Nick88 Help Needed: 9 weeks off Pristiq ( Desvenlafaxine)

Nick88

Hi Everyone.

I was on 100mg of Pristiq, for over a year, have been on other antidepressants including effexor and mirtazapine in the past.

I am determined to be free of these drugs, however I am not only now experiencing the usual symptoms of depression and anxiety but also a lack of cognitive function; my memory is shot! , lost for words, feel confused and have difficulty concentrating. I'm worried I might crash my car trying to get to work. My stress tolerance is also very low. I'm snapping at friends and coworkers and i can only see things ending badly.

Anyone who has experienced similar, or knows of natural remedies that have worked for them would be greatly appreciated. 

I'm being to sleep more and more as I don't want to face the day anymore.

Nick 26, Australia

History: Age 19- Effexor 150mg for around 2 years.

Age  23 Mirtazapine 30mg for about 8 Months

Age 23  Pristiq added 100mg

Age 24 Pristiq increased to 200mg

6-9 months drug free

Age 26 Back on Pristiq Only, 50mg then later back up to 100mg, then back down to 50mg and then off beginning of March 2015.

Current: Drug free. Feeling mentally impaired. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Nick , welcome to the site.

It does sound like withdrawal syndrome is setting in for you.  Could you provide a little more information?

I'm wondering how quickly you came off the pristiq , and how many years since you first started any antidepressants?

For some , the symptoms of withdrawal can worsen over months , so 9 weeks off is early days.

You'll find a lot of information and support here.

Welcome aboard ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Administrator

Welcome, Nick.

Are the Pristiq withdrawal symptoms getting better or worse?

As a withdrawal symptom, sleeping a lot is not a bad one. Sleep helps restore your nervous system. Usually  people suffer a terrible insomnia as a withdrawal symptom.

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

"Loss for words" seems to be a common side effect/withdrawal effect of Effexor and Pristiq.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8209-outdoorsman15-intro-and-experience-with-effexor-wd/

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Nick, welcome from me too. How long is it since you came off pristiq? Pristiq and effexor are particularly bad for tapering and very few people get off them without suffering withdrawal symptoms.  

It will help if you can fill out your drug history in your signature, this will appear at the bottom of your posts and be easily ween without having to go back through the posts.  You can see how to do that here......http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/?view=getnewpost

When you stop taking a drug that it takes time for the brain and nervous system to gain homeostasis after being chemically changed, it's like growing a new brain.  Rhianna, one of our mods here wrote a brilliant piece about this here..

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6447-best-of-sa/?p=91582

I agree with Alto that sleep is a good thing in withdrawal, the body heals and repairs during sleep.  

I hope you are feeling a little better. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thanks everyone for your messages. It brings me comfort  knowing and talking to people who have, or are experiencing the same things.

My symptoms aren't getting worse, they just aren't getting any better. My stress tolerance is also at an all time low. I work as a barista in a very busy cafe, and had to cut my hours from 4 days a week down to 2 because I simply couldn't cope. I use to have a great memory remembering every customers name and order and now I struggle to remember anyones name. I tapered down relatively quickly, down to half a pill (50mg) over about 4 weeks, and from 50mg I went cold turkey. This was the advice given to me by the Psychiatrist. He told me the withdrawal would last about two weeks, which it did. I experienced the 'brain zaps' and headaches, moments of visual and auditory blanks. But i got through that. Its this feeling of being "stupid" that seems to be hanging around.

6-9 months drug free

Age 26 Back on Pristiq Only, 50mg then later back up to 100mg, then back down to 50mg and then off beginning of March 2015.

This talk of growing a new brain? how long does this take? I am in my second year studying Paramedics and I need my brain to be at its peak. I don't want to go back on medication but if it helps me to study then I might have to consider it, but then I've read about re-instating at that there is a window period in order for it to work? This is all so confusing.

6-9 months drug free

• Administrator

For background, see Tips for tapering off Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)

As your withdrawal symptoms are not resolving and have interfered with your work, it sounds like you might reinstate a very small amount to let your nervous system accommodate to the drug decrease.

Do you have any Pristiq left? If so, you might cut it up take a tiny crumb each day.

Alternatively, to be more precise, you might get a prescription for 37.5mg Effexor XR, open the capsule, and take 10 beads per day. Effexor is a close relative of Pristiq.

After reinstating, stabilize for a month or so with regular daily dosing, and then very gradually taper off.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Saw my GP today. He suggests the lack of concentration, memory problems etc.. are symptoms of depression and anxiety.That they are returning now that I don't have the drug in my system. However I was feeling impaired while still on Pristiq, so wondering if i had just built up a resistance to the drug and it was no longer working for me.

He has suggested cardiovascular exercise daily to treat the depression. He by all means does not push drugs. But i already exercise regularly and that does not seem to help.

He also suggested a newer drug called VALDOXAN ( Agomelatine) that uses melatonin rather than serotonin and noradrenaline like Pristiq as it has no sexual side effects and no discontinuation syndrome- two things that concern me greatly. 

I am taking my fish oil, magnesium, tyrosine supplements to try and raise my serotonin levels naturally and through exercise. I will continue with this for as long as I can, but if Im struggling to much I might have to give Valdoxan a try. Anyone know anything about this drug ??

6-9 months drug free

• Moderator Emeritus

Valdoxan will not help a hot with withdrawal Nick, it is a completely different drug. Exercise will help depression but this is withdrawal, and the only thing to stop withdrawal is the drug you were taking. Your brain has been chemically altered by the drug then it has been yanked away so your brain is now struggling. The drug needs to be 'sneaked away', a tiny bit at a time so that your brain can adjust to the new dose between drops.  As Alto said just a small amount can make a difference and mean you can continue to study and work.  Sadly most doctors don't know about withdrawal and believe as your does, that it is a return of the depression. They are educated by the drug reps, who are of course educated by the drug companies who don't want to admit there is a problem with withdrawal, but want everyone to stay on drugs. Many people reinstate and find relief quite quickly.  Let us know what you decide to do, we are here to support you through this, we are all in this together in varying degrees.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

When i suggested the idea of effexor, to count the beads inside he said that this is not what they recommend, so i don't think he'd give me a prescription for effexor. 

He also said, like my psychiatrist recommended, that it is safe to come off 50mg of pristiq and that at that dose, it is low enough to come off without any problems. 

Like a lot of people on here, I am now split in three ways….A)  take the advice of my GP, who is medically trained B) Take the advice from strangers off the internet who are also struggling with depression/anxiety  or C) stay drug free and focus on diet, sleep and exercise. 

Pristiq can't be cut, so my only option is to just wait it out. and if I'm still confused and can't study then ill have to try the Voldoxan

6-9 months drug free

Taking tiny crumbs of pristiq sounds like a very dangerous idea, resulting in further chemical imbalances

6-9 months drug free

• Moderator Emeritus

Nick, doctors are not trained in these drugs, they only have what the drug reps tell them. They don't even have the same info as is printed on the drug leaflet that is in packs.  I once pointed out a drug interaction to my cardiologist that was listed on the patient leaflet. He had no knowledge of it.

These strangers on the internet have valuable experience,  there are thousands of us here who have had problems, some are completely disabled by these drugs. Their doctors all have no clue what is wrong with them. Altostrata has been studying the effects and withdrawal symptoms of them for many years and is one of the top AD experts in the world. She has interviewed doctors, psychiatrists, pharmacists etc. We also have a topic with a list of doctors who DO understand these drugs.

You should get a copy of Robert Whitaker's Anatomy of an epidemic which is very enlightening. 

There are many, many websites that are run by doctors, https://www.rxisk.org/Default.aspx is one.

Dr David Healy lectures about the dangers of these drugs http://davidhealy.org/david-healy-bio/

Dr Peter Breggin https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.breggin.com%2F&ei=xaJIVf_eAYyvaZWHgMgH&usg=AFQjCNEgQVSwHy-fKVdEHY0a5LI-MUL5Fg&bvm=bv.92291466,d.d2s

Beyond Meds is a blog by one of our moderators with extensive research  done while suffering terribly for many years, at one point bedridden and unable to even clean her own teeth.  It is referred to by many professionals. https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbeyondmeds.com%2F&ei=P6NIVebhJ5Hqaqm6gfAC&usg=AFQjCNG-qua1MBsUTJ_P9c7tZqHxXM2tvw

I could go on and on posting links,  but in the end you need to do your own research. This site is by far the best one there is for tapering and withdrawal support. 

If you look here, you will find scientific studies, the papers and research studies, you don't have to simply take our word for it..

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/16-from-journals-and-scientific-sources/

I sincerely hope that you do not suffer any more than you are, and that whatever you do works for you. Let us know how it goes. 

2002  effexor. 

i have one box of 28 tablets of 50mg pristiq. if i cut the tablets into quarters that would give me almost four months of use. how long is usually suggested to reinstate and then taper off again ?

6-9 months drug free

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Nick ,  I'm tapering pristiq , and it's okay to cut them (despite what the packaging info. says).

You might start by trying much less than one quarter of a tablet (12.5mg).   As Alto suggests , a crumb , perhaps one or two mg , would be a good place to start.

Hopefully you'll notice some decrease in symptoms within a week.

It takes  4 days to stabilize in your blood steam , so reassess if you need to increase after a week or two.   If you have an immediate adverse reaction , within

24-48 hours , do not take any more.

The idea is to allow yourself to stabilize on the lowest possible dose , whilst maintaining your functioning.

Once you've been stable for a couple of months after this recent hiccup , you can taper at 10% every 4 to 6 weeks (approx.) without experiencing disabling

w/d symptoms.

The Australian expert on psychiatric medications is Dr Yolande Lucire.  See her thread in "In The Media".  You might want to email her at Lucire@ozemail.com

and seek advice.  Her website is having a make-over so is unavailable for a week or so.   Just say you got her name from this site. 

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi Nick,

I am 8 weeks off Pristiq.  I am having the cognitive problems also.  I believe I had commented on a post you put on another site about Pristiq withdrawl.   I didn't recognize the cognitive side of my withdrawl symptoms until I read your post and realized I am having the same issues.  I acutally have been for awhile while still on the medicine.  I would have to stop and try hard to remember something I knew that I knew.  It has gotten worse off of the meds.  I thought it might have been the ambien I take because in order to deal with the insomnia from Pristiq I had to take it every night.  After reading your post, I am guessing it is both.   I currently am in training for some new stuff at work and sometimes have to read over and over and over.  It is really hard to concentrate. 

I had decided I did need something to help get me thru the withdrawls and was going to talk to my doctor about going on Prozac maybe to help.  I did some googling before I called her and came across this site.  it has been tremendously helpful in explaining what is going on inside and how I should have tapered differently.  I also firmly believe (through experience) in natural healing and I seen an alternative health doctor that I have seen for a couple years.  He suggested 5-htp 100 mg twice a day for 3 months then decrease to 50 mg after that for 3 months.  It has helped keep the playing field level for me so that my other coping methods work.  I exercise, meditation yoga, and meditation.  I also drink lots of tea and eat the dark chocolate.  Some days are better than others but I have a grip on things and feel like I can make it through.  I also have sleep issues that complicates matters but that's a different story. 

I personally do not want to be on the pharmaceutical drugs anymore so I can understand your reluctance to try the new drug.  We all want the same thing.....to be free of drugs.    Good luck!

First prescribed antidepressants at age 24, now 40.  First round was about 5 years (Prozac then Effexor).  Second round since 2008.  Zoloft then wellbutrin for 1 year then Pristiq for 6 years.  I reduced from 100 to 50 mg 1 year ago.  Feb 13th began 3 week decrease of every other day.  Last pill March 6, 2015. 

Thanks Fresh, I will email Dr Lucire. 

I do feel as though I am stable though. its just the my thinking is impaired. I experienced the shock sensations etc.. for the 2-3 weeks coming off pristiq, but that was it.

How would I go about getting 1-2mg though. It was tricky enough just cutting the pill into a quarter. It is sitting on my bathroom counter, I'm yet to take any just yet.

Itree74, what have you decided to do? I also want to take the holistic route. I am planning on getting back into bikram yoga, and I eat well, avoid alcohol and love dark chocolate.

I know about 5 htp, however it isn't offered here in Australia, so I am taking tyrosine which is a precursor for dopamine and am making sure to eat foods that contain tryptophan, such as meat and dairy, which is a precursor for serotonin.

6-9 months drug free

• Moderator Emeritus

Yeah , the tiny doses are tricky.  I use a digital scale ($30 from ebay) that measure 0.001 grams and a pill-cutter from the chemist.  If you can picture dividing

a quarter into 12 , it will be about "a crumb" , as Alto suggested.

See "Tips for Tapering off Pristiq" in the tapering section.

A fairly common pattern for withdrawal is feeling okay initially , then becoming energised/hypomanic for a period , then crashing badly. 

If you're alright at the moment and things don't get worse , that will be fantastic.   But if things start to change , it's good to know your options.

:)

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi Nick,

I have decided to not see my GP and try the 5 htp for now.  I am also tapering ambien and using some herbal sleep stuff.  Others on here have suggested I wait until my body is finished with withdrawl off Pristiq but I have not decided to go that route.  I am listening to my body and just taking it easy with the ambien taper.  The herbal stuff is helping with those withdrawl symptoms. 

I just really hate the thought of the starting Pristiq again or Prozac and experiencing the woozieness and electric shock feelings all over again.   I just feel like if I can manage what symptoms I have now as they come up then I might be ok and can get thru this craziness. 

As for the cognitive delays, I am just being patient with myself and if I have to read/study just making sure it is a quiet area and concentrating really hard.  It helps for me to follow the words with my fingers and reading each word slowly.  I am hoping this phase doesn't last much longer.   I have kind of been living with the cognitive stuff already for awhile (guess it was a side effect before I got off meds) so for me if it does get better it makes me hopeful. 

First prescribed antidepressants at age 24, now 40.  First round was about 5 years (Prozac then Effexor).  Second round since 2008.  Zoloft then wellbutrin for 1 year then Pristiq for 6 years.  I reduced from 100 to 50 mg 1 year ago.  Feb 13th began 3 week decrease of every other day.  Last pill March 6, 2015. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Nick,

I was happy to read that you are going to contact Dr. Lucire, most doctors are not able to be very helpful when people want to stop taking antidepressants, their knowledge is limited and often quite inaccurate.

Here is a link to a  pristiq tapering success story, this member tapered off Pristiq by cutting up the pills and describes her process:

Mogfish: successful taper directly off Pristiq using cutting up method

...I might have to give Valdoxan a try. Anyone know anything about this drug ??

If you start a new drug, you risk making your situation even worse, it seems people have mixed reactions to this drug, I read some reports of it causing sleep problems and increased depression. Reinstating the drug you are suffering withdrawal from is the only known way to reduce those symptoms, then when stable, you can can taper slower.

I'm glad you found this site, we are one of the best resources for help with safely getting off these kinds of drugs.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

Nick, please read Tips for tapering off Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)

We have many members who have cut up Pristiq to taper. Use search in the Intro forum to find their topics.

Valdoxan is being promoted as not having sexual side effects or withdrawal difficulties. However, reports on Internet forums suggest it's just like all the others and those attractive claims are lies to sell drugs.

I was on Valdoxan. It's got just as many side effects as the others , if not more. I was told the same thing by my doctor. As "Alto" says, It's all lies and more lies. Please don't fall for it. Educate yourself, using this site and the various links. Read " Whittaker's" book . Knowledge is power.   Good luck.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Okay, so I am quiet put off the idea of Valdoxan now.

i tried to email Dr Lucrie, however it was rejected to that email address:Lucire@ozemail.com

I have read the tapering advice, I already own some micro digital scales so it would be quiet easy now.

I will try a very low dose. 1-2mg for a week to see if I feel any more clarity.

6-9 months drug free

• Moderator Emeritus

Oops , so sorry Nick.   Lucire @ozemail.com.au

Tweezers are handy too  :).

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

thanks fresh

6-9 months drug free

"I do feel as though I am stable though." #17

Am i missing something here cos i am wondering why you would want to ri if you feel stable.

Or is it felt ri will clear the brain fog and cog impairment ....surely  time will do this not a ri?

curious.

Like a lot of people on here, I am now split in three ways….A)  take the advice of my GP, who is medically trained  B) Take the advice from strangers off the internet who are also struggling with depression/anxiety  or C) stay drug free and focus on diet, sleep and exercise. 

Who do you believe people with lots of letters after their names or thousands of people who have the same or similar experience.

I also want to push back on your 'struggling with depression/anxiety' view, i would rather call it 'struggling with ssri wdl' because that is what is occurring caused by brain altering potently addictive chemicals.  

Personally i like your C) choice. 

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Mentor

Hi Nick!  Welcome, I live 450km away, in Albany, nice to meet you.!!!!  

After my experience with these drugs, I swear the SNRIs are the worst, ie effexor   I assume pristiq would be just as bad, being an SNRI, however  never been on that one.   

Take it easy, take it slow......            I hope that if things get worse, you would consider re-introducing the pristiq, and taper very, very slowly..........    

When i suggested the idea of effexor, to count the beads inside he said that this is not what they recommend, so i don't think he'd give me a prescription for effexor. 

He also said, like my psychiatrist recommended, that it is safe to come off 50mg of pristiq and that at that dose, it is low enough to come off without any problems. 

Like a lot of people on here, I am now split in three ways….A)  take the advice of my GP, who is medically trained B) Take the advice from strangers off the internet who are also struggling with depression/anxiety  or C) stay drug free and focus on diet, sleep and exercise. 

Pristiq can't be cut, so my only option is to just wait it out. and if I'm still confused and can't study then ill have to try the Voldoxan

I used to work  in Pathology, so understand drugs, they all have side effects........    All I know is my GP does not know about these drugs, he can not be a specialist in all areas....  I ask him for scripts, he writes them...    My previous psychiatrist saw me getting worse, and ignored it, ie is the illness not the PILLS.         Well it was the PILLS. I tapered too quickly, I tried to stay drug free, but 5 months walking through hell is too much for me, too late the reinstatement of my previous drug didnt work....

Anyway, I guess what I am trying to say, is I wish I had found this site sooner, I definitely would go with B............  but of course, this site is great in that you are the one to make the decision what to do.

As for the newer drugs?  They have no side effects listed, because we are the human guinea pigs, the newer drugs will have the horrific side effects listed as they occur, I got conned that way into taking Zoloft, first in Western Australia to do so.....    it killed my baby..........  my advice?  Go for the oldest drug available, never the newest.

Just believe, however bad you feel, you will get better,  whatever path you choose.

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

hey nz11. in response to:

Am i missing something here cos i am wondering why you would want to ri if you feel stable.

Or is it felt ri will clear the brain fog and cog impairment ....surely  time will do this not a ri?

This is the only reason why I am re-instating, to clear the brain fog and cognitive impairment. I am experiencing no other withdrawals side effects. 

I am hoping that my brain will adjust slowly and just needs to repair. However I have started back on a tiny dose. 1/8th of a pill and see if I see any improvements over the next few weeks. if nothing then I guess ill stay off them.

hi ang,

I agree with you that GP'S aren't experts. However he's one of the few people Ive seen face to face. One thing i noticed though is that as soon as I mentioned the word: suicide, or that I'd rather kill myself than deal with the side effects of these drugs again, he suggested Valdoxan. It was as though as soon as they think you are a risk to yourself, that you must be medicated. They are scared, and think these drugs are the only option in keeping you safe.

6-9 months drug free

Nick i am not convinced that is a good reason to ri for.

But maybe someone wiser than me can comment on this one. Believe you me things could be far worse than some brain fog or cog impairment.

You are i believe 2 months off and stable then that is a great place to be.

you are right in the presence of the doc to  never mention the S word the D word or the A word....you'll trigger a drugging . 

Keep us updated.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

yeah maybe re-instating isn't the best idea on my own. I've contacted Dr Yolande Lucire, the forensic psychiatrist. But i need a referral from my gp, and considering her controversial history Im not sure how keen he is going to be in giving me one, but I will ask in two weeks nonetheless. Im also going to stop the re-instatement until I've spoken with her. I just don't think doing this on my own is a safe idea. Its like playing russian roulette with my brain.

6-9 months drug free

"Its like playing russian roulette with my brain. "

look i agree i think this is a wise move.

I just listened to YL's video thats posted here. Takes me a while to get the strength to watch these things and i do it with one eye open and one ear closed.

I think though that these people are aware of the damage these drugs do but in terms of coping with wdl, tapering etc they know no more than what people on this site do and probably a lot less than the moderators here to be honest. imo

In the absence of someone wiser than me...there is no quick fix, magic word or magic bullet to get out of this . If there was this site would have posted it. The instructions for skydiving are being written here ...we are it ...this is the front line...and doctors have gone missing in action!

I think the  brain fog will most likely recede in time but you will need to be patient. It may take many many months but as long as you are drug free you will be giving your brain the best of chances to heal without insulting and assaulting it with another pharmaceutical chemical.

And you are stable that is an enviable place to be in. perhaps next week things may be different but that is the nature of wdl. It will pass.

Recovering paxil addict

I am stable and I am being impatient. I will wait it out. I was on the drug for over a year so I can't expect my brain to be back to normal so quickly.

6-9 months drug free

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry NZ11 but I disagree completely. This part of Nick's first post gives the most compelling reason to reinstate and stablilise.

, lost for words, feel confused and have difficulty concentrating. I'm worried I might crash my car trying to get to work. 

If he is not fit to drive then it is not only his own life to think about but the lives of others also. I have the 'luxury' of not having to drive if I don't feel up to it but having these problems and driving is dangerous. If  reinstating that tiny bit alleviates those symptoms enough to be alert then surely it is safer to do so? 

"Its like playing russian roulette with my brain. "

I think the  brain fog will most likely recede in time but you will need to be patient. It may take many many months but as long as you are drug free you will be giving your brain the best of chances to heal without insulting and assaulting it with another pharmaceutical chemical.

And you are stable that is an enviable place to be in. perhaps next week things may be different but that is the nature of wdl. It will pass.

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I apologise for my last post. it comes across as argumentative. It is something I struggle with due to chronic insomnia but I have the 'luxury' of deciding when I am fit to drive and stay off the road if I don't feel up to it and can stay home whenever I like. Reinstating a tiny bit can mean the difference between working or not, and also studying. Just reading can be impossible when brain fog is a problem, so studying must be even harder. I don't want to sound forceful or bully you into reinstating, thats not what we are about. Maybe give it a few days to see if it makes a difference, it may not help at all, everyone is different. 

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Nick ,  it might be time to consider a new GP.  

MammaP is right about the driving.   If you feel unsafe , it's not socially responsible of you to continue at this time.  The consequence could be devastating.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

I just have to focus more while driving. I can manage it.

Its the studying, and talking to people that I'm struggling with the most. 

I'll give the re-instatement a week or two. I just hope if it doesn't help, that coming off that tiny amount doesn't causes the brain shocks etc.. to occur again.

6-9 months drug free