Jeff1025: Two SSRi's and Trazodone, A little worried..

Jeff1025

Hi, my names Jeff, my psych recently decided to switch me from Prozac 40mg, to Luvox. However he is doing what he called a cross taper, where I will start by going down on my Prozac from 40mg, to 20mg in the morning, and then starting at 10mg of luvox at night. I also want to mention i take 25mg of trazodone at night. I'm worried about this because it seems like too much and a precursor for serotonin syndrome. Would i experience much withdrawal if I just cut out the prozac all together and made the switch to the Luvox? I've taken trazodone and prozac for years together but I'm very worried about adding another SSR and would rather just flat out switch them, any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Jeff

• Moderator Emeritus

We generally see people doing better with the kind of transition your doctor suggests--gradually switching from one to the other, rather than just suddenly completely stopping one and switching to the other. 

Then again, stopping and starting and changing meds overall tends to lead to trouble, and when people get to the point where "the meds aren't working" and their docs start that switching and changing and experimenting thing, it's often the beginning of that downward spiral that is so well documented in Anatomy of an Epidemic and which nightmare many of us here have lived through.

That said, "how to take meds" is not really our area of expertise here. I think there are quite a few forums online for people who like their meds and want to stay on them. "Crazymeds" comes to mind. You might get more info there.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

Welcome. jeff.

Why did your doctor decide to put you on Luvox? It is not a popular antidepressant. Please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluvoxamine and drugs.com

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator

Not used much.

Luvox has a well-documented propensity to withdrawal syndrome.

jeff, this is a site for going off drugs. Its sounds like your intention is to continue on psychiatric drugs. We don't have much to say about adding drugs to one's drug history.

I suggest you look at drugs.com for information about side effects, etc.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys, Today after 8 years of prozac I was given a new drug called brintellix, my instructions are to wean myself off the prozac for 2 days and start up the Brintellix. 

I have severe panic disorder and am wondering if anyone can shed any light on anxiety and brintellix. I've read some conflicting stories that say it can cause anxiety, rather than help treat the symptoms. Does anyone have experience with this particular drug? Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Jeff

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi  Jeff , welcome to the site.

I'm not familiar with Brintellix , but as it's an ssri (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) I imagine it works in a similar way

to all the ones I've been on.

If our systems are sensitized , either naturally or from years of antidepressant use , there is reasonable chance that we will

have an adverse reaction to this class of drugs.  Many people experience this as anxiety or panic , or a range of other 

unpleasant symptoms.

What dose of Prozac are you taking?    Also , what symptoms are you having now that might be resolved by switching meds?

If you click "Follow This Topic" at the top right , you'll receive an email each time someone posts.

One of the moderators or Admin. will be better able to advise on cross-tapering , if that's what you decide to do.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks for the reply! I'm currently on 40mg of prozac and am just trying to have a medicine that works more towards controlling my panic disorder. I'm already on klonopin and it no longer does anything for me, its horrible! I was either going to try this or luvox, I'm just questioning this drug since it's so new. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Jeff.    If you can , could you fill in your signature including Klonopin , so it's easy to see at a glance.

You may have reached oppositional tolerance  ("poop out")  with both Prozac and klonopin , so they're not working any more.

One of the mods. will be along soon with information and suggestions.

:)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi Jeff and welcome, so sorry your having such a rough time. I just did some research on Brintellix, it's a nasty drug that effects 6 different receptor sites in the brain, I wouldn't take it if my life depended on it. I would tear up that prescription and run like the wind!I'm not a moderator just someone who has been dealing with protracted celexa withdrawal, didn't know and went on the psych drug merry go round. Benzos are evil little pills, I went through a horrible rapid in hospital detox 2 years ago and still have lingering effects along with protracted ssri withdrawal and I was on benzos for only 4 months. I agree with Fresh It's sounds like that you have built a tolerance to klonopin and pop out from Prozac. These drugs don't ever fix problems just create new ones. What you will learn here is slow and steady wins the race. And don't be surprised if your doctor doesn't support you in your goals to get off the dugs and tapper slowly and might use the line that you are chemically imbalanced and need to be on meds for life and push more in you. There are doctors out there that are aware of the dangers with these meds and will work with patients to slowly wean them off the meds, you just have to find them. Or your doctor might support you. I wish I would have known and have been informed back in 2011 about the dangers of these drugs before my obgyn while I was pregnant just told me to stop cold turkey taking 20mgs of celexa that I had been taking for 10 years. But I have a healthy little boy to show for it. Whatever you decide to do you will get a lot of support and information here. Welcome to the group!????

Spring of 1998 place on birth control pills for irregular bleeding, high testosterone and one ovarian cyst, stayed on until April 2004, told to take hormone holiday, conceived first son 4 months later-VERY BIG SUPRISE, was told wouldn't be able to have childern or would need reproductive doctor to help. Got pregnant again 2006 with second son easily, then was on/off birthcontrol again until October 2011, concieved 3rd son in October 2011(tried many times to get pregant again when 2nd child was close to 2yrs, hormone problems started again after 2nd child, along with thyroid enlargement.

Spring of 2001 celexa 10 mgs-rx'd by pcp for complaints of chronic fatigue, irritability and weight gain, stayed on until June 2005, switched to Lexapro 20mgs for PPD, stayed on Lexapro 6-7 months, couldn't afford to see psyh dr. and Lexapro, saw PCP switched back to 20mgs celexa in 2007, remained on until November 2011, was c/t off due to 3rd pregnancy, baby had umbilical cord defect, seemed ok during pregnancy, except for crying jags here and there. Our miracle baby was born July 20th 2012, healthy except with reflux. One month later the anxiety,restlessness,horrible crying, insomnia and the deepest depression ever. That started the psyh drug nightmare-benzo's,antidepressants, sleeping pills, mood stablizers. Nothing help made me worse, doctors just kept changing the meds frequently. 4 mental health hospitalizations, rapid detox off benzos Jan 2013, horrible withdrawal and still suffering withdrawal symptoms NO ONE BELIEVES ME, I feel like ive been on one consistant drug withdrawal for the past 2 years

January 2014 slow titrate up of lexapro to 20 mgs-horrible side effects!!, was just rapidly taper by current pysh off to pursade me to try an MAOI-no way!!! Was told should consider ECT

I have been on 3 mg of brintellix since September 2014. Brintelix was prescribed to help minimize Effexor wds. Not sure if it has helped. When I first started the B I had a lot of nausea dizziness and feeling faint all the time. I am very sensitive to these kinds of meds so I'm not sure if you would feel as bad as I have.

My doctor prescribed B because it has 66 hours half live as opposed to effexor 5-6 hours. Keep us posted as to what you decide to do.

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the site. Our fundamental purpose is to provide support to people who want to withdraw from psychotropic medication. We are not doctors and we don't recommend which drugs to take or not take to address issues. Our members will have their experiences and views.

I am not convinced of the efficacy of medications for depression and anxiety, particularly in the long term, I'm skeptical of the practices of the pharmaceutical industry and concerned about the poor knowledge of many medical practitioners. On this basis, I (and many others) are choosing non drug answers to our conditions and symptoms.

You are welcome to read and participate in discussions but please understand the perspective we bring to these drugs and our inability to engage in conversations about your drs prescribing practice

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Administrator

Welcome, Jeff.

Please note this is a site for going off psychiatric drugs. We do not offer any recommendations about trying new psychiatric drugs except for the purpose of "bridging" to enable tapering.

There are many sites, such as depression.com, where people compare notes about their drug cocktails.

Please let us know if you need tapering advice.

Yesterday read a massive thread about Brintellix on crazyboards.org, which is a site for people who are in perpetual doomed quests to find the right drug cocktail.

It is a familiar pattern on sites like that...someone announces that they are going to drug Brand New, Unique Psychotropic, and there is great enthusiasm from other members. First user to get a prescription is a rock star, and live-blogs a blow-by-blow of their experiences. First says they THINK it is working, then a few days later, they "can't tell if it is working," (But think maybe it is), and gradually mentions of side effects outweigh the original wishful thinking, then disillusionment and discontinuation.

Dozens of people eventually tried Brintellix, and it sounds just horrible. Horrible side effects, lack of benefit. The contrast to the "clinical trials" that report no serious side effects, and efficacy at least as good as older antidepressants, is stark.

At least three people said their doctors told them they could quit Effexor cold turkey and start the Brintellix...criminal ignorance.

Main side effects I saw were heavy nausea for weeks, insomnia and/or vivid nightmares, followed by increased anxiety, increased depression, and anger/irritability/rage.

If you have made it to this forum, you are headed in the right direction. The people on pro-drug boards are on "stacks" of drugs of all classes, swapping them often, and not doing well at all. (And yes, they call their drug list a "stack.")

The same thing happened with Agomelatine/Valdoxan, touted as a new and unique depression treatment that helps people sleep and lacks the side effects of the other antidepressants. Excitement built, a few users get to try it, try to like it, post updates of increasing disillusionment, and finally go off it and...try something else.

It is a crying shame...just reading those threads would scare any sane person into avoiding psych drugs forever.

So, I second the opinion: avoid like the plague -- on principle, and based on what is said about it elsewhere.

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

Hi all, I know this isn't the main purpose for the site but if you could indulge for one question id really appreciate it. My pdoc put me on Luvox after 7 years of Prozac, I took my first dose today and it does not agree with me! I only took 50mg and I already want to go back to Prozac and then taper off that completely. My question is if I took Luvox 50mg at 3pm today will it be safe to go back to Prozac 40mg the night? This is until I see my

Doctor again.

I'm very scared of setetonin syndrome so I don't want to risk that. Any information would be so much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Jeff

• Administrator

Hi, Jeff. I merged all your topics. Your latest post wasn't appropriate for the Tapering forum.

If you look back on your own history, you can see the risks in switching drugs. Every change batters your nervous system.

It doesn't really seem that you are looking for tapering information, so I'll keep this short: From what I can tell, you can switch back to Prozac when your next SSRI dose is due.

These questions should be directed towards your doctor. They have after-hours answering services for situations like these.

• 8 months later...

Hey Guys, I am off prozac officially as of the 31st at 2am. So that's going on about 72 hours. Today the brain zaps have started. I can deal with them, I've dealt with them before but it's been so long. My question is,  can these lead to something more serious like seizures??????? 

Everything i've read is conflicting, some people with epilepsy have them, of course I dont have them unless I'm coming off an SSRI. I just want to be safe, any information would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeff

I've had them for 2.5 years. They've been harmless for me and I hardly have them anymore.. almost never actually these days... I haven't heard of anybody being hurt by them or them causing a seizure. Unfortunately no one knows why they really happen either. 

Paxil from 2005 to July 2013. 30mg. 

Very short taper. 

• Administrator

Jeff, you went off too fast. Please post further questions in your Intro topic Jeff1025: Two SSRi's and Trazodone, A little worried..

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jeff , this should be joined to your introduction thread.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7391-jeff1025-two-ssris-and-trazodone-a-little-worried/

Please can you fill in your signature for us with your drug history.

(simutaneous posting with Altostrata ;) )

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jeff,

Just merged your topic from tapering.  As a general idea, this thread is where you discuss things about your situation, and other threads are for more general comments on things. 

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.