chris111: Zoloft - Ringing Ears

chris111

Hello.

My PCP prescribed me ZOLOFT (100mg) for anxiety along with trazodone (100mg) for sleep.

I took 1 ZOLOFT (100mg) pill and had a bad experience and never took it again. I took TRAZODONE for 7 days to help me sleep (25mg) then I switched over to AMBIEN (5mg) and now melatonin (3mg). 

I found out later on that I did not have an anxiety problem and that all I had was a breathing problem of which I have already corrected by doing 1 simple breathing exercise..  (I should of known better.. -_-).

So I guess I am going through a withdrawal? (This is my first time experiencing these things in my life)

So now I am stuck with the withdrawal symptoms that many of the users on this forum are currently experiencing. 

I can deal with the other general withdrawal symptoms such as 

- Dizziness and the feeling of fainting (They have subsided)

- Insomnia (Getting better sleep without any medications lately 6-8 hours)

- Appetite (Getting WAY better than the beginning)

- Restlessness (Improving, since I only force myself to sleep at night and not during the day)

- No Sex drive (Came back, but holding everything back till I fully recover. lol)

- Numbness (Not feeling it on my pinky and ring fingers anymore, but on my arms now during sleep)

It has already been a little over 4 weeks since I took the pill.

What bugs me the most is the sound of a million crickets (its like a "swooshing") sound that is going off within the region of my left ear.

In the beginning it was going off all day and night, now, it is not as intense because when I do light exercises, it stops. When I am in class, it stops, when I am driving, it stops. When I listen to music, it stops.

But right when I lay down in bed, (sleep for example) it goes on but not as much, and this happens when if I were to sit still. And in the mornings when I wake up (I think its anxiety produced by the withdrawal).

So I am guessing that it tends to happen only when there is silence.

I heard the average withdrawal period is 6-8 weeks and that full recovery is within that duration of time (correct me if I am wrong).

Is this a sign of progress and does this particular sound go away (along with the other symptoms)? 

Thanks.

First, let me say I am so sorry that this happened to you, beyond annoying. I have a couple of ideas, but will wait until the peeps in charge chime in, in case I am wrong. They should be along shortly. Again, how awful to take those various drugs and find out you didn't even need them and adding insult to injury, you get withdrawals. That swooshing sounds beyond annoying. Wondering

Trazodone 150-300 nightly

Ambien CR. 3-5 times a week

Taking Klonopin crossing over to Valium started 6-25-15

Thanks for your kindness.

Sorry, but I didn't quite get a part of your post.

Who are the peeps in charge?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Chris ,  welcome to the site.    I'm so sorry you had such a bad reaction to Zoloft.

All the symptoms you describe are common in withdrawal , and as you're finding they tend to become less intense and less frequent

as you heal.

Unfortunately , there is no "average" withdrawal period to my knowledge.  

Many may fully recover in 6 to 8 weeks , but for others it takes longer , as you'll see from the threads you've read.

The important thing is that you are continuing to improve . . . your symptoms are lessening , and should reside with time.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi Chris111 - Welcome to SA.

So sorry you had to take these meds unnecessarily and are now suffering the consequences. Just in case Wondering isn't around I will answer your question re 'peeps'. Hope you don't mind Wondering?

You have found a great site here with lots of info and advice to help you. I am just a member like you but we have Moderators( ie peeps) who are very knowledgable and experienced and are the best to advise you regarding your meds.

I am sure a Moderator will talk to you soon.

Best Wishes

Flowers

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

@Fresh 

Thanks for the input. I hope a full recovery with a few more weeks.

@Flowers

Ohh, I see.

Thanks for the heads up.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Chris, welcome to SA.  It is awful that you are getting withdrawal from so few pills but sadly it is not unusual. It is a good thing that your symptoms are becoming less as time goes by.  The tinnitus, or strange sounds will ease too in time. It seems worse when it is silent because you are more aware of it. When you are busy or there is background noise it isn't as noticeable.   It is encouraging that you are feeling much better now and hopefully the last symptoms will soon be gone. 

Have you stopped the ambien too and switched to melatonin or are you still taking ambien, I'm not sure from your post if you have stopped it. 

You will find this topic interesting...

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

I don't think I need to tell you  to avoid  psychotropic drugs after the reactions you had!  We have a great topic with lots of suggestions for non drug ways of dealing with emotional symptoms. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1112-non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

@mamap 

Thanks for the support.

I am no longer taking any sleeping aids at the moment, but If I do, then it would be Melatonin.

Hey guys,

I forgot to mention that I did some research and it seems that trazodone also has similar side effects to the zoloft, and they both have withdrawal effects.

Has anybody experienced this sound off trazodone alone?

Could it be the trazodone that is causing the ringing sound within my ear, instead of the zoloft?

Also,

I took a blood pressure test and it looks like I have prehypertension, my heart rate is at 120/79.

I read up that tinnitus can also be caused by blood pressure that is above normal.

It looks as if the zoloft or trazodone withdrawal produces high blood pressure causing tinnitus?

O_o

• Moderator Emeritus

It's not really possible to tell which of the drugs is causing the different w/d symptoms.  

It could be one or the other , or both.

Tinnitus (ear-ringing) is a feature of w/d from a whole range of antidepressants , ssri's , snri's , tricyclics , MAOI's , tetra-cyclics.

I'm pretty sure if you did a search for Trazodone and tinnitus you would find some threads where people have had tinnitus after taking just trazodone.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

My ears started ringing after I stopped taking Lexapro, but my drug history is much longer than yours. I'm sure your symptoms will go away in a little more time, focus on making healthy lifestyle choices and taking care of yourself the best you can.

6 Ways To Lower Blood Pressure By Changing Your Diet

Taking a magnesium supplement can also help to lower blood pressure in a more natural way, see:

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 2 weeks later...

@Petunia

I have magnesium glycinate at home of which I took towards the beginning of the withdrawal, and it gave me insomnia (a few other members on here experienced this as well.)

I might take it again and see what happens since it has been over a few weeks since the initial withdrawal day.

When it comes to the semi-high blood pressure. I will try exercising again along with taking a blood test to see if I am deficient in MAGNESIUM because I did take a blood test a 2 weeks prior to taking the ZOLOFT pill and it indicated that I was semi low on magnesium and therefore I think it could be contributing to the blood pressure along with the sound because a deficiency in magnesium can also cause the "ringing".

Good evening,

My ears have been ringing non-stop for the duration of my Paxil taper (approximately three weeks). It is very upsetting and, as previously mentioned, much more noticeable when I am in bed or there is no background noise.

I have just made my second cut to 20 mg of Paxil today, so I hope this doesn't get much louder.

Good luck to all of you brave souls who are going through w/d!

Username: quitpaxil2015 - Started antidepressants sometime in 1990. Misdiagnosed with Bipolar, but later with thyroid disease in1998 (8 years of being on several different psychiatric meds with several psychiatric hospitalizations). Total thyroidectomy in 1999. At the time, was on 85 mg of Paxil. In 2001, tried to get off Paxil and had car crash due to vertigo and w/d symptoms. Given more psychiatric meds including Prozac and Trazodone to treat SEVERE w/d from Paxil - which is the only reason I still take Paxil. Tried to taper off Paxil again in 2004  - from 25 mg to 20 mg (5 mg cuts) - had to go back on 25 mg on the 10th day of the taper due to inability to function (dizziness, vertigo, motion sickness, crying spells, depersonalization, etc). Currently on Paxil 25 mg and Trazodone 100 mg. Trying to quit Paxil in 2015. April 22, 2015 - Paxil 22.5 mg. May 13, 2015 Paxil 20 mg. June 3, 2015 - Paxil 17.5 mg. June 24, 2015 - Paxil 15 mg. Don't remember  - 12.5 mg. August 5, 2015 - Paxil 10 mg. September 16, 2015 - 7.5 mg (considering going back up - severe anxiety/panic) September 28, 2015 - back up to 10 mg. October 6, 2015  - back up to 15 mg.   :unsure:

Giving everyone an update on my condition.

I expected a full recovery with 6-8 weeks. But it looks like it will have to take a little longer.

I am still hearing the sound within the left region of my ear, but I still see very little progress. As I mentioned from my first post, I still hear the sound when I lay on my bed and even when I go to sleep. In the mornings when I wake up, I hear it.

But when I go on with my day, it is masked by other "sounds" making me not hear it at all.

So, I believe when there is silence, along with a resting position, then it occurs.

I will also get a blood test to see if I am low in magnesium, because before all of this, It was indicated that I have a low magnesium level of which can contribute to the blood pressure along with the tinnitus. 

The condition is called "magnesium deficiency".

The withdrawal symptoms are still hanging out, but they have lessened. Although it seems like everything is at a "standstill". 

And I will look into 5-HTP again, although I did take 5-HTP a few times in the beginning, I stopped taking it since I have read on this it was best for me to avoid the natural serotonin meds within the process of healing.

Or does the serotonin supplement only apply to those with long term use of antidepressants?

Any additional advice or tips would definitely help.

Anyways.. hoping for a full recovery soon.

• Moderator Emeritus

My PCP prescribed me ZOLOFT (100mg) for anxiety along with trazodone (100mg) for sleep.

I took 1 ZOLOFT (100mg) pill and had a bad experience and never took it again. I took TRAZODONE for 7 days to help me sleep (25mg) then I switched over to AMBIEN (5mg) and now melatonin (3mg). 

Hi chris,

I've quoted part of your first post because I wanted to make sure I understand your drug history.

You took zoloft for 1 day

Trazodone for 7 days

How long did you take Ambien for?

Is ear ringing (tinnitus) at night, the only symptom you have now? When exactly did the ear ringing start? Was it after you took the one pill of zoloft? That night? The next day? After you stopped trazodone? What was the bad experience that zoloft caused?

If you could add some dates to your history, that would be helpful. Putting it in your signature makes it even easier.  Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Are you or did you take any other drugs or medications recently?

It sounds to me like you are suffering from an adverse effect from something, not withdrawal. Taking one pill does not cause withdrawal and its unlikely you would still be suffering withdrawal from 7 days of trazodone use, one month later.

I suggest you don't take any serotoninergic drugs or supplements, that includes 5-htp, you may be one of a group of people who are sensitive to these kinds of substances.

If you have had an adverse effect, you will recover, it may just take a little more time.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

• Administrator

Welcome, chris.

Please read What is withdrawal syndrome?

Topics about fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

How long did you take Ambien and how did you go off it?

Why do you think withdrawal syndrome lasts 6-8 weeks?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, 

My apologies for the late reply, I am trying to keep my mind off from the forums too keep my mind clear.

But, now that I have logged on again today, reading all the posts again, and trying to connect the dots relating to this condition before this happened.

I do not think I am not suffering from a withdrawal, but something else, like Petunia mentioned.

I did not post what I was experiencing in full detail at the beginning of this thread, because I thought that I would recover in a short period of time, therefore I did not post other relevant information.

Let me start over from the beginning, so you guys can get an snapshot of what I have went through and my condition as of today.

I started to experience a variety of symptoms, much like a antidepressant withdrawal, during the beginning of this year.

I was not on any medication at all before these symptoms started appearing.

Here is the rundown.

(January)

At first, I started developing insomnia, and then other symptoms started stacking on top .

-Headaches (light and intense)

-Heart palpitations (Skipping beats, high pulse rate)

-Sensitive to sound and bright lights

-Ringing in ears (I was experiencing the ringing sound towards the edge of both of my ears)

-Unsteadiness while standing, along with dizziness while walking

-Pins and needle sensation (when the temperature around me gets hot)

-Fingers became numb during the middle of the night

-Muscle Spasm (Occurred once)

-Head felt heavy and my body felt light during most of these days from January - March

-Vision was not accurate, blurry from time to time

-Vibrating and tingling sensation throughout my whole body during the days

-Fatigue and dizziness

-Short term memory and mood swings.

-Episodes of heat flashes

These symptoms started occurring from January to March. So I decided to seek help, because I needed answers.

In March, I took a blood test and the only item that was low was my magnesium. So then I decided to take MAGNESIUM GLYCINATE, and my symptoms started to dissapear, and I thought I was going to do okay. But they came back a few weeks later.

Then, I made an appointment to go see a neurologist, and he thought that I had ANXIETY and therefore prescribed me the anxiety medication by the name  of BUSPAR (or buspirone).

I took it for a few days and it did not work. So i decided to make another appointment to see the neurologist, but it was not till a month later so I decided to go to a general physician instead.

My physician told me that I could have anxiety, so she then prescribed me ZOLOFT and TRAZODONE, both at 100mg. 

@Petunia

After reading your post, I believe you might be correct, and that it is not a withdrawal, but it could be something else.

Let me answer the questions from your post,

How long did I take the ambien for?  

- I only took it a few times at 5mg, because I could not sleep on some nights after I stopped using the TRAZODONE.

Is ear ringing (tinnitus) at night, the only symptom you have now? When exactly did the ear ringing start? 

-The tinnitus happens throughout the day, but it stays continuous when I lay on my bed. The ringing started before the medication but the sound was towards the end of my ear, now I only hear it inside my left ear.

Was it after you took the one pill of zoloft? That night? The next day? After you stopped trazodone?

- It got louder the next day after the ZOLOFT. That day along with the next 6 days, it continued when I started the TRAZODONE and after I quit the        TRAZODONE.

What was the bad experience that zoloft caused?

- The night that I took it, I was fine for the first 4 hours, The symptoms I mentioned all started to go away within minutes. I thought I felt normal and cured. I was energetic and up and going  and then it hit me. I started experiencing heart palpitations, sweating, frequent urination, blurry vision, weird thoughts, insomnia, almost every side effect, of which lasted for 2 and a half days. 

Are you or did you take any other drugs or medications recently?

- I did not take any medications beforehand. 

Symptoms I am expericing at the moment.

-Episodes of heat flashes (mornings and night, they last for about 15 seconds or so and then they stop and come back hours later)

- Ringing in ears (throughout the day, a little more serious at night, but not to the point where I can not take it. It seems to be getting better, but I cant really tell? o_o) (The ZOLOFT brought the sound to "surface")

- Bloated stomach  (Getting better and still eating 3 meals a day)

- Light sensitivity (Towards the mornings, it wakes me up, and at night when I am on my computer, it irritates my eyes a little (bright     lights).

- Arms jerking (Happens every now and then before I go to sleep, its like that twitching feeling, "popping up and down")

-Eye zaps? (its like the brain zap, but it happens once a couple of days ago, did not really happen a few days after that day. 

-Light blurry vision (Not as bad as the beginning, but it starts happening at night if I were to stand far away and focus on a object or something,)

-Body vibrations (Towards night time, its like a light vibration feeling) sort of like a massage thing. lol..

- Shortness of breath (Happens throughout the day, on and off)

All of these symptoms are very similar to the ones I was experiencing before all of this. 

I think I might have a magnesium deficiency (most likely), dehydration (most likely), or it could just be anxiety (not quite sure now..).

I HATE DIAGNOSING MYSELF AND BEING WRONG AT THE END !!

but...

I stopped taking the ZOLOFT because of the side effects I experienced that night. It could of just been the dose of the pill (100mg) I have yet to try any other antidepressant.

I believe all of this started (I could be wrong) to occur due to the alcohol that I was consuming. I was consuming more alcohol than water before the beginning of this year. I was consuming 40oz beers on the daily and some hard liquor every now and then.  It could of depleted a lot of my vitamins and minerals.

I will take another blood test and start to drink more water and see how it goes.

@Altostrata

I took fish oil a couple of weeks ago and I got a weird reaction and it gave me insomnia, but I'll try it again in a week or two..

I also have magnesium glycinate, I took it a few weeks ago as well and I got insomnia from it with some anxiety, just like the fish oil. I will also try it again once the another blood test results come in.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I took the ambien for a few days and I just stop taking it. 

The 6-8 weeks number came from a number of individuals from different forums.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Chris,

I'm glad you decided to come back and post. Thank you for filling in some more details of your history. After what you have added I'm fairly certain that your current and previous symptoms aren't withdrawal, they began before you took any medication.

If fish oil and magnesium make you feel worse, then don't take them or start with a very small dose. Maybe try one at a time. If taking magnesium helped before and you tested low for it, then maybe start with that at a tiny dose and build up slowly.

If you think you may be dehydrated, drink more water and see if that helps.

Saying that it might be anxiety is pretty meaningless really. Anxiety is a normal human emotion, not an illness, its a word that describes a set of reactions and sensations. If you are experiencing higher than normal levels of anxiety, something is causing that to happen, you need to find out the cause, not take a drug to suppress the symptom.

I think the most important thing is NOT to take any psychiatric medications to try and suppress these symptoms, but find out what might really be causing them. Perhaps try some non-harmful therapies to manage symptoms like acupuncture, reiki, exercise, dietary changes, meditation.

This is a support site to help people safely come off medications, and we are not medical professionals, so I can't say for certain what might be causing you to feel the way you are. One thing comes to mind, perhaps this thread might lead you in the right direction:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/91-kundalini-shamanic-initiatory-illness/

Its good that you are getting some tests done, its important to rule out anything medical which may be serious.

Do stay in touch and let us know what you find out.

Petunia.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• Administrator

Petunia said everything that I would have said.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.