monicaf: Tapering off Prozac after 23 years

monicaf

Hard to believe I have been taking Prozac for 23 years.  History of depression, anxiety, and OCD.  First diagnosed at 21, but remember being a sad child.  I started tapering from 20 mg to 10 mg in January 2015.  So far I'm doing pretty good.  The anxiety has ramped up a bit but I'm able to manage it fairly well by using meditation, magnesium, herbs and kefir.  For so long I've been afraid I couldn't cope with life without taking antidepressants.  Then one day I decided being on Prozac for so long was probably not a good thing.  It had lost most of its efficacy many years ago.  I had gone through trials of switching to Zoloft for a short time then back to Prozac in order to recharge the antidepressant effect.  That did work but the improvement didn't last very long.  My hope is to someday be totally off Prozac, even if it takes years.

Diagnosed at age 21 with Depression, Anxiety Disorder, and OCD.  Have been on and off (mostly on) ADs since then.  Took Prozac for 30 years with a few switches to Zoloft when Prozac pooped out.  Have attempted to stop Prozac a few times in the past 10 years, unsuccessfully. 

Jan 2015-decreased Prozac from 20 mg to 10 mg before I found this site. (Had more energy, improved memory and "normal" emotional highs and lows until April - then experienced increasing irritabilty and anxiety)

April 20, 2015-increased Prozac to 11 mg. (Anxiety and irritability improved within two days).  Will maintain this level for 4-6 weeks and in the future I will decrease dosage by no more than 10% intervals.  Am currently reading Anatomy of an Epidemic by Roger Whitaker.  Wish I had found this book earlier.  Well written and informative!

Jul 2015-updosed to 12 mg Prozac due to a major depressive episode.  After 2 days I'm feeling much better.  Will continue taking 12 mg for now.

November 8, 2019:  I’m finally off Prozac!  I slowly tapered down over several months.  I truly thought it would never happen because I had tried many times before.  What made it possible for me to successfully stop this time was the use of CBD oil from a reputable company during my taper.  It really helped with the withdrawal symptoms I always experienced during my numerous attempts before.  Thank you for the support I have received from the moderators as well as the posters who shared their stories.  

May 8, 2020:  I was hopeful that I had all the withdrawal symptoms behind me, but in late February I began having heart palpitations. I added a Magnesium supplement which seemed to help some, but then I started having internal shakiness and anxiety attacks.  I added 500 mg Taurine which further helped, but still didn’t quite give me the relief I needed.  I then added L-Theanine 200 mg at bedtime and it has really helped.  

• Moderator Emeritus

hi Monica!

23 years is a long time on AD's.  This site recommends reductions at 10% of your dose every month.  I see you did a 50% reduction in January - based on my experience (and many others) sometimes you get a delayed withdrawal effect a few months later.  Seeing as you are having some anxiety now, if i was you I would plan to stay on 10mg for a few months to really consolidate this reduction and then start a slow 10% taper after that.  

Good luck and welcome!

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Monicaf.

Welcome to SA! I'm glad you found this site.

I'm tapering off Fluoxetine as well, and after over 25 years.  Congratulations on getting to 10mg!  This is a critical dose you're at and I'm going to suggest you slow way down.  A 50% reduction is quite large, and as peggy mentioned, there tends to be a delay in the onset of withdrawal symptoms, particularly with Prozac/Fluoxetine.  This doesn't mean you'll suddenly fall off a wall, but don't be surprised if you feel a little worse over the next months or so.  Many people report about a 4-6 month delay.  4 months has been my experience, twice.

I say that 10mg is a critical dose because at this point your body is likely metabolizing the fluoxetine more quickly, and the plazma level of prozac is droping more rapidly with each reductions, so you could be much more sensitive to drops in your dose.  Are you symptomatic now? What sorts of symptoms are you experiencing?

I'm simply a member here.  A moderator will be along shortly to welcome you and help guide you further.  In the meantime it will help them and anyone that comes to your thread if you could create a signature.  Here's a link to how you do that: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Also, as peggy indicated, It's reccomended that you reduce your dose only by 10%, and do so every 5-6 weeks or so.  It varies by person, what they are able to tolerate and severity of symptoms.  Because you're dose is low at this point you might want taper by less than 10% and/or hold for longer.  Here's some guidance on tapering Prozac: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/759-tips-for-tapering-off-prozac-fluoxetine/

Again, Welcome to SA!

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi monicaf

Welcome to SA. You have already been given some great advice and links by Peggy and Addax. This thread is where you can ask questions, seek advice, record what's happening for you etc. We all have a personal thread. It's one per member so you might like to bookmark this page so you can come back to it.

I don't want to add too much at this stage. Might I recommend that you read the links provided and then come back here and post any comments, questions, concerns?

You have been on Prozac a long time. Other members have too. Our ethos is to support people to come off drugs well rather than quickly. Slow and steady wins the wellness race!

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Thanks for your responses.  The side effects I am currently dealing with are mainly irritability and anxiety.  I am also more emotional, but was expecting that because Prozac blunted my emotions.  I am wondering whether I should go back up on the dosage a bit.  I do think the suggestion of slower tapering might be better.  I have tried a few times before to get off Prozac but have not succeeded.  I am hoping that won't be the case this time.  This is the longest I have made it.

Diagnosed at age 21 with Depression, Anxiety Disorder, and OCD.  Have been on and off (mostly on) ADs since then.  Took Prozac for 30 years with a few switches to Zoloft when Prozac pooped out.  Have attempted to stop Prozac a few times in the past 10 years, unsuccessfully. 

Jan 2015-decreased Prozac from 20 mg to 10 mg before I found this site. (Had more energy, improved memory and "normal" emotional highs and lows until April - then experienced increasing irritabilty and anxiety)

April 20, 2015-increased Prozac to 11 mg. (Anxiety and irritability improved within two days).  Will maintain this level for 4-6 weeks and in the future I will decrease dosage by no more than 10% intervals.  Am currently reading Anatomy of an Epidemic by Roger Whitaker.  Wish I had found this book earlier.  Well written and informative!

Jul 2015-updosed to 12 mg Prozac due to a major depressive episode.  After 2 days I'm feeling much better.  Will continue taking 12 mg for now.

November 8, 2019:  I’m finally off Prozac!  I slowly tapered down over several months.  I truly thought it would never happen because I had tried many times before.  What made it possible for me to successfully stop this time was the use of CBD oil from a reputable company during my taper.  It really helped with the withdrawal symptoms I always experienced during my numerous attempts before.  Thank you for the support I have received from the moderators as well as the posters who shared their stories.  

May 8, 2020:  I was hopeful that I had all the withdrawal symptoms behind me, but in late February I began having heart palpitations. I added a Magnesium supplement which seemed to help some, but then I started having internal shakiness and anxiety attacks.  I added 500 mg Taurine which further helped, but still didn’t quite give me the relief I needed.  I then added L-Theanine 200 mg at bedtime and it has really helped.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Updosing a bit might be worth thinking about.  A 50% drop is significant and given the experiences of lag time with prozac an updose now might avoid trouble round the corner.   

Have your symptoms got worse/better/stayed the same since you dropped down?   and when was that start/mid/end Jan?   If you could fill out your signature with details of drops, doses, dates and symptoms that would be great.   Addax gave you a link on how to do that and we all have examples of a signature you can model yours on

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• 2 weeks later...

In January 2015 I had reduced my Prozac from 20 mg down to 10 mg -with no tapering.  By the end of March I was having quite a bit of anxiety and irritability, so I increased my dose to around 11 mg and am now feeling much better.  I plan to stay on the 11 mg dose for at least 4 weeks before reducing the dose another 10%.  Then I will adhere to the slow taper of 10% each time.  Hopefully that will allow me to one day be completely off Prozac.  Thanks to the support of this group I think I am finally going to succeed this time.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Monica , that's wonderful news that things have settled for you.  

It's amazing what a difference one or two mg's can make!

I think you're going to succeed this time too   :) .

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Administrator

Very good to hear. Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 months later...

I hit a wall last week.  Overwhelming depression and fatigue hit out of the blue.  All I wanted to do was sleep.  I had tapered down to 11 mg and things had been fine, other than life's general ups and downs.  I increased my dose to approximately 12 mg and after two days am feeling stable again.  I feel it was a set-back and am questioning whether I am ever going to be able to totally live without Prozac since I have been taking it for so many years.   I'm so glad to be feeling better and hope it continues.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad you are feeling better after the small updose, you may need to slow your taper.

I joined the new topic you started to your original intro thread, its one introduction/update topic per member.  Please add information and updates about your changing circumstances, and ask questions here.

Thanks for finding the original thread CW.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

monica, you may wish to hold here for a bit to let your nervous system settle down, then consider smaller decrements for the next leg of your taper.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

you have done extreme cuts, no wonder you are getting late onset withdrawal. I have been withdrawing from 40mg prozac for two years, and I'm now at 10,6mg. it takes time. 

If I were you, I would wait several months before any new reductions. 

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

Hold hold hold. You will stabilize but it may take time. If it's any consolation I've been on Ad's for 12 years total. Firstly Zoloft then Prozac for the last 5. I've successfully tapered to 2mg from 40mg. That has taken me 2.5 years so far.

I'm currently holding for a couple of months to really give my CNS some stability before I try to taper the last 2mg and I'm expecting this last taper to take me another 6 months to a year.

Someone on this site once told me that holding would become my friend. The holding pattern is as important as the tapering. That certainly has been the case for me.

I'm hoping that this post gives you some hope that it can be done.

Good luck.

2003 Zoloft for PND. No other Psych history before this.

2009 CT. Huge withdrawal. Voluntary hospital admission. Successfully stabilized on 40mg Prozac.

2012 CT after 2 years of tapering to 10mg. Another Disaster. No hospital admission. Stabilized 40mg Prozac

2014 CT after 2 years of tapering to 5mg. Destabilized but not as bad as previous. Found this site. Reinstated 5mg. Stabilized quickly but held for 6 months.

Feb 2015 4mg Prozac

March 2015 Tramadol for Pain after an OP. Didn’t realize it was an SNRI.

March 2015 3 mg Prozac

April 2015 2.5mg Prozac

May 2015 2mg Prozac

June 2015 Destabilized (After research believe it was delayed withdrawal due to the Tramadol)

July 11th 2015. Updosed to 2.5mg

Thanks for the support.  I am feeling better and do intend to hold at this level for a few months.  I will use a slow and steady taper thereafter.

• 4 years later...
On 4/8/2015 at 3:41 PM, monicaf said:

Hard to believe I have been taking Prozac for 23 years.  History of depression, anxiety, and OCD.  First diagnosed at 21, but remember being a sad child.  I started tapering from 20 mg to 10 mg in January 2015.  So far I'm doing pretty good.  The anxiety has ramped up a bit but I'm able to manage it fairly well by using meditation, magnesium, herbs and kefir.  For so long I've been afraid I couldn't cope with life without taking antidepressants.  Then one day I decided being on Prozac for so long was probably not a good thing.  It had lost most of its efficacy many years ago.  I had gone through trials of switching to Zoloft for a short time then back to Prozac in order to recharge the antidepressant effect.  That did work but the improvement didn't last very long.  My hope is to someday be totally off Prozac, even if it takes years.

I'm finally off Prozac!!  I slowly tapered down over several months.  I truly thought it would never happen as I had tried many times before.  What made it possible for me to get off this time was the use of CBD Oil from a reputable company during my taper.  It really helped with the withdrawal symptoms I always experienced during my numerous attempts before.  I want to thank you for the support I have received from the moderators as well as the many posters who shared their stories.

• 5 months later...

I just wanted to update my status.  I am still Prozac - free and am doing really well with the exception of encountering frequent spells of weepiness.  They usually hit unexpectedly but I am hoping they will begin to diminish before long.  Other than that I remain encouraged that I will continue to improve as time passes.  I wish you all good luck on your journeys.  

• Administrator

Hello, monicaf. At what dose did you stop taking Prozac? How frequently do you get weepy spells? When did they start? Do you have any other withdrawal symptoms? How's your sleep?

I stopped at 1 mg.  The weepy spells started mid February of this year and happen approximately 3-4 times per week.   Some weeks more, some weeks less.  I still experience more irritability and anxiety than when taking Prozac.  On most nights my sleep is good.  Interestingly, my interstitial cystitis/overactive bladder has greatly improved since stopping Prozac.  I am delighted to finally be off this drug.

• Administrator

In the last month, has the pattern of the weepy spells changed? Do they bear any relation to your menstrual cycle? Are you taking any other drugs?

Please update your signature with the information about going off Prozac.

Yes, the weepy spells have become far worse.  Almost like PMS weepiness, except that I am postmenopausal.  I’m taking no other drugs except CBD oil.  I thought I had updated my signature.  I must be doing it incorrectly.  Instructions please and I’ll try again.

• Administrator

Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

That sounds like withdrawal syndrome. Do you have any other odd symptoms?

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

No other odd symptoms currently.  I do agree that the weepiness is likely connected to the withdrawal.   I did start a magnesium supplement this morning.  I’ve felt calmer today, but that could just be a coincidence.  I was already taking a fish oil supplement but not on a daily basis.  I had thought about reinstating Prozac at 1 mg, but I really don’t want to.

On 11/8/2019 at 5:03 PM, monicaf said:

I'm finally off Prozac!!  I slowly tapered down over several months.  I truly thought it would never happen as I had tried many times before.  What made it possible for me to get off this time was the use of CBD Oil from a reputable company during my taper.  It really helped with the withdrawal symptoms I always experienced during my numerous attempts before.  I want to thank you for the support I have received from the moderators as well as the many posters who shared their stories.

• Administrator

You may be able to surf whatever waves are left from withdrawal if you treat your nervous system gently. Regular magnesium and fish oil might help quite a bit.

Please let us know how you're doing.

I just remembered one other odd symptom.  Heart palpitations.  Maybe the magnesium will help with that as well.

• Administrator
38 minutes ago, monicaf said:

I just remembered one other odd symptom.  Heart palpitations.  Maybe the magnesium will help with that as well.

When did this start, how often does it happen, how long do episodes last? How has this changed in the last 2 months?

Please update your signature.

They started late January 2020.   I tend to have them off and on during most days. Anxiety seems to make them somewhat worse.  

• Administrator

Are they getting better or worse over the last 2 months?

They were worse in April and seem about the same this month, so far.

• Administrator

Are you taking any B vitamins or other supplements?

You might try fish oil and magnesium supplements.

Also see

Taurine (L-taurine amino acid)

L-Theanine for anxiety, insomnia

Vitamin B12: essential for mood, nervous system

When trying supplements, try only one at a time, in a fraction of a dose, so you can see what it does.

Please let us know how you're doing.

I do take a multivitamin.  I am going to try taking Taurine and see if that helps.  I do notice that my nervous system seems very fragile.  Sometimes I experience a strange phenomenon like my insides are shaking.  Kind of like having internal chills.  Stress makes it worse.  I find that putting a heating pad behind my back tends to calm it down most of the time.  

• Administrator

You may be reacting poorly to the B vitamins in the multivitamin.

Since adding daily Taurine 500 mg and a Magnesium supplement the heart palpitations and excessive weepiness are better.  Slept quality has also improved.  

• ChessieCat changed the title to monicaf: Tapering off Prozac after 23 years