SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Divided doses of drugs? (take more than once a day)

beans

Maybe this isn't a big deal, but I want to start out on the right foot.

Since celexa doesn't have a huge 1/2 life, maybe it makes sense to take 3 spaced doses a day. Is there any reason why I wouldn't want to do that? Can switching from 1 dose to 3 be done in one day?

Thanks for your input,

beans

Celexa 20 mg  2002
Benzo FREE - Tapered clonazepam 8/11 to 6/13

Began liquid Celexa taper 2/13

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14

too emotional > 2 mg and holding

• Moderator Emeritus

i am not sure of the half life, but if you currently dose once a day and don't have problems, then i would think you could continue as you are as you taper - dosing three times a day sounds like a lot of extra work for no gain....

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

I believe celexa has a 35 or 36 hour half-life. Not really such a short half-life given that normal dosing is every 24 hours.

A further consideration is that one doesn't usually feel the full effects of a dose for some time. Side effects and such, you might. But that's different from half-life.

There are good reasons for dividing doses of benzos throughout the day in some (not all) cases. But they work differently - many have shorter half-lives but there are also other considerations. One usually feels the effects of benzos (and of interdose w/d) fairly quickly. (It does vary with the benzo however!) Both benzos and antidepressants act on the nervous system, but there are big differences.

Do you feel like you're experiencing inter-dose withdrawal with your celexa? If so, I can think of other things that possibly might be causing this. (Other meds you may be taking, for example, if they affect the liver enzymes that metabolize the med.) But usually feeling different throughout the day on SSRIs has more to do with the body's cycling, I think.

I don't think it's advisable to go to tid or even bid dosing with celexa, though Alto has studied more about these things. I think it might just make measuring your small doses as you get low in tapering more difficult, to tell you the truth.

If you decide to go to tid dosing anyway, you should transition it slowly. Not in one day.

But wait and see what Alto or others knowledgeable about this say, OK?

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

P.S. --

I just checked the enzymes that metabolize citalopram, and I don't see that it shares any enzymes with clonazepam, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Are you on any other meds? And are you planning to continue tapering clonazepam while tapering the citalopram (celexa)?

Forgive me if any of this has been covered and addressed in other posts. If so, ignore my questions. I try to keep up but never quite catch all threads or posts.

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

Thanks for responding to my question Brandy and peggy,

Thank you for bringing the enzymes and citalapram to my attention, I haven't read anything yet about it. This could be a reason to take it all in one dose maybe, to give the liver a break? If I understand, worth reading up on the connection.

My questions are for planning purposes, I am stabilized now at full dose 20 mg, getting ready for my real taper.

Since I'm liquid tapering, there is no inconvenience, just 3 drops a day, no problem. Unless it's not advisable, of course, then I'll stick with one.

I have some time to get more feedback about this,

Thanks for your views

Celexa 20 mg  2002

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14

P.S. --

I just checked the enzymes that metabolize citalopram, and I don't see that it shares any enzymes with clonazepam, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Are you on any other meds? And are you planning to continue tapering clonazepam while tapering the citalopram (celexa)?

Forgive me if any of this has been covered and addressed in other posts. If so, ignore my questions. I try to keep up but never quite catch all threads or posts.

I tapered the clonazepam down from 2 mg to .011 mg over the last 17 months. I'll keep tapering indefinitely as it is easy for me and just may give my receptors some extra time to heal. Also the longer I wait to 'jump' off which may really just be a 'step' at this point, maybe the easier it will be on the anti-depressant withdrawal.

Benzo withdrawal was pretty smooth for me, except when I took a GABAergic product by accident, or missed a dose when sick, then my experiences were SEVERE. From no problem to major pain in MINUTES. Luckily those happened rarely.

Now I respect.

I'm looking for all the best rules to follow with a/d tapering.

Celexa 20 mg  2002

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm just wondering if splitting it into 3 doses a day will make it really fiddly and complicated if you really get into your taper, the reason for saying this is that there is someone here who has split their liquid Prozac into 2 doses a day and is having a bit of a headache working out the doses now it's down to a low level.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

What I wrote about liver enzymes had nothing to do with the condition of your liver or giving it a break.

I just was concerned that you might be taking another medication that used the same liver enzymes as the celexa for the medications to be metabolized, causing interdose withdrawal (symptoms between your daily dose) that could have been why you wanted to switch to dosing three times a day. Usually when people want to do that, it's because they're having interdose withdrawal, and that wouldn't happen with celexa's half-life unless there was another factor.

What Strawberry wrote was along the lines of my concern that it could be needlessly complicated to measure the precise doses as you make minute dose changes at the lower doses. We strongly recommend tapering by drops that are a percentage of each dose you're on. As the doses get lower, this results in increasingly small dose amounts. If necessary, they can be measured out, but it would get complicated for no purpose when divided into three doses a day.

I don't know if you're aware that citalopram comes in a liquid form so you probably don't need to make your own. You'd need your doctor to prescribe the med in the liquid form.

Once you have a liquid form of celexa, I suggest you take your usual full dose and not taper yet, for a couple of weeks or so, so if your body has a slight adjustment to the new form. Sometimes people feel a difference briefly, and this way you'd know it was that and not mistake it for a withdrawal symptom and think your taper dose was unsuitable.

I suggest you read this if you haven't already: Tips for tapering off celexa

That might answer some of your questions and help you prepare for your taper.

Thanks again for the guidance and clarification about enzymes. There's a lot I need to learn about all this. It's a shame really that I don't know what I've been taking into my body for all these years.

Thanks for being here to help out.

Celexa 20 mg  2002

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14

• Moderator Emeritus

I tapered the clonazepam down from 2 mg to .011 mg over the last 17 months. I'll keep tapering indefinitely as it is easy for me and just may give my receptors some extra time to heal. Also the longer I wait to 'jump' off which may really just be a 'step' at this point, maybe the easier it will be on the anti-depressant withdrawal.

Sounds like you did a really good job tapering klonopin. I wonder what the GABA.. were that caused so many problems? Do you include the occasional alcoholic drink in this?

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like you did a really good job tapering klonopin.

Benzo withdrawal was pretty smooth for me, except when I took a GABAergic product by accident, or missed a dose when sick, then my experiences were SEVERE. From no problem to major pain in MINUTES. Luckily those happened rarely.

I wonder what the GABAergic products were that caused so many problems? Do you include the occasional alcoholic drink in this category? I can't drink (okay, once in a greattt while, just often enough to make me realize this is not good!)

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Hi Skylar,

My worst reaction was to Advil(acetaminophen), burning skin very painful, and to a milder degree spirulina and green tea. Every body is different, so knowing all the GABAergics is important because you never know which one YOUR body is going to react to.

No I don't drink alcohol.

Celexa 20 mg  2002

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Skylar,

My worst reaction was to Advil(acetaminophen), burning skin very painful, and to a milder degree spirulina and green tea. Every body is different, so knowing all the GABAergics is important because you never know which one YOUR body is going to react to.

No I don't drink alcohol.

I did not think you had, but made a mention because alcohol can sabotage tapers for virtually all psychotropics and I'm not sure everyone realizes this.

Thanks!

• Administrator

If you've been taking Celexa once a day, continue taking it once a day.

It's normally dosed once a day.

I've never heard of anyone taking it more than once a day, that would be very unusual.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Beans I agree with Strawberry and Alto. For what it is worth. Deviating in any way with ssri's can cause problems.

I do totally understand your thought process and it makes sense.

All you can do it try it and you'll know quickly if it is okay.

Like Strawberry said, getting into the lower doses can present a problem. That is a trickly time.

Celeste

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Thank you Alto and Celeste,

I appreciate your experience with this. I will stick with once a day.

From my first attempt at tapering, I am really getting the picture of how intensely this stuff is connected to [attached and not wanting to let go of] my system. I'm staying at full dose for another week before I make the initial 10% cut.

Penual, if you're asking about what I'm taking, I dry cut my pills originally, to get the 25% reduction, but that was just too much. I have ora-plus suspension fluid which enables me to keep a batch in the fridge for a month at a time. I just drop a month's supply of pills into the suspension and then use a oral syringe to take a specific amount out. I'm confident with math and ratios, so it works for me. I don't know how other people do it, cutting with a razor seems very difficult.

beans

Celexa 20 mg  2002

4/29/13 - 17 mg

11/13 - 4 mg

12/12/13 - 3.5 mg

too angry > updosed

1/21/14 - 7 mg

slowly to 2 mg 10/1/14

• 5 months later...

Because it was apparent from short lived experiments with remeron and paxil that I was very sensitive to anti-depressants but because they were the only option I was given to deal with my chronic nausea I have always taken a divided dose; half with breakfast and half with dinner.  Over the last couple of weeks of my month on the 13 mg of zoloft I have noticed two things that lead me to new questions.

First I generally do not wake up dizzy.  That usually begins, or at least becomes worse, between an hour and two hours after I take my morning dose, which is 7 mg. The dizziness usually decreases during the course of the day.  I do however begin to get odd sensations in my legs and generally feel not comfortable in my skin from around 3 pm until 5 or so when those symptoms seem to fade away as well.  Also, I almost never feel dizzy after the evening dose of 6 mg. 

So the questions.  First, because my dizziness generally begins after the larger dose and does not follow the smaller one, does that suggest that the dizziness is now actually a side effect of the drug rather than a withdrawal side effect?  Because I can't find a syringe that would enable me to take .325 of a ml of the liquid I can't really take 6.5 mg twice a day.

I see three possible options here.  One is to try dropping a mg, which does make me very nervous after reading materials on this site.  On the other hand if the dizziness is no longer my brain wanting things stable at 13 mg but my brain telling me it's time to drop the dose I will never find that out by waiting.  Also my nausea is increasing to a serious level due to the long period on a fixed dose which makes me more inclinded to take a risk. 

Another option might be to stop the divided dose and take it all in the pm .  That would leave the maximum dizziness during the evening hours.  It could also however make for the maximum disturbance of my sleep and I am close to a walking zombie now, even at only 15 mg.

The final option is to take the full dose in the am.  This seems attractive from a sleep perspective, but kind of scary from both a dizziness and nausea perspective.

Any thoughts on these or other options that you may see. 

gabapentin 900 mg for sleep disturbance for over 10 years

700 mg since began lyrica in August of 2012

zoloft  25mg June 2012

50 mg July 2012

75 mg August 2012

100 mg Sept 2012 through Feb 2013

90 mg March 2013

85 mg April 2013

80 mg May 2013

80 to 4 mg June through July 2013

lexapro  5 mg to 16 mg August through December 2012

16 mg to ,4 mg January 1, 2013 through Feb 12, 2013

0 mg Feb 13, 2013 through March 6, 2013

4 mg March 7, 2013 through April 12, 2013

zoloft  20 mg April 13, 2013

dropped 1mg per week through June 29, 2013 when I reached 9mg but experienced w/d symptoms

13 mg July 10, 2013 through present - w/d symptoms continue although milder

lyrica for chronic pain:  August 2013 through present tapered up from 50 mg to 150 mg per day

clonazepam .5 mg per day from June of 2011 through July of 2012

tapered to zero over two weeks in August of 2012

clonazepa 1mg for chronic nausea June of 2013 through present

• Administrator

That the dizziness starts after you take your morning dose suggests it is a side effect.

Compounding pharmacies should carry 1mL or even .5mL oral syringes that will enable you to measure very small amounts. The Baxa brand is the most precise.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Altostrata

Am I correct from your reply that were it you, you would try to continue at 13 mg but try to get a smaller syringes and balance my doses evenly at 6.5 mg in the am and pm?  I'll see if I can find a syringe that will enable me to measure .325 mL which will enable me to do that.  Thanks.

gabapentin 900 mg for sleep disturbance for over 10 years

700 mg since began lyrica in August of 2012

zoloft  25mg June 2012

50 mg July 2012

75 mg August 2012

100 mg Sept 2012 through Feb 2013

90 mg March 2013

85 mg April 2013

80 mg May 2013

80 to 4 mg June through July 2013

lexapro  5 mg to 16 mg August through December 2012

16 mg to ,4 mg January 1, 2013 through Feb 12, 2013

0 mg Feb 13, 2013 through March 6, 2013

4 mg March 7, 2013 through April 12, 2013

zoloft  20 mg April 13, 2013

dropped 1mg per week through June 29, 2013 when I reached 9mg but experienced w/d symptoms

13 mg July 10, 2013 through present - w/d symptoms continue although milder

lyrica for chronic pain:  August 2013 through present tapered up from 50 mg to 150 mg per day

clonazepam .5 mg per day from June of 2011 through July of 2012

tapered to zero over two weeks in August of 2012

clonazepa 1mg for chronic nausea June of 2013 through present

• Administrator

That may be one solution. I can't predict or advise which way you should go. Try a very small change, keep notes on paper, and see if symptoms decline.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I have read  here from a few folks that because of lexapro's chemical make up & metabolites it MAY be a good candidate for splitting the dose taking to improve over all quality of life.

By that I mean if it makes one drowsy , splitting the doses may ameliorate that effect. If it causes vivid dreams, splitting the doses may ameliorate that effect. If it causes insomnia splitting the doses may ameliorate that effect.

Can anyone confirm this and what are your thoughts on taking a chance on trying it.

What might the risks ( in terms of throwing off CNS) be? 

Thanks for any insight offered. 

RU

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

• 4 months later...

I posted this in my introduction as well.  I apologize.  I wasn't sure where to post this question.

I have recently started to divide my dose into two equal doses and take at 7a and 7p. I started doing this because with the extremely short half life of luvox (13 to 15 hours and some research suggests that it gets shorter at lower doses) I was beginnng to feel like I was going in and out of withdrawal on a daily basis. It has been too short of a time frame to know if this is going to work or not, but at any rate it seems as if it would help keep my dose at a more steady state. Curious if anyone else has done this and had success, especially at much lower doses. I'm approximately at a dose that would be comparable to 2 mg of paxil with the dose comparisons from crazymeds. Thanks for listening everyone! :)

zoloft 2004-08 tapered too fast(2 weeks)
Luvox 5/08 100 mg 07/10 40mg via small reductions, 08/10 39mg, 09/10 38mg, 10/10 37mg, 11/10 36mg,2/11 35mg, 5/11 34mg, 8/11 33mg, 11/11 32mg, 01/12 31mg, 03/12 30mg, 4/12 29mg, 5/12 28 mg, 8/12 27 mg, 11/12 26 mg, 1/13 25 mg, 3/13 24 mg, 4/13 23 mg,6/13 22 mg, 7/13 21 mg, 8/13 20mg, 10/13 19 mg, 11/13 18 mg, 12/13 17 mg, 1/14 16 mg, 3/14 13 mg, 9/14 10.9 mg,  1/15 10 mg, 3/15  9 mg,  5/15 8 mg. 11/15 7.12 mg.  4/16  5 mg, 6/16   4.5 mg,  9/16 4.2 mg, 1/17 3.48 mg, 2/17  3.2 mg,  4/17 2.2 mg, 5/17 2.0 mg, 6/17  1.74 mg, 7/17 1.58 mg, 9/17 1.27 mg, 11/17 1.0 mg,  1/18 0.79 mg

• Administrator

We have members who have divided doses of various drugs for the very reason you've explained. You might try this if you feel you get withdrawal symptoms in the evening.

To move part of a dose to a later time, move it an hour or so every day until you have distributed the doses as you want. For example, if you're taking 10mg Luvox, you might want to move 2.5mg of it to the evening.

You would take 7.5mg on your regular schedule in the morning, then take the other 2.5mg perhaps 2 hours later. Do this for a couple of days.

Then, move the 2.5mg 4 hours later. And so forth.

Using a liquid to taper would be the most convenient way to do this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I switched to twice-daily dosing for this taper, as I was concerned about how low the Paxil availability might get later in the day at low doses.   My previous taper crashed when trying to go under 5mg.  I actually created a spreadsheet and graph that showed that the plasma concentration of Paxil was much more stable with twice-daily dosing, i.e. it didn't jump up and down as much.  I just switched immediately while very stable at 10mg, as I wanted to switch well before I got down into the 'danger zone'.  I also switched to compounded liquid for this taper and am using a 1ml syringe.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Songbird, how have you done with the twice daily dosing?  I think I do better on it myself.

zoloft 2004-08 tapered too fast(2 weeks)
Luvox 5/08 100 mg 07/10 40mg via small reductions, 08/10 39mg, 09/10 38mg, 10/10 37mg, 11/10 36mg,2/11 35mg, 5/11 34mg, 8/11 33mg, 11/11 32mg, 01/12 31mg, 03/12 30mg, 4/12 29mg, 5/12 28 mg, 8/12 27 mg, 11/12 26 mg, 1/13 25 mg, 3/13 24 mg, 4/13 23 mg,6/13 22 mg, 7/13 21 mg, 8/13 20mg, 10/13 19 mg, 11/13 18 mg, 12/13 17 mg, 1/14 16 mg, 3/14 13 mg, 9/14 10.9 mg,  1/15 10 mg, 3/15  9 mg,  5/15 8 mg. 11/15 7.12 mg.  4/16  5 mg, 6/16   4.5 mg,  9/16 4.2 mg, 1/17 3.48 mg, 2/17  3.2 mg,  4/17 2.2 mg, 5/17 2.0 mg, 6/17  1.74 mg, 7/17 1.58 mg, 9/17 1.27 mg, 11/17 1.0 mg,  1/18 0.79 mg

I am a huge, huge fan of frequent dosing. Would never have made it this far without it. I used to carry drugs in pre-filled syringes with tip covers in a plastic bag in my purse. It helped, but glad to be done with it now :).

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Moderator Emeritus

Songbird, how have you done with the twice daily dosing?  I think I do better on it myself.

I can't really say how I would have been without it, as I am also tapering much much slower this time.  My aim was to make sure this taper was successful, because I'd failed so many times before.  So far, so good, I've got down to below where I crashed last time.  I certainly haven't noticed any problems with it, other than having to remember to take my dose twice as often (which can be a problem with my crappy memory).

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

I tapered zoloft taking it twice a day, 12 hours apart. Worked just fine for me. I would recommend it if your drug has got a short halflife. 

08 Cipralex 10mg for about 6 months. 11-12 Cipralex 20mg. Unsuccesful WD. 12-13 Zoloft 100mg with Diazepam 10-20mg as needed for anxiety.
Fall 13 Tapering Zoloft 100->50->25->12,5->0 in 2,5 months and CT Diazepam. 12/24/13 RI Zoloft 12,5mg

1/21/14 11mg

3/18/14 9,9mg

2/18/14 8mg

4/22/14 7,6mg

5/5/14 7,2mg

5/12/14 -> cutting 0,5mg per week, holding when necessary.

8/18/14 -> cutting 0,25mg per week holding when necessary.

10/20/2014 -> cutting 0,1mg per week, holding when necessary.
12/28/2014 Jump!

• 9 months later...

Happy to find this topic!

I have been taking the liquid lex over 2 hours each day a bit every 10 min or so to reduce the intense immediate reaction. Not sure if this is a bad idea. Would like to hear others thoughts and experience.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• Administrator

If it works, it works. That would seem to imitate rate of absorption from a tablet.

I've been taking effexor immediate and extended release 3/daily during my tapering. It's getting difficult to decide which dose to make micro decrease from.

Mornings - I take the extended release, afternoon -immediate and evenings - I take both immediate and Extended. Should I start taking it twice daily as the immediately are getting harder to weigh at such small mgs. I'm too afraid I would mess myself doing liquid.

I'm also taking brintellix 3mgs with the afternoon immediate.

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

I read somewhere on the forum someone suggested to maybe take 2 half doses of the drug during the day instead of one full dose. i don't remember where i read it.. but im pretty sure it was in someones introduction thread. is this something that has worked for some people? spreading the drug around during the day rather than dosing all at one time. Im wondering if it could help ease some of my really terrible days ): it seems sometimes after i have an awful day i feel better after taking my nightly dose of mirtazapine, of course not always. maybe its just the histamine blocking aspect calming me down ? im not sure. any input on this would help alot

(November 26 2013) Had a reaction to taking CBD oil and had a panic attack that started this whole thing.

(November 9 2014) 8.6 months on Mirtazapine, started tapering down random amounts.

(January 17 2015) *STOPPED TAKING MIRTAZAPINE* after an unstable 2 month taper.

(February 5 2015) *REINSTATED at 3.9 MG OF MIRTAZAPINE* after nearly 3 weeks of a very unstable windows and waves pattern

(February 5 2015 ) Felt better right away after reinstating, am more stable than i was at 0mg, but am still not as stable as i was PRE-TAPER.

(April 19 2015) After waiting around 2 months from Feb 5 and i started to feel ok enough, i reduced from 3.9 mg to 3.5 mg. then continued to reduce by about .4 mg every 2 or so weeks.

The reductions were going quite smoothly and i wasn't feeling too bad in general... until...

(July 13 2015) Shortly after reducing from 1.9 mg to 1.6 mg i hit a wall and my mood started to become noticeably worse in general

(August 4) after not really improving much i reduced from 1.6 mg to 1.5 mg, and i have been holding ever since.

I feel bad in general these days despite holding, and feel im not too much better than i was during January 17 to February 5 after jumping off at 4 MG.

I am questioning if taking the drug is actually making me worse, i dunno.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy