Dr. Rob Purssey's tips about Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)

Altostrata

• Administrator

Dr. Rob Purssey in Australia is a psychiatrist and practitioner of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), which he describes as a modern form of cognitive-behavior therapy that may be of value to many here.

He has sent the following information about ACT.

Here are THREE brief, entertaining videos which nicely demonstrate the principles of ACT:

1.      Headstuck! What is Experiential Avoidance? By Rob Archer: 3 ½ minutes, very engaging, simple, effective animated video.

2.      M!ndi – the ACT model in 3 ½ animated minutes, by NeLi Martin: simply wonderful, Brisbane ACT therapist, web team and musicians.

3.       Build your Emotional Agility, by Susan David CEO of Evidence Based Psychology on Harvard Business Review: 2 min 50 sec, ACT for workplace
http://hbr.org/video/2804434484001/build-your-emotional-agility

So, altogether 10 minutes of very different, engaging and fun audio visual ACT goodness!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator

From Dr. Purssey:

User's Guide to the Human Mind - brilliant book

I highly recommend this excellent, funny, really useful book. See not only the main book site http://guidetothemind.com, but also the great links from there. And also check the author’s very funny and informative blog www.ironshrink.com

Purchase via Kindle store, or Book Depository, of Fishpond, or www.openleaves.com.au

ABOUT THE BOOK from the author

I’ll bet that you, like me, have a mind that follows you through life offering constant commentary. A mind can be a difficult thing to live with. That’s why I have written The User’s Guide to the Human Mind: Why Our Brains Make Us Unhappy, Anxious, and Neurotic, and What We Can Do about It.
It’s about living with your mind when your mind is driving you crazy.

Don’t get me wrong, I love minds. But sometimes they can be downright willful and insolent. They think their own thoughts, without permission, and usually with impeccably bad timing. My last attempt at public speaking comes to mind. As I stood in front of a crowd, ready to talk, my mind gave me these thoughts:

You’re going to forget what to say. You need a haircut. Is your fly open?

I did not want those thoughts. They were not helpful. Thanks a lot, mind.

Sometimes minds give us things much worse than the jitters. They can convince us that we are damaged and unlovable, or that we cannot do something well within our capabilities. Minds can be that powerful.

But here is my bias toward minds: they are here to help us. No matter how irrational or unhelpful a thought seems, I believe it is the mind’s attempt to keep us right-side-up and breathing.

The trick, I think, is learning when to listen to the mind, and how to ignore it when it is unhelpful. That’s where User’s Guide to the Human Mindcomes in. It is on shelves now thanks to the wonderful people at New Harbinger Publications, and you can purchase it from most fine booksellers.

I hope you find it useful!

http://guidetothemind.com/bonus_material/introduction-to-the-users-guide-to-the-human-mind/

http://guidetothemind.com/bonus_material/dont-believe-everything-your-mind-says/

http://guidetothemind.com/bonus_material/letter-to-a-worriers-loved-one/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Administrator

From Dr. Purssey:

I wrote a chapter on in "chronic and severe symptoms" in this book http://www.amazon.com/The-ACT-Matrix-Psychological-Flexibility/dp/1608829235 , and I was asked to write this chapter as I have clearly a strong determination to help those suffering in the most severe ways. This book is a pretty good assistance to understanding and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, although the best place to start is with the happiness trap, and users guide to the human mind. There will be very good ACT therapists and matrix users in your nearby communities who can connect if you wanted to get a coach, to assist with the written materials. I would recommend this to any therapist, as well as any sufferer.

• 3 weeks later...

I am seriously considering looking into this regarding my difficulties with pap therapy.   At the same time, I am looking for a provider to consult with but until I see that person, I need to find some way of dealing with the issues that don't feel offensive to me like I feel CBT-I is.

Has anybody else found ACT helpful?

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• 4 years later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Here is a terrific article on ACT: AEON:  How to Live a Values Driven Life in the Face of Dark Emotions

I also had some terrific stuff from Dr. Purssey, but can't find them now.  I'll keep looking.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy