SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

JayBird - Hello SA!

JayBird

Hi Everyone,

I am brandy new to this site and am glad to see there is such a site. Like many I have had to learn the hard way about withdrawal and what antidepressant use has caused me to deal with. I will try to find the right place to post my experience.

Cheers

JayBird

2004-05 Trazadone 50 mg

2006-10 Effexor 75 mg

2010-March 2014 150 mg

2014-April-August med free

2014-August-present Effexor 112.5 mg, Traz 75 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jaybird

Welcome to the site. This is the right place to post your experience. This thread is your own personal one, to share experiences, ask questions and seek support. Whenever you want to talk specifically about stuff that's happening to you return here and add a new post

Can I also ask you to fill out your signature. Instructions are here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Hi there. This is the right place to post your experience. Just keep adding to it and use it as a journal. It is very helpful. This is your thread now. Welcome. I hope you find the site helpful.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

Haha looks like dalsaan and I posted at the same time. My bad. Listen to what was said. And again welcome

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

Ok I think I got the signature part done right! Let's see if it works....

2004-05 Trazadone 50 mg

2006-10 Effexor 75 mg

2010-March 2014 150 mg

As for my story here goes. I had sleep issues that's and that's were the trazadone came into play. This helped and I had no issues what so ever. The switch to Effexor came about because my younger sister had suffered with anxiety really bad for 7 years and one day the doctor finally convinced her to take a medication for it. She did and was given Effexor and completely turned around. She was able to leave the house do the things she missed out on went to university and graduated. She still is doing very well moved out got herself a job in her field and has had no issues. In the throws of all this she had told me that she felt great. Here is where I get introduced to Effexor. I mentioned to my doctor that my sister takes Effexor and that I have had a couple anxiety attacks in the past so he says well we can switch you from the trazadone to Effexor. I started at 37.5 up to 75 mg. After about 5 years for no reason my doctor told me I need to go to 150 mg because 75 mg is a starting dose not a maintenance dose so I went to 150 mg. I never experienced any side effects at all that I really noticed.

Now here is we're things get upset. After taking 150 mg for so long i hated the fact if I missed my dose about 10-12 hours later I would start getting the electric shock feeling. So I asked my doctor if I could get off the medication because of this reason. My doctor said sure but you need to wean off the medication. So he told me to take 75 mg for 1 month then 37.5 mg for a month and then I would be done. There was no other conversation about possible withdrawal.

I went along reducing as he stated and really had no issues other than mild electric shocks. The first month Effexor free I had mild electric shocks that were gone by the end of the month. The next month and a half I felt pretty much normal but started to notice I was slowly having trouble sleeping. Then one day my muscles started to ache and I felt extremely irritable. That lasted about a week then I seemed to sleep not to bad. I did think to myself at the time what was that week all about? Over the next month the sleeping started to get less and less and my irritability came back. I went to the doctor not my doctor and explained what was going on and my history. The doctor told me I will give you a prescription for trazadone to help sleep and one to start back on the Effexor but she would leave the decision to me. We'll I made it about 2 more weeks until the beginning of August and decided if I had to take the Effexor to feel normal again I would.

It was he'll going back on and instantly since I took the first one in august I had anxiety and a host of other issues that I never in my life experienced, anxiety to a level I never knew, short bout of depression which I never in my life experienced, body temperature all over the map", arm and leg tingles and pains, muscle spasms, bowel problems stress feelings were over whelming.

Today I am at 112.5 and take 75mg for sleep. I still have problems but the anxiety is not near as bad. I haven't felt anything like I did the first time I was on Effexor. It's like a

I get waves of feeling not to bad but then I get periods of feeling off. My ultimate goal is to get off Effexor completely but I am ok with a low dose trazadone to help with sleep.

Sorry for the long story and I really look forward to getting to know others and getting some guidance on how to get off Effexor and what to expect in trying to heal from this.

Thnx for reading and any input!!!!!

JayBird

2004-05 Trazadone 50 mg

2006-10 Effexor 75 mg

2010-March 2014 150 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome JayBird,

Thank you for filling in your signature and sharing your story. 

Here are a couple of links which may be helpful:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?
The general philosophy of gradual tapering

Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

http://survivinganti...or-venlafaxine/

How are you feeling at the moment?

Here is the link to our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful ideas to help manage any symptoms as you taper.  Especially read the topics pinned at the top.

Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Since my reinstatement after going off Effexor for 4 months it's been a road of mixed problems and my ultimate goal is to be off of Effexor. I never had much problem reducing dose the first attempt. I am know at 112.5 mg and have been here since October 30 how long should I wait before trying to go down?

2004-05 Trazadone 50 mg

2006-10 Effexor 75 mg

2010-March 2014 150 mg

I would like some advice on were to go from we're I stand today. My aim is to eventually be off of Effexor. In a nut shell I had no side effects or issues other than feeling awful if I missed or was late longer than 10 hours of taking my dose of 150. So I asked the doctor about coming off and he tapered me to 75 for 1 month and 37.5 for a second the off. After 4 months off Effexor I reinstated at 37.5 for a week then 75 for a month then 150 for 2 months and for the last 2 months I have been at 112.5. I find the drops not to bad but I have never felt the same since I was before I ever quit. I have had lots of issues that everyone has mentioned but somehow have managed. My questions is if I were to go to 75 could I fire up months of withdraw agony that I can't fix by going back to 112.5?

Thanks for any input. And all the best to everyone in 2015!!!!!

2004-05 Trazadone 50 mg

2006-10 Effexor 75 mg

2010-March 2014 150 mg

Hi JayBird,

I moved your post from Tapering to your thread, Here is where you will ask questions that ate pertinent to your situation. Posting in the other topic might cause it to be missed.

The answer is yes, do you want to chance that or do a slow, safe, sane taper? Please read the links that Petu so thoughtfully provided for you above. Getting off psychoactive meds is not a race to the 'finish', but a calculated way of getting your body to adapt to lower and lower levels of the drug to prevent untoward symptoms.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Thanks cymbalta, I apologize for not posting correctly. It is such a hard ordeal and lately I really have my mind on wanting to get off of Effexor. What a smack in the face at 40 years old with a wife and 2 kids. I am the bread winner of the house and since this all started 7 months ago it's been extremely hard. I never knew there was such a thing as this withdrawal from prescription meds. Acceptance has been very hard to come to grips with. I went back on Effexor to stop the withdrawal and 5 months later all though a lot better I still struggle daily. Lately it's been my stomach feeling queasy and I have had diarrehea for the last month. Somedays I get pain full arms and legs more so by the end of the day. Mentally I am much more comfortable then I was at 4 months off of Effexor. I was very irritable and I perceived everything as a stress. The withdrawal didn't start till about 2.5 months off Effexor. I had a lot of extreme anxiety and intrusive thoughts plus major insomnia but it seemed to really get worse hours after I reinstated the Effexor. Gradually anxiety and the stressors have become a lot less but I still struggle. Is it best to start tapering or live with the reality that I am stuck? If I know that someday this will be over and I can be without the Effexor and it's problems then that's the direction I would like to take. Thanks for listening.

2004-05 Trazadone 50 mg

2006-10 Effexor 75 mg

2010-March 2014 150 mg

Anyone?

2004-05 Trazadone 50 mg

2006-10 Effexor 75 mg

2010-March 2014 150 mg

You are not stuck! I went off paxil six months ago in a way too fast taper(2 months) and I continue to suffer. All the symptoms you mentioned I have. Also withdrawal usually does kick in after being off awhile. Mine started a month off then really slammed me at five months. You are back on the med now and doing better so if you want off start tapering 10 percent of your dose every four weeks or longer. You can do it. It is a hard road but tapering slowly will minimize withdrawals.

.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

I have never really stabilized since going back on the Effexor after 4 months off. I keep track everyday and I have waves and windows. My main symptoms lately are nervous, worry, arm and leg pains, dirrea and a mild headache. I have been back on the Effexor for 5 months now. Should I continue to wait or will things never improve anymore then were I am at now. I would like to start a 10 percent taper as recommended. I will maintain the grazed one during my Effexor taper to help with sleep. Thanks for any advice and guidance. All the best to everyone here. JayBird

2004-05 Trazadone 50 mg

2006-10 Effexor 75 mg

2010-March 2014 150 mg

Maintain the trazadone is what I meant not the grazed one.....must of been a spell check thing that did that....lol

Thanks for the help!

2004-05 Trazadone 50 mg

2006-10 Effexor 75 mg

2010-March 2014 150 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi JayBird,

From what you have written, its difficult to know if you're ready to start tapering or not.  It sounds like you are doing better, but that you're still having waves of symptoms.

Would you say that you're still improving, or that your symptoms have stabilized and stay the same.  Keep notes on paper of your symptom pattern, with ratings of intensity, this can make it easier to see what's happening.

If nothing much has changed over 4 weeks, then its probably safe to say that you are as stable as you are going to get, but if you're not sure, as long as you're not getting any worse, you could give it a bit more time.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes