remsux Mirtazapine Withdrawal; 15 months and getting worse

remsux

I seemed to have been getting better the first few months after stopping the Mirtazapine but for the last 11 months my symptoms have been getting worse. Vertigo, vision problems, DP/DR, headaches, etc.  I've been functional throughout, keeping my job and normal life going but that is getting harder to do.  My question is:  Is it crazy to think about reinstating 15 months after stopping the drug?

After a successful taper from Valium using the Ashton Method (completed on June 1, 2013)  I began a quick taper off of 7.5 mgs of Remeron splitting the tab in two for a week at a time for approximately four weeks.  I took my last spec of Remeron on August 23, 2013.  My withdrawal symptoms have steadily gotten worse (14 months out as I write this).  They include dizziness, ocular migraines, brain fog, anxiousness, feeling like my eyes are being forced closed and my head pushed forward.  No windows or waves just a downward spiral.

• Moderator Emeritus

Just a quick answer, but hopefully someone will get in here with some links for you. (You can find the info under Tapering, check out the topics pinned at the top, there's lots of info on reinstatement.)

After 15 months there's no telling how a reinstatement will go. It's not really a reinstatement at that point, more sort of just going on meds again.

Nothing crazy about looking for help and relief from that kind of suffering.

One thing to keep in mind is that it's not uncommon for this to be the worst time in a prolonged withdrawal, somewhere between one year and two years out a lot of people go through this--it's getting worse and it feels like it's just going to go on forever. And it does go on for a while, but somewhere around one and a half to two years out most people seem to turn a corner.

Not everyone, no guarantees, but I've seen this pattern before many times. If it's at all possible you might want to see if you can hold out for a while. At one time you must have really wanted off the meds, for a reason, and if you go back on, eventually you'll probably come back to that same place, and you'll wish you hadn't restarted. 

But the decision is of course totally up to you. Only you know what you're going through.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Also, your sig line is a bit confusing, about the benzo taper completed in June 2014, but Remeron taper after it, but it started in 2013? Did you just complete a benzo taper in June of 2014 or did you mean 2013?

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

Welcome, remsux.

As Rhi said, there's no way to predict what a little Remeron would do at this point.

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

rem,

Do try the magnesium, it helped me with my anxiety.

Prozac 1999-2009 quit semi cold turkey.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

Weaned off Seroquel and Tranxene .to Remeron 15 Mg.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

9/11/14 - 7.5 mg tranxene, 40mg Pamelor, Zyprexa 2.5mg

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rem, welcome from me too.

Also, your sig line is a bit confusing, about the benzo taper completed in June 2014, but Remeron taper after it, but it started in 2013? Did you just complete a benzo taper in June of 2014 or did you mean 2013?

Also, how long were you on a benzo and Remeron for, when did you start taking these drugs?

I agree with the others, hold off on reinstating if you can.  Have a look through this link for some ideas:

Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I cold turkeyed Imipramine after taking it for 2 months and was fine for 7 months at which time I was hit with bad withdrawal. At first I tried-no idea why-Prosac, for 3 months, but got no better. Then I went back to my full dose of Imipramine (10 months off of it at this point) and started feeling better in a few days, and fine again within 2 months. 

Sept 12th 1992-began taking Imipramine (50mgs) for panic attacks.

Stopped Imipramine after 4 months (cold turkey).

7 months later experienced "mysterious" bad flu-like symptoms, although, without upper respiratory problems or fever. Because of this and a day of panic attacks, was put on Prozac (20mgs?) for 2 months and then, when that didn't work-was put back on  Imipramine,  plus Xanax 1 mg (4Xdaily)-October 1993.

March 1999-switched from Imipramine (50mgs) to Celexa.

2008-switched to Pristiq for 3 months, then back to Effexor XR (after bad reaction to the Pristiq).

Sept 1st 2010-Switched from Effexor XR (75mgs) to Effexor Generic (solid form) in preparation for taper.

Nov 15th 2010-Began tapering from 75mgs Effexor Generic.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

April 17th 2014-      .03mgs

May 11th 2014-       .02mgs

Ended taper October 31st 2014

Oct 4th 2015-11 months post taper and completely back to normal!

• 3 months later...

Hi remsux. Just wanted to let u know i am 13 months off and ive seen nothing but improvement until the last month were it feels like ive gotten severely worse so im banking on what Rhiannon said about it being a pattern. Maybe our next breakthrough is right around the corner. Oh and btw i love your name. Remeron really does suck :P peace love and healing

• 5 months later...

It was my second anniversary of my last chip of Mirtazapine last week and the withdrawals are worse than ever.  The fatigue is almost crippling along with dizziness, vision problems, brain fog, tinnitus, anxiety, etc.  I guess I'm looking for people out there in a similar circumstance who have gotten better.  I'm actually considering reinstating which is really a last resort for me.  I understand it takes time for the brain to heal, I'm just desperate for some improvement.  

After a successful taper from Valium using the Ashton Method (completed on June 1, 2013)  I began a quick taper off of 7.5 mgs of Remeron splitting the tab in two for a week at a time for approximately four weeks.  I took my last spec of Remeron on August 23, 2013.  My withdrawal symptoms have steadily gotten worse (14 months out as I write this).  They include dizziness, ocular migraines, brain fog, anxiousness, feeling like my eyes are being forced closed and my head pushed forward.  No windows or waves just a downward spiral.

I was in a really bad way two years out. I remember writing my two year post on paxil progress I was desperate. Am 38 months off now and so much better. Been on holiday abroad three times . I walked 8 miles one day last week.

The thing that made the difference for me was identifying triggers. Someone on paxils progress came back to leave a positive post and that's what he said. For me no alcohol no sugar of any kind and that includes fruit and brightly coloured veg eggs and cheese yoghurt. I eat loads of meat and fish lots of green and white veg,lots of wholemeal bread and brown rice take 1 capsule fish oil 1 oil of evening primrose I multi vitamin and mineral all standard strength. None of the weird and wonderful "cures" I read about on here no drugs of any kind.

Work on your mind. Rewire your brain is one book I use and another by Joshua Taylor on anxiety and panic available on amazon. A mouthguard. I know what unbelievable hell this is but I believe I d have got better sooner if I d known about triggers. I don't cheat ever . When I ve accident ly had something in a restaurant its set me off but my reactions are getting less. At two years I couldn't go over the doorstep. If you reinstate you will have. To do it again at some point. You can't see the light at the end of the tunnel until it arrives. Am not completely fixed yet but so much better and can actively work on my recovery. I wish you peace and healing

Paxil 10mg 21/2 years to June 2012 after a 2 month taper

• Moderator Emeritus

remsux,

Here is the link to your intro/update topic where you have some replies and questions:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7387-remsux-mirtazapine-withdrawal-15-months-and-getting-worse/

If you would clarify (in your intro topic) what year you completed your benzo taper, that would help.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

• 2 weeks later...

Because of reacting to an episode of severe tinnitus my Remeron withdrawals have become very activated, basically unbearable. Should I even cosider reinstating Remeron into this hyperactive brain? I feel like it will at least help me sleep or do I somehow try to ride this out? I am over 2 years off the Rem.

I could really use some advice.

Hi 'remsux' well done for being off remeron for that long.After 2 years it must be the height of frustration for you to be thinking of going back on it.

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.

• Moderator Emeritus

remsux,

I moved the topic you started in the symptoms forum to your introduction thread because it was related to your own situation.  Please use this thread to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want. If you bookmark or follow it, you will be able to find it easily.

I'm sorry you are having a wave of increased symptoms. When did the tinnitus start? Or do you mean it suddenly got worse?

I doubt that trying reinstatement 2 years out would work, I tried it when I was over two years off lexapro and it didn't go well.

I'm also in protracted withdrawal, 5 years off Lexapro and 28 months drug free. My recovery has been very slow and I've only really noticed significant improvement in the last 2 months, but I'm still getting fairly bad waves and when they hit, even though they are not as bad as the waves from 2 years ago, its still difficult, but they pass.

My advice is to keep hanging in there. I made the mistake of trying to reinstate after being out too long, I also tried taking another anti-depressant and reinstating ADHD meds. None of it helped, they all made symptoms worse and it set my recovery back. But I didn't know any better at the time, I didn't realize I was in withdrawal.

... how long were you on a benzo and Remeron for, when did you start taking these drugs?

I agree with the others, hold off on reinstating if you can.  Have a look through this link for some ideas:

Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Remsux, how are you doing?  We haven't heard from you in some time!  

Happy New Year to you!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.