SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Rusty1 - Paxil withdrawal, help and advice welcome

Rusty1

Hello everyone,

I was originally at Paxil Progress and am transferring over here.  It seems like a great forum and am happy to be here for the support and guidance.

Brief history - I started Paxil 10 mg about 9-10 years ago for anxiety and ruminating thoughts.  I was also on a migraine med at the time (Zomig).  There was a period I tried to get off Paxil (about 5.5 years ago) and my doctor recommended I withdraw over 2 weeks and started me on Buproprion.  This had horrible results.  I went back on Paxil.  It helped ease the withdrawal effects, but never worked quite the same. I then had a bad interaction between Zomig and Paxil.  This led me to look into withdrawing completely from Paxil.  I then started withdrawing 10% per drop (4-6 weeks) and am currently at a pill weight of 0.014 g on my scale (a full sized pill ranges from .125-.129 g). My math puts me that I currently am on about 1.0 mg to 1.1 mg of active ingredient.

40 yo Male. Started Paxil about 15 years ago. 10 mg (pill weight .125 - .129 g). 5 yrs wanted less side effects, doctor took me off Paxil over couple week period and put me on Wellbutrin. Not good. Went back on Paxil. Relieved my symptoms, but didn't work as well and more side effects. Severe reaction between Paxil and Zomig Summer of 2012. Head was affected during warmer days (cloudiness, confusion, pressure). Began 10% withdrawal 10/24/12.

Withdrawel helped many symptoms, but also added side effects: nausea, dizziness, tiredness. Hyper-anxiety started January 2014.

Went through a 2 year period of de-realization (2016-2018).  Rarely any windows.  
Current dose: 0.00 as of 4/10/21.  Made a lot of progress in my withdrawal symptoms the last 2 years of my taper.  I think doing a liquid taper helped stabilize things on the lower doses.  A lot of my symptoms have reduced significantly.  Hoping for even more improvement now that I am off.
My thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8909-rusty1-paxil-withdrawal-help-and-advice-welcome/#entry150222

My first question I need help with:

Since I have been cutting pills down and I can get several dosages out of 1 pill, I did not refill my prescription on a monthly basis, as 1 month lasted me much longer.

I decided to refill my prescription recently and found that where my old refills say Zydus Pharmaceuticals, my new refill says ZyGenerics.  I tried taking the new medication and felt incredibly different (in a bad way) immediately.  It progressively got worse after 2-3 days, so I switched back to my older pills.  These worked and made me feel back to how I had been feeling.

I checked online and found that ZyGenerics and Zydus were the same company.  I talked to my local pharmacist and he said they show no difference in the manufacturer and they procure it from the same source.

Something is different.  I recognized it.  Whether the medication is slightly different, or possibly because it is "fresher" my body reacted differently.

I am getting quite nervous.  I do have some of my medication left to continue taking it and tapering, but it will not last me through the entire process.  I do have some medication I saved which is from the "version" that I feel comfortable with, but it is older, so I do not know how that will affect me if I go back to it.

I had not had any problems taking the medication in the past, with the only effects being from withdrawal symptoms.  

I am scared what will happen when I do not have my current reserves to rely upon.  I can try to take the latest refill I got (which made me have severe psychological side effects), I could re-order prescriptions in the future to see if those somehow "feel" different, and I could possibly switch to liquid - but that could have effect changes as well.  I was also wondering if going to a different pharmacy would result in the medication having a chance of being different (possibly more to my brain's liking).

Any ideas, thoughts, solutions, or plain comfort is welcome.

Thank you. :)  

40 yo Male. Started Paxil about 15 years ago. 10 mg (pill weight .125 - .129 g). 5 yrs wanted less side effects, doctor took me off Paxil over couple week period and put me on Wellbutrin. Not good. Went back on Paxil. Relieved my symptoms, but didn't work as well and more side effects. Severe reaction between Paxil and Zomig Summer of 2012. Head was affected during warmer days (cloudiness, confusion, pressure). Began 10% withdrawal 10/24/12.

Withdrawel helped many symptoms, but also added side effects: nausea, dizziness, tiredness. Hyper-anxiety started January 2014.

Went through a 2 year period of de-realization (2016-2018).  Rarely any windows.  
Current dose: 0.00 as of 4/10/21.  Made a lot of progress in my withdrawal symptoms the last 2 years of my taper.  I think doing a liquid taper helped stabilize things on the lower doses.  A lot of my symptoms have reduced significantly.  Hoping for even more improvement now that I am off.
My thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8909-rusty1-paxil-withdrawal-help-and-advice-welcome/#entry150222

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rusty, welcome to SA.  Many people find a difference between brands, and it seems that something has changed with the drug, even if they say it hasn't! 

I wouldn't worry about the older ones being too old, they are useable for years after the use by date! The military did some research and tests because they were wasting millions of $ throwing out off date drugs and they discovered that they are still good years after their expiry.  There is a link to the report on here somewhere, you could do a google search to find it if you need reassurance.  

It is possible to make your own liquid from your tablets, which might be better for you  because you may feel the difference between the liquid and tablets.

Here is our topic for tapering paxil,

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/405-tips-for-tapering-off-paxil-paroxetine/

Instructions how to make your own liquid.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thank you for the reply.

Still trying to figure out my game plan.  I have some medication left in my current bottle to help me go for a bit longer.  I have some medication slices shaved from previous tapers (although not quite as much as I thought).

I have become quite concerned what happens after that.  What if I get a recurrence of medication that has severe adverse effects?

There is definitely the part of worry before things happen that come into play, which I work on with my ACT therapist.

But, since I did try the latest refill and saw how it affected me, it was very scary.

It is possible that I potentially slightly miscut the pills (although I don't think so) or maybe it was a mental placebo (again I am doubtful).

I am still trying to figure out why my old prescription says manufacturer Zydus, while my new one says Zygenerics...although they apparently are the same.

I am planning on calling Zydus and seeing what I can find out and also calling several pharmacies to see if they happen to have access to the Zydus labeled (not Zygenerics).

Oddly enough my Mom is on Paxil and we both get our prescriptions from Fred Meyer, different cities.  We would have refilled it at about the same time.  Mine says Zygenerics, I asked her and hers said Zydus.  Makes me wonder.  I may have to consider using her Fred Meyer's...although when I contacted mine, they told me that nothing has changed and Zydus and Zygenerics are the same.

Any thoughts or help?  Thank you.  

The feeling of the 2-3 days I was on the new prescription refill was a scary enough feeling that I have become quite panicked.  I have worked so hard and have struggled a lot to get to this point.  Seeing it potentially get worse and have that feeling of "too big of a cut" or "cold turkey" is terrorizing.  It is not something I would want to experience again.

• Administrator

Welcome, Rusty.

Most likely, the company changed its name or merged with another company.

There is always some variation in strength among batches, particularly in generic drugs.

Please consider using a liquid to taper more precisely, see the links mammaP gave you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Welcome, Rusty.

Most likely, the company changed its name or merged with another company.

There is always some variation in strength among batches, particularly in generic drugs.

Please consider using a liquid to taper more precisely, see the links mammaP gave you.

So I called Zydus today.  They say there has been no change in the manufacturing of the product. Zygenerics is just another name they use.  The service rep I spoke to didn't understand tapering or why one would cut the pill.

I didn't expect them to provide any insight into what was going on, so I am still left in the same spot.

So far the cutting process has worked fine and the liquid taper doesn't fully answer my concerns.  I get that making a liquid will make tapering more precise and can be effective (particularly when measuring smaller dosages).  

My concern is I do have a finite amount of pills that my brain/body is currently tolerating.  I am searching for how to find pills out there that have the same effect on me.  My last refill had negative effects which made it seem as if they were unsuitable to use.

I have a lot of questions, but not sure what to do.  I need to find a way to continue to have Paroxetine that my body tolerates so I can continue my taper.  I also wonder if because my medication I currently am using is 1 year old vs. my current refill which I picked up in March, could have any potential contributions on medication age?

Ordered my medication from a different location to see if that produces any better results. I should be able to get those in a week or so.

My hyper anxiety is in full affect,e almost a CT feeling happening. It hasn't happened yet, but I remember when I tried the latest medication I picked from the pharmacy it gave me that feeling. Afterwards when I switched back to the pills i still had left, i cut them slightly too small (.001 mg) and it gave me that same feeling. Correcting that made me feel better, within my normal withdrawal expectations.

Very afraid of things getting worse. Scared of not being able to work and putting stress on the people who love me. And of course, afraid of how badly the physical and emotional feeling could be. It feels like being a zombie with no sense of your self.

Thank you for any support, kind words, or advice.

• Administrator

The liquid will allow you to taper more precisely.

It is possible your older prescription is weaker, if the tablets have been exposed to heat or humidity, and a new prescription feels stronger. It is also possible that, although you have done the best you can with pill cutting, your dosing has been a little irregular.

With Paxil, a particularly difficult drug to taper, irregular dosing can make a difference and trigger withdrawal symptoms -- which is why we've recommended liquid titration.

It's difficult to tell whether you have withdrawal symptoms or activation from too-high dosage. The only way to tell is by holding variables steady and seeing what happens.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but a couple of thoughts:

1. maybe mixing the old and the new together might produce better results, that way your body adjusts to the newer pills. 

2. Is buying a scale that can accurately measure the shavings an option? I know they are expensive, but it might help keep you on the pill you are more comfortable with

1999 Prozac with occasional Xanax 

2002 Effexor Xr with occasional Valium

2010 Off Effexor (slow taper)

2010 Prozac rx to help with Effexor withdrawal. Activating, so stopped.

2011 Zoloft rx

2013 Zoloft stops working after a few increases, decide to stop taking it

2013 October last Zoloft dose after a 6-9 month taper

2014 January, April, May, June ER inducing anxiety attacks

2014 June Ativan prescribed as needed. Last taken Nov 2014, but still have pills just in case

Thank you for the replies. I do have a nice scale that I have been using. Very rarely do I encounter any issues with it.

The pills I have been using are roughly a year old and my home does not have a/c. There is the possibility they may not be as strong.

What I would say is using my current pills I notice very similar withdrawal patterns through my decrease. I hadnt noticed any issues when I used older pills and refilled my prescription before. I have become more sensitive, as alcohol and caffeine did not bother me through the first part of my taper, but now I really can notice side effects from them (and cut both out of my diet).

I am willing to try doing a liquid. I will need to read the thread on it to get a firmer grasp.

Do people notice much change when making their own liquid from their pills vs. taking their pills?

And can getting a slightly higher dose have the same effects as dropping too far? When I did try the new pills it felt as though it was a drastic change - what I feel like when I drop too much. Since I am not going up in dosage, it is possible that could be the cause.

Regarding making my own liquid, what is a recommendation on how to do that with the old medication and new medication? I can do this using my old medication, but I still am looking for advice on what to do regarding when I must jump to the newer pills. That has been a scary proposition to me and I would like some outside opinions.

Thank you

• Administrator

NervousKitten had a brilliant idea, mixing the old pills and new pills in a liquid.

This is what makes withdrawal syndrome so tricky: Symptoms change. Your change in symptoms may not be due to a difference in the drug, but a difference in the way your nervous system is reacting. Taking too much can produce uncomfortable symptoms, as can taking too little.

You can't tell by the symptoms which is which. All you can do is conduct a precise experiment: Hold variables constant while changing only one thing and see what happens.

If I were to try making a liquid version, could I get some individual help.  As to be expected during withdrawal my critical thinking and comprehension isn't always the best.   :P

What I cut my current pills to is .014 mg. Based off my 10 mg prescription (pills weigh about .125-.126 mg), this puts me at a dose of roughly 1.1 mg.

I could by a suspension liquid, oral syringe, and graduatuated cylinder, etc...whatever I needed.

How would one go about making a liquid?  Not the grinding of the pill, etc...but the mathematics of formulating the liquid with the pills to get my current dose?

And further, as stated above I am slowly running out of my older pills which I am used to, using pieces of those to make a liquid - rather than using a whole pill.

* Regarding NervousKittens idea of mixing the two.  This could easily be done in a liquid (and probably ideal), but I was wondering on thoughts if I started putting my pills in gelatin capsules. I could cut a piece of the old and the new and put them in a capsule.  Would this be plausible?  It probably wouldn't be as accurate.  I have noticed that if I take 2 pieces instead of one (standard water and swallowing) that my body notices.  I wonder if combining pieces in a capsule would regulate this better.

Again, thank you!

• Administrator

It's always more helpful to speak here of the dosage you're taking (approximately 1.1mg?) rather than the weight you're dealing with.

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules explains in detail how to mix a liquid to a certain proportion.

For example, you could put a 10mg tablet in 10mL water for a 1:1 dilution. There would be 1mg in 1mL and 0.1mg in 0.1mL.

The 1:1 dilution would require a small 1mL oral syringe. To reduce 10% from 1.1mg, you would take 1mL. Another 10% reduction would be 0.9mL.

The 1:1 dilution might be a little thick. For convenience, you may wish to make a higher dilution of 10mg tablet in 20mg water for a 1:2 ratio. There would be 1mg in 2mL and 0.1mg in 0.2mL. If you made this liquid, your dose would be 2.2mL (1.1mg). To reduce by 10%, you would take 2mL (1mg).

About 4 weeks since my last drop. At this point I wanted to be thinking about my next drop at the 5 week point. For 3 first 3 weeks the drop was going okay. I panicked on Monday worrying about my medication and if the new medication would make me feel much worse.

Since then I have felt very bad and can't get out of it. I feel like everything is surreal and there is a veil between me and the real world. It is scary not to feel apart or in control of your life and have feeling that you are losing grips with reality.

Trying to relax myself, spend time getting more rest, and see what happens.

• Moderator Emeritus

The change in the way your medication has effected you and the resulting anxiety would have caused you a significant increase in stress, so it may take a while before your NS settles back down now. I agree that focusing on relaxing is the best idea now. Re stabilize on your current dose. If I were you I would forget about your next cut until you are feeling better.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Woke up last night from a bad dream right into the middle of a panic attack.  I didn't realize I was in a panic attack until several minutes went by.  Scary as I felt like I was teetering the line between reality and going crazy.

Have not had a panic attack that bad in about a year and a half, but that time I felt it build up.

Slept some throughout the night, although it felt like I just laid there awake.  Definitely nervous energy in my body in the morning and my anxiety is higher today.

Thankful I have people around me who were there to help and support me.

Had some dizziness in the mornings lately.  Yesterday head kicked in with feeling a bit more tired and feeling different.

• Administrator

Rusty, when was your last decrease?

See The Windows and Waves Pattern of Recovery

Rusty, when was your last decrease?

See The Windows and Waves Pattern of Recovery

4/5/15

Using this thread to ask questions, as well as a somewhat kept up journal of symptoms/goings on, so people have an idea of another user going through withdrawal, as well a record for others when I do have questions.

Or for people just to stop by and offer support.

I have noticed that my symptoms have been similar to previous drops, just maybe occurring for a longer period this time.  I took a break from lowering my dose for quite a while.  My last drop was in the beginning of December 2014.  (edited my About Me page to give my full history)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rusty,

Thank you for updating regularly, it will help others who are going through the same thing.

Its your signature section which needs to be kept up to date with your tapering history, it appears below each of your posts.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

So I got the pills from the other pharmacy that had the pills still labeled under Zydus, not ZyGenerics.  It has been 6 weeks since my last taper and a lot of my symptoms had died down so I decided to try the new pills pills I picked up and cut them to the same weight 0.014 mg as I have currently been at.

Took my first dose today.  So far I do not feel very well.  Similar symptoms to my last prescription I picked up under ZyGenerics (manufacturer says both Zydus and ZyGenerics are one and the same).   :(   Feeling a lot different in my head.  Oddly most of my anxiety goes aways, but I pick up the "zombie" feeling, a numbness in the front of my head, worsening of symptoms when I push myself physically (basically working and driving, otherwise normal activities), tiredness, and just the general sense of feeling different.  Time seems to pass slowly while feeling this way.  Yet when I think back, my memory of the days events is much worse than usual.  Things seem darker, distant, and I feel closed off in my head.

Wondering what to do from here.  Last time I went back to my old pills and it helped.  Guessing I probably should do the same this time.

Also worry about the fact that at some point I will probably have to transition to these pills.  The idea of making a liquid and combining the two to slowly transition is a good idea.  What if I did the same, but did gel caps (as changing to a liquid could cause issues itself) and cut my doses of the two pills to equal my total dose?

Feeling a bit better going back to my old pills. Any type of activity, taking out the garbage and walking around makes things worse.

Will continue taking the older pills. Scared of what will happen when those eventually run out.

• Administrator

This is a good idea:

1. maybe mixing the old and the new together might produce better results, that way your body adjusts to the newer pills. 

2. Is buying a scale that can accurately measure the shavings an option? I know they are expensive, but it might help keep you on the pill you are more comfortable with

This is a good idea:

What do you think about me trying that and combining them in a pill gel cap?

That was my next thought of something I could try.

• Administrator

Sure, you can combine fragments in a gel cap. This will make weighing more complicated, though, because you'll have to weigh and calculate each type separately.

Sure, you can combine fragments in a gel cap. This will make weighing more complicated, though, because you'll have to weigh and calculate each type separately.

I have been cutting my pills to a weight of .014 mg. I could do the same and have both fragments weigh for a total of .014 mg. I was thinking only 20-25% of the total weight should be the "newer" medication to start.

Does this sound reasonable?

Slowly feeling better after trying the pills from the other pharmacy.  Morning anxiety is the worst symptom lately.

I seem to notice I have a lot of self induced anxiety lately, which is not helping, from worrying about what I will do with my pill situation.

Before I tried taking the pill from the other pharmacy I was ready to do another drop.  Thinking about doing that soon.

I want to try working in smaller doses of the new pill and building up a tolerance, see if that works.  If anyone has suggestions on how they themselves would go about it, that would be great to get another opinion.

Also been feeling worn out mentally and physically from the whole process.  It has been almost 3 years since I had had my bad reactions with the medication and started tapering.  Definitely feeling worn out and burnt out from the entire process.  Worrying about the fact that in general my taper has gone pretty good, but could hit future roadblocks is wearing on me.  I am on a dose of roughly 1.1 mg currently and notice that slight changes affect me quite a bit.  Knowing that I could be forced to endure large changes if/when my old medication runs out and I may be forced into a situation with much more severe side affects has been quite trying for me to think about.

Been putting extra anxiety on myself by worrying about how my remaining pill situation can play out.  Try to use the techniques I learn from my ACT Therapist, but when anxiety waves like this hit it is hard.

Mostly worried that I will encounter a horrible situation of side effects.  I still have pills and can continue tapering.  Have some even older pills which may work and give me a little more time.  I will buy some gel caps to see if I can slowly introduce the new pills.  Also if the issue is that the new pills are just stronger and not from a different manufacturer (which the manufacturer says that there has been no changes in their pills), than in theory if/when I got to that point I could cut the doses of the new pills to less than what I am currently on to counteract them being more potent, until I hit the right dose.  My body quickly notices when I am on a different dose and has reacted quickly to when I supply it with the current dose.  The fact that I notice so quickly and intensely when I cut the new pills makes me fear that if I ever needed to, that a reinstatement wouldn't work.

These are the things I tell myself to give myself hope.  Withdrawal has been difficult enough so far...I really don't want it to get worse.  That is very scary.  As we know withdrawal anxiety is very intense and my anxiety right now is nearly giving me as many side effects as withdrawal itself.

Bought some gel caps and am going to try mixing the medications to see if I can tolerate the new medication.

My pill weight is .014 g, which is roughly 1.1 mg of Paxil. I cut my old medication to .013 mg and added .001 of the new medication.

We will see what happens. I hope I am doing the right thing. At this point I think all options will make me nervous.

The other thing I will need to figure out, if I react favorably to adding the new medication in, is how to institute drops in my schedule.

Interesting,took my first pill mixing doses per post above, and have side effects that mimic closer to my typical withdrawal, not the same intensity as when I took the full pill new.

The new side effect is breaking out in hives. Hmmmm...wonder if it was caused by the medication or stress? I didn't break out into hives (at least I don't remember anything this bad) when I took the whole pill.

Second day of taking my mixed pill with 0.013 g of the old and 0.001 g of the new.

Head feeling similar, but less than yesterday.

Noticing that I still have hives. It goes away and comes back throughout the day. No other changes other than this.

What do people make of it and what would they suggest? I was looking forward to being able to "transition" the pills, but seem to keep hitting road blocks.

Edit: Suggestions anyone? Possible the hives may go away after I get used to it?

Not sure what my best option is...I can continue doing what I am doing and hives are continually possinle...or I can go back and continue on my old medication, but I won't be able to finish my withdrawal on that medication, it will run out - hence why I am trying to slowly switch.

Altostrata, anyone?

Thank you!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rusty,

If you didn't get the hives when you took the whole pill, my guess is that its probably being caused by stress, or you might be reacting to the new gel caps. Maybe try taking the pill fragments without putting them into a gel cap.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Going to try mommaP, Altostrata, and Petunia's advice and work on introducing a suspension liquid into my taper.

Right now I am trying to acclimate myself to the new medication (which I believe is stronger).  Measuring the 0.001 mg is hard using the scale, so I bought the equipment to make a suspension (off Amazon) and should have it soon.  I will continue cutting my pills via the scale to .001, then will try doing the .001 in a liquid form to add to my old medication and hopefully can be more accurate and while I wean myself onto the new medication I can wean myself onto using a liquid as well.

I have noticed in the past if I swallow 2 pills not in a gel capsule I feel a difference, so I expect the same with the liquid.  With an amount like .001, I probably can put it into a gel cap, correct (and swallow before it dissolves :P )? 

Thank you for all the help.  We will see how this goes.

edit: Bought a suspension liquid, 1 ml syrince, and a 10 ml syringe for measuring the suspension liquid when mixing with crushed whole pill.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes  is possible to use gel capsules for the liquid. It looks like you are very organised and ready to start your liquid taper.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Any suggestions on if I make a liquid how long it would last?

It sounds like in the topic thread what was recommended was to take your dose and discard the rest. In this case my dose would only be a fraction of a pill so it would be wasteful...but if it is smarter to make fresh each time I will.

It was not wanting to be wasteful that got me in this predicament of not tolerating the stronger fresh pills. :/

Any suggestions on if I make a liquid how long it would last?

It sounds like in the topic thread what was recommended was to take your dose and discard the rest. In this case my dose would only be a fraction of a pill so it would be wasteful...but if it is smarter to make fresh each time I will.

It was not wanting to be wasteful that got me in this predicament of not tolerating the stronger fresh pills. :/

Any help on this question as I should be getting my stuff to make a liquid today?

Thank you.