SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Hi! My name is...awakeandaware!

awakeandaware

I am new to these forums. Attempted to try an SNRI (Effexor) yesterday and experienced incredibly intense side effects which caused me to do a lot of research on SSRIs. What I found has led me to the conclusion that I do not need them in my life, and may want to wean off of my NDRI as well. I found these forums and decided that this seems like a great support system to have while continuing to explore this. I have severe GI issues which I attributed to sugary foods and antibiotics, but which now appear to also be linked to my SSRI use over the years. I am just now starting to wonder how many of my health issues are SSRI related. 

Also, I want to start a thread about persistent sexual dysfunction after stopping SSRIs, and am not sure how to search to make sure I am not beating a dead horse. I typed the topic in in the search field but did not seem to come up with much. Can anyone help me with this?

Prozac 100 mg age 15-19, stopped with no taper.

Klonopin (3 mg/day) and/or diazepam (15 mg day) age 18-24. Have not taken for several years now.

Lexapro age 21-26, weaned from 20 mg to 10 mg then switched to...

Escitalopram 20 mg, weaned to 10 mg then discontinued at age 27 (have been off of EP for about 6 months).

Trazadone 50 mg age 25-27. Discontinued about 1 year ago.

Wellbutrin 150 mg to counteract Escitalopram side effects, currently still taking.

My intro thread:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8924-hi-my-name-isawakeandaware/

Hi, and welcome -

When was your last dose of Escitalopram (generic Lexapro)?

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome awakeandaware,

I'm glad you joined us, you will find a lot of good information here and friendly support. Like you, I had a lot of health problems while I was on SSRIs, it wasn't until I came off them, that I realized the real cause of some of these issues. Unfortunately I came off my medication too fast and now I'm in protracted withdrawal, but you don't have to make that mistake because you have found us and we can help you taper off your drugs safely, if that's what you decide to do. We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising. Please read through this which will explain why:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

You will also find a lot of information contained in this thread:

What is withdrawal syndrome?

The search function on this site doesn't work very well.  The best way to search this site for specific information  is to use Google. Type in survivingantidepressants.org then the symptom or information you wish to search for.

We already have a topic on PSSD, you are welcome to join the conversation and add to the discussion. Here at SA, we prefer members add to existing topics, rather than start new ones, this keeps all the gathered information and experiences in one place, here is the link:

Post-SSRI sexual dysfunction (PSSD)

I'd highly recommend reading Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker. Psych meds can cause harmful side effects and long term, they can worsen health, increasing the risk of other illnesses. In my opinion they should only be used for short times and very cautiously, if at all.

Another resource you may find helpful is Your Drug may be you Problem by Dr. Peter Breggin

Like member clearday, I was also wondering when your last dose of escitalopram was, if you would add a few dates to your signature that would be helpful.

You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you for your welcomes and replies. I do not know exactly when my last dose of escitalopram was. It was about 6 months ago, give or take. Thank you Petunia for the links and the info on searching for topics. I am not a stranger to message boards in general, and know how obnoxious it can be when someone starts a topic about the same issue every few days, lol. 

Prozac 100 mg age 15-19, stopped with no taper.

Klonopin (3 mg/day) and/or diazepam (15 mg day) age 18-24. Have not taken for several years now.

Lexapro age 21-26, weaned from 20 mg to 10 mg then switched to...

Escitalopram 20 mg, weaned to 10 mg then discontinued at age 27 (have been off of EP for about 6 months).

Trazadone 50 mg age 25-27. Discontinued about 1 year ago.

Wellbutrin 150 mg to counteract Escitalopram side effects, currently still taking.

My intro thread:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8924-hi-my-name-isawakeandaware/

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi awake,

I was reading posts in the symptoms section and saw this post you made a few weeks ago, you didn't get a response.

I  never looked at withdrawal from a mental POV. Now I am wondering if my "depression" is actually due to withdrawal from SSRIs. It did not kick in immediately after I stopped taking Lexapro, which is what threw me off. But over the past few months I have been wondering if I actually have some sort of mild bipolar (lol). I don't know if my feelings qualify as neuro-emotions, though. It's more like, many days I wake up feeling generally sad and somewhat apathetic, antisocial and just...crappy. I have zero motivation to do anything. I don't have anything to say to anyone, and generally avoid human interaction. Then some days I wake up and feel good. There is no outside trigger for any of this. I tend to have long cycles (a week or two) of apathy and/or sadness, followed by a couple days of feeling like a normal human being. Then back to blah. Does this sound like withdrawal?

This sounds very much like withdrawal, more specifically  The Windows and Waves Pattern of Recovery

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

Welcome, awake.

What is your current symptom pattern?

You are off all drugs except Wellbutrin, is that correct?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.