SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Mushroom Supplements: Lion's Mane, Reishi, Shiitake, AHCC

BentBuddha

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-stamets/mushroom-memory_b_1725583.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

Mushrooms provide a vast array of potential medicinal compounds. Many mushrooms -- such as portobello, oyster, reishi and maitake -- are well-known for these properties, but the lion's mane mushroom, in particular, has drawn the attention of researchers for its notable nerve-regenerative properties.

Lion's mane mushrooms are not your classic looking cap-and-stem variety. These globular-shaped mushrooms sport cascading teeth-like spines rather than the more common gills. From these spines, white spores emerge. Lion's mane mushrooms also have other common names: sheep's head, bear's head and the Japanese yamabushitake. I like the clever name "pom pom blanc" -- a reference to their resemblance to the white pom-poms cheerleaders use. The Latin name for lion's mane is Hericium erinaceus; both names mean "hedgehog."*

2012-08-08-Images1and2.jpg

Lion's mane mushrooms are increasingly sold by gourmet food chains. This nutritious mushroom is roughly 20 percent protein, and one of the few that can taste like lobster or shrimp (Stamets, 2005). Lion's mane is best when caramelized in olive oil, deglazed with saké wine, and then finished with butter to taste. Lion's mane can be bitter if not cooked until crispy along the edges. It takes some practice to elicit their full flavor potential.

Lion's mane mushrooms are increasingly studied for their neuroprotective effects. Two novel classes of Nerve Growth Factors (NGFs) -- molecules stimulating the differentiation and re-myelination of neurons -- have been discovered in this mushroom so far. These cyathane derivatives are termed "hericenones" and "erinacines." The levels of these compounds can vary substantially between strains, based on the measurements our team has conducted.

About a dozen studies have been published on the neuroregenerative properties of lion's mane mushrooms since 1991, when Dr. Kawagishi first identified NGFs in Japanese samples. Since his original discovery, in vitro and in vivo tests have confirmed that hericenones and erinacines stimulate nerve regeneration. In 2009, researchers at the Hokuto Corporation and the Isogo Central and Neurosurgical Hospital published a small clinical study. Giving lion's mane to 30 Japanese patients with mild cognitive impairment resulted in significant benefits for as long as they consumed the mushrooms:

"The subjects of the Yamabushitake group took four 250 mg tablets containing 96 percent of Yamabushitake dry powder three times a day for 16 weeks. After termination of the intake, the subjects were observed for the next four weeks. At weeks eight, 12 and 16 of the trial, the Yamabushitake group showed significantly increased scores on the cognitive function scale compared with the placebo group. The Yamabushitake group's scores increased with the duration of intake, but at week four after the termination of the 16 weeks intake, the scores decreased significantly." (Mori, 2009)

Recently, mice were injected with neurotoxic peptides in an experiment to assess the effects of lion's mane on the type of amyloid plaque formation seen in Alzheimer's patients. The mice were then challenged in a standard "Y" maze, designed for testing memory. Mice fed with a normal diet were compared to those supplemented with lion's mane mushrooms. As the peptide-induced plaque developed, the mice lost the ability to memorize the maze. When these memory-impaired mice were fed a diet containing 5 percent dried lion's mane mushrooms for 23 days, the mice performed significantly better in the Y maze test. Interestingly, the mice regained another cognitive capacity, something comparable to curiosity, as measured by greater time spent exploring novel objects compared to familiar ones.

The reduction of beta amyloid plaques in the brains of mushroom-fed mice vs. the mice not fed any mushrooms was remarkable. The formation of amyloid plaques is what many researchers believe is a primary morphological biomarker associated with Alzheimer's. Plaques linked to beta amyloid peptide inflame brain tissue, interfere with healthy neuron transmission, and are indicated in nerve degeneration.

The medical community is bracing for an increase of patients with Alzheimer's and senile dementia as the baby boomer population ages. Mortality trends related to Alzheimer's are outpacing death rates of many other diseases. This makes preventive and curative treatments of age-related cognitive diseases hot subjects of research. In the past 10 years, deaths from Alzheimer's disease have surged roughly 66 percent, while deaths from other primary diseases have generally declined.

The influence of lion's mane influence on neurological functions may also have other added benefits -- making you feel good. In another small clinical study (n=30), post-menopausal women who consumed lion's mane baked into cookies vs. those without showed less anxiety and depression yet improved in their ability to concentrate (Nagano et al., 2010).

2012-08-08-Image3.jpg

Dusty Yao with lion's mane cultivated three months from the time the wild specimen, featured in photograph, was collected.

Is this data conclusive thus far? No.

Is this data suggestive of positive outcomes? Absolutely.

In another small Japanese study with a randomized sample of 30 women, ingesting lion's mane showed that "HE intake has the possibility to reduce depression and anxiety, and these results suggest a different mechanism from NGF-enhancing action of H. erinaceus." (Nagano et al. 2010).

In light of the numerous diseases related to neurodegeneration, lion's mane deserves more clinical attention. If lion's mane enhances memory and is an antidepressant, can consuming this mushroom alter the course of Alzheimer's and other neurodegenerative diseases? Could this mushroom help Parkinson's patients or those with multiple sclerosis, or maybe maintain your mental acumen as you age? Lion's mane is a relatively inexpensive, easily-cultivated fungal food that may prove to be therapeutic in ways beyond being tasty.

Lion's mane may be our first "smart" mushroom. It is a safe, edible fungus that appears to confer cognitive benefits on our aging population. Unfortunately, lion's mane is not available in most grocery stores. But you can buy kits to grow them at home, and organic lion's mane supplements are available at some health food stores. If you are skilled enough and looking for adventure, you can forage for them by hunting in the hardwood forests of North America, Europe and Asia during the summer and fall.**

2012-08-08-Images4and5.jpg

Left: Fresh, organically grown lion's mane ready for sale. Right: Close up of spore-producing spines.

*Hedgehog is a name more commonly associated with Hydnum species, specifically the edible Hyndum repandum.

**Before consuming any wild mushroom, make positively sure that it is accurately identified. For a list of mycological societies, which may be able to help you, go to the North American Mycological Association website: www.namyco.org.

References:

Kawagishi, H., Ando, M., Sakamoto, H., Yoshida S., Ojima, F., Ishiguro, Y., Ukai, N., Fukukawa, S. 1991. "Hericenone C, D and E, stimulators of nerve growth factor (NGF) synthesis from the mushroom Hericium erinaceum." Tetrahedron Lett 32, 4561-4564.

Ma, Bing-Ji , Jin-Wen Shen, Hai-You Yu, Yuan Ruan, Ting-Ting Wu & Xu Zhao, 2010. "Hericenones and erinacines: stimulators of nerve growth factor (NGF) biosynthesis in Hericium erinaceus." Mycology: An International Journal on Fungal Biology. 1(2): 92-98.

Mori, K., Inatomi, S., Ouchi, K. Azumi, Y and Tuchida T. 2009. "Improving effects of the mushroom Yamabushitake (Hericium erinaceus) on mild cognitive impairment: a double blinded, placebo controlled clinical trial." Phytother Res. 23:367-372.

Mori, K., Obara, Y., Moriya, T., Inatomi, S., Nakahata, N. 2011. "Effects of Hericium erinaceus on amyloid β(25-35) peptide-induced learning and memory deficits in mice." Biomed Res. 32(1):67-72.

Nagano, M., Shimizu, K., Kondo, R., Hayashi, C., Sato, D., Kitagawa, K., Ohnuki, K. 2010. "Reduction of depression and anxiety by 4 weeks Hericium erinaceus intake." Biomed Res. 31(4):231-7.

Stamets, P., "Notes on nutritional properties of culinary-medicinal mushrooms." International Journal of Medicinal Mushrooms. 2005; 7:109-116.

Thal, L.J., Kantarci, K., Reiman, E.M., Klunk, W.E., Weiner, M.W., Zetterberg, H., Galasko, D., Praticò, D., Griffin, S., Schenk, D., Siemers, E. 2006. "The role of biomarkers in clinical trials for Alzheimer disease." 20(1):6-15.

For more by Paul Stamets, click here.

For more on natural health, click here.

• 1 year later...

I've got a question for any of you who might be familiar with this, or might have some knowledge to help me decide on something. 

I'm currently med free for several months now (Effexor, with Celexa bridge, finished about a month and a half ago). Only taking fish oil, an occasional vitamin B and multi, with a half a magnesium at night. I'll admit, I haven't been religious with my supplements lately, and I'm doing quite well despite that. I am considering a different supplement though that I've had in the past (but pre-antidepressant meds, and issues). Reishi mushroom (aka Ganoderma). This stuff was SO awesome for me previously, energy was fantastic, slept incredibly well, felt healthy and my mood was great, but, thanks to everything involved with my bout with Effexor (and the other meds and such in my signature), I'm pretty paranoid about what I'm taking, especially when it is a little....different. 

Have any of you ever tried this supplement during of after a bout with antidepressants? I still feel that the drugs made a bit of a mess of me, and I'm not completely back to normal (but still getting closer to it!! Feeling great in comparison to even a couple of months ago!). I just don't want to toss an herb into the mix that could go badly for reasons I don't yet know or haven't thought of. I've read a fair bit on various sites, but honestly, I've read enought through this community and would weigh any personal experience from here a bit more than "random internet guy who may be selling a product". Plus, I've heard no real downsides to it, so that makes me a little nervous as well (aside from not recommended for people on blood thinners...). Any input anyone? 

Plethora of pain killers, muscle relaxants and other scary stuff for neck injury, featuring medications such as Diclofenac, Celebrex, L-Dopa (BAD experiment by the doc), cyclobenzaprine, Baclofen, and several others. Those ended, then Effeor XR, 150mg, started 3 years ago....started tapering 1.5 years ago, 150 (maybe 112.5, can't remember) 75 to 37.5, a month or more stabilizing at each dose..... to 37.5 every second day (for ~2 weeks), then off. Celexa 20mg (lasted 3 days), Celexa 10mg ~1month, Celexa 5mg ~1month. Currently med free as of September 28, 2014 except occasional Advil, Benadryl or Cyclobenzaprine and Nuva Ring birth control (perhaps irrelevant). 
Current supplements: 1000mg fish oil, Magnesium +D, B50 complex, Multi vitamin

I've taken it and didn't have problems with it.  Mind you that was several years after reacting to drugs, after the acute withdrawal phase had elapsed.  Prior to that I was sensitive to almost everything, so maybe I would have had an issue with it.  Hard to say. 

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

Well, I do find it encouraging that someone who has had an AD, and a past reaction to a med and (albeit after the sensitivity went away), didn't have problems with it.

I've been planning on going to a naturopath with some supplement questions (this one included) but I want to wait until I have my blood tests so I can take results with me....but I would like to start taking the ganoderma/reichi sooner than when the blood tests come back (chances are that'll be after Christmas). I just remember how awesome I felt when I was taking it previously....but can't help but be nervous. If it works like it did before though, I'll likely find it unnecessary to go to a natuopath. 

Plethora of pain killers, muscle relaxants and other scary stuff for neck injury, featuring medications such as Diclofenac, Celebrex, L-Dopa (BAD experiment by the doc), cyclobenzaprine, Baclofen, and several others. Those ended, then Effeor XR, 150mg, started 3 years ago....started tapering 1.5 years ago, 150 (maybe 112.5, can't remember) 75 to 37.5, a month or more stabilizing at each dose..... to 37.5 every second day (for ~2 weeks), then off. Celexa 20mg (lasted 3 days), Celexa 10mg ~1month, Celexa 5mg ~1month. Currently med free as of September 28, 2014 except occasional Advil, Benadryl or Cyclobenzaprine and Nuva Ring birth control (perhaps irrelevant). 

If you are going to take it just make sure you start with a tiny dose and don't mix it with anything, that way if it is causing a problem you'll know right away.  Hope it goes well for you! 

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

Thanks UnfoldingSky. I'm going to make sure I'm not taking anything else when I try it, including stopping my other supplements (I miss them occasionally....which isn't the end of the world, just feel kinda tired without my vitamin B). My husband is doing some research to decide which brand is the best quality, and we're going to order some (he'd used it as well in the past and had great results too, though never had any significant meds). Fingers crossed it does what I'm hoping!! Most brands seem to suggest taking 3 (or more) a day...definitely starting with just one. 

I need to get some more too.

When you were taking it before was it for a health problem or just to boost general well being? I have severe fatigue since reacting to drugs which hasn't yet been diagnosed properly, I wonder if it might help... 

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if anyone here has tried this.  In severe acute withdrawal I was so sensitive to everything but later on could tolerate Reishi tea so wondering if maybe I might be able to stand this too.

It's said it helps with nerve regeneration and memory. I am reluctant to buy it though not knowing if it might help, so any feedback from people who have taken it is welcome.

• 3 months later...

Anyone taking Shiitake or AHCC supplements?

...and if you are/have, how are they influencing your wellbeing?

• 2,5 years of slowly tapering down Cymbalta from 60 mg. Then tried going from 8,44 mg to 1 mg in 8 days. (April 1st 2015). That's when the real hell started. Reinstated. Didn't help. I was added Ativan (2 mg 2 times a day for relentless akathisia that started with jumping Cymbalta). For years had been taking Zopitin 7,5 mg and Stilnox 10 mg for I had not been able to sleep naturally since the 1st day I started Cymbalta). Used to take Xanax occasionally.
  • All of the above were stopped cold turkey when I was hospitalized in the beginning of May 2015.
  • Prior to that I have been on and off the whole spectrum of different AD-s for 15 years (since I was 17).

My introduction.

Tapering:

• Olanzapine (starting point 2,1 mg): Jan 2016  /---/ April 2018 0 mg. (From 2,1 mg to 0 mg in 1y 3mo).
  • Diazepam (starting at 5 mg) : switching to liquid May 2018;  4,6 mg (June 2018) /---/ 0 mg (Feb 2020) (From 10 to 5 - nobody knows, from 5 to 0 in 1 y 10 mo)
  • Valdoxan (starting at 25 mg): switching to liquid (Feb 2019) /---/ 0 mg (July 2020)

• Moderator Emeritus

My husband was on these for his Prostate Cancer.  He took a pretty aggressive dose for 1.5 years.  

The cancer advanced (or the screening techniques did) and the aggressive cancer still had to be surgically removed.

I understand it helps with inflammation, but have not tried it myself.  As it's expensive we will not be continuing.  We frequently used Puritan's Pride, NOW, and later VitaCost brands.  No harm was done, but it wasn't a withdrawal situation.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 6 months later...

I've been taking a medicinal mushroom blend (reishi, maitake, shiitake, coriolus, agaricus) for some months now, and am wondering if I should suspend use during this time. (I've just reinstated a very small dose of Cymbalta as per my sig.) Looking through this post, I'm not seeing any red flags indicating I should discontinue. Does anyone else have experiences to share on this topic?

1997 Dabbled in Xanax until being prescribed Zoloft and Buspar

1999 Discontinued Buspar

2000 Standard medical taper of Zoloft

2003 Began Prozac

2005 Switched to Cymbalta 60mg; 2011 increased to 90mg

January 2015 Began taper of Cymbalta <1mg every 3 days; held fast at 30 mg for a month in June/July, then <1mg every two days

8 September 2015 Cold turkey off the last 5mg

Struggling with monstrous irritability, sadness, and rage from about ten days after I hit zero. Came back to this site and took everything much more seriously.

20 October 2015 Reinstated 10 beads of Cymbalta daily; increased to 13 beads 27 October (approx. 1.75mg daily)

Other daily supplements: vit D 4000iu, iron 25mg with B complex, fish oil, magnesium

I just found out about this. I haven't really done any research on it yet, just wanted to share. The mushroom is called Lion's Mane. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hericium_erinaceus

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.

Apparently it also helps depression and anxiety: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20834180

I'm ordering some right now. I will let you know if it helps.

I have tried Lion's Mane but I stoped taking it because I wasn't sure could it worsen my condition somehow in long run. I took it about two weeks and I didn't notice any good or bad effects in that short period. If someone had positive experiental information how it works in SSRI WD I will try it again.

I'm not a native english speaker, sorry!

My history with Sertraline:

November 2009 - September 2013: most of the time my dose was 100 mg but when I stoped taking it first time my dose was 25 mg.

Unfornately I decided to start taking Sertraline again in April 2014. My new dose was 50 mg.

I took my last pill of Sertraline in November 2014. Then my dose was 25 mg.

Symptoms: PSSD, anhedonia and emotional anesthesia

• Moderator Emeritus

What I have read about Lion's Mane and nerve regrowth actually sounds somewhat disturbing.  

It might be a healthy food for a healthy person, and could possibly help Traumatic Brain Injury, Parkinson's, dementia, and other conditions.

But the thing that is wrong withdrawal is stimulating Nerve Growth Factor (NGF); it's exactly the opposite of what someone in withdrawal wants.

I believe that one of the reasons the symptoms is that nerves are regenerating naturally in withdrawal, and new nerves are raw and ragged and need to "learn" how to function in the system.  When the system is compromised (as in psych drug withdrawal) you don't want to change your natural nerve regeneration rate.

If you imagine a radio satellite array, and it's struck by lightning - each of those relay points is a point of pain or symptom.  (I know, metaphor, but bear with me).  IF there are MORE points on the grid, that would be more symptoms, more points of pain to deal with.  I think Nerve protection may be fine - but nerve generation - maybe not so good.

Isn't it hard enough?  Without adding more nerves into the mix?  I think you chose wisely, Sampo.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Yes, makes sense. 

• 1 year later...

What I have read about Lion's Mane and nerve regrowth actually sounds somewhat disturbing.

It might be a healthy food for a healthy person, and could possibly help Traumatic Brain Injury, Parkinson's, dementia, and other conditions.

But the thing that is wrong withdrawal is stimulating Nerve Growth Factor (NGF); it's exactly the opposite of what someone in withdrawal wants.

I believe that one of the reasons the symptoms is that nerves are regenerating naturally in withdrawal, and new nerves are raw and ragged and need to "learn" how to function in the system. When the system is compromised (as in psych drug withdrawal) you don't want to change your natural nerve regeneration rate.

If you imagine a radio satellite array, and it's struck by lightning - each of those relay points is a point of pain or symptom. (I know, metaphor, but bear with me). IF there are MORE points on the grid, that would be more symptoms, more points of pain to deal with. I think Nerve protection may be fine - but nerve generation - maybe not so good.

Isn't it hard enough? Without adding more nerves into the mix? I think you chose wisely, Sampo.

Was researching mushrooms and came across this older thread and couldn't help but respond.

This 'warning' is entirely speculative, not referencing anything even remotely factual. Do you have any evidence based info to support this theory?

I've been taking Reishi supplement now for about a month and feel better than I have felt in the 2 years I've been in withdrawal.

Although these forums are WONDERFUL as a place for peer support, I see so many examples of completely uninformed and speculative answers based on flawed logic and ZERO facts. It's a shame because in withdrawal many of us are very afraid and possibly missing opportunities for aid because of reading misinformed fear-based opinions disguised as information.

I'VE HAD WONDERFUL RESULTS WITH REISHI MUSHROOMS--and take them because I did a lot of research and made an informed decision based real research and facts.

EXAMINE.com has been a very valuable resource for me.

On Zoloft 150mg-200mg from 1991-Nov. 2014. Weaned off over 40+ weeks (too fast unbeknownst to me at the time) Protracted withdrawal began in Jan. 2015 Currently weaning off Lyrica (pregabalin). Started Apr. 2015. titrated up to 400mg/day. <p>"The quality of your life is determined by the amount of uncertainty you can comfortably live with" -- Anthony Robbins

I take a lot of medicinal mushrooms now and Reishi is one of the main ones. Of note however is the first time I took Reishi it made me trip big time we're talking feeling like I was on LSD. Again I didn't tolerate anything for a few years. Now medicinal mushrooms are fundamentally important part of my process. With reishi mushrooms I'm lucky because they grow locally and I have a friend who's a forager so I'm supplied with large quantities of free local reishi.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Also lion's mane is one of my main ones and foods that help regrow nerves and neurons excetera are very important but yes early on it was all way too much

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Lastly of note there are times when I actually feel my brain growing as a result of the foods and supplements I eat. That sensation of brain growth is not entirely comfortable and sometimes renders me inert and horizontal needing a lot of rest. I have learned to discern the difference between Growing Pains and what is essentially too much. All of it was once a reaction that I couldn't tolerate. Getting better requires biting the bullet sometimes I have found. But only when you're ready can't be done prematurely.

Thanks for the perspective GiaK.

Gonna try Lion's Mane at some point.

I've really enjoyed the effects of Reishi. Just taking a 'cheap' brand right now (Organika) but have read that there's a huge quality range with reishi and just ordered some fancy stuff at almost $100 for 60 capsules (Mikei Red Reishi Essence). I'm interested to see if it makes a big difference or not.

I've also been taking Rhodiola, Bacopa, and Ashwagandha with very good results. Any thoughts on those herbs?

I'm really grateful to have found the 'adaptogen' family of herbs. I'm in my last stretch of weaning off of Lyrica (currently taking 20mg per day) and can't believe how much easier the wd and restabilizing on new doses has gotten. It's nice to find that herbs (unlike pharmaceuticals) are improving the quality of my life without a deficit to pay back later in the form of negative side effects. Almost too good to be true.

Cheers

On Zoloft 150mg-200mg from 1991-Nov. 2014. Weaned off over 40+ weeks (too fast unbeknownst to me at the time) Protracted withdrawal began in Jan. 2015 Currently weaning off Lyrica (pregabalin). Started Apr. 2015. titrated up to 400mg/day. <p>"The quality of your life is determined by the amount of uncertainty you can comfortably live with" -- Anthony Robbins

Yes I take all those adaptogens and more -- as well-- again there were years that I didn't tolerate any of those herbs. This is however the way to rebuild the endocrine system as well as the nervous system these are the substances that I'm finding helpful there are others as well. I have found colostrum helpful and various Marine algae helpful too. Most notably Chlorella and Marine phytoplankton. Also it's been very important to know when to take them and when to take breaks. They all offer slightly different advantages and when we have Global damage to our systems it seems rotating through a lot of these different substances is very helpful. Although one needs to be very careful too.

Great. Thank you!

the other thing that's helped a whole lot with bringing everything together is deep remineralization...

I write about that here: Remineralization…a good thing to do in preparation for drug withdrawal (as well as for general well-being) – Everything Matters: Beyond Meds https://beyondmeds.com/2017/01/22/remineralization/

there are so many *very important* pieces to my process...I never know where to start!! (when sharing info...because it's really different for everyone...when and if some factor is important etc) 

Fantastic. Thanks so much. This is invaluable stuff....

Hey Gia,

If you don't mind sharing, I'm wondering what brand(s) of Shilajit you take. I've been researching it on your recommendation and am reading a lot about how the vast majority of products are either poor quality or even dangerous with toxic fillers. I've found a brand called PURBLACK that looks reputable but I thought I'd check with you to see what you have to say.

As always, thanks for your guidance.

yes, that's true. 

I've used two brands that I carefully researched...the first was highly recommended by Paul Pitchford, the author of Healing with Whole Foods...

that's from http://www.authenticshilajit.com/

the other which I buy from now because it's far more affordable and I can take more of it is this one: http://amzn.to/2lxnkaM

I've gotten to know one of the women that works for them and they sent me lab reports and told me how they collect it etc. It was also highly recommended by the guy at the superman diet website...he's a bit radical in his detox methods but he does carefully research stuff. 

Thanks Monica!

• 2 years later...

Did lion's mane help?

Edited by ChessieCat
removed quote

APs/AD: 2.5 months Risperdal 1-2mg for 10 days Aug 21-31 2018, Abilify Maintena 400mg (an injection that lasts for a month) late December 2018 to early January 2019, Zyprexa 5mg for 22 days, first time taking zyprexa was in mid September of  2018 for 14 days the second time  for 10 days was November 8 - November 16, 2018; Mirtazapine for 8 days, Gabapentin for 10 days, Propranolol for 4 days, Prozac for 14 days. Oct. 2- 29, 2020: Depakote 500 mg for 14 days October 13-27; haldol 5 mg for 14 days Ocotober 13-27 ; cogentin 1 mg for 4 days; invega shot that is a 1 time shot that lasts for a month. 

Supplements:  Omega-3 Fish Oil

Note: I am not a medical doctor and all comments made by me are my personal opinions and are not based off of scientific fact and or testing. 

My latest experience with medicinal mushrooms is that they were extraordinary helpful for a while and then I started reacting quite radically. I've gone through a few cycles of this now . It turns out that they enliven a hardcore glutamate sensitivity. I'm suspecting that as I back off glutamate for some time, that's including no meat at all because it triggers me at the moment, I will heal the glutamate sensitivity just as I healed the histamine sensitivity by avoiding High histamine foods for a few years.

It seems to me as I mindfully avoid and then add these Foods I heal my sensitivity slowly it's been a decade after all.

Anyway lion's mane, Reishi, cordycep, maitake, shiitake, and really any mushroom at all during critically appropriate times have been awesomely helpful and I also need to know when to stop and take breaks. There has been a learning curve involved -- a very steep and long oneg.

Anyway I'm a weirdo with that yo yo stuff going on but I know a lot of us have sensitivity so I'm just sharing this.

• 8 months later...

"Active Hexose Correlated Compound (AHCC) is an extract derived from Shiitake, as well as other species of Basidiomycete family of mushrooms. AHCC is a mixture of polysaccharides, amino acids, lipids, and minerals. Oligosaccharides make up about 74 percent of AHCC."

Does anyone with experience here know if polyshaccharides or lipids affect us? 

I would like to stimulate my immune system but am scared to death of a setback. I'm not stable or healed yet. 

1990s-early 2000s: On and off different AD medicines like Paxil, Zoloft, Prozac, and Lexapro.

2004: Klonopin .75-1 mg a day for anxiety.

2012: Started micro-taper off Klonopin. Used Benadryl or Doxylamine for sleep nightly. Melatonin. Ate clean and did exercise.

2014: Finished micro-taper with very little PAWS. No more Klonopin.  Started fish oil, probiotics, vitamins, and curcumin.  

November 2016: ADHD medicines: Vyvanse (60 mg), Dexedrine (15 mg), Adderall (15 mg), Desoxyn (20 mg) at various times, not at once.

March 2017: Mirtazapine 7.5 mg but immediately went up to 15 mg but then back down to 12, then 7.5 mg. For insomnia, not for depression. Melatonin too.

November 2017: Dropped to 3.75 mg Mirtazapine and eventually started taking it every other day or so.

February 2018: Stopped 3.75 Mirtazapine after ER visit. Stabilized on Klonopin .125 mg as prepare to micro-taper again.Also stopped melatonin after a few years of use (5-20 mg a night). 

February 2019: One year later: The worst is over. Far from back to normal but 24/7 dread and fear adrenaline surges and suicidal ideation are done. Still anxiety, parasthesia, dysuatonomia, tinnitus, and minor insomnia but I'm also a year into my Klonopin taper down to .016 so much of this could be to that. I still have occasional feelings of unease (serotonin) but it's much better than 24/7 doom. I will have a success story and so will you! 

• 1 month later...

I've been taking AHCC for the last 5 days and notice some extra prickling burning acid parasthesia and organic fear creeping in. I can't find anything about it effecting neurotransmitters- especially GABA or glutamate. Perhaps this is just a normal wave as that's been my pattern- windows and waves. I'm not trying to fear monger this stuff as it's very beneficial and I really don't know what's going on yet. I may take a break and see what happens, or I may continue. If anyone has any experience with AHCC I'd love to hear it. I do feel more head pressure and mild anxiety after taking it, but this could be due to the high glutamate content of the aminos in shiitake. I tend to react paradoxical to GABAergics so I hope it's not setting me back from benzo WD. 

1990s-early 2000s: On and off different AD medicines like Paxil, Zoloft, Prozac, and Lexapro.

2004: Klonopin .75-1 mg a day for anxiety.

2012: Started micro-taper off Klonopin. Used Benadryl or Doxylamine for sleep nightly. Melatonin. Ate clean and did exercise.

2014: Finished micro-taper with very little PAWS. No more Klonopin.  Started fish oil, probiotics, vitamins, and curcumin.  

November 2016: ADHD medicines: Vyvanse (60 mg), Dexedrine (15 mg), Adderall (15 mg), Desoxyn (20 mg) at various times, not at once.

March 2017: Mirtazapine 7.5 mg but immediately went up to 15 mg but then back down to 12, then 7.5 mg. For insomnia, not for depression. Melatonin too.

November 2017: Dropped to 3.75 mg Mirtazapine and eventually started taking it every other day or so.

February 2018: Stopped 3.75 Mirtazapine after ER visit. Stabilized on Klonopin .125 mg as prepare to micro-taper again.Also stopped melatonin after a few years of use (5-20 mg a night). 

February 2019: One year later: The worst is over. Far from back to normal but 24/7 dread and fear adrenaline surges and suicidal ideation are done. Still anxiety, parasthesia, dysuatonomia, tinnitus, and minor insomnia but I'm also a year into my Klonopin taper down to .016 so much of this could be to that. I still have occasional feelings of unease (serotonin) but it's much better than 24/7 doom. I will have a success story and so will you! 

• 8 months later...

I take a lot of this—2,000mg Lion's Mane every day (8:1 extract from Nootropics Depot), and have for some time AFTER my taper completed.  I don't know what it would have done during the taper.  Possibly unpredictable.

I have noticed a calmer mood and clearer focus on Lion's Mane.  There is good data on G Scholar/PubMed about NGF/BDNF promotion.  Note that there is also a lot of anecdotal data online about Lion's Mane reducing libido, so it's not without possible drawbacks.

I am not a doctor.  Supplements are unregulated in the U.S.  Always consult a qualified medical professional before taking any substance.

Previously - Escitalopram ("Lexapro"): 03 - 05/2018 - 10mg // 05/2018 - 12/2019 - monthly hyperbolic dose reduction to 0.

I am not a medical doctor.  Always consult a qualified medical professional before taking any substance.

• 1 year later...
On 10/25/2015 at 9:47 PM, bluebalu86 said:

Apparently it also helps depression and anxiety: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20834180

I'm ordering some right now. I will let you know if it helps.

Hi there. I don't know if you still check the SA site but am curious. Did lion's mane work for you? Thinking of ordering it. Thanks for your feedback. 

Summer 2016 - summer 2018: put on Lexapro, going from 5 mg up to 20 mg over the span of the 2 years (had visited shrink for help with obsessive thinking, was not diagnosed with anything in particular, just prescribed Lexapro 15 mins into first session)

Summer 2018: tapered down by 2.5 mg every few weeks

Protracted withdrawal ever since. 0-14 months began with a massive panic attack that landed me in ER, followed by prolonged anxiety, mental fog and a skin rash on my back. Was regularly consuming alcohol as did not know I was in WD. From then onwards, hit with worse myriad symptoms. Currently at 22 months and have electromagnetic sensitivity, brain zaps, brain fog, memory problems (especially name recall), twitch in right eyebrow, daily waking up at 3 or 4 a.m. with fast heartbeats and "sticky" negative memories, suicidal thoughts, rage episodes, temperature dysregulation, physical numbness & weakness, libido loss.   

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy