SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Geminigirl: Hope for Healing

geminigirl

• Administrator

merged topics

Good to see you are doing better.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• geminigirl

• Altostrata

• LexAnger

• brassmonkey

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Alto,

I have a question for you.

I am wondering, I am doing a liquid taper and I am worried that my measurements aren't exact every single day. Like I usually put my 20 mg tablet in 20 ml of water solution, let it sit for 10 minutes, then shake it a lot, and then as fast as I can take out 3 ml with a 3 ml oral syringe, and then 1.5 ml with a 3 ml syringe. Then the rest I drink with apple juice.

Because I am not a chemist and am not doing these measurements in a lab, what if my measurements are not perfect?

Doesn't that mean that I will get increased withdrawal symptoms because the measurements have to be exact each and every time? Like perfect?

I also noticed today my head was so so so clear and everything was going so well and I was so in touch with my emotions, and then when I took my dose for the day, it's like that haze came back and sleepiness. It really sucks!

Why is it when I take my dose for the day I feel worse?

Is there any way I can just stop taking the meds? It feels so much better the lower my doses are getting.

I am also wondering how I will know if I am one of those people who gets protracted withdrawal?

As you know, I did get really bad withdrawal these past couple of weeks due to the accumulation of all my tapers, but after the nightmare, I get better pretty quickly, and it's like now I feel super good, better than I have in the past 6 years. My mood has even improved, and I don't feel the depression I did when I was on a higher dose.

Is there any way I can taper much faster, just go through the hell of withdrawal for a couple of weeks and then I will be done with this stuff fast? I really don't want to be on this stuff. I think my brain now knows its poison.

I just think that the 5% taper I was doing isn't so helpful because I still got bad withdrawal anyways despite going so slowly.

Now I feel me taking the drug feels too activating.

Should I split my dose in half and take one half in the morning and one in the evening so it wouldn't be too activating?

Let me know :)

Thanks,

Yana

2010 started 10 mg celexa, 2011 went up to 20 mg

06/2014 started tapering (20 mg,10 mg alternate days)

19/09/2014 crashed at 10 mg

20/09/2014 updosed to 20 mg to try and stabilize- Never stabilized and CNS basically plummeted

August 31 2015- Started my 5% taper anyways

May 3 2016- At 14 mg the tapering caught up with me- Withdrawal included severe anxiety, feeling like im on speed, suicidal and homicidal ideation, akathesia, feeling like I was on heroin, memory loss, PGAD, feeling like I was on an acid

May 4 2016- Updosed to 15.5 mg to try and stabilize

​June 4- Started taking 2 mg 5 times a day which adds up to 10 mg because of akathesia when taking my full dose. Akathesia symtpoms smaller

July 27th- Dropped from 15.5 mg to 10 mg because could no longer tolerate taking drug- bad side effects mainly akathesia and emotional deadness.

​Oct 11- Improved a lot since May 4th after my crash. Withdrawal symptoms still left- DR/DP, emotional anasthesia, akathesia, tingling in head, feeling like my body and face disappears, messed up sound interpretation, perception and difficulty reading social and emotional cues during DR/DP, apathy, inability to tell if I am in dream or reality, disturbed sleep. Started having few windows

• Administrator

You cannot be perfect, but it's best if you are as accurate as possible and use the same steps in the same order every time.

You may find it easier to measure 4.5mL with a 5mL syringe.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

That's a good idea.

How about if I split my dose in half twice a day?

Could I measure 2 ml and then 2.5 ml each time?

Also, I noticed today that when I took my dose of 15.30, it was too activating.

Is there any chance I could take a lower dose now?

20/09/2014 updosed to 20 mg to try and stabilize- Never stabilized and CNS basically plummeted

May 3 2016- At 14 mg the tapering caught up with me- Withdrawal included severe anxiety, feeling like im on speed, suicidal and homicidal ideation, akathesia, feeling like I was on heroin, memory loss, PGAD, feeling like I was on an acid

​June 4- Started taking 2 mg 5 times a day which adds up to 10 mg because of akathesia when taking my full dose. Akathesia symtpoms smaller

July 27th- Dropped from 15.5 mg to 10 mg because could no longer tolerate taking drug- bad side effects mainly akathesia and emotional deadness.

​Oct 11- Improved a lot since May 4th after my crash. Withdrawal symptoms still left- DR/DP, emotional anasthesia, akathesia, tingling in head, feeling like my body and face disappears, messed up sound interpretation, perception and difficulty reading social and emotional cues during DR/DP, apathy, inability to tell if I am in dream or reality, disturbed sleep. Started having few windows

Like I was doing better before I took my meds today. Then after I took them I felt less clear headed, more groggy and also felt more anxiety...

So ya, I was wondering if I can take a lower dose, like 10 mg?

• Moderator Emeritus

Yep, accuracy is important. I had a situation a few months back where I screwed up my measuring and got some fairly bad symptoms - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8870-dan998-cold-turkey-reinstatement-and-tapering-citalopram/?p=212581

If you’re worried about accuracy, you can always dissolve your tablet in a much larger volume of liquid. For example, if you want to take 15.5mg, you could dissolve a 20mg pill in 200ml of liquid and drink 155ml, you are just multiplying the dose you want by 10. You can get very accurate doses using this method. Laboratory grade measuring cylinders will make it much easier to accurately measure larger volumes of liquid, these can be purchased from amazon.

I did a bit of looking about online for you and it seems to be fine to dissolve your tablets in fruit juice as long as you take it straight away, but you shouldn’t store juice solutions for later, because the acids in the juice will react with the medicine over time. If you wanted to store your solutions for later you should dissolve it in water and then mix with fruit concentrate just before swallowing. A solution made with distilled or filtered water should keep for at least week if refrigerated 

That’s great that you’re noticing an improvement as your dose gets lower. Feeling worse after taking a dose sort of proves that these are indeed side effects of citalopram. I also wake up feeling quite positive and energetic until I take my dose. Then I get drowsy and lack motivation. The problem with this is that it’s tempting to want to cut too much too quickly.  

Getting off these poisons is a delicate balancing act, the aim is to get rid of the side effects, but also prevent the withdrawal effects. What makes it really hard is the withdrawal and side effects are pretty similar, so we can never be sure which is which.  :unsure:  :wacko:  :blink:

You mentioned protracted withdrawal. There is no way of telling if you will get it or not, but do you really want to find out by experiment? Have you ever tried a cold turkey? I have, I felt great for a few weeks and then got slammed by a new level of awfulness that I never thought possible. It really isn’t something I’d want to see anyone else have to go through.

I can sense that you’re impatient to get this over with. All of us here are too, it’s frustrating how long tapering takes, but there really is no quick fix to this. Please don’t drop to 10mg, it is far too big a cut (33%) and might get you into all sorts of difficulties. You can always try a 10% cut if you feel that 5% isn’t enough, but you have to be prepared to hold until you feel stable again, however long that takes. 

Take it slow. You WILL feel better and better as your dose continues to get lower, but only if you keep those scales in balance.

There are quite a few of us on here that do split doses. Splitting the dose does mean more faffing about, but is definitely something worth trying and you can always go back to single dosing if you feel it doesn’t make any difference.

2001: 20mg paroxetine
2003-2014: Switched between 20mg citalopram and 10mg escitalopram with several failed CT's
2015: Jan/ Feb-very fast taper off citalopram; Mar/ Apr-crashed; 23 Apr-reinstated 5mg; 05 May-updosed to 10mg; 15 Jul-started taper; Aug-9.0mg; Sep-8.1mg; Oct-7.6mg; Nov-6.8mg; Dec-6.2mg
2016: Jan-5.7mg; Feb-5.2mg; Mar-5.0mg;  Apr-4.5mg; May-4.05mg; Jun-3.65mg; Jul-3.3mg; Aug-2.95mg; 04Sep-2.65mg; 25Sep-2.4mg; 23Oct-2.15mg; 13Nov-1.95mg; 04Dec-1.75mg; 25Dec-1.55mg.
2017: 08Jan-1.4mg; 22Jan-1.25mg; 12Feb-1.1mg; 26Feb-1.0mg; 05Mar-0.9mg; 15Mar-0.8mg; 22Mar-0.7mg; 02Apr-0.6; 09Apr-0.5mg; 16Apr-0.4mg; 23Apr-0.3; 03May-0.2mg; 10May-0.1mg

Finished taper 17 May 2017.

Read my success story

I am not a medical professional. The information I provide is not medical advice. If in doubt please consult with a qualified healthcare provider.

Hi Dan,

Would it be easier if I just ask a compound pharmacy to do this for me? I feel this is too much work right now for my weak brain.

Problem is, I don't really trust pharmacists now. What if they make a mistake when measuring my meds?

Anyways, I will see.

Regarding the laboratory grade measuring cylinders, if I want to drink 155 ml of liquid, how big of a cylinder do I get?

Actually,

I think I will just dissolve the 20 mg tablet in 20 ml of water and then take out 4.5 ml and drink the rest.

I will use a 5 ml syringe like alto suggested though and a 20 ml oral syringe to put in the water.

If I want to take the my meds twice and split them in half, how do I do that? Since I am only taking out 4.5 ml.

Also, usually what I do too is the little bit of meds left in at the bottom tip, I wash it in with the dose I will be taking. is that right?

If I do it with compound pharmacy, I think my compound pharmacy can make the celexa into pill form.

Should I do that?

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, using 20ml liquid certainly makes the calculations easier when our brains aren't working properly. You can buy 1ml syringes for when you get to the smaller doses.

Using a compounding pharmacy to do it for you will be the easiest method. I think the reasons people go with the home-made liquid is because it's a lot cheaper and gives you more flexibility with tapering.

2003-2014: Switched between 20mg citalopram and 10mg escitalopram with several failed CT's
2015: Jan/ Feb-very fast taper off citalopram; Mar/ Apr-crashed; 23 Apr-reinstated 5mg; 05 May-updosed to 10mg; 15 Jul-started taper; Aug-9.0mg; Sep-8.1mg; Oct-7.6mg; Nov-6.8mg; Dec-6.2mg
2016: Jan-5.7mg; Feb-5.2mg; Mar-5.0mg;  Apr-4.5mg; May-4.05mg; Jun-3.65mg; Jul-3.3mg; Aug-2.95mg; 04Sep-2.65mg; 25Sep-2.4mg; 23Oct-2.15mg; 13Nov-1.95mg; 04Dec-1.75mg; 25Dec-1.55mg.
2017: 08Jan-1.4mg; 22Jan-1.25mg; 12Feb-1.1mg; 26Feb-1.0mg; 05Mar-0.9mg; 15Mar-0.8mg; 22Mar-0.7mg; 02Apr-0.6; 09Apr-0.5mg; 16Apr-0.4mg; 23Apr-0.3; 03May-0.2mg; 10May-0.1mg

Read my success story

I am not a medical professional. The information I provide is not medical advice. If in doubt please consult with a qualified healthcare provider.

• Moderator Emeritus
"If I want to take the my meds twice and split them in half, how do I do that? Since I am only taking out 4.5 ml."

You would have to do it the other way round. i.e. make up 20ml and take 7.75ml in the morning, 7.75ml in the evening and throw away what's left. Like we discussed before, the drugs will distribute evenly throughout the liquid if you give the bottle a really good shake before you draw up with the syringe.  

Read my success story

I don't know much about liquid tapers, so I can't be of much help but I wish you well!

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way. 

Thanks coldturkeymama.

I am feeling manic today. Before I took my meds I felt violent and angry, now I feel a bit too happy.

I really hate this.

I feel like I am going insane and driving others insane around me.

I feel I don't know who I am anymore.

That and I am also trying to do therapy.

• Administrator

Thanks, Dan!

Hi Guys.

I have a question.

My math and cognitive skills have been very iffy lately.

I am wondering if somebody could guide me through how to measure out my dose of 15.5 mg using these lab chemistry tools, and also what size cylinders I need.

My brain is definitely not working right.

Let me know if you can :)

Best,

Yana

Hi Guys,

I feel so angry.

I was feeling so good this morning.

Then I took my meds, and it turned my happy, feeling, human mood into depression, and disconnection. This feels so horrible.

I am going to try and half my dose for tomorrow, as well as maybe take it in the evening. Yes, I think taking it in the evening is better.

It's crazy how after taking my meds, I feel so horrifyingly indifferent, like nothing matters at all.

I know now though its the meds and its temporary. I just need to get off this stuff!

All the natural feelings of connection I feel with people just goes out the drain once I take the meds.

This is so horrible.

Let's not do anything rash Geminigirl. I really think you should try splitting your dose half in the morning and half in the evening for a while. To just do a 50% reduction is going to cause a lot of trouble, you know better.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Yes.

Do any of you guys experience feelings of intense anger for no reason?

This feels horrible.

• Moderator Emeritus

Geminigirl, I wish I could blame my anger on psych drug withdrawal and call it a neuro-emotion. Unfortunately I almost always think I have good justification.

I answered the questions you asked in the topic about using a graduated cylinder.  Here's my response: Link

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Moderator Emeritus

Geminigirl: Reading your signature, I'm guessing that you using 20 mg capsules.

This way makes the most of your capsules, giving you 5 days at 15.5 mg, leaving only 2.5 mg at the end:

1. Put 80 ml of water into a graduated cylinder.
  2. Empty contents of 4 capsules (20 mg each) into 80 ml water.
  3. Result: You have 80 ml of liquid where 1 ml = 1 mg Celexa (citalopram)
  4. Shake the cylinder.
  5. Put an oral syringe into the middle depth of the liquid and withdraw 15.5 ml ( = 15.5 mg Celexa).
  6. Put the syringe in your mouth, squeeze out and swallow the Celexa solution.
  7. Keep solution in refrigerator.

At the end after 5 doses, you'll have 2.5 ml (2.5 mg) left. Either

• discard this (simplest arithmetic for future batches), **OR**
  • take this 2.5 ml on the sixth day with 13 mg from a new batch.

If 15.5 ml is too small an amount to handle, use more water in step 1. Some options:

• 160 ml water + 80 mg Celexa >> 2 ml = 1 mg; step (5) daily dose = 31 ml
  • 240 ml water + 80 mg Celexa >> 3 ml = 1 mg; step (5) daily dose = 46.5 ml
  • 320 ml water + 80 mg Celexa >> 4 ml = 1 mg; step (5) daily dose = 62 ml

Hope that helps.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to ask if you think I can get through this withdrawal stuff.

I am already a very sensitive, scared person and so I am worried I wont make it through this.

Even though I have not lowered my dose recently, I am still getting withdrawals from my recent crash.

I realized how much these meds have f****d up my life over the years. They took away my happiness and emotions.

I had a nervous breakdown before taking these meds and a lack of support from parents. I felt very alone and also had childhood trauma.

I have been in therapy for 4 years, but it feels like there has been no changes cuz my brain has been so blunted by the drugs, any changes that could have been made were all numbed out.

I am on disability currently, dealing now with my initial issue of why I went on the drugs, as well as the withdrawal itself. Welcome to hell.

Edited by brassmonkey
Cleaned up lanugage

I also feel I have PTSD from these drugs, because anytime I try to be happy and positive, it's like a new withdrawal symptom comes along and I feel like it takes away all that progress.

I also have memory loss, and can't remember loved ones or the years I spent in therapy. It's like I was not there.

Put a quarter in the swearing jag Gemini. LOL  I know how you feel, but in the open forum we have to watch our language, we have members who are minors.

" I wish I could blame my anger on psych drug withdrawal and call it a neuro-emotion. Unfortunately I almost always think I have good justification." Scalywag

You can, because it is, but that's no justification.  It's a pattern of thinking that I call "the Anger Spiral".  It's very common in normal life and even more so in WD. It goes something like this.  Someones action, real or perceived, momentarily pisses you off.  This triggers a serious of ruminating thoughts that compound that action, blowing it out of proportion and adding to it a lot of supporting emotions dragged up out of your real or imagined past.  It build up and up until there is an explosion of anger.  It feels totally justified because of all the supporting material and the lowered inhibitions caused by the drugs.

Understanding the Anger Spiral goes a long way toward controlling it.  Watch for the triggers and try to recognize what is going on next time it happens. With a bit of practice it's possible to defuse the situation by recognizing when it is starting and changing the channel.  In the beginning it may not be possible to control the emotions, but if you can recognize the situation it is your cue to just walk away.  It is much better to be a bit rude by turning and leaving than to get into a confrontation.  Once you're out of "danger" the situation can be more rationally analysed and defused in your mind.

It takes some practice and sole searching but it does work.  I was originally put on Paxil for violent outbursts of irrational anger.  Over the years I have learned about the Anger Spiral and learned to tame it.  The mental training has been much more effective than the drugs ever were.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

brassmonkey:  Thanks for your thoughtful response to my off-handed attempt to be amusing. Rather than muddle up Gemini's thread, I replied to you in my intro thread. If you want to read it, here's a quick link.

scallywag's Introduction

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to say I hate these drugs sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much.

Just after a beautiful window, it all went away into the bleak darkness of the effects of these drugs.

These drugs even make it harder to feel close to people and god. It feels not good at all. It also takes away my capacity to think for myself and be independent.

I am still holding on and having lots of hope though. I know that there is love underneath all of this.

I currently feel so tired, its insane.

I really want to get off this stuff asap.

I am paranoid while on these drugs too and don't trust anyone.

Anyways, still holding on and hoping on,

I wanted to ask if I should start tapering again.

I am pretty sure I still have slight withdrawals, but I feel like the dose I take now is too much and I can take a much smaller dose.

I also am a really big believe in god and that he will carry the day, so I am thinking of just going down 10% this time, although I want to cut a much bigger dose.

I feel imprisoned :(

Thank you and god bless!!

Hey Ggirl,

Just want to send a hug to you for comfort and support and let you know you are not alone.

Im glad you had a window. It will come again. Uprising has always given me huge problems, be slow and careful.

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• Moderator Emeritus

Maybe hold off a bit longer Gemini, till it's been at least a month, especially given that you've just had a window end.  Maybe reassess in a week - see how things look then. 

I know that feeling of wanting off them - just remember that slowly will likely get you there faster!

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Hi Karen,

Okay.

I am doing kind of bad right now though, still.

I have had terrible mood swings today and now feel very high and tired.

I am also very confused and basically house bound because of my anxiety and crazy mood swings. I also have short term memory loss.

Anybody else has been through this?

• Moderator Emeritus

I have - both while on my full dose, and since reducing.  I am doing a lot better now, but last June/July/August I was pretty much stuck at home.  I had anxiety, depression, exhaustion - all at really high levels.  It wasn't pretty! 

It will change Gemini - just usually not as fast as we'd like.  One day you'll find you are in a better place again. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

Hi Karen,

Thank you for the support.

I feel so tired and drained from all this though.

I want my brain and self back.

My adult ability to soothe myself and reason and not be so needy.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to ask if you think I can get through this withdrawal stuff.

I am already a very sensitive, scared person and so I am worried I wont make it through this.

None of us start out strong enough to get through this ordeal. We all have our self-doubts and think that this task is impossible, but we become stronger with every day that we endure, until one day we realise that we can do this. 

If you truly desire to be free of meds then what choice do you have other than to keep going? But, you have to be smart and withdraw from the drugs nice and slowly.

Withdrawal is probably the hardest thing that you will ever have to do, but it can definitely be done, have a read through the success stories to give yourself some encouragement.  

All of us here understand what you are going through and want you to succeed.

You are stronger than you think you are!

Read my success story

• Moderator Emeritus

I had the agoraphobia too. I hardly left the house for about 10 years whilst on full dose. This has steadily gotten better as I've tapered. Although, I still get days where I can't face the outside world.

Read my success story

Dan-- your post #253 is excellent, I've taken the liberty to repost it in the Best of SA thread.

Brass

• Moderator Emeritus

Exactly my thoughts Brass - beautiful response by Dan.  (Thanks Dan - I bet a lot more people get encouragement from that post).

8 month hold.

I used compounded pharmacy for my entire Paxil taper..it was so easy...because they made all the doses for me..and intend to do the same thing this time around...Pharmasave is where i got mine ..Shoppers or London Drugs does not do them...so if you have a Pharmsave in your area then its the best choice:)

Michele aka MapleLeafGirl

Paxil Free Since June 1st 2014

Was on Paxil for 8.5 years on and off from 2001

Did a 4 year successful taper off 20mgs of Paxil

My Successful Tapering Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7812-mapleleafgirl-successfully-tapered-off-paxil/

Tapering Schedule:

3rd attempt at withdrawal going slow..compounded pills
05/27/2010 - 03/12/12: Tapered From 20mgs - 6.2 (2nd year into Taper)
04/11/2012 - 6.0 - 3.4 - 05/05/2013 (Third year into Taper)
06/04/2013 - 3.2 - 1.0 - 05/31/2014 (Fouth and Final Year of Taper)

February 9th 2016 month 20 off paxil and four year taper..experiencing a horrible wave bad bad bad

May 2016 Made the decision to go back on an SSRI  - Currently on Escitalopram 10mgs but planning to taper at some point in the near future

Hi Guys,

I am currently at 14 mg.

I am taking 7 mg in the morning and 7 mg at night.

The problem is that I am having a really hard time in the morning since once I take the meds, I become very manic and have strange homicidal thoughts and fears, paranoia, etc.

I feel I honestly cant go through life like that for another month until I get to a smaller dose.

Brass or Alto,

Can you advise me on whether I can just take a smaller dose?

Cuz the 14 mg is wayyyyy too activating and causes extreme mania and memory loss, irrational thinking, etc. My mother is also somewhat mean/doesn't understand and I am afraid she will send me to the police if I act that way. I am very sensitive and when people yell at me or take me to the police it makes it even worse.

Thanks,

Yana