SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

lexapronomo: Lexapro to Prozac

lexapronomo

Thirteen years ago I was put on lexapro. I was drinking and doing drugs, young and very unhappy.  The idea of being on an antidepressant was exhilarating because I had been unhappy for a long time and wanted to feel better, I just didn't want to stop pounding booze and taking hard drugs.  

I stayed on lexapro for a long time, I have been on Prozac, welbutrin, and a couple others.  I can't remember all the names of them anymore.  There was a time when I prided myself on all of the different drugs I had tried.  I was proud of how broken I was.  

Six years ago I got clean.  I drove my truck into a house after drinking a couple bottles of wine and a handful of valium and went to jail.  I went to rehab and was dialed back from 20 mg to 10.  

I have felt a need to come off completely for a long time.  I hadn't cried since I was put on Lexapro (not normal), haven't really felt deeply or  passionately about anything.  I mean I have passion but everything feels muted.  It may block some of the bad, whatever that means, but it also blocks the good.  I felt an instinctive pull to come off.  I tried cold turkey and freaked out.  I was not anticipating the withdrawls to be so bad.  I felt trapped.  Like if I did come off there were consequences, not good ones.  Like there was a wall I could never climb.  So i settled.  I just kept taking it.  

I should say that my faith in God is strong, I attend church regularly and that is all that has ever really worked for me.  This was not always the case, though.  I started looking for God and He found me first.

Then I started popping my pills in half.  I took 5 mg for two weeks, and it was a little tough, but nothing at all as bad as some of the stuff i read on the internet.  I talked to friends about what was going on with me and prayed.  a lot.  at the end of the two weeks I started taking 2.5 mg.  Again with the weirdness.  I talked about it, went to church, prayed and worked out.  Then one day, two weeks after stepping down I just quit taking that little white pill.  I feel fantastic.  Tapering down was the key for me.  I wasn't afraid to extend the period of time taking it if I needed to, but didn't find the need.  It was so much easier than some people on the internet made it out to be.  I read one guy post that two years later he still didn't feel normal.  That terrified me.  Two years?!  Really?  That is not my story at all.  Two days after I stopped I felt like I had woken up from a dream.  The light looked different, I almost cried watching a movie and I feel fantastic.  

Some things I feel helped me:

Church: Look, I get it.  I wasn't always open to the idea of talking about any kind of God but finding a personal relationship with my God is what changed me, what made this possible.  I never would have tried to come off if I didn't feel like God would take care of me.  I am always open for discussion about spirituality.  I'm not pushy, just eager to help and available to do so.

Exercise: You gotta get exercise.  Your body will feel better and you will feel better.  Take care of yourself man, a little white pill can't do that.  I was terrified to go into a gym at first, felt like a total poser.  You get used to it quick.  Do a little reading about how to work the equipment and do it.  Being new in the gym is awkward.  But that's cool.  You can also just run or walk.  No gym required. 

Tapering:  Just make a plan.  Two weeks at this level and then step down.  Two weeks at that level and step down.  If you feel like you need an extra week, take it.  Taking less is progress!

The only reason I am posting this is because I came here to read about what it was like to come off and came away terrified.  I wanted to put some hope on here.  Coming off Lexapro made for a weird month.  But then it got better!  SO MUCH BETTER!  There is hope man, believe me.  I am so happy and am available for anyone who is freaked out.  

I don't take Lexapro and I am so good.  You can come off too.  I love you guys.  Peace.

2002-2008 Lexapro 20 mg

2008- June 2016 Lexapro 10 mg

Jan-mar 2016 Welbutrin (cant remember dose, maybe 300)-did nothing, tapered off.

6-01-16-8-01-16 Viibryd(ugh)

For two months I was on Lexapro and Viibryd.  

8-1, bridged from lexapro to prozac

• Administrator

lexapronomo, thank you for joining SurvivingAntidepressants.org to let us know about your success. How long have you been completely off Lexapro?

We know people have a range of reactions to dosage reductions. Some people can come off in a month as you did and have no ill effects at all. Others might do the same thing and end up suffering terribly with severe withdrawal syndrome.

The problem is, you don't know which group you'll be in until you reduce your dosage. If you're in the vulnerable second group, you may not know it until withdrawal syndrome hits you at the end of a month's taper -- or even weeks after. There are many such stories in our Introductions forum.

Withdrawal syndrome means your nervous system has been injured. It can take a very long time for this to heal. So we recommend a harm reduction approach of slower tapering for everyone -- 10% per month -- to reduce the risk of such injury.

I am very happy that after seeing this site, you decided on a systematic tapering approach that happened to work for you, and your faith kept you centered throughout the process.

Please keep us informed about how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Nice one Lexapronomore. My sister and I both did only a 2 week taper for pristiq, felt weird for a week and then were fine; a friend cold turkey'd prozac and felt just a bit strange for 2 days and was then fine. It is truly bizarre how diverse and extreme the difference can be coming off anti-depressants. How extremely horribly you suffer if you're not in the fast recovery genotype makes Alto's approach a must though, seriously, anyone who reads this and thinks maybe they will be in that lucky group that doesn't suffer and can rapidly taper DON'T. Do you want to risk becoming so severely ill you have to quit your job and spend a year or more housebound?  

Past use of Pritiq, Escitalopram, Lithium and Valproate. All ceased with no withdrawal experienced. 

07/2013- Started 10mg Asenapine (Saphris) an AAP 

01/2014- Given 2 week taper by doc

02/2014- Experienced absolutely excruciating anxiety and insomnia

02/2014- Tried reinstating at 5mg but had akathisia attack that hospitalised me

03/2014- Prescribed Doxepin and then Mirtazapine and Diazapam for 'agitated depression'

04/2014 - New Psychiatrist. Willing to empower me to get drug free. Started 50mg Chlorpromazine as an alternative to reinstating Asenapine. Rapidly tapered off the Doxepin and Mirtazapine.

Currently: 45mg Chlorpromazine, 2.5mg Diazapam. 

Supplements: Fish oil, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Magnesium

I am afraid I may have been entirely ignorant to a few things when I posted this.  Some of you may have noticed that.  A month's taper was good for me but I heard it said once that the goal was to be happy, not off of antidepressants quickly.  I can totally see 10 % per month.  I can imagine that it must be a lot more comfortable in terms of withdrawls.  I hope my comments were not brash or hasty, just my personal experience.  Thanks for the replies, I am great.  The only thing that really stands out to me is that when I get angry I have to be very careful not to let it really flare out.  Learning to cope with life without antidepressants is.....interesting to say the least.  The nervousness I experience when I get annoyed or angry is new.  I feel great, though.  I had wanted off Lexapro for a long time, and as you all know, Its quite a challenge.  I also had a little trouble sleeping for a while.  But all in all, things are good.  

Enough about me.  How are yall?   

2002-2008 Lexapro 20 mg

Jan-mar 2016 Welbutrin (cant remember dose, maybe 300)-did nothing, tapered off.

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree its a risky gamble to come off quickly but I am happy things are going well for you.  

Do everything you can to maintain good sleep.   Its so important for healing and general wellbeing.  Your sleep disturbances could be exacerbating the anger/nervousness issues (however, these are pretty common in people who have recently withdrawn)

All the best

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lexapronomo and thank you for posting your experience.

I'm somebody who tried to come off of 5 mg of Lexapro and that ended very bad. The worst happened 45 days after I stopped taking it. The first few weeks I felt mostly ok. The only sign that something was wrong was irritability. Pretty much in the same way you describe it.

That's why it would be interesting for me to know on what dose of Lexapro you were, for how long, how you decreased it and how long you have been off. Sorry if I failed to understand this from your post (although I read it a few times ;) It seems you were on 10 mg and then cut it in half every 2 weeks: 5 mg - two weeks, 2.5 mg - two weeks, nothing?

We are all different of course and I at the same time "tapered" a benzo so it all contributed to the horror of my experience. In the end I came here, i reinstated, now I'm reducing at such a slow rate which I never thought possible but I feel better than ever and I feel most hopeful of one day coming off of these medication.

As you noticed, we all have withdrawal histories in our signatures so if you have time, it would be nice to have yours as well:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Best,

bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Administrator

lexapronomore, no worries -- it's hard to grasp the enormity of this problem. Thank you for participating here.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 3 months later...

It was so encouraging to read your story bro...It was the first positive story I rad on this forum (I only found it today but still)

My story is a bit different I am only 24 and took the pills for 1-2 years but I hope for the best as I do everything I can to recover the damage these poison antidepressants did....hope I can write down my story soon here

(p.s. as a fellow Christian myself I am convinced that your seemingly "too good to be true"success story is not an accident. I mean I that relatively easy withdrawal and no permanent damage after more than a decade of pills (!!!) That is crazy good. Oh I am so hopeful now! Thx for sharing a lot!!

There is Hope.

1st short round: from 2012 april ~ july 

Sertraline 50mg with 1mg Larazepam fast wd few problems

2013 may - 2014 january:  75mg Effexor XR +  1mg Rivotril + 10mg Ambien(zolpidem)

2014 january ~ june :        150mg Effexor XR +  2mg Rivotril    cold turkeyed both almost at the same time (crazy wd of course)

two days after cold turkey of Effexor I started 10mg of Lexapro for around a month then did a fast taper (for some days took little Ambien to combat wd)

Reinstated to 1mg of Klonopin on 2015.04.23  took the 1mg total for 10 days.  I did in three divided doses 0.25 morning + 0.25 afternoon + 0.5 before sleep.  

Now: 1 mgs total K, divided into .75 night .25 day

Started taking 3mg Lamictal on 05.07...... Slowly tiltrated up to 6mg....

• 3 months later...

Thank you so much for this inspiring article. I want to taper off of this drug. I've been on 10mgs for several months in the past year and I don't want to continue taking it. I feel terrible.

Hello longdistance. Please start a topic for yourself in our Introductions and Updates forum to introduce yourself. You'll get more notice there and help for your taper should you need it. Just click the link I put in the words and when you get there look for the big black 'Start New Topic' button on the right side of the page near the top.

In any case, here is our topic for tapering lexapro:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tips-for-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/?hl=%2Btapering+%2Blexapro

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Mentor

lexapronomore how are you now? Did WD eventually hit? or still OK? Would be wonderful if you could write back. My WD didn't hit for 4 months, but a different drug, so I wish you well.

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• Mentor

Hello longdistance, I hope to read more of your posts, welcome! The advice here is marvellous, you are probably reading everything you can on this site, as I still do. Only 3 weeks on this site so far, has been a true lifesaver for me... Great advice from so many tough, resilient inspiring people. I only just have added my signature, so I must be feeling better.

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• 1 month later...

So 8 months in and I'm having a hard time sleeping. If I can sleep I am really good. The sleep thing is rough ecause i can be exhausted and still just lay there. A night of no sleep can lead to anxiety. Generally I'm super good. As long as I can sleep.

2002-2008 Lexapro 20 mg

• Administrator

Hey guys, 

Eight months ago I came off of lexapro after being on it for 12 years.  I immediately had insomnia but was ok with it.  Just took naps to cope.  Eight months after quitting I am seriously considering going back on to stabilize and then taper over a period of a year or so.  If at all.  I can't stand feeling like this.  No one around here understands.  A lot of people I have found on here haven't taken it that long and I need some help.  Anybody had an experience like this?  Any support would be great.  I was on 10 mg and tapered off in a month.  Not enough time.  Ignorance on my part.  Help.

2002-2008 Lexapro 20 mg

So, an update.  My taper was, in retrospect, way too fast.  One month is not near enough of a taper after taking this stuff for as long as i did.  For a while I was doing pretty good but lately my sleep is really in a bad place.  Constant insomnia, anxiety as a result of not sleeping and just hard times in general.  I am seriously considering reinstating at a low dose and tapering over the period of a year.  Spiriutally I feel great but physically I am really struggling.  Any body got experience with that?

2002-2008 Lexapro 20 mg

Sorry you got hit so far from the end of stopping. What other symptoms do you have except for insomnia? It's tricky to reinstate after 8 months. I tapered down to 2.7 the increase to 4.5 after about 10 month holding. Got severe reaction worse than the initial WD. Now my nervous system is super sensitized and no longer can do any reduction larger than 1%,

Please read the thread for reinstate. Someone can help finding the link for it. I don't remember how to get it anymore.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• Administrator

lexapronomore, I moved your topic here to be your Intro topic.

I'm sorry you did not continue to feel well after going off Lexapro.

After 8 months off, reinstatement is very iffy. If you try it, if I were you, I'd try a very, very small amount, perhaps 1mg, to see if it helps. Your system may be sensitized; I would not risk a higher dose because it could make your symptoms worse.

Read About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms 

Using a liquid is the best way to take a very small dose, see Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

Hey there just wanted to say I feel your pain!

I did a taper over a year long, got to 2.5 and still got hit with the insomnia and it is brutal. And I'm not even all the way off. I too am going to try reinstating (it's been 5 months since my last cut) and I'm praying praying that it works.

Not much advice just wanted to share that I'm on this journey with you and it is so scary and isolating

HISTORY: Lexapro 10mg (current and for approximately 7 years; Prozac 20mg for 5 years and Zoloft 50mg for 5 years)

Lexapro (too fast taper) 9mg 09/13; 8mg 10/13; 7mg 12/13; 6mg  02/14; 5mg  04/14; 4mg 06/14 2.5mg 08/29/14 2.25 mg 12/04/14;

Re-instatement - 2.5mg 12/17/14; 03/01/15 3.0 mg; 04/01/15 - 5mg;  05/01/15  6mg; 5/15/15 6.5mg 6/01/15 7.5mg

2nd attempt at micro taper: starting dose is 7.5mg using liquid compounded rx: 12/16/17 - 7mg;  02/05/18 - 6.75mg 04/06/18 - 6.5ml  05/31/18 re-instate back to 6.75mg 

• 3 weeks later...

So, an update.  My taper was, in retrospect, way too fast.  One month is not near enough of a taper after taking this stuff for as long as i did.  For a while I was doing pretty good but lately my sleep is really in a bad place.  Constant insomnia, anxiety as a result of not sleeping and just hard times in general.  I am seriously considering reinstating at a low dose and tapering over the period of a year.  Spiriutally I feel great but physically I am really struggling.  Any body got experience with that?

I hit a nasty insomnia wave around 7 months after cold turkeying Lexapro. It lasted around 3 months, when it was over my deep sleep patterns had been restored and I sleep better now than I did all five years while on Lexapro. I also read a few other stories about delayed onset Lexapro withdrawal insomnia that came and went. It's a classic Lexapro withdrawal wave.  

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

You're not the only person to get the tardive insomnia effect. Seems to be one of the most common withdrawl problems.

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

Insomnia is one of the most common things we all are dealing with. It's awful. We understand.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

I may stay longer on my dose, I think. My main problem is paresthesia and pain. I sleep quite well, but it may be because I am still on doxepin at night and atenolol.

I have noticed that when I am tired, I feel worse with symptoms...

Also, I increased PPI two days ago, and started feeling worse...

I feel like a slave of this meds...still feel somehow guilty that I restarted using them...i was medication free few years ago...

I now think that phisicall pain I had related to WD...

- 12.03.2021- doxepin- 50mg

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

- 30.09.2020- doxepin- 125mg

- May 2020, omeprazole 40mg switched to esomeprazole 20mg

- 2012 re-started Doxepin 75mg, evening. Increased to 150mg

- 2012, Atenolol 25mg, twice a day

- 2016, Low dose of HRT in evening, Sandrena and Utrogestan 

- Long term of Nasal spray Otrivine

- 2012, PPI Omeprazole 40mg-evening

24.10.2014- Started ESCITALOPRAM-first 5mg and then 10mg; due to the adverse symptoms reduced on 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg 22.07.2016- re-started reduction by 1% at a time. Completed tappering on  19.03.2020 😇

• 1 year later...

Hey guys. I've been on lexapro for 15 years, I think I'm in what I've heard is poop out. No big change or anything I just feel horrible all the time. Like I have the flu. Came off lexapro 2 years ago for 9 months after tapering way too fast and it was rough. Got back on at 10 mil and now I just feel terrible all the time. Added welbutrin but it didn't do anything. Tried viibryd and it was terrible. Do you guys think I could switch to prozac ? Because I've taken it so long anytime my dose is low at all I'm on terrible withdraws.

2002-2008 Lexapro 20 mg

• Administrator

Hello, I moved your post here, because we'd have to ask about your history. What happened between February and now? When did you make the other drug changes? Did you take Viibryd with Lexapro?

How have your symptoms changed in the last 6 months?

So sorry you are in this bad place lex.

Are you able to do a drug sig?

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

I just succesfully switched from lexapro to prozac because I have heard its easier to get off of.  I am scared/excited to start the taper down from 20mg.  I have taken some pill or another my whole life, starting with elementary school and ritalin.  When i got out of the navy i got put on Lexapro and took it for 15 years roughly.  I feel like now I am pretty low, I wonder if I ever really needed it.  I had just been kicked out of the Navy for drugs, been clean 9 years now, and promptly got put on the stuff and never looked back.  I quit taking the Lexapro two years ago after a taper of one month.  Hell.  I had no idea it would be as long as it will.  Planning on two years, maybe longer.  What's it like?  I could use a little support.  I have little energy all the time, irritable, and just have a sense that something is not exactly right.  I'm not suicidal, about a 6 out of 10.  Really sick of always feeling like crap.  I should say that my symptoms are very physical.  I just feel sick.  That obviously leads to frustration and depression.  Ready for this to be over.  So anyway.  Thanks.

2002-2008 Lexapro 20 mg

• Administrator

Hello, lexapronomo.

Good to see you again. I moved your post here, so we can see your entire history. Please put your questions about your particular situation in this topic.

When did you switch from Lexapro to Prozac? What were the dosages? How did you make the switch?

What do you mean when you say you feel sick? Are you nauseated?

Hey,

I made the switch a couple of weeks ago, bridged for a week.  Lexapro 10mg to prozac 20 mg.  When i say sick i mean just a total lack of energy, i just feel washed out.  Lack of spark, you know?  Like how you feel when you have a cold.  Just not with it, sick.  Thanks for reaching out.  I am just really curious about what to expect during the taper.   Will I feel better as the drug leaves or worse?  I plan on doing the 10 percent method as laid out by Bregging.  Thanks for posting that alto, the bookstore didn't have it in stock.  Seems pretty basic.  

2002-2008 Lexapro 20 mg

I am hopeful at least to have gotten off of the lexapro.  I was really worried about never being able to come off of it.  I took it for so long I was scared i would have to take it forever.  The first week on prozac was great, now I am right back where I was.  I'm done trying to make the drugs work.  I want a well though out plan to taper off.  I want to do it right this time.  

2002-2008 Lexapro 20 mg

• Administrator

It may take a while for your system to adjust to the Prozac. Until then, keep very regular with your dosing. Don't be in a hurry to taper, you'll be able to go off.

Read Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

Please let us know how you're doing in this topic.

That's interesting.  I feel like crap all day everyday and so am very eager to start my taper.  I want out.  While i know that my body isn't used to the prozac, it feels weird to take it in hopes that i would level out.  Or at least get used to it.  You know what I mean?  I have been on some pill or another my whole life, starting with ritalin.  For two years I have felt like I had cancer or something, and I am ready to start the process that is hopefully going to make me feel better.  One of the main reasons I want to do the taper is because of the daily physical symptoms.  I feel like I have been poisoned.  Frustrated.  I go see the doc in 2 weeks.  Interested to see what they have to say.  I'm sick of physically feeling like crud all the time.  Ready to really feel good again.  

2002-2008 Lexapro 20 mg

Has anyone tapered off Prozac?  Anything I might expect?  Need some wisdom in council.  Thanks.  

2002-2008 Lexapro 20 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi lexapronomo

It will be helpful if you would Please put your Withdrawal History in Signature.  Please include ALL drugs, dates, doses and how you decreased/increased (eg skipped doses, alternated doses or cold turkey).  Details of the last year to 18 months and a summary of anything prior helps us to see your drug history at a glance and makes it easier for us to offer suggestions based on your individual situation.  Please remember to update your signature whenever you make a change so it remains current.  Thank you.

If you use a search engine (I use Google) and type in survivingantidepressants.org prozac it will bring find members with prozac in their topic title.  This is the search I did.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks ChessieCat.

Edited by ChessieCat

2002-2008 Lexapro 20 mg

Can anyone relate to the fact that so many of my symptoms are physical in nature?  I just feel sick all the time.   

2002-2008 Lexapro 20 mg