SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Skyler, the benzo-Lyrica connection

Skyler

• Moderator Emeritus

I can relate. I was feeling almost normal during my hold, then the tingling/RLS came back for no apparent reason. It was driving me crazy thinking what could have caused this - inaccurate measurement, random resurgence, etc. Turns out I didn't take Daylight Saving Time into consideration... The clocks went back an hour on Sunday, which is when the symptoms reappeared. I basically dosed an hour late. Very frustrating, I know. :(

I was thinking of you when posting on this. I just shifted back an hour to accommadate the time change. That was not the reason I became unstable.. but it was helping me STAY unstable. This is such a challenge. Eeek. It's hard for me to believe I was taking Lyrica OD 6 months ago, and at little as a year ago was able to reduce the dose in 25% increments. WOW... becoming sensitized to this stuff made a big difference.

By the way, I think of you a lot when my ears are ringing loudly....just wonder how you're doing.

At the moment I'm cursing the loud ringing. ARGH. Thanks for asking... until the last few days it was pretty good, so I should restabilize soon.

Thanks all for the BD greetings. I'm still in shock!

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Update... I'm stabilizing again.. tinnitus got ahead of me and I've been holding for the past 6 weeks.. I'll start tapering again the first of Jan. Groan. It's so very easy to rationalize going too fast, and I'm chomping at getting past the last part of the diazepam taper, now at .4 mgs. ARGH. That small amount is leering at me, telling me it has a grip as long as it's in my system, and me saying in turn, "When I can coast off without unnecessarily aggravating withdrawal... then and only then am I clear of that you." Rushing only makes things worse.

Question... I'm taking Jarrow Max Omega-3. The total omega 3 in 2 caps is 1200 mgs. I've been taking 4 caps or 2400 mgs a day so my system will acclimate. Would 5 caps total a day be a good, which is 3000 mgs, or should I take 6 caps total for 3,600. I know 3,000 is recommended for the regular daily dose.

Thanks for reading.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

An osteopath told me 3,000-4,000mg omega-3s per day is as good for pain.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

An osteopath told me 3,000-4,000mg omega-3s per day is as good for pain.

Hokay.. I'll go up to 4,000 for now. Thanks for responding.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm going on hiatus again due to work considerations, but will continue to post in media and Offtopic. Posted Image... see the chocolate addition. This one actually says how much chocolate we need to consume daily.. yes!

• Moderator Emeritus

Update..

Starting in January I'll be cutting .1 mgs diazepam a month for 4 months, dropping at .05mgs every other week until 0. At least that is the plan. LOL, the end of diazepam really is in sight.

Just now I'm in a small window (five mins from now small sounds could reemerge, but this is still an excellent sign)... NO tinnitus!!!!!! Hopefully it will be a memory by the end of this month. Whatever may come, begin January it's all ahead BENZO FREE. Hehehe... I can smell victory.

Weight wise...it's six months since the end of my diet (60 lb loss over 10 months) and I'm holding at 129 lbs . The 'Lyrica Munchies' continue to drive me !@#$%^&* and it's one day at a time, but given an 80% chance of regain in the first year, even without psychotropics, 'So Far, So Good.'

• Administrator

Yay!

Oh, you're tiny!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Administrator

(Jarrow Max DHA http://www.jarrow.com/product/90/Max_DHA contains only 286mg DHA+EPA per capsule. This makes it about half as strong as Natural Factors, etc.)

• Moderator Emeritus

(Jarrow Max DHA http://www.jarrow.co...duct/90/Max_DHA contains only 286mg DHA+EPA per capsule. This makes it about half as strong as Natural Factors, etc.)

So the bottom line cost for Jarrow as opposed to Natural makes the latter more cost effective? Argh, my head is spinning! II cancelled my second order on Amazon that was in process for Jarrow Max DHA. Natural is the better deal then.

Thanks for looking this over!

Oh, you're tiny!

LOL... Yup, Twiggy it is!

• Administrator

If you want to take 3,000-4,000mg EPA+DHA, you'd have to take more Jarrow capsules.

• Moderator Emeritus

If you want to take 3,000-4,000mg EPA+DHA, you'd have to take more Jarrow capsules.

I have been doing that, BUT the cost benefit ratio that seemed to justify Jarrow is not there. I'll order the Natural this time round.

Ouch... I was not taking enuf it appears.

Thanks!

Oh, you're tiny!

Tiny, not tinny. ;)

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

LOL... my math is the DREGS!!!!!

Barb, dunno where you got tinny from? Hehe.. maybe describing my ear?

Ohhhh for want of a good quip!

• Moderator Emeritus

oops.. error, sorry

Yup!

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

Yup!
Wisenheimer..

Thought I'd share the Christmas Picture I made up for my 90 yrs. Dad.. I took his small pooch Hildy to visit Santa at a feed and grain store. She kept her hat on for all of 10 seconds before vigorously shaking it off, long enough for the picture though. Hildy is half Brussels Griffon, and half Lasa Apso... and she does NOT bark!

Posted Image

• Moderator Emeritus

Hildy is half Brussels Griffon, and half Lasa Apso... and she does NOT bark!

Posted Image

Cute pict. and lucky Dad! :)

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

Adorable!

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Barb and RU. I think so to!

My name was changed from Dutch version of Schuyler to the English Skyler because it's easier to spell. I had to promise Alto no more nom de plume tweakers as this is my second reincarnation. Ya think? Posted Image

I've definitely mispronounced your name in my head for the entire time. I never saw it as Skyler. Wow, spins my head!

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Moderator Emeritus

I've definitely mispronounced your name in my head for the entire time. I never saw it as Skyler. Wow, spins my head!

Not sure I have that completely correct Alex. I took the name from a much beloved Uncle of my childhood. His family called him (phonetic) Skyler (also Uncle Sky which was cool) but it was spelled Schuyler. I guess this would not necessarily mean the two are pronounced same. I had not realized the name would be so awkward to use spell on the forum, so asked for the change. One that had me laughing was 'Shy' (RU, you had me in stitches. Posted Image).

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm going to keep my sig line for current doses, and use this for a more complete history. Will update periodically!

12/14 188 mgs Lyrica, (got tired of holding, shaved a few cautious mgs., still too symptomatic) 8/2-8/16 200 mgs tapered from 230 mgs, 4/24/12 cut 30 mgs to 250 mgs Lyrica. Begin 4/12: 300 mgs Lyrica. On and off from 2007.

9/23 .4 mgs diazepam holding, 8/22 4.5 mgs, 8/13 .5 mgs, 8/3 .55 mgs, 7/26 .6 mgs, 7/18 .65 mgs, 7/11 .70 mgs diazepam, 6/30 .75 mgs., 6/23 .8 mgs., 6/10 .90 mgs., 4/16 1 mg. Start Klonopin Taper 7/2010.

Requip 6/30 stabilized on .25 mgs (.025 mgs per ml.). Begin 6/12: .50 mgs Requip. On .25 to .5 mgs from 7/10.

• Administrator

It's slow, but it's progress! Good for you.

• Moderator Emeritus

Not sure I have that completely correct Alex. I took the name from a much beloved Uncle of my childhood. His family called him (phonetic) Skyler (also Uncle Sky which was cool) but it was spelled Schuyler. I guess this would not necessarily mean the two are pronounced same. I had not realized the name would be so awkward to use spell on the forum, so asked for the change. One that had me laughing was 'Shy' (RU, you had me in stitches. Posted Image).

i have a friend whose son is called Schuyler - named after his grandfather and it is pronounced Skylar

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• Moderator Emeritus

i have a friend whose son is called Schuyler - named after his grandfather and it is pronounced Skylar

Ah hah! I thought so. I was trying to tell Alto I had not really changed my name... just made it easier to spell. Wonder if I should have gone with Skylar (kidding, just kidding!)?

Thanks for checking into my blog thread. Posted Image

• Moderator Emeritus

I have two students by that name this year. One a boy one a girl. Spelled Skylar, Skyler.

Skylar.... the boy.

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

• Moderator Emeritus

The Grinch who stole Christmas! Posted Image

• Moderator Emeritus

I am stressed, and just ate an entire head of rabe... well, at least I didn't reach for carbs! LOL, the damage has to be pretty minimal, even for someone dieting to lose 3 lbs. from the holiday.

• Administrator

Ate a head of rabe! That does sound like an act of desperation.

Relax, the craziness is almost over....

• Moderator Emeritus

Ate a head of rabe! That does sound like an act of desperation.

Relax, the craziness is almost over....

I caved, had 2 squares of chocolate a chaser .. tastes a bit better doncha know.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Update:<br><br>It's been a 4 months hold as tinnitus continues to wane and my sanity is mostly restored.  I may not start tapering again until the end of Feb., (hopefully by then!).  Yesterday I was 90 mins late taking one of my QID doses of Lyrica (forgot don't ya know) and the 'bells and whistles' have been worse since.  Obviously tinnitus is still very unstable, but the improvement continues.<br><br>Tinnitus is a trial.. I've had it pretty easy with WD symptoms other  than tinnitus so I'm not really objective, but it seems to me it's a  trial all of it's own.  For one thing, it's very possible to have  tinnitus when there are NO other WD symptoms.. in other words, it is  very easy to tweak, and not so easy to stop. But it CAN stop.. mine  really is on the wane.  So folks with this.. if it's making you any  wares near as crazy as it was me in the past few months, STOP tapering  and let the sounds go out! They will do so, then you can start tapering  again at a cautious rate.. hopefully (LOL!) without rekindling the whole  process.  Or so I think.. were this not so I'd be very  apprehensive.  But for now, color me hopeful. <br><br>I'm planning to crawl off the remaining of the .4 mgs of diazepam. As Lyrica causes side effects, reasonable given the high dose, it would be the best to taper first.  But being on any level of benzos makes me nervous (anxiety coming into play).  If I ended up being hospitalized and a higher dose was prescribed it would be necessary to taper all the way down again.  And getting off benzos is no easier than any other psychotropic.  IMO, worse given the issues that can arise from updosing (meaning the physiologic response of one's body to WD from benzos, NOT because of supposed addictive properties).<br><br>I'm allergic to aspirin, and when my benzo taper is finished, (maybe by the end of June at a rate of .025 mgs a week).. I will get a Medic Alert bracelet. I'm going to list the aspirin allergy, AND an allergy to benzos so noone administers a benzo to me when I'm not in control of circumstances.  I'm going to be Benzo Free, and stay that way. Right On!!! (hehe.. that day is getting close, YES!  benzo taper start on 3.5 mgs klonopin was 7/2011)

• Moderator Emeritus

Update:

It's been a 4 months hold as tinnitus continues to wane and my sanity is mostly restored. I may not start tapering again until the end of Feb., (hopefully by then!). Yesterday I was 90 mins late taking one of the QID Lyrica doses (forgot don't ya know) and the 'bells and whistles' have been worse since. Obviously the tinnitus is still very unstable, but improvement continues. There are now times when it's barely audible, and hopefully it will soon stop all together. Then I will crawl off the remaining .4 mgs of diazepam.

As Lyrica is the drug troubling with side effects, reasonable given the high dose, it would seem best for tapering next. But being on any dose of a benzo makes me nervous. For example, if I was hospitalized for some reason, a higher dose could be prescribed, and I could end another long taper (yes, a little anxiety here, but for no reason do I want to get stuck on the infernal stuff, no way, now how). Getting off benzos is no easier than any other psychotropic. IMO, worse given the issues that can arise from updosing (meaning physiologic WD, and not the phantasied addictive properties which have played an unfortunate role for some).

Tinnitus is a trial.. And it's possible to have tinnitus when there are NO other WD symptoms.. in other words, it's easy to start, but not so easy to stop. But tinnitus CAN stop.. mine really is on the wane. So folks,.. if it's making you near crazy as it was me, HOLD and give the sounds time to flicker out! They will, and then you can resume at a cautious rate.. hopefully (LOL!) without rekindling the whole process. Or so I think.. were this not so I'd be very apprehensive. But for now, color me hopeful.

• Moderator Emeritus

Correction.. I started tapering klonopin 3.5 mgs in 7/2010. It will have taken me 3 years to get off, at least I hope it is no longer! What a journey. The crap was sickening me at the outset, but no more. I was on target to get off in 2 years, but got stuck because I unwittingly started to taper three meds at once (Lyrica, Requip, and diazepam) that cause tinnitus. There was cross over, and I've been paying since, very bad idea but I had no clue. Oh well, that was then, and now I'm getting adjusted to the new reality.

I've seen several questions about whether Omega-3 may effect tinnitus. I have not found there to be any effect, positive or negative. The tinnitus stated before I began to take fish oil, and did not improve or worsen after the begin date. From accounts I've read, it does help with other types of WD symptoms, and there is an overall health benefit as we do not get enough in our diets. I just blew off a case of the flu, and believe good diet with Omega-3 supplements played a role.

HOLDING is the hardest part of a taper.

My best to all,

Skyler

PS Hokay.. it's time for me to crawl back into my 'rabbit hole'. I'll be round to check in from time.

• Administrator

Good advice about holding, Skyler, thanks!

Tinnitus is a trial.. And it's possible to have tinnitus when there are NO other WD symptoms.. in other words, it's easy to start, but not so easy to stop. But tinnitus CAN stop.. mine really is on the wane. So folks,.. if it's making you near crazy as it was me, HOLD and give the sounds time to flicker out! They will, and then you can resume at a cautious rate.. hopefully (LOL!) without rekindling the whole process. Or so I think.. were this not so I'd be very apprehensive. But for now, color me hopeful.

Sounds exactly like my RLS. Easy to start, hard to stop and is my only withdrawal symptom at the minute. The advice about holding is spot on, I up-dosed in July and it made things worse. I think I might hold for 6 months or so (once stable) before attempting a cut. I think the fact I'm so sensitive is a sign my nervous system has had enough of all the changes I've made over the past year or so (drug, time, dose, etc). It will also coincide with a break in my studies, so if anything goes horribly wrong hopefully it'll be fixed by the time my course starts again.

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine