SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Neuromuscular symptoms: muscle tics, twitches, fasciculations, spasms, cramps, restless legs

Hopeful

See also:

Non-drug techniques for dealing with physical pain

Non-drug treatments for restless legs

Acupuncture - Posts #6 & #8 (not detox or stimulation)

This article was taken from the blog:

http://willspirit.com/

Body Armor (May 27, 2011)

My apologies, everyone. This post is far afield from my usual topics. It was written for my acupuncture website. The piece discusses muscle tension, the most common problem I see in my practice. As we all know, muscle tension often results from (and contributes to) emotional stress.... One of the greatest failings of Western Psychiatry is its treatment of the mind in isolation, divorced from both body and soul. By bringing bodily symptoms into the mix, and especially when we encourage the soul’s development, we approach truly holistic mental health care....

Muscle tension affects most of us. For some, it’s an occasional problem. For others, the pain and stiffness of tight, sore muscles cause discomfort almost every day unless preventive measures are taken. A later article will review stretching exercises to help reduce tension, but this one will discuss how acupuncture helps reduce muscle soreness and spasm.

....Having spent many years learning Western biomedicine, I find understanding muscle tension scientifically quite easy and comfortable. My more recent education in Chinese medicine has challenged me to expand beyond the limited, material perspectives of my conventional training. But both views are useful and valuable in patient care.

In Western terms, tight muscles get locked into vicious cycles. Emotional stress, poor posture, repetitive activities, and trauma prompt the nervous system to stimulate muscle contraction. At an early stage, conscious attention to reducing these tensing signals may be enough to relax tight muscles.

However, if tension persists, the muscle enters a state of spasm. High tissue pressure within tight muscle bands restricts capillary blood flow. With compromised circulation, a muscle’s oxygen supply gets depleted, so its cells cannot maintain proper ion balance. Calcium accumulates in the muscle fibers, and stimulates worsening contraction and spasm.

A vicious cycle occurs when spasm further increases tissue pressure, which worsens the circulatory compromise. Oxygen becomes even more depleted, more calcium accumulates, and the muscle grows ever tighter. Contracted muscle bands become self-perpetuating as a result. The affected areas no longer relax, even if neural stimuli for contraction cease.

At the same time, the pain of tight muscles causes reflex neural commands to increase tension, which is the body’s way of guarding damaged areas. And although the muscles no longer relax in the absence of nerve stimuli, the spasms worsen in their presence. A second vicious cycle gets established, whereby tension leads to pain, which causes more tension.

In the Western view, acupuncture creates tiny lesions in muscles, which stimulate blood flow. The improved capillary blood supply brings in oxygen and removes waste, so proper calcium distribution gets restored. The muscle regains its ability to relax.

At the same time, acupuncture reduces the cycle of tension-pain-tension. One of the best-documented effects of needling is the reduction of pain signals. With less pain, there is less reflexive stimulation of contraction. The muscle releases...

You can finish reading this artice at: http://willspirit.com/

Edited by ChessieCat
added links - see also

Began Paxil 10/97*

Paxil free 10/16/04 (tapered over 2.5 months)

Severe withdrawal

12/04 started Lexapro due to Paxil w/d symptoms (tapered over 4 months)

Lexapro free 8/2/05

2 1/2 year severe protracted withdrawal

Doing well now with a few residual symptoms

This article was taken from the blog:

http://willspirit.com/

Body Armor (May 27, 2011)

However, if tension persists, the muscle enters a state of spasm. High tissue pressure within tight muscle bands restricts capillary blood flow. With compromised circulation, a muscle’s oxygen supply gets depleted, so its cells cannot maintain proper ion balance. Calcium accumulates in the muscle fibers, and stimulates worsening contraction and spasm.

A vicious cycle occurs when spasm further increases tissue pressure, which worsens the circulatory compromise. Oxygen becomes even more depleted, more calcium accumulates, and the muscle grows ever tighter. Contracted muscle bands become self-perpetuating as a result. The affected areas no longer relax, even if neural stimuli for contraction cease.

I recently started taking a calcium/magnesium/D3 liquid (the dose calls for 2 tablespoons and I'm only taking 1 teaspoon per day) I haven't been able to tolerate a D vitamin, but this so far hasn't bothered me. I wonder if this is not a good idea after reading the above article regarding the calcium and muscle tension...muscle tension is one of my residuals.

Began Paxil 10/97*

Severe withdrawal

Lexapro free 8/2/05

• Administrator

Hopeful, have you been feeling better or worse since taking the supplement?

I believe the muscle tension depends on a balance involving calcium and magnesium. If you're low in calcium, this can also cause aches and pains. It's individual, a calcium supplement might help one person and not another.

Also, moving around helps remove the accumulated calcium from muscles. As the article says, it's partially a circulation problem.

I've had acupuncture for aches, pains, and muscle tension and found it very helpful.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Is accupuncture safe in early wd??

as this is something i suffer with too, mainly left shoulder

and arm,and lower back pain, im a bit scared to take anything that

may ramp up wd symptoms this early on, a sin suppliments etc, after my

awful experience with magnesium citrate.

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

Angie,

I had acupuncture for the first time at about the 1 1/2 year mark and then again recently. Hopefully someone that had it earlier in w/d will chime in and let you know.

Began Paxil 10/97*

Severe withdrawal

Lexapro free 8/2/05

Very interesting essay, Hopeful. Makes me want to run out and get some acupuncture – I have all the characteristics of a Liverish personality!

Yeah, the issue of calcium and muscles must be complicated, because calcium is also recommended for muscle cramps. Why not give it a try. See how you feel.

Angie -- I think it's fine to try acupuncture in early w/d, but the key thing is to tell the practitioner that s/he must not do *anything* stimulating. Nothing. Even if it's something that s/he usually does that leads to calming.

I had acupuncture during the taper and early post-taper. I don't think it did much for me. I don't think the practitioner and I understood what was needed. But it certainly didn't hurt, and I felt maybe more relaxed after some of the sessions, temporarily.

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

– I have all the characteristics of a Liverish personality!

Unfortunately, so do I :(

Began Paxil 10/97*

Severe withdrawal

Lexapro free 8/2/05

It's alright, Hopeful. We just need to find the right canvas for our gifts. Then, irritable frustration and muscle tension :angry: will turn into a blazing passion! :excl:*:excl:*:excl:

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

It's alright, Hopeful. We just need to find the right canvas for our gifts. Then, irritable frustration and muscle tension :angry: will turn into a blazing passion! :excl:*:excl:*:excl:

Great positive way to look at it H, thanks! :D

Began Paxil 10/97*

Severe withdrawal

Lexapro free 8/2/05

• 1 year later...

Vaseadude,

I'm not an expert in this area and struggling to figure out my own situation. However, i believe that, in most cases, it's best to allow the body to naturally find its new normal thru a slow taper. Adding any new substances risks further imbalance to the entire system, similar to adding new psychotropics to offset the effects of the previous drug or of withdrawal. We don't know if the changes caused by drugs are permanent or temporary adaptations that will reverse.

There are some suggestions in Symptoms about lowering cortisol. I believe it's well established that SSRIs effect cortisol production although I'm not certain of the mechanism. Cortisol (related to adrenaline) is a POWERFUL hormone.

I do take estrogen and thyroid drugs for conditions that were present many years ago.

This is just my opinion as of today. Subject to change with more information ;)

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Got it! Thanx! :)

2008 - started taking Risperidone.

In 2014 tried to taper it, taperred it to 1mg during several months then abruptly stopped, ended up in the hospital. 

2014-2015  -  been off meds 3 times, all 3 times ended in the hospital and was put back on them.

13 Jun 2016 - went  from 2 mg Risperidone to 1.5mg

• 4 months later...

About three weeks after I tapered Mirtazapine from 15 to 7.5; I woke up one morning with my neck/shoulder in such a severe cramp I could not move. I had to have assistance for about 48 hours. at the time I attributed it to just completing 2 weeks of a yoga teacher training in the mountains without drinking enough water.

about 7 weeks ago I my hip cramped while lifting a heavy weight in the wrong manner. I was in bed for a week, could not move at all for about 2 days. attributed it to pulling weeds incorrectly while angry, but in fact I had dropped my Mirt dose from 7.5 to 3.75 and back to 7.5 for 1 day a few weeks previously.

I dropped my Mirt dose from 7.5 to 3.75 about 2 weeks ago. yesterday while moving a railroad tie my hip cramped up again and was flat all day and so far today as well.

I looked up MIrt WD on Internet again this morning and found a few mentions of "back pain, joint pain, muscle pain".

Since I am a dancer I have had various problems my whole life, but nothing like these 3 episodes, ever, since I have been on Mirt. Normally I am extremely flexible and strong and can do lots of things my close in age sister, for example, can't. Anyway, I would love to hear from other people on this topic.

Thanks, JM

6/96. 20mg. Paxil. 1 day.

2/02 to 6/09 Prozac 20-30 m & birth control

Spr07 to 6/09 Ativan or Xanax during menstruation.

June 2009: stopped bc pill. Last menstrual period.

2010-11: tapered off Prozac 30m- 5mg at a time to 5 to none.

April-May- 2011: Prozac 6 weeks. Celexa 3 days. Lexipro 3 days.

6/11 to 9/11: Ativan or Xanax daily.

9/15/11: wd Ativan quick taper.

10/11. +Lamictal

12/11. +Seroquel

12/21/11: start Mirtazapine. 15-30-45-30.

2/29/12.. stop Mirt. start Wellbutrin. stop WB, + Mirt.

June 2012; Mirt at 7.5 m.

4/02/13. Mirt down to 3.75. withdrawal symptoms. still on Lamictal & Seroquel.

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know how much is age and how much is something else, but right from the beginning of my withdrawal process I've noticed changes in my connective tissue and a definite increase in how sore my muscles get when I overwork (or even just work) them. And I seem to get injuries more easily, and they take longer to heal.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

When I was tapering Lexapro I used to get that. The best remedy for me was to lie down with a comforter and let the heat from the blanket draw the pain from my legs - ankles - and feet.

Worked like a charm....

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

I experience muscle soreness & cramping when tapering my AD. I use a myofacial release roller to relieve / release the muscles that are tensing up. There are you tube vids that explain how to do this.

In addition to that I use heat , drink LOTS of water and make sure that I keep my muscles, especially the long muscles, stretched by using the roller & heat . Easy does it.

I would think prevention is worth an ounce cure here. You may not be able to avoid the increase in tension but you can alleviate it safely. It does go away with the cycles of taper.

RU

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

• 5 months later...

I,am now 3 months of and having bad nerve and muscle pain,

Also my knees hurt bad from time to time....

The nerve pain, stinging feeling is mostly in my lower legs,

The muscle pain in upper legs.

Sometime,s i also have this tingeling feeling in my face, chin area...

Is there some one else with these symptoms?

X

Dec 2012 started citalopram 20 mg , could,t handle it, went back to 10mg.

One week later 10 mg in the morning ,10 mg in the evening.

8 weeks later 20 mg at once, spend 2 days sleeping( sensitieve ?)

Oxazepam jan- april 2013 40 mg a day, became so ill, taperd 40- 0 in 5 weeks, jumped at 5 mg.

18 juli taperd citalopram in 5 weeks 20-0 , jumped at 5 mg......

Today still suffering, want it to end!

I already take magnesium 800 mg before bed, and vit C 3000 .

Dec 2012 started citalopram 20 mg , could,t handle it, went back to 10mg.

One week later 10 mg in the morning ,10 mg in the evening.

8 weeks later 20 mg at once, spend 2 days sleeping( sensitieve ?)

Oxazepam jan- april 2013 40 mg a day, became so ill, taperd 40- 0 in 5 weeks, jumped at 5 mg.

18 juli taperd citalopram in 5 weeks 20-0 , jumped at 5 mg......

Today still suffering, want it to end!

Greetings

Sorry to hear of your muscle & nerve pain. I have it very much. I don't know if it's directly caused by the psyche meds or a ruptured silicone implant, but this week for instance, I've been unable to go out & have instead lay out chronically exhausted & in pain all over, feeling like I'm 120 years old.

I have pain killers but they bite back somehow. As a Dutch citizen, you could try Bedrocan or something like that, but you'd need to decide if it's right for you. The reason I say this is because I've used something similar & it was verging on miraculous in treating all my aches & pains of body, heart & mind. Ingesting was the most effective mode of administration, but you have to know what you're doing, plus some are put off by the reputation that goes before it.

I also tried Kava Kava root only, but again you'd need to be carefull & reserach it beforehand. KonaKavaFarm in Hawaii was where I got mine from but since Fukushima, I'm not sure it's safe to import from that region. Check any other types of medication you might be taking. Ive noticed tylenol forte or co-codamol 30/500 seems to give me bad nerve pain in my lower legs...like a nerve is being stuck with a hot needle...indescribable tbh...hope this helps

Best ones

Temperance

UK

AboutClay Brochure.pdf

I already take magnesium 800 mg before bed, and vit C 3000 .

Have you tried clay as a detox? http://www.aboutclay.com I noticed a difference in brain fog within 6 hours after my first dose of edible Zeolite clay which is also good for treating radioation exposure which is happeing to all of us from Fukushima. Bentonite clay & iodine too. http://www.fukushimafacts.com see also http://www.greenclays.com/ & for Euorpe http://www.zeolith-bentonit-versand.de/en/?___from_store=de Bicarbonate of soda is very good de-tox, also safe replacement of mercury fillings by advance dentist, filtering your water, & using non-fluoride toothpaste will ease the burden of toxicity. http://drsircus.com/

• 1 month later...

You are not alone. I have had burning and tingling intermittently since starting Zoloft August 16, 2013, and ever since being off, September 23rd, 2013.. THANKFULLY, it has been getting waaay better with how often they are happening, and has gone down hugely in intensity. When I first started, I had prickly heat all over my body, burning face, hands, feet, arms, legs, back, and mouth, rapid heart rate, weight loss, lack of appetite, insomnia, over the top Anxiety, muscle twitches, and my right arm and leg felt like I had a sock on them ( which has almost gone completely away). Now I have my finger tips amd toes burn occasionally, my tongue in two spots you can see turn red, my cheeks.. but mild and maybe once a day or twice at the most. My Primary has referred me to a Neurologist to make sure we haven't over seen anything, and they just checked me for Lupus yesterday. I know it isn't Lupus or an Auto Immune Disorder, but just residual nerve Irritation.. We will see... I have been logging every symptom for weeks, since the beginning, and I have been amazed at how much has decreased over these weeks. I have had my blood work checked three times over these months, and ALL vitamins and mineral levels are fine, as well as kidney, liver, wbc, rbc, ect ALL in normal levels.. I am vitamin D deficient, and take Vitamin D/C daily as well as  a Multivitamin and Omegas daily.. One day at a Time.. We will get through this.. Happy Thanksgiving!! :-)  

One of the symptoms that persists for me is a really particular kind of back pain... it's like extreme muscle tension, mostly around my sacrum, but weird. As if there were something corrosive inside of me. Since I have other sorts of back trouble, it took me a while to realize this was tied to when I have spells of not being well... now that most of my symptoms are very diminished, it sticks out like a sore thumb!

Anyway, I've found stretching helps a lot, and massaging with magnesium oil, and taking a Chi Kung class most of all. We imagine taking in universal energy from the earth and sky as a golden light and washing ourselves with it. You raise your arms as if collecting the energy and then pour it over you and imagine all the stagnant energy in you washing away and getting recycled. For some reason that really helps me! I think positive visualization can really help activate your mind and body to heal themselves.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• 6 months later...

Hi, 

I would like to specifically ask about muscle and joint pain as part of discontinuation.  Did you get it and how long did it last?  Also, did it interfere with your ability to exercise and function?  Pain is around my trunk and low back, pelvic bones and my right leg muscles feel like they are locked up.  Any attempt to exercise causes severe pain.

I have it bad and I developed it while on the meds and it was the reason for coming off SSRI/SNRIs.

Thanks

2013 Jan-Mar (12 weeks) Cymbalta 60mg (way too activating)2013 Apr-May (8 weeks) Pristiq 50mg (partial response)2013 Jun-Aug (12 weeks) Lexapro (can't remember dose); caused muscle and joint painSep 13 to Jan 14 (20 weeks) Back to Prsitiq, muscle pain subsides but drug not working2014 Feb - Mar (8 weeks) Celexa 10mg (not even therapeutic dose), killed all depression and anxiety within 1 week but severe pain started within 5 days in back and lower extremities.2014 April (4 weeks) Effexor, worked like Celexa seamless transition, pain continuesThere was some Gabapentin, Buspar, Propranalol tossed there from time to time as well that did nothing.<p>Switched to Cymbalta 30mg on April 17. Dr directed stop on May 7th. I went down to 15mg within a week and felt OK, then to 10mg for 5 days and stopped.

Current Meds: 5-10mg Ambien, 1.5MG Xanax XR in 3 divided doses of .5MG each.  25mg Seroquel as a rescue drug for sleep.

Supplements:  Fish Oil, combination of Theratears Nutrition (designed for dry eye and is recommend by my ophthalmologist) and Arctic Pure.  Total EPA and DHA are 1540mg spilt between AM and PM.  NutNCology Magnesium Citrate, 170mg in the evening.  Twinlabs B-12 sublingual Dots, 500mcg (AM).

• Moderator Emeritus

Interesting question...

For me it's difficult to know what's withdrawal and what's aging. I've had more pain & injuries during this withdrawal than I ever have. I haven't added to or intensified my exercise. It doesn't feel like muscle pain, it's tendon, ligament, and now cartilage (meniscus?)stuff. Never the same place and just since last August or so, when I started tapering. But again, maybe it's age and a coincidence. I am intrigued though and am going to look into it some.

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

lately i've been getting odd pains in areas lasting sometimes for only 10 mins to a few hours and other pains lasting a few days. spots include hip bone, side jaw, elbow, inside elbow, shoulder, knee, etc. it frequently happens when I'm sleeping which wakes me up.  hard to tell if its from dehydration, exercise, age, or withdrawal.

on 37.5 - 50mg zoloft/sertraline for GAD from 3/1996 to 4/2013 (17 years) 

too fast taper from 1/13-4/13

• Moderator Emeritus

So far, just doing a preliminary google search, I'm finding several places where joint and muscle pain, and muscle weakness are listed as symptoms of SSRI discontinuation, as well as just SSRI use. But the websites, like livestrong.com, don't cite any references. While the legitimacy or source of their information might be questionable, just the fact that there is mention of it is kind of interesting to me.

I'd never thought to look up anything on this topic despite the ongoing injury-like pain. Actually, they pain may indeed be injury related, which makes me wonder if perhaps there's a connection to injury proneness. Truth be told, I hope it's the Prozac withdrawal and not age... maybe I'm just looking for away to deny the aging process by blaming Prozac :).

Here's the livestrong article talking about Prozac withdrawal if you're interested. There's nothing particularly great about the article, but I guess it's a good thing that something as commercially driven and mainstream is acknowledging and mentioning SSRI withdrawal.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/29521-prozac-withdrawal-symptoms/

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

Somehow I think it may have a connection to cortisol, but I don't have any documentation on that. Mine developed while on Prozac for years, was gone while poly drugging, but back now. I was diagnosed at one time with fibromyalgia.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

I went to a sports medicine doctor for my back problems, and when some of my issues did not resolve after 10 sessions of physical therapy (excercises, ultrasound, electrical stimulation, massage), he said I have myofascial pain syndrome. I never said a word about my withdrawal, but he said he could tell I was an anxious person, and anxiety and depression can exacerbate pain. He said this was due to lower serotonin, which increases pain. I mention it for what it's worth.

In my case I think a lot of it has to do with continuous muscle tension from prolonged withdrawal.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• 4 weeks later...

Biggest issue I'm having since coming off ADs is pain around my mid-section/trunk area and muscles that get sore at the slightest exertion.  I don't find "muscle pain" as a listed side effect on any of the medical websites that discuss SSRI or AD discontinuation and withdrawal.  Symptoms listed are wide ranging and do include parasthesia and akasthesia but that is not what I'm having.  It's just unrelenting chronic muscle pain…not numbness, tingling, burning, or movement issues.  I am now having chest pain too.  I'm not overweight and otherwise pretty healthy despite the hell I am experiencing mentally.

My primary care Dr has a referral in for me to get checked out for this.

I am beginning to think it is either neurotoxicity from all the meds I was on or it could be associated with the high level of anxiety I am experiencing.  But, wanted to see if anyone suffered/suffers from muscle pain as a discontinuation symptom.  

2013 Jan-Mar (12 weeks) Cymbalta 60mg (way too activating)2013 Apr-May (8 weeks) Pristiq 50mg (partial response)2013 Jun-Aug (12 weeks) Lexapro (can't remember dose); caused muscle and joint painSep 13 to Jan 14 (20 weeks) Back to Prsitiq, muscle pain subsides but drug not working2014 Feb - Mar (8 weeks) Celexa 10mg (not even therapeutic dose), killed all depression and anxiety within 1 week but severe pain started within 5 days in back and lower extremities.2014 April (4 weeks) Effexor, worked like Celexa seamless transition, pain continuesThere was some Gabapentin, Buspar, Propranalol tossed there from time to time as well that did nothing.<p>Switched to Cymbalta 30mg on April 17. Dr directed stop on May 7th. I went down to 15mg within a week and felt OK, then to 10mg for 5 days and stopped.

Current Meds: 5-10mg Ambien, 1.5MG Xanax XR in 3 divided doses of .5MG each.  25mg Seroquel as a rescue drug for sleep.

Supplements:  Fish Oil, combination of Theratears Nutrition (designed for dry eye and is recommend by my ophthalmologist) and Arctic Pure.  Total EPA and DHA are 1540mg spilt between AM and PM.  NutNCology Magnesium Citrate, 170mg in the evening.  Twinlabs B-12 sublingual Dots, 500mcg (AM).

• Moderator Emeritus

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen has flu-like aches and pains listed in his withdrawal checklist here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2390-dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist/

Also, if you read through enough introduction threads you will find that lots of people experience the kind of muscle pain you describe. Here is a thread discussing muscle tension:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/418-muscle-tension/

Its good that you are getting it checked out, but it may be happening as a result of the increased anxiety of withdrawal.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree, best to get it checked out. I think it's a good idea to get a thorough medical checkup if you're wondering if something is withdrawal or not. Best to know for sure.

Pain (or rather what I think of as a lower pain threshold) is definitely one of my withdrawal symptoms (although I'm reducing other meds besides just SSRI). And "flu-like aches and pains" is I think very commonly listed as an SSRI withdrawal symptom. We certainly hear it complained of here. Not sure if that's what you're experiencing or not.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

BeatAnxiety, have you tried acupuncture for this pain?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

Hi BeatAnxiety.

I actually just posted this question myself. I have a chronic back injury that for years was only bothersome. Since I've been doing my med tapers, it's become almost debilitating. Again, I have an existing injury there, but the pain I am feeling is above and beyond what I've previously dealt with. I had shingles once, and it feels a lot like that.

5/12/2014

250 mg Seroquel

200 mg Lamictal

37.5 mg Trazodone

9/23/2013:
200 mg Seroquel (down from 800 mg 3/15/2013, down from 150XR in the am, 800 mg in the pm)
200 mg Lamictal
150 Trazodone
2 mg Perphenazine
.5 mg Cogentin (for side effects of Seroquel)

• Administrator

I had tingling pain in my arms, hands, and back from withdrawal for about 1.5 years. It finally went away with acupuncture.

Many, many people here have had pain of various kinds as a withdrawal symptom.

In the withdrawal literature (see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/325-papers-on-diagnosis-of-antidepressant-withdrawal-syndrome/), you will find this kind of pain under "paresthesia" or "myalgia." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myalgia

Myalgia, or muscle pain, is a symptom of many diseases and disorders. The most common causes are the overuse or over-stretching of a muscle or group of muscles.

Withdrawal syndrome from certain drugs

Sudden cessation of high-dose corticosteroids, opioids, barbiturates, benzodiazepines, caffeine or alcohol can induce myalgia in many respects.

Have you tried magnesium glycinate? That can help muscle pain.

It is possible your pain is due to something else. If it started while you were taking a psychiatric drug, it could be a lingering adverse effect of the drug. If it started after discontinuation, that's an indicator it's a withdrawal symptom.

Even if it's fibromyalgia, another poorly understood syndrome, you can recover from it.

• Moderator Emeritus

Ah Adah, you found this place.  I came to check to see if others have it.

Now I remember the "flu-like" thing,  But that's not like it is for me.  It's more that old aches and pains have deepened or that I haven't felt them while on full doses of psych meds, and now they are back (or increasing as I age) with a bite.

It's not debilitating like Adah, but I find I'm spending more time in pain than not.

And of course, Alto!  The magnesium is always the best.  I use my gel all the time, take soaks, and take a supplement, too.  I couldn't survive without them!  (maybe then I would be debilitated!)

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

I had tingling pain in my arms, hands, and back from withdrawal for about 1.5 years. It finally went away with acupuncture.

Many, many people here have had pain of various kinds as a withdrawal symptom.

In the withdrawal literature (see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/325-papers-on-diagnosis-of-antidepressant-withdrawal-syndrome/), you will find this kind of pain under "paresthesia" or "myalgia." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myalgia

Myalgia, or muscle pain, is a symptom of many diseases and disorders. The most common causes are the overuse or over-stretching of a muscle or group of muscles.

Withdrawal syndrome from certain drugs

Sudden cessation of high-dose corticosteroids, opioids, barbiturates, benzodiazepines, caffeine or alcohol can induce myalgia in many respects.

Have you tried magnesium glycinate? That can help muscle pain.

It is possible your pain is due to something else. If it started while you were taking a psychiatric drug, it could be a lingering adverse effect of the drug. If it started after discontinuation, that's an indicator it's a withdrawal symptom.

Even if it's fibromyalgia, another poorly understood syndrome, you can recover from it.

Neither of these worked for me... I tried both. 

I was diagnosed with fibro... after prozac treatment was more antidepressants. 

I eventually quit them all... 

have posts under chronic fatigue fibro... as in drug induced mitochondria dysfunction after I found a link between firbo and mito damage... seemed to be full circle to me. 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

• Administrator

Well, btdt, everyone is different, that's understood, no need to post this didn't apply to you.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy