Obstacle1: Paxil/seroxat since 2001, side effects becoming intolerable

Obstacle1

I don't know how common my story is. I was put on seroxat initially at the age of 14 for social anxiety. To be honest it seems like it worked for a few years. But I was left on with little care or attention from doctors and I think things have gradually become more and more difficult for me over the years. In late August last year I think I had a negative SSRI reaction, probably prompted by overcharging my nervous system with cigarettes and alcohol. Since then I've been going through a very slow process of recovery. Some days better than others, some days I feel almost normal. Different symptoms seem to come and go and it makes me wonder if I'll ever stabilize? At the moment, I seem to be suffering with nausea and dizziness, and I have the feeling that whenever I eat meat my stomach reacts badly to this. I'm terrified that I might end up vomiting...or even worse vomiting up directly after taking a dose.

Overall, going through this phase has made me realise that I might as well be tapering off. If I'm going to suffer this much whilst keeping the dose the same then I might as well be reducing it? My more conservative, perhaps wiser self reckons it's better to wait for things to stabilise before I try any tapering though. I just wish it would hurry up, I just want to be off this crap and live like a normal person

Began paxil/seroxat 20mg in 2001 for social anxiety, age 14

Switched to liquid and at some point tapered down to around 7ml(14mg)

2007 tapered too rapidly down to 4ml had severe depression and anxiety for a year, stabilised at 6.6ml(13.2mg), same dose ever since

Have had 2 negative reactions then, one in 2010 and one in 2014. Currently recovering from this latest one, whole array of symptoms that come and go

same med was prescribed for me for a headache  but it destroyed my life .I have the  same intestine inflammation and it worries me a lot but what can I do ?

Slow taper because this medication is NASTY.It left me with bad side effects (it causes scary panic attacks so go slowly .

I wish you a lot of luck and I think you will be soon much better

''I''took paxil for 30 days (did`nt felt  a lot of side effects when ''I'' stopped it)

after two weeks I developed the worst headache I ever felt (some sort of permanent migraine, tinnitus..).

after a month of headaches a decided to take another pill to see.I took a pill because i was thinking that it  was may be withdrawal and it caused me a what my doctor called `some thing like serotonin syndrome`` which never improved and caused me severe muscle problems...

in retrospect I know that it was not a serotonin syndrome , my receptor were very stimulated and reacted in weird ways

Sounds like you've hit tolerance or *poop out* since you've been on it sooo long.  That happened to me back in (I think) 2012...I was on the same 20mg's and still suffering worse than ever before, so I went to the Dr. and they put me on 40 mg's and that seemed to help for a little while, but not long- then I went cold turkey (do not recommend)...tapering off of it will be so much better, I had no idea or help when I went off of it back then.  

A moderator should be around and they can offer better advice. 

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Obstacle1, welcome to SA.  I'm glad that you found us before starting to taper, most of us anded up 

here after a taper that was too fast or cold turkey and suffering withdrawal. I started to have a reaction

to effexor after 5 years and struggled on for the next 5 years not knowing it was the drug, but when I

started tapering the effects became milder. (until I stopped too soon and had withdrawal!) 

We recommend tapering 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, or longer if there are any uncomfortable

symptoms following a cut. 

Here are some links for you to read up on tapering, if you haven't seen them already. 

Tapering seroxat.....(paxil)  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/405-tips-for-tapering-off-paxil-paroxetine/

Why taper 10%  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

The 3 KIS..http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

It would help us if you can put your drug history in your signature strip, list all meds including over the counter and supplements.

Here is how to do that http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/ 

Many people find that magnesium and omega 3 fish oil help when tapering. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi Obstacle1, welcome to SA.  I'm glad that you found us before starting to taper, most of us anded up 

here after a taper that was too fast or cold turkey and suffering withdrawal. I started to have a reaction

to effexor after 5 years and struggled on for the next 5 years not knowing it was the drug, but when I

started tapering the effects became milder. (until I stopped too soon and had withdrawal!) 

We recommend tapering 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, or longer if there are any uncomfortable

symptoms following a cut. 

Here are some links for you to read up on tapering, if you haven't seen them already. 

Tapering seroxat.....(paxil)  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/405-tips-for-tapering-off-paxil-paroxetine/

Why taper 10%  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

The 3 KIS..http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

It would help us if you can put your drug history in your signature strip, list all meds including over the counter and supplements.

Here is how to do that http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/ 

Many people find that magnesium and omega 3 fish oil help when tapering. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

Question: What brand of magnesium would be most beneficial? 

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way. 

• Moderator Emeritus

CTM, look at the topic on magnesium in the link. Everyone is different but I find glycinate is best for me.

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi all, thanks for the replies. I should add my story is a bit more complex than I wrote at first!

I started on 20mg but at some point probably when I had only been on it a couple years, I tapered off a little. Probably reached a stable dose of around 7ml (14mg). Then a few years later I tapered down (way too fast) as far as 4ml (8mg). I was going in 1ml drops and ended up with horrible anxiety and depression that took me a good year to get out of. I think this was in 2007/8 and I then stabilised on what is still my current dose of 6.6ml (13.2mg). In 2010 I also had a horrible reaction (again caused by too much alcohol I think) which took me a while to recover from. I feel pretty foolish knowing I went and did a similar thing again 4 years later but I guess when you feel ok you end up thinking you're invincible. I guess I've learnt that that really isn't the case and I need to go super easy on my body now.

I remember taking magnesium for a little while when I first had problems, fish oil seemed to cause me problems. Does anyone know if the magnesium helps with the nausea??

Anyway, I guess I'll update my signature to show my complicated full story! Thanks for the replies, it really helps to know some people can actually relate to the things I'm going through. It's almost impossible I think to find anyone in my day to day life who would actually understand this - even my parents who know I am having difficulty with the meds I don't think can comprehend just how bad it is

2007 tapered too rapidly down to 4ml had severe depression and anxiety for a year, stabilised at 6.6ml(13.2mg), same dose ever since

Have had 2 negative reactions then, one in 2010 and one in 2014. Currently recovering from this latest one, whole array of symptoms that come and go

• Mentor

Hi Obstacle 1.  Welcome.   I am appalled they put you on this stuff at 14.  Hope you can sue them one day....   All the references are on this website..  

Anyhow glad you are here!   Tell your parents to get over their guilt and help...........apologies, so upset they put you on this at 14... but no oone knew...

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

thisis so disturbing -giving this awful drug to a 14 yr. old!

what is wrong w/ these drs.?!

so sorry for you

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

Sorry you are going through this.  My son was put on seroquel at 11 and now at 14 we are trying to taper him to get him down to half his dose and see how he does.  It is a crime that these are being giving out to children.  Had I known then what I know now my son would not have been put on at all.  Hope you feel better soon.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

Hi Obstacle 1.  Welcome.   I am appalled they put you on this stuff at 14.  Hope you can sue them one day....   All the references are on this website..  

Anyhow glad you are here!   Tell your parents to get over their guilt and help...........apologies, so upset they put you on this at 14... but no oone knew...

I don't know about you but the idea of asking someone to help seems kinda difficult...I don't really know what another person could do to help alleviate the symptoms I go through so I guess I end up keeping 90% of it to myself.

Anyone know how I can go about taking legal action? I've heard of class action suits being taken against GSK but don't know what the outcome was or whether an individual can really do anything

Your post caught my eye because i was put on this drug in 2001 as well just disgraceful what it does to us. You were wiser than me you have got liquid and got yourself down to 6ml well done Yeah i had similar stuff never thought it was due to me just thought it was diet or getting old or something...imo why wait to taper i would make a start following the 10% or slower method here. Just imo

Anyway you have come to the right place. Im sure you will be drug free soon ...taper slow though dont rush it!

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Administrator

Welcome, Obstacle.

What is your daily symptom pattern relative to when you take Paxil? Are you taking any other drugs?

Ginger can help with nausea, see What to do for dizziness, queasiness, nausea

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...

*Post moved from symptoms section

What's the difference between poop out and a negative reaction?

And how do I know which one I'm going through? I've been feeling like crap for about 6 months now, with some slow progress. Problems that seem to come and go are:

anxiety/panic

depression

nausea

stomach pains

hot flushes

cold

akathisia/restlessness

dizziness

and probably a few others which I've forgotten for now

I initially thought it was a bad reaction as it all started after a night of drinking alcohol, but I've been on seroxat so long I wonder if I'm experiencing poop out instead/as well?

Edited by Petunia
added note and topic title

• Administrator

Poop-out is usually when someone has been fine with the drug for a good while and then finds it stops "working." Symptoms are usually something like emotional anesthesia or "depression," but can also be withdrawal symptoms.

What is your daily symptom pattern relative to when you take the drug? This can help determine their source.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I'm not entirely sure, some things tend to come and go. More nausea/stomach problems in the morning in the few hours after taking the drug. This seems to calm down generally by the afternoon. Also have had a lot of dizziness in the day time lately, which usually calms down by night. Other things seem to come and go, e.g. anxiety some days, irritability/anger on other days.

• Administrator

You're taking about 14mg now?

Occasionally people find if they can split the dose, they can better tolerate the drug and tapering. If I were you, I might consider taking 10mg in the morning and 4mg some time later, perhaps moving it gradually to 6 p.m. Or, you could move 1mg at a time later in the day.

You're taking about 14mg now?

Occasionally people find if they can split the dose, they can better tolerate the drug and tapering. If I were you, I might consider taking 10mg in the morning and 4mg some time later, perhaps moving it gradually to 6 p.m. Or, you could move 1mg at a time later in the day.

I hadn't heard of people doing that before. I kinda feel like I'd be playing with fire though, as soon as I took a lower dose one morning I'd expect to feel pretty awful. Not sure if that's the right way forward. I haven't started tapering at all yet...I'm still trying to work out if I'm suffering a reaction or am in poop out, as I've heard people in poop out can sometimes start to feel a little better if they start tapering

• Administrator

To split the dose, you might take 10mg in the morning and move 4mg an hour later each day until you're taking it in the evening. Most likely, you won't feel the difference of a hour.

This is to reduce the adverse reaction you're getting to your morning dose.

I don't know where you heard that advice about poop-out. Your choice about what you want to do. When did you last make a dosage change?

• 5 months later...

To split the dose, you might take 10mg in the morning and move 4mg an hour later each day until you're taking it in the evening. Most likely, you won't feel the difference of a hour.

This is to reduce the adverse reaction you're getting to your morning dose.

I don't know where you heard that advice about poop-out. Your choice about what you want to do. When did you last make a dosage change?

Sorry for the delayed response - haven't been on here for a while. Several years ago. Probably 2008 to be honest. Same dosage since then but seem to have gone through 2 extended periods of 'reactions' or something like withdrawal symptoms since then, one was in 2010/2011 and the latest one started about a year ago and still seems to be continuing now...I haven't changed the dose because frankly I don't know what to do. I was hoping with time things would gradually get better but now I'm starting to have second thoughts

• Administrator

Is it possible sometimes you forget to take the seroxat?

It sounds like you are having adverse effects, if you sometimes forget your dose or take it at an odd time, this might cause intermittent symptoms as you've described.

What is your current symptom pattern relative to when you take your drug?

Is it possible sometimes you forget to take the seroxat?

It sounds like you are having adverse effects, if you sometimes forget your dose or take it at an odd time, this might cause intermittent symptoms as you've described.

What is your current symptom pattern relative to when you take your drug?

No. It's absolutely impossible that I forget to take the drug. And I also take it at pretty much the same time every day - probably within a 15 minute window. I don't understand what you mean by 'symptom pattern relative to when you take the drug'. My symptoms come and go and are pretty erratic. Sometimes I'll have several days where I feel nauseous. Sometimes I'll have a day where I'm especially anxious or sensitive to light. It's not like it's a daily thing that repeats itself every day, and from what I've read of other people who've taken this drug it's not a daily pattern for them either.

Probably the only daily pattern that I can identify is that I'm more anxious in the mornings and my nerves settle later in the day...

• 6 years later...

How to deal with medication shortage? Taking liquid Seroxat/Paxil

Hi all,

I'm based in the UK and have been taking liquid Seroxat (paxil) for many years. I'm currently panicking because there is a shortage from the supplier and I only have about 2 weeks of the drug left. I'm not sure what I should do if I can't get hold of it? Can anyone recommend the best alternative? I've heard you can crush up pills in water to measure out a dose or there may be off-licence versions you can get. I'll make an appointment with a GP but I wanted to be as informed as possible beforehand. To be honest I'm terrified of taking anything slightly different to what I'm so used to

Edited by ChessieCat
added Intro topic title before merging with intro topic

• ChessieCat changed the title to How to deal with medication shortage? Taking liquid Seroxat/Paxil
  • Moderator Emeritus

Yes it is possible to my your own liquid using tablets.  When changing brand/form of a drug (in this case prescription liquid to DIY liquid) it is better to do a cross over which is gentler on your system.

cross-over-changing-form-eg-tablet-to-liquid-of-drug-or-changing-brand-of-same-drug

Tips for tapering off paroxetine (Paxil, Seroxat)

From the above topic:

On 5/27/2011 at 10:52 AM, Altostrata said:

Make your own liquid
You can make your own liquid with water. See How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

On 6/9/2022 at 9:56 AM, ChessieCat said:

Yes it is possible to my your own liquid using tablets.  When changing brand/form of a drug (in this case prescription liquid to DIY liquid) it is better to do a cross over which is gentler on your system.

cross-over-changing-form-eg-tablet-to-liquid-of-drug-or-changing-brand-of-same-drug

Tips for tapering off paroxetine (Paxil, Seroxat)

From the above topic:

Thanks for that. I wasn't aware of the cross-over technique before so I'll definitely do that.

My pharmacist thought that mixing the tablets in water meant the drug wouldn't be distributed evenly so I think it might be better to crush the pills, weigh them with some very precise scales and put in a capsule. Can you see any problems with that?