishoil

Amino acids complex

Ashwaganda, 2 x 450 mg.

August 2014: stopped supplements, reinstated prozac, first 10 mg., now 15 mg. , for severe anxiety and panic and total insomnia.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Eva, I'm sorry you are going through this. Reinstating prozac could make you feel worse after so long off it.

Your depression and the way you are feeling is most likely withdrawal symptoms. 

Looking at your supplements, there are some there that could actually be making things worse. 

St Johns wort tends to aggravate withdrawal in many people, fish oil is good, so is magnesium, they

are the only 2 that are actually recommended here because many of them can have adverse effects.

Could you put your drugs history in your signature strip for us? Then it will appear at the bottom of your posts 

and it will be easier to help you.  How long have you been taking St Johns wort, and what dose? Is the cannabis oil 

applied externally? 

Here is how to do that http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

You are in the right place here and hopefully will learn some things that you can do to help you feel better. 

Feeling ok for a while and then bad again is a typical pattern for withdrawal, called windows and waves. 

Read about that herehttp://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-recovery/

Don't despair, this will get better. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thanks for your kind reaction!

I have been taking st. Johnswort since last august, 3 x 300 mg. daily. the cannabis-oil I take internally, 5 drops daily, 2 in the afternoon and 3 at night.

How much fish oil and magnesium do you advise, and in what form?

I am afraid my marriage wil break down if this goes on for to long, and that it is bad for my children, having a mum like this... I am not depressed all the time but can have extreme moodswings. Also a constant 'babbling' in my brain, just so hard to make my brain calm alwys so much worries and self-talk and NOISE in my head...

Taurine 3 x 500 mg.

Fishoil

Amino acids complex

Ashwaganda, 2 x 450 mg.

August 2014: stopped supplements, reinstated prozac, first 10 mg., now 15 mg. , for severe anxiety and panic and total insomnia.

• Moderator Emeritus

The depression in withdrawal is different because it is caused by an unstable nervous system.

Because of that, trying to treat it with anti depressants can make things worse. I took St Johns

wort years ago and found it helpful but when I was tapering and tried it I found that it made me

more agitated.  Don't just stop taking it yet though, you have been taking it for some time and

may need tapering because it is an anti depressant. I would rather Alto our administrator, advise

you with that.  Here is a topic for you to look at, it covers supplements and how to take them, and

which to avoid.  I'm not sure about the cannabis oil, I don't know anything about how it would be in

withdrawal, Alto will be able to tell you if that is causing any problems too. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/606-important-topics-about-tests-supplements-herbs-treatments/

Hang in there Eva, it will get better. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thanks for your answer. Do you think Alto will react to my post or would it be better if I sent him a personal message?

Taurine 3 x 500 mg.

Fishoil

Amino acids complex

Ashwaganda, 2 x 450 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

I have alerted Alto and she will reply to you when she is in. She is very busy but she will respond  :)

2002  effexor. 

Oops she is  she, sorry... Thanks for alerting her, I'll wait for her reply before doing anything about the st. johnswort. Thanks for your help!

Taurine 3 x 500 mg.

Fishoil

Amino acids complex

Ashwaganda, 2 x 450 mg.

• Administrator

Welcome, eva.

I agree with mammaP and Karma, it could very well be that the St. John's Wort is making your symptoms worse. It is a noradrenergic -- it can cause anxiety and sleeplessness. It does require tapering. What you might do is reduce by 1/4 of a tablet per week.

Also, St. John's Wort may interact with some foods and cause agitation and sleeplessness. It is an MAO inhibitor (MAOI). See http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depression/expert-answers/maois/faq-20058035

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello Altostrata,

Are there any other things (herbs or supplements) that might help me? I am not on SSRI's now, haven't been for 10 months. What about b12?

And does the st. johnswort has to be tapered so slowly? I don't think i can divide the capsules like that...

I so much need something to help me deal with these moodswings... I cannot keep putting my family through this and that;s why i start thinking about getting back on a low dose of prozac.

Please, any further advice will be so welcome...

Also, what do you think about the cannabis-oil I am taking...could that make my symptoms worse?

Anyway, bedtime noe over here in eurpoe, so goodnight for now!

Taurine 3 x 500 mg.

Fishoil

Amino acids complex

Ashwaganda, 2 x 450 mg.

• Administrator

Many people do well with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

See other suggestions in our Symptoms and Self-care forum.

My guess is the St. John's Wort is causing your symptoms somehow. We recommend a gradual taper to avoid withdrawal symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi eva and welcome,

I had a bad reaction to St Johns Wort when I was in withdrawal from antidepressants, it contributed to me becoming quite ill, which is what I'm recovering from now.  How were you feeling before you started taking the St Johns Wort?

When you stopped taking prozac last year, how did you come off it?  

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hello everybody,

My name is Eva, I am 47 years old, and a mother of three boys, aged 7, 13 and 14. When i was 24, my psychiatrist put me on prozac, that seemed to be the new wonderdrug. it helped me, made me less shy, and less depressed. in the course of the years i have tried to quit quite a few times but every time i fell into a depressed and extremely irritated state that was worse then i had ever experienced before i started taking prozac.

Now, i have been off prozac for almost a year, and right now i am feeling so low that i've started thinking about taking prozac again. but i really don't want to. i have good days, but too many bad days, with depression, irratability and anxiety. The anxiety is new, i used not to be anxious.

I hope to find some support here, and advice. i really don't want to be back on prozac, but i also want to have a life, and be a good and not always depressed mother to my sons, and also  the relatioship with my husband is very difficult right now because i am in such a lousy mood much of the time.

I tried lots of herbs and supplements, right now i use st. johnswort, fishoil, a super-multivitamin, magnesium, low dose naltrexone, and cannabis-oil for an irritated/inflamed very painful nerve in my shoulder.

Is it possible that after 10 months i am still in some sort of withdrawal? And what can i do to feel better? I am getting kinda desperate.

Kind regards from the netherlands, Eva

Welcome Eva,  the way you are feeling sounds like many of us on this site.  I agree with others that I think the St. Johns is probably not helping and if you can slowly get off you will feel slighty better. Some people say that more supplements can make things worse, I found this to be true for me.  A healthy diet and exercise seems to help most of us and some supplements, but not to over due them.  I know it is hard when you are a mom and have a family relying on you.  I know my husband does not have a clue what I am going through.  I try to talk to him and let him know how I am doing day to day and he at least tries to be concerned.  Do you have friends or family you can talk with or that can help you out on the bad days?  Finding this website will help with many things, so use it as much as you can for support and information. 

Sept-1990 started my first AD Zoloft never got higher dose than 50mg

Dec-1990 Quit Zoloft  =Nov-1995 Back on Zoloft for Post-partum depression/anxiety

early-1998 Quit Prozac to get pregnant   =Feb-1999 Back on Prozac 20mg

10-1999 Prozac 30mg  =12-1999 Prozac 20mg

7-2001 switch to Wellbutrin SR 100mg

8-2001 increase Wellbutrin SR 150mg

10-2001 adding back Prozac 20mg

5-2003 tapered off Prozac  =7-2003 back on Prozac 20mg

8-2003 Add in Imipramine 25mg then to 50mg    (given Xanax for bad panic episodes

9-2003 Imipramine 75 mg then to 100mg

1-2004 switch to Lexapro 10mg

8-2004 Lexapro 20mg, Imipramine 75mg

4-2006 Adding Wellbutrin 150mg then to 200mg

7-2006 switch Lexapro to Celexa

12-2007Celexa 40mg Wellbutirin 150mg

9-2009 switch back to Lexapro 20mg, WellbutrinXL 150mg

2-2010 stop Lexapro start Celexa 40mg

11-2010 switch Celexa to Cymbalta 60mg

3-2011 Cymbalta 60mg switch to Effexor 37.5 to 75mg

10-2012 thru 12-2012 taper Effexor 75mg to 37.5 and off.

5-2013 start generic Prozac 10mg to 20mg, Trazadone 25mg  BEGIN THE TAPER(6-2013 Prozac 20mg to 10mg, Trazadone 25mg. 7-2013 liquid Prozac 7mg, Trazadone 25mg 8-2013 liquid Prozac 8mg, Trazadone 25mg9-2013 liquid Prozac 5mg, Trazadone 25mg10-31-2013 liquid Prozac 3.25mg, Trazadone 25mg=11-11-2013 liquid Prozac 3.0mg, Trazadone 25mg=12-4-2013 liquid Prozac 2.8mg, Trazadone 25mg=12-13-2013 liquid Prozac 2.5mg, Trazadone 25mg=1-5-2014 liquid Prozac 2.0mg, Trazadone 25mg=(CURRENT/06-01-2014 LAST dose liquid Prozac, Trazadone 25mg)((Aug. 13, 2014 reinstate .20mg of liquid Prozac for crippling anxiety, dread (still on same Trazadone...)supplements are probiotic, Vit. D3 and Fish Oil daily)Aug 19th reinstate 6.25mg Zoloft, Sept. 4th 25mg Zoloft.CURRENT(50mg Zoloft, 25mg Trazadone)

Thanks everybody. it helps to know that I am not the only one struggling, and that it is not relapse, but withdrawal.

I started tapering off the St. Johnswort and hope it will make me feel less jittery.

I do have friends and a sister i can talk to, though she is on Effexor and doesn't want to hear too many bad things about anti-depressants. My husband can't imagine how i feel but he tries to behelpful and supportive. Still, it can feel very lonely...

Taurine 3 x 500 mg.

Fishoil

Amino acids complex

Ashwaganda, 2 x 450 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

It's good you have friends and your sister to talk to and a supportive husband makes all the difference in the world.

I remember when I believed all the hype about anti depressants and wouldn't hear a word against them! 

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

It's good you have friends and your sister to talk to and a supportive husband makes all the difference in the world.

I remember when I believed all the hype about anti depressants and wouldn't hear a word against them! 

I know, right? me too. I used to defend them. In my defense, it sure seemed to me that whenever I would try to quit I would get depressed and suicidal, so it's no wonder I believed they were somehow helping me. 

I'm so grateful that I finally had the "aha" after 20 years and realized that the drugs were actually CAUSING the problem, not some "underlying disease."

I just shake my head when I remember how I used to defend them though.

Dr. Breggin addresses this when he talks about "medication spellbinding" aka intoxication anosognosia. We seem to think we're doing better on the drugs even when by objective measures we're not doing well at all. The drugs interfere with our ability to self-assess.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

I took st. johnswort for about half a year. now i tapered and quit 900 mg. of st, Johnswort inabout 4 weeks. And i feel terrible, depressed, can't sleep, desperate, sort of...

Could this be withdrawal? maybe i went too fast but i couldn't split the capsules and taper by 1/4  pill a week, so i tapered 1 pill a week. And if that's too fast, am I in withdrawal now, and what should i do? Start taking sjw again and buy pill that i can split, or just wait and hope this withdrawal will not last for too long?

Please advise!

Taurine 3 x 500 mg.

Fishoil

Amino acids complex

Ashwaganda, 2 x 450 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Eva, you sure can have WD from St. John's Wort.. I just searched.. put johns wort into the search box up top.... and pulled up this thread. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/652-st-johns-wort-hypericum-perforatum/?hl=%2Bjohns+%2Bwort

I think you probably can make a liquid suspension which is the way we taper drugs here. Others will be along to weigh in.. but you can start with the link above. Unfortunately, many think that if it's not a script, drugs cannot be such a big deal.. but sometimes OTC meds can give a go, especially when they have psychotropic properties.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

Since you've already got withdrawal symptoms, I would reinstate perhaps 500mg a day -- your nervous system might have adjusted somewhat to a lower dose -- stabilize for a month or two, and then taper.

You can probably get St. John's Wort in lower doses and cut up the tablets so you're tapering by small amounts, such as 25mg.

We have had people here who got St. John's Wort in liquid drops and tapered using the liquid.

General information about St. John's Wort here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/652-st-johns-wort-hypericum-perforatum/

Note: St. John's Wort is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI). If you are taking it, you may have odd reactions to a substance called tyramine in some foods. You may wish to go on a restricted diet for MAOIs http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depression/expert-answers/maois/faq-20058035

Please start a topic for yourself in the Introductions forum http://tinyurl.com/3o4k3j5

and let us know your progress.

Edited by Altostrata
updated

Thanks! Will reinsta 500 mg. and see what happens.

Altostrata, i allready have a topic in the Introductions forum,  called: 20 years prozac....

But will let you know how I am doing.

Taurine 3 x 500 mg.

Fishoil

Amino acids complex

Ashwaganda, 2 x 450 mg.

• Administrator

Please add to your topic. Thanks for letting us know about your experience going off St. John's Wort. A lot of people think that since it's "natural," they can be cavalier about taking it and going off it.

• Moderator Emeritus

I took St Johns wort drops for around 2 years, many years ago and quit C/T because I couldn't afford 

the drops after a cut in income. I  suffered  withdrawal which led to going on effexor. I didn't recognise it

as withdrawal and thought it was my depression that was back. 

I would definitely taper St Johns wort just like any other AD.

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Mamma P.  I had hubby on St. John's Wort (to keep him from going to a pdoc and getting the Kool Aid!) for a year, and I have him tapering 25% every 2 weeks.  We have done the first 25% with no apparent ill effects.  If anything, he may be feeling more pain than before - he's got a couple of persistent injuries (we think, getting MRI next week) that seem to bother him more now.  

I will discuss with him whether or not he wants to hold for another 2 weeks next week.

It's amazing how many "formulas" and even multivitamins sneak this herb in, making the need for diligence important.  :huh:

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Administrator

• 2 weeks later...

I did go back on the lower dose of St. Johnswort, but just for a short while. We went on a short holiday of a few days and i forgot to take it with me.. so I quit. That was about ten days ago. The last week i have been feeling quite good! I tapered the cannabis-oil too, now just take one drop at night. And it looks like I'm beginning to feel better!

I think stopping the St. Johnswort was really, thanks for the advice on that!

Taurine 3 x 500 mg.

Fishoil

Amino acids complex

Ashwaganda, 2 x 450 mg.

• Administrator

Thank you, eva. Good to hear you're feeling well.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a few good weeks but now everything seems be be gone again, the good feeling, the hope. I am almost a year off prozac now. Had a few good weeks/days but mostly it is very hard. Not so many 'weird' symptoms but depressed, so tired, often hit by viruses and bacteria (flu, stomach bugs etc.) and very difficult to motivate myself, to do things. I lost many of the things I did while still on prozac (hobbies) and can't be bothered with some of the friends I had when still on prozac. My world has become pretty small.

Before i quit prozac last year, i had tried many times, stopped for a few months, then starting again. Every time thinking the depression was back and i couldn't do without the medication. I didn't know then about protracted wtihdrawla. Now I know, and i thought it would make things much easier, because i` know i just have to hang in there and things will get better one day. But i am finding it increasingly dificult... loosing hope, it just doesn't feel like it is going to get better,and how do i know that this is withdrawal and that things will get better? How do you all cope with these feelings, if you have them? I don't want to go back on AD's but I don't want to be sad most of the time, my children are growing so fast and i feel like i am missing so much because i feel so low. I feel isolated and lonely and rather clueless.

I did not taper slow enough last year May. Would it help to reinstate a low dose of prozac, or is it to late?

Taurine 3 x 500 mg.

Fishoil

Amino acids complex

Ashwaganda, 2 x 450 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Eva, I merged your new post with your intro thread so that your update is following on. 

It is one thread per person in the introductions forum. 

What you are experiencing are windows and waves, I know it is probably no consolation 

but when you feel worst it is usually when your nervous system is healing. 

At a year after quitting it is possible that reinstating prozac will make things worse and is 

unlikely to be any help.   I know this is not what you want to hear and I really feel for you.

Are you still taking any supplements. or started any other medications at all, even simple 

over the counter remedies? 

I believe that it is a big help to know what is going on with your body, understanding that

helps us to cope with symptoms when we know they will pass, and they will pass.  

You will get more windows, and more waves before you are fully recovered, but you will

get there, we all will.  Here is the topic on windows and waves. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-recovery/

2002  effexor. 

Thanks for your reaction MamaP. If i could be sure it was my nervous system healing, i could bear it, i guess. It's the fear that it will NEVER get any better, that makes it so hard. But I guess I just have to try to not worry too much and wait for the next window to open.

I did not start any new supplements. But I do have to take Clioquinol now, because I had a lot of intestinal trouble and now a parasite has been found. But i only started the Clioquinol yesterday, and i felt really bad before that, so it can't be that.

It is just so disappointing that after a few good weeks it can just seem to crumble down and i feel totally empty handed and lost.

Taurine 3 x 500 mg.

Fishoil

Amino acids complex

Ashwaganda, 2 x 450 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

This is a wave Eva and as sure as night follows day there will be a window to follow.

I wish I could say when but I am 100% certain that it will come. Just hang in there.

Mamma hugs. 

2002  effexor. 

Hi Eva,

I am so sorry for what you are going thru. i understand. but you have found a great place to get really wonderful guidance and advice and support!

i know you got advice here about tapering off the St. John's Wort but you might want to ask also specifically about the amino acids and taurine and calcium.  i would be sure you indicate exactly how much you are taking.

i only say this because i have found that the less supplements i take, the better i feel. before i found this site i tried a million things and spend thousands of dollars doing so and i was just complicating things and overstimulating my already messed up nervous system so i was not able to get any balance and begin healing.

i know you will find more balance so that your system can continue to heal!

Best,

P in Bklyn

7 yrs Lexapro 10 mg. Mar/2011 - 1 month taper. Severe W/D. Multiple symptoms.Gallbladder and parathyroid surgery in Aug and Oct. Disability 3 months.  Dec/2011 reinstated 5mg Lex and went back to work. very bad shape.

By Aug/2012 - self tapered to 1.25 mg cutting pills. -very bad shape. Nov/2012  Dr. Hinz neuro-replete. up and down. Aug/2013 at aprox 1.0 mg Lex stopped neuro-replete ~Oct 2013 Found this site  ~ began using compounded Lexapro and have been micro tapering since then and holding as needed.

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

2/1/2018 - .135 mg  Now reducing 5-10% per month 

4/1/18 - .1 mg

4/17/18 - changed delivery from compounded individual caps to aliquot. went from .1 mg to .09 aliquot

7/4/2018 - .09 mg Holding due to wave of W/D symptoms

7/22/18 updosed to .1 mg aliquot

9/30/18 - reduced to .0975 aliquot

2/1/19 - updosed to .1 mg aliquot due to instability bad wave W/D

9/12/19 - back to .1 mg individual caps since could not get stable using aliquot

Thanks Pokeshaw and MamaP, for the kindness and support!

Pokeshaw, I  keep looking for the perfect supplement that will me me better... I tired many and spent alot of money on the supplements... When I read your post I think maybe I should stop trying endless supplements... They all sound so good and have positive reviews on iherb and then i want to try and see if they can help me too. I take the Taurine for heart palpitations, it seems to help for that.

But I will have a good look in my cupboard full of little NOW foods botlles, and see if there are a few I could stop taking. I am also taking some herbs to help my immune system... clould those be a problem too?

Taurine 3 x 500 mg.

Fishoil

Amino acids complex

Ashwaganda, 2 x 450 mg.

Hi Eva -  Yes, i understand - i tried many things too.  it was hard to know what was doing what.  i know there are people here who can advise if you list specifically everything you are taking daily.  someone will give you good suggestions.

Best,

P

7 yrs Lexapro 10 mg. Mar/2011 - 1 month taper. Severe W/D. Multiple symptoms.Gallbladder and parathyroid surgery in Aug and Oct. Disability 3 months.  Dec/2011 reinstated 5mg Lex and went back to work. very bad shape.

By Aug/2012 - self tapered to 1.25 mg cutting pills. -very bad shape. Nov/2012  Dr. Hinz neuro-replete. up and down. Aug/2013 at aprox 1.0 mg Lex stopped neuro-replete ~Oct 2013 Found this site  ~ began using compounded Lexapro and have been micro tapering since then and holding as needed.

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

2/1/2018 - .135 mg  Now reducing 5-10% per month 

4/1/18 - .1 mg

4/17/18 - changed delivery from compounded individual caps to aliquot. went from .1 mg to .09 aliquot

7/4/2018 - .09 mg Holding due to wave of W/D symptoms

7/22/18 updosed to .1 mg aliquot

9/30/18 - reduced to .0975 aliquot

2/1/19 - updosed to .1 mg aliquot due to instability bad wave W/D

9/12/19 - back to .1 mg individual caps since could not get stable using aliquot

• Administrator

Taurine can be good for palpitations, see the Symptoms and Self-care forum for the discussion.

But it's true, sometimes those supplements can be causing problems. Better to minimize them to just the ones you know are helping, and not go overboard. More is not better when our systems are sensitized.

Eva I can so relate to where you're coming from. I'm a mom of 2 very young children and have been fighting to find out what is happening to me. Except I'm still in meds and I feel horrible so I fear coming off will only make me feel worse. But one if my biggest concerns is how I feel I am missing out on my children's lives too. Especially since while my lexapro worked, I felt amazing love for them and my life. It's hard to let go of that.

-Lexapro (5 or 10mg, can't remember) 2 years age 17-19 for "light social anxiety" ended late 2006. No issues coming off.

- 2008 Effexor XR 75mg after health induced Panic Attack. 21yo. Upon first dose extreme adverse reaction (sadness, crying spells, extreme physical agitation/anxiety) did eventually stabilize. Stayed on 3 months then tapered off very fast but no issue WDing.

Lexapro 20mg 6/2009 - 2/2014 due to PPD and unsuccessful WD attempts.

-Sep. 2013 stable and still doing fine on Lexapro but lost insurance so Dr CT switch from Lex 20mg to Celexa 40mg (supposed equivalent) claiming it's the "same drug just cheaper". My body didn't like the switch almost instantly, and I felt acute WD from Lex within days of the switch. Was unaware it was WD and adverse affect from the switch. Gave it 2 weeks to settle and stabilize. By end of 2 weeks I was falling completely apart mentally and emotionally. Pharmacist said I could switch back to Lexapro 20mg safely. Again, "it's the same drug"

-Oct. 2.5 weeks after med switch, switched back to Lexapro 20mg thinking everything would go back to normal. Woke up next morning to instant cortisol overload anxiety, physical and mental agitation to extreme levels, could not think, feel, do anything normally. Akathisia. Knew it had to be some kind of adverse reaction to the switch, but had no idea what to do other than continue taking it and hoping to stabilize. Proceeded to experience the worst 3-4 weeks of my life before finally stabilizing slowly.

-Nov. despite stabilizing for the most part, could feel something wasn't right, was not returning to old self, had moments of emotional amnesia with things I love most. Life stressor occurred and I crashed. Total poop-out in a moment and instant panic and adverse effects, depression, anxiety, mental exhaustion, physical fatigue.

Saw a GP who told me Lex was struggling to handle stress in life, needed to augment with Seroquel 25mg. Energy began to return, but depression worsened, began having suicidal mood swings, feelings like life was unbearable.

-December found SA and began Seroquel taper after taking it for a month. Felt signs of relief after just few days.

-Jan. 15th 2014 took last seroquel and began Prozac bridge. Complete Feb. 25th. Felt a couple weeks of WD from Lex, but otherwise stabilized.

-April 9th began 10% Homemade liquid Prozac taper. 40mg down to 36mg.

-Aug. 5th now down to 27.5mg. Feeling better than I did at 40mg.

In all honesty, I'm with you right now in the discouragement department...and I still have long to go before I'll even be off...it will be past my oldest daughter finishing school :(. Parenting in this is really hard and sad, I have not heard any really helpful solutions to that dilemma, but many mothers share your concerns.

Regarding your parasites and immune problems, I wonder if probiotics might be helpful. Those are helpful bacteria for your gut. They can be capsules or high quality yogurt. Best!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Moderator Emeritus

Those feelings and thoughts of "it will never get better" are actually part of the withdrawal symptoms. Since I'm tapering I get to go through bouts of withdrawal interspersed with bouts of being better and more stable, and every time, sure as sunrise, I get those hopeless thoughts and feelings and I can't remember ever feeling better and I wonder if this time it's going to be like this forever.  But then, sure as sunrise also, it passes, and I feel better, and then I'm like OH yeah that's right, it gets better.

I've been at this for a while now, seen a whole lot of folks go through withdrawal, and everyone gets better eventually.  In all but the most rare of cases they get almost completely well, or completely well. One year, unfortunately, is still early days after a CT or too-fast taper, though. It seems like most folks notice a real improvement somewhere around 18 months to two years, in that range. 

Hang in there. You're going to be fine. This wave will pass, and there will be windows, and probably more waves and windows for a while, and eventually it will all settle down and you'll be fine.

I do agree about the supplements--best to keep those to a minimum during withdrawal, they can actually aggravate things. Just make sure you're eating a nutritious diet. Take care of yourself, keep stress to a minimum, do slow gentle walks daily if possible or as often as possible,a and get exposure to sunshine whenever you can, as well as happy nonstressful social times. Hugs are good. These things will support your healing. 

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.