SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Wilma78: mirtazapine abrupt withdrawal due health problems

wilma78

Hi. I am new to this and have been awakecall night with insomnia and feeling very scared and after some support and advice.

My story so far with mirtazapine/remeron. I was put on thus drug end of jan 2014 due to trouble sleeping, very bad anxiety, low mood and appetite. I started off on 7.5mg which had immediate effect on me all round. ( I have been on cipralex on and off the last 15 years with low mood from stomach related problems and operations. Tapered successfully first couple times then hit a brick wall was told to stop too quick about 4 years ago and ended up on setraline for a year with bad anxiety and worries.. ended up back on 5mg of cipralex which was successful but tapered off again and fell pregnant 8months later... and here I am now with a 19month old and struggling)

anyway after 10 days I went up to 15mg. Before starting this drug I have had a horrendous couple of years which ended up with me getting glandular fever sept2013 on top of severe anaphylaxis reactions and constant kidney infections after birth of my baby.. so from sept 2013 I have been battling virus after virus etc hence low mood and minimal energy.

Things were fine on mirtazapine until I noticed my immune was severely challenged and my muscles started flickering and going numb where upon I have been referred to a neurological consultant and ME Clinic for the viruses. I ended up nearly bed bound then then doctor suddenly cottoned on I was severely reacting to mirtazapine (anxiety plus crying through all this) so said in the beginning of may just stop over night. As I have not been with it shall we say since being on mirtazapine I just did what I was told however cut down to 7.5mg for 3 days then went cold turkey as I was none the wiser and after 3 days of a low dose I was able to finally lift my baby :-)

however you know what's coming... after 7 nights of no sleep, lack of appetite and anxiety I thought I was going mad... so I ended up taking a 7.5mg dose of mirtazapine just to sleep as I am prone to allergic reactions with lack of sleep and eating which can be dangerous for me. I slept well that night but to cut long story short my body reacted to that dose so ended up taking 3.75mg next night then 7.5mg following night but thought I was going mad again so doctor said to take 3.75mg...

after 2 weeks ( which was a week ago I stabilized and felt the best I ever felt for that last few days so I was told to withdraw straight down to half the 3.75mg which I did last week.... well after 3 days I felt flu like but ok then by last sunday my appetite had gone and severe anxiety. . Low mood more like blank feeling which scares the hell out of me as I then get ocd worried what does this mean etc am I going mad.

So my withdrawals in the last 3 weeks 3.75mg for two weeks... 2mg ish for 7 days but now on liquid mirt from my doctor and have been on .175 ml 2.6mg the last two nights ( I might add I took a 3.75mg tablet tues thus week) all suggested by my doctor so as u can imagine I am climbing the walls with anxiety and the last 5 mornings waking at 6pm with severe anxiety lasting mist of day with bouts if blank feeling... tonight I slept for one hour.

I seem to have little advice as doctor agrees my body is hyper sensitive but I feel after two nights of .175ml I need to go up as my body feels like it is in shock and constantly anxious with that jerking awake when I do sleep. Any advice I would be grateful as my poor body just needs to sleep and then adjust to a permanent dosage again so I can taper very slow I guess.

But what dosage should I try without going too high with my other reactions. I am in a catch 22 so feeling very scared and lack of support. Sorry for long post and grammar... blame it on no sleep! X

Started mirtazapine on 29th jan 2014 dosages:

7.5mg for 17 days then

15mg for 12 weeks awful reaction to this drug. Sudden cold turkey stopping as suggested by gp however in May 2014 're started at 3.75mg and did very very slow taper until September 2015 and I am now drug free and in recovery ????

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wilma78

• Altostrata

• Petunia

• mammaP

Top Posters In This Topic

Ps. I failed to add I seen a nutritionalist etc over last few months and 2 nights ago my serotonin levels wents down when ahe tested them on 3.75mg but went up with the .175ml drops... (less) however with this sudden half the dosing I was advised to do last week I am scared it has done damage... I am tempted to take a 7.5mg tonight just to get sleep! Like I did after the cold turkey week. Wish I'd gone in my instinct and not gone cold turkey like doctor said. I appreciate that dosing advice can't be given but I truely have nowhere to turn at the moment. Doctors have given me zopiclone not sure if I can take this at the same time as mirt.. plus I have been given valeum 2mg which I have been scared to try also. I am on stomach tablets omeprazole I take at night and ranitadine I take in the morning I wondered if these effect the mirtazapine.

7.5mg for 17 days then

15mg for 12 weeks awful reaction to this drug. Sudden cold turkey stopping as suggested by gp however in May 2014 're started at 3.75mg and did very very slow taper until September 2015 and I am now drug free and in recovery ????

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Wilma78,

Welcome and thank you for sharing your story with us.  I'm sorry you are feeling so unwell, its not surprising with everything you have been through. Insomnia is a very common symptom of mirtazapine withdrawal.  It sounds like your doctor doesn't know what he/she is doing and is just throwing various drugs at you, hoping something will work.  I wouldn't take any new drugs, if I was in your situation, but would try and re stabilize on a dose of mirtazapine, then hold for a while before beginning a much slower taper.

It would be helpful if you could put your drug and tapering history in your signature, that makes it easier to see what you have taken, for how long and what you are taking at the moment.  Instructions for how to that are here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

I put all of your current medications through an interaction checker and there are no major interactions

What dose of omeprazole and ranitadine are you taking?

As you may already know, if you have done much reading here, we recommend reducing medications by 10% at a time and then holding for about 4 weeks in order to let the nervous system adjust to the change.  You have been reducing much too fast and that's probably the main reason for your symptoms.

Here is our  mirtazapine (Remeron)  tapering information:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5301-tips-for-tapering-off-remeron-mirtazapine/?hl=%2Bhow+%2Btaper+%2Boff+%2Bmirtazapine

Please read through it carefully.  I'm not sure what to advise about the dose to reinstate, but you do need to take the same amount every day for at least a month before you consider tapering again.

I seen a nutritionalist etc over last few months and 2 nights ago my serotonin levels wents down when ahe tested them on 3.75mg but went up with the .175ml drops...

As far as I know, there is no way to test the serotonin levels in a living human brain.  Blood or urine levels are not representative of what is happening in our brain or nervous system.

When we have the details of your mirtazapine taper a little clearer, then we may be able to suggest a dose to try and stabilize at.

You will find a lot of friendly help and support here, try not to worry, we should be able to help you get back on track.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi petu

Thank you for replying. I am on 20mg of omeprazole but the last couple of nights have taken 40mg as I have felt so sick.. but I don't think its acid its a wd symptom. I take 150mg of ranitadine. And I also take neoclaryntyn 5mg once in the morning once in the evening.

I can honestly say I am struggling to type this as I feel so shakey, weak and can't concentrate. I just want to sleep but can't and scared I will feel mad and bit manic again like the cold turkey feeling 3 weeks ago. Would it be dangerous to go up to 3.75mg tonight after such changes? Ie a week on 1/2 of 3.75mg then I took 3.75 mg couple days ago as my mood was very low and depressed then I took an half of 3.75mg again weds then went onto 2.6mg liguid last night and night b4.

Thank u again I will pop this on my signature

7.5mg for 17 days then

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Wilma,

If I was in your situation, I would take 3.75mg and hold there for a while, take the same amount every day at the same time. It may take several weeks before your nervous system settles down again.  Its important not to jump around in doses.

Have a look through our section on symptoms and self care for ideas how to manage symptoms, especially read through the pinned topics at the top.

Thank you for filling out your signature, it helps members to easily understand your situation when reading your posts.  Please would you add the 15 years of prior cipralex use, along with the other medications you regularly take, it can sometimes be relevant when considering symtpoms.

Others will probably be able to offer more suggestions.  I hope you start to feel better soon. Please keep us updated on how you are doing.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Wilma, I am so sorry to read your experience, you've really been through the mill! 

I agree with Petu to stick with the 3.75 to stabilise then start a slow taper from there. 

Hopefully you will soon start to feel better but I would stay there for a few weeks after you start to

feel better  to allow your brain and nervous system a chance to stabilise.  

I would avoid the valium, it is highly addictive and then you will have yet another drug to taper from!

Omeprazole and Ranitidine are proton pump inhibitors and work by reducing the stomach acid.  This 

results in some vitamins not being absorbed properly. If you ever decide to stop those, they need tapering

too, here is a topic on them. ( I am not suggesting you get off them, just pointing out that they need tapering) 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2533-that-acid-reflux-pill-may-be-causing-your-health-problems/?hl=%2Bproton+%2Bpump+%2Binhibitors

You should add those to your signature too, plus any supplements you take regularly.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thank you petu and mummap. I have been trying to sleep this afternoon but am still getting the heart and tummy zaps! Hence still no sleep Are these normal? I must admit I made myself eat some pea protein powder earlier. . Tasted aweful as I am off food totally and still feeling sick but it did perk my mood up :-)

Mammap funny u say that about the omep and ranitadine as I found myself on previoys occasions more anxious while takung 40mg of omeprazole hence the only takung 20mg last night!

Any tips on these heart jolting zaps? ( for me triggered by noise or even dream noises etc very weird?) And the sickness? Doctor has told me to take metaclopramide again but I feel this sickness isn't acid related as I have had two nissen fundoplocation wraps and don't feel inflamed if you get me... so am very reluctant to add yet another medication to the mix. I can't be sick with my nf operations so the heaving is very unwelcome during the night and mornings.

Thanks you so much for bith responding it has helped me so much. X

7.5mg for 17 days then

• Administrator

Welcome, Wilma.

When you go off mirtazapine too quickly, you can get withdrawal symptoms. One of these can be rebound insomnia.

When you reinstate and stabilize, it can take a while before your nervous system settles down again.

Did you get the bad reaction from mirtazapine at 3.75mg?

You may also be experiencing drug-drug interactions. Please put your drugs in Drug Interactions Checker here http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and post the results below in this topic.

PS Don't pay any attention to those measurement of serotonin -- they don't show anything. You should ask your nutritionist to stop doing them.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi altostrata. Thank you.

I slept reasonably ok last night.. but had a weird reaction about 8pm.. I took my herbal stuff for bladder that has been fine last couple days but noticed just before that my glands felt up in neck and I felt bit rough. .. but after taking it I noticed I felt numb ( I can feel my skin but not underneath a bit like the lymphatic system!) This was a feeling I got really bad when on 15mg mirt and was extremely bad when I took a magnesium calcium zinc supplement as mirtazapine depleted my mag levels... and I had these weird muscles flutters which have calmed but yest afternoon were quite bad so I think it may be the mirtazapine and fatigue causing that). In answer to your question astro I also had this feeling while stabilizing back on 3.75mg I have it now its quite scary! I took my mirt ( I did the 2.6mg .175ml) at 11pm which is late as i worried about the herbal stuff i took earlier. as I have just last two nights and rhe fact I slept must be good? But its 11 hours later and I still have this numb feeling.. I can't feel my eyelids. .. I also on occasions can't feel my breaths going in... my fingers feel stiff too... but I can feel my skin when I touch it. I had this as I said on the 3.75mg then it lifted after a couple days but it is quite scary... my face and eyeluds feel swollen but or not.. I am worried that I may be allergic to the liquid mirtazapine but I had this on the 3.75mg tablet dose snd on the 15mg but I was too poorly to notice or worry so much then. This is a very weird racttion... my bp is fine and heart rate 78 so I know this feeling is not panic... but I am feeling scared tho. X

7.5mg for 17 days then

Ps. I am prone to watery feeling in my glands from allergies but not this bad. I feel like my sinuses are tight but I can still smell but another way I can describe this feeling is I can feel my skin but nit pain or anything like its been blocked or something! As well as this numb feeling I would also say my head feels numb/bank like I can't cry I was told this is a withdrawal symptom... any reassurance on this woyld be great fully appreciated. .. I have a 19month old that my partner and mum are looking after while I go through this but I feel I am missing out and he has a rubbish mum as I can't get my head to concentrate.. I just feel bland in my brain.

7.5mg for 17 days then

Me again its been 12 hours since taking my mirtazapine and now I have just cried I don't feel I want to go out, can't concentrate or enjoy anything I am scared what if I awaya feel like this... I wish I had never taken this drug as I don't recall much if the last 12 weeks.. I have been a zombie... at least b4 I was just a bit low about my health and issues.. please someone tell me this is just a bad stabilising patch... I am hoping in a while today the drug will where off and I can feel me a bit more... at the min I feel De personalised and am just worrying... I had bad what if ocd worries when they withdrew me quick from cipralex 4 years ago and I suppose at the min because my head doesn't feel right I keep telling people aroynd me I feel weird because I am worrying what if I suddenly blanked and something bad happened. All ocd worries but when a drug makes you feel like this its aweful x

7.5mg for 17 days then

Really struggling. ... just read on here someone mention that remeron/ mirt permantly damages receptors in yr brain.. and some people need to stay on it.. . Is this true? I am having a real melt down today struggling with what's reality and life and reading that has just scared the hell out if me as I need to get off this drug because of the effects it is doing to my body... feel like I'm going mad today... my heart is racing I can't smell or taste anything.. keep tellung mtself this is the drug... scared I'm gonna up in a loony bin... I just want to feel like me again befire this drug 4 months ago.... I have missed so much already x

7.5mg for 17 days then

Wilma, you are going through withdrawal and you must stick to what they are telling you and stabilize. You are going to feel so many different side effects aka symptoms. Just you must know that its your brain trying to find a balance and no you will not be damaged, healing takes a lot of time. Do a lot of research and talk to your family and friends. This will all get better, unfortunately time is what it takes. Just know what your feeling isn't you, its withdrawal. Be easy on yourself , go for a nice walk everyday (this helps).

2007-2012started Effexor xr 225mg -150mg- Varied2months of Taper,(March 22/2012 Off Med/in W/D)Currently No medicationMarch 22/2012- August 16/2012 - Totally Off Effexor( Rough Rough time) Reinstatement for a week(didn't work)****** New Doctor******* Very nice/helpful and in touch.Tried Zoloft- No successAUGUST 17/2012- STARTED 37.5 EFFEXOR FOR ONE WEEK - NOT GOOD < STOPPED.Started Buspar Oct 11th 2012----10 mg for the first 7 days and then 15mg a day---- Taking a new route----Racing thoughts - Gone.Oct 9th ( Done Zoloft,wellbutrin week project trial to feel better) - OFFICIALLY OFF ANTI DEPRESSANT !Oct 26 - Raised Buspar to 20mg a day- Tolerating wellJan 2nd 2013-

Reduce Buspar until full off march 20th 2015 Off all medication !

Tried natural supplements to no avail

Gluten/sugar free since december 2013

• Administrator

How long did you take 3.5mg mirtazapine? Why did you change to 2.6mg?

Please take the same dose at the same time each day.

Whoever said mirtazapine permanently damages receptors etc. doesn't know what he or she is talking about.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi thank you both. I am feeling very very depressed.. do I need to go up? I was told by nutristionist to take 2.6mg as she measured it on her machine that works on the energy in yr body.. she tested it against my brain and seritonin levels. I had been on 3.75mg for two weeks after my cold turkey as suggested by doctors fir two weeks.. I felt very good so was told to go down to an half the 3.75mg. My sleep was on and off last night.. woke with servere sweats... yesterday I thought I was loosing it... today I feel very unwell.. flat and very low. Should I go up to the 3.75mg like u suggested? Or higher as I feel so low? I wasn't even this depressed before I went on it... it was for anxiety :-( or out is there another antidepressant I can try to get me off of this mirtazapine for my health issues? My cold turkey and quick changes from 3.75mg and 2.6 mg after taking this I was none the wiser too many changes in 4 weeks ... think my body has gone into shock real bad... I feel so flat its scary

7.5mg for 17 days then

Ps I have just remembered the doctor put me on amytriplyn back in november 2013 only 10mg to help me sleep as my glandular fwver was bad... I slept well but after two weeks I felt very depressed again didn't feel that low b4 and had struggled with my mood since. I think I have post natal depression too. I feel so low I can't even type the other bad things that have happened ie myvgramps dieing who lived with me..

Yesterday I was anxious and low and gad this tight feeling round my head sll day until 6pm where I felt happy is this tablet making me depressed! I don't know what to think.

7.5mg for 17 days then

Pps its now been 13 hours since I took my dose last night... and my mood has lifted a tiny bit... earlier I was just staring into nothing... is this drug making me worse at this dose? And as it slowly leaves my body thru day I do feel better... this feeling is so new to me.. this doom feeling! Last week I was waiting for the 12 hour mark for the side effects to ease... last few days its this doom and can't cope feeling. Anyone experience this? Sorry I am going on... I feel I need to talk.

7.5mg for 17 days then

• Moderator Emeritus

This is very scary for you Wilma but you must try and stay calm. You have been through a lot,

are grieving for your grandpa and have a young baby to care for.  It's natural that you will be feeling

fragile even without all the meds  stuff going on.  How long did you take amytryplyn?  

I would not use the testing by your nutritionist to decide your doses, she has no idea about anti

depressant withdrawal.  I am a bit confused by all the changes, what was your last dose?  Did you

halve the 3.75?  These drugs can indeed make you feel ill and tapering down can make things better

but only when it is slow and consistent.  

You absolutely need to keep your dosing consistent to allow your body to stabilise, all the changes just

confuse the nervous system and brain even more. I would also be careful with the supplements, I noticed that

you take b vits complex and also magnesium and b combo. B vits can be very activating in withdrawal and 

they can make things worse. 

Take a look at the self care forum where there is a sticky thread on supplements.  Magnesium is good and

helps many people here, and fish oil is good for the dizziness and brain zaps for some people. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi Wilma,

I was on Remeron and I had to slow my taper down to 5% of current dose to get off of it.   It wasn't easy but I did it and so will you.

As one went to to two NDs out of desperation, I would be very leery of trusting your nutritionist's advice as far as tapering.   I would stick to the advice on this board about tapering 10% of current dose every 4 to 6 weeks and possibly go more slowly as I had to do.

And as Alto previously mentioned, serotonin can not be measured in the brain.    Please keep that in mind and ask your nutritionist not to do that test.

Best of luck.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Moderator Emeritus

1. You are experiencing withdrawal syndrome. This means lots of different feelings and thoughts and sensations and symptoms will come and go and come and go, no matter what you do, no matter what drugs you take, even if you do nothing at all. This is how withdrawal is. All the stuff you're feeling comes and goes.

If you give yourself the chance (by taking the same dose every day at the same time, not changing things around), you will eventually stabilize and this will settle down.

2. Every time you change your dose (take an extra dose, take more than the day before, take less than the day before) you are putting your brain and nervous system through the blender, on that "crush ice" setting, and you are making your withdrawal worse, and it is just going to take longer to settle down.

Taking a little more or a little less of the med is not going to fix you. These drugs are not like aspirin. They have caused concrete physical changes in your brain over time. These changes can be reversed, but not quickly.

To reverse and heal these changes, your brain needs a constant, steady chemical state, not all of this chaotic up and down and all over the place. It can't heal at all as long as you are doing that.

Please take exactly the same dose at the same time or times every day. The suggestion of 3.75 mg daily sounds good to me. Take that every day. Don't change the doses of any of your other drugs during that time either. Give your brain the steady, calm chemical state that it needs. 

During the time you are taking the same dose every day, all kinds of symptoms will come and go. We call those "windows and waves." http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-recovery/

Read through the topics "pinned" at the top in the Symptoms and Self Care section. Read the topics in the Tapering section, when you can. 

You are going to have to ride this out, but if you keep your drug doses steady every day, your brain and body can stabilize over time. Eventually you will feel well enough and stable enough that if you then want to reduce or change your drug doses, or taper all the way off, you will be able to do so, very slowly, in a way that will keep the withdrawal to a minimum and let you have your life while you do it.

Hang in there! This is a very challenging part of the withdrawal experience--you want to do something, ANYthing to stop your suffering, and of course the first thing we do is reach for a pill, but that is the worst thing you can do to yourself right now.

Take the same dose every day at the same time. Keep to a regular schedule. Give your brain as much steadiness and constant consistency as you can.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Thank you all for yr kind support. I am due my next dose in an hour but the anxiety is always calm 12/15 hours after taking my dose the night before. I think my anxieties are also high because I still have the same problems before going on the pill but hoping I can control the depression and worry better as I have total support with my son and have hopefully got rid of my glandular fever and other viruses. ... ( I actually laughed 2 hours ago... that makes me feel more positive) I am dreading the numb depressed feeling... if it cones tomorrow but will deal with that then... ( no doubt I will come on here typing away!!) Mamma p I only took the amytriplyn 10mg for two weeks last october but I did suffer withdrawal from just stopping that but lasted a few days... well so I thought anyway. Yes I did half the 3.75mg for a week and then the last 4 nights have taken equivalent to 2.60mg in liquid mirtazapine... I will take a 3.75mg tablet tonight as I have worked out the liquid is making my stomach very inflamed hence adding to my anxiety (I have had two nissen fundoplication operations) I know this is going up from the 2.60mg do ypu think this ok? but I have no scales to cut the tablets... is there any I can buy to do this when the times comes? I stopped the vit bs a few weeks back ;-) I will definitely go up to that 3.75mg? hence all yr advice and stick at this dose for a while as suggested. Rhi thank you for yr advice also... I am going yo refer back to yr post wheb I feel over whelmed by the blank doom feeling next. I take it if I had bad depression the tight head blank feeling wouldn't lift... I don't feel me but I feel better as rhe drug wears off at the moment. Xx

7.5mg for 17 days then

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Wilma,

yes, I'd also read what Rhi wrote over and over again. Also, whenever you feel bad, read about windows and waves pattern of recovery. This will help you to focus on positive changes which will happen as you stabilise on a stable dose of medication (just go to 3.75 mg and stay there no matter what). If you don't react to changes in symptoms by badgering your brain with changing drugs, you will start experiencing moments when symptoms abate which we call windows. But as the brain is settling down there will be the return of symptoms, often just as bad as initially except that these periods will get shorter and less intense over time. Yes, it's very important to note it will take time. And patience. But you will make it. If you know that these periods are just waves, a part of the normal pattern and that they actually mean you are recovering, it should be easier not to get so scared by them and most importantly not react to them by changing doses which, as Rhi explained, will only make things worse.

What helped me during that period was reading also about neuroemotions.http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/137-neuro-emotion/

It helped me to understand what was happening to me and be less scared. This resulted in a miracle which I experienced after I didn't do anything when symptoms hit me badly and they went away without adding more drugs or reducing them but just keeping everything steady.

It's a very hard process so give yourself lots of credit for living through it and know that you will make it.

best,

bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Administrator

Wilma, please, please do not take any further advice about psychiatric drugs from your nutritionist. She may mean well but she does not know what she is doing.

Cutting your dose from 3.75mg to 2.6mg might have set you back. I would go back to 3.75mg and stay there for at least a month.

Please let us know how you are doing.

Hi alto and bubble and all before.

No alto I won't but before I saw her I had already cut from 3.75mg to about 1.85mg ( I had halved the dose) for a week and was feeling doomy and low.. she said take the 2.6mg so I had gone back up for a few days but that was the liquid not tablet mirtazapine.

Last night I went back to the 3.75mg as discussed and slept right thru. I was anxious on and off a little today but felt happier and have laughed a few times which again felt like a nice happy window. My head feels foggy on and off and i have had a few moments where I had this doomy numb feeling but that was when my partner was being funny as he is struggling to understand why I am like this with the tablet! He bought back memories of why I felt I wanted to go on the tablet 4 months ago but I am guessing my system is extra sensitive with the ups and downs of the medication my poor brain has has to cope with. Feeling bit blank and foggy headed now as I type this but I feel very exhausted... I failed to add it seems I was allergic to the liquid mirtazapine so again my body is feeling exhausted from that as well and an allergic reaction often leaves me feeling low anyway. Thank u guys for yr support I am so glad I found this site.

I am feeling a bit scared of the doom blank feeling again but keep trying to tell myself I am tired and my brain is adjusting. Bubble I am just going to read yr link to see if that helps me calm xx ps the fact I have a had s controled day I am guessing this is good?? I will indeed stick to this dose fir at least for weeks like u suggest :-) I am however nervous as to what tomorrow brings but I guess you all feel or have felt this on these meds and know what I am talking about :-)

7.5mg for 17 days then

Ps mammap after your kind link on tapering antiometics last night I took my 3.75mg mirtazapine fell asleep very quickly and woke at 6.30am and had forgotten to take it plus I forgot my ranitadine.... ! Blaming it on drug confusion just hope I don't get rebound acid to top things off!

Hope u r all well today and having good windows today x

7.5mg for 17 days then

Help!!! Having these weird surges.... been on the 3.75mg for two nights I am due next tablet in an hour and I have been feeling weird all day... bad anxiety in the morning but I keep getting these weird surges then my body goes heavy... and my head feels tight.... when my dad made me angry and upset earlier instead of getting the urge to get cross my reactions became all slow and my voice tight and slow like my adrenalin surge was blocked. I went for a walk earlier and felt exhausted and heavy after like glue was poured over me. I am scared of that heavy feeling because of my allergic reactions and rhe way my body was on 15mg I ended up in bed all the time with heavy muscles... but no anxiety or depression. What's going on? My brain feels blank as well x

7.5mg for 17 days then

• Moderator Emeritus

Its going to take a while before your nervous system settles down again, that's why we suggest waiting a minimum of a month before starting to taper.  Try not to focus on every changing sensation, its to be expected.  Have a look at this thread about common withdrawal symptoms:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2390-dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist/

Click on the second link in the first post because the first one isn't working any more.

Also, this topic about the windows and waves pattern of recovery may help you to understand how 'normal' it is for symptoms to come and go as part of the recovery process.  Try and be patient, you will start to feel better, it will probably take longer than you would like though.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Thanks petu. I have gone up to the 3.75mg for 5 nights now and feel extremely spaced out today... bad memory and everything an effort for my brain.Keep feeling light headed. Struggling to write this to be honest. This morning at six I woke with anxiety over my body but my head calm. I am trying to ignore all this but with this foggy head its hard having a baby not to worry.. I keep asking people sm I acting strange because I can retain anything. I read a post I did when not taking this drug and thought... there I am my brain could function then. I get dizzy when I stand up and feel shakey plus nerve sensation not good in the morning as I burnt myself and it took a good while to feel the psin on my hand and realise I hVe to wipe the hot porridge off b4 it stops burning. X

7.5mg for 17 days then

Feeling very dizzy and weak quite calm and pulse while resting at 120 us this normal for changes in this drug?

7.5mg for 17 days then

• Administrator

That sounds like a very high pulse rate. When did this start?

Hi alto it calmed down after a couple of hours. But it came down slowly. I have noticed it rev up to this rate a few times and make me feel weird but today I felt like either passing out or sleeping on the spot. I did wonder if my blood sugars were a bit out but ate lots of protein at lunch to give me some energy so couldn't test them at the time. All day until about 5pm my brain has felt very odd and my blood pressure has been up one min then low the next. Surprisingly I have felt calm all day.

7.5mg for 17 days then

• Administrator

Please keep notes on paper about your daily symptom pattern and when you take your drugs and supplements, plus their dosages.

I have kept a dairy from day one of starting mirtazapine :-)

7.5mg for 17 days then

• Administrator

Did the fast pulse happen only this once?

The last couple of weeks have been a blurr so can't remember much! but I have had it a a few times i think but not that high and feeling so faint. I slept well again last night and didn't wake with the adrenalin surges this morning. I am also with it this morning instead of feeling like my brain is mashed! Is this a good sign? :-)

How are you feeling today alto? Thanks for replies

7.5mg for 17 days then

• Administrator

At what time of day have you had these spells of high heart rate relative to when you take your drugs?

Did this start after you increased the mirtazapine to 3.75mg this last time?