SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

NJJ: Adverse drug reaction with zoloft & antibiotics

Hi everyone,

I'm from Brisbane and have been on zoloft for almost 20years. I tried to tamper ten years ago which resulted in a severe withdrawal that was not recognized by the drs and lead to having my dosed increased. In the last ten years I have not bothered to cut back as I have been to scared to go through the whole experience again. Unfortunatly a month ago I have had to relieve part of it again as I got a simple infection and was put on bactrium and an anti nausea drug. I couldn't understand what was happening as I hadn't stopped zoloft but kept getting the exact withdrawal symptoms. I finally found the lovely Dr yolande Lucire from sydney who said I did indeed have a adverse reaction between the three drugs and a lot of it comes down to genetics. I want to thank the people who posted information about her because she has been a life saver. She is also going to help me get off this horrible stuff when I get better.

[*]At 15 years was put on 50mg of Zoloft for generalized anxiety and panic disorder.

[*]2006 Tried to withdrawal from 50mg . Doctor told me I would have no trouble. I tampered over about a month (50mg-0) which left me with severe and debilitating withdrawal symptoms. Doctors put my dose up to 75mg mistaking my withdrawal symptoms as a relapse. Stayed on Zoloft 75mg since 2006.

March 2015- adverse reaction between Zoloft (75mg) an antibiotic and anti nausea drug resulting in debilitating symptoms/recovery identical to withdrawal. Have not altered or changed dose since 2006.

Welcome thank you for letting us know your ordeal. I have heard of Dr. Lucire. You are in good hands. Please update us through your tapering process.

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

• Moderator Emeritus

Hiya NJJ , welcome to the site.   You'll find loads of information and support here.

There are a few active members from Brisbane and Oz -  check out the Australia room in the Relationships section.

This is your thread and you can use it as a journal , ask questions , or get creative here.

Good to have you on board ,  Fresh

p.s. If you click FOLLOW at the top right , you'll receive an email each time someone posts here.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi NJJ, welcome to SA.  You are right to wait until you are stable before starting to taper zoloft, and I'm glad you have Dr Lucire behind you.

I had a reacion between drugs recently following surgery and it is pretty scary! 

When you are ready, take a look at the topics on tapering as I'm sure you will find them very informative. 

Tips for tapering zoloft http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1441-tips-for-tapering-off-zoloft-sertraline/

The 3 KIS, most important when tapering! http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

We ask al our members to put their drug history in their signature strip, you can find instructions how to do that here...

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/?view=getnewpost

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey NJJ - welcome!  

I hear good things about Dr. Lucire!  Another champion for our cause!  

The only caution I have heard is that she might try to taper you too fast - as she is well aware of the toxic nature of the drug - she may believe that getting it out of your system SOONER rather than SLOWER might be the plan.  I understand that Fresh is working with her on our 10% taper guide.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

We have a regular Brisbane coffee meet, if you're interested.  Just answer the PM's I sent you and I'll make sure you get informed when we know what we know!

Welcome!

JanCarol

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Thanks for the reply, I'm not even going to consider coming off it until I'm completely stable and ready. She will supply the prescription syrup when I'm ready and in her words "very, very, very slowly, even if it's 1mg over 3 months and it takes years, we don't want to further damage you". She said I have deffently developed akathisia movement disorder from the drug reaction. I don't really fully understand it all as I'm still not really with it but basically that sulfer drug (antibiotic) and the anti nausea drug was blocking zoloft because their metabolized by the same pathway and built a toxicity in my system causing the dose to go sky high. She said what differs from me and everyone else is my genes cause not everyone will have this reaction. I hope that makes. She said you can't blame the drs because they are not properly trained by pharmaceutical com.Yes coffee will be good.

[*]At 15 years was put on 50mg of Zoloft for generalized anxiety and panic disorder.

[*]2006 Tried to withdrawal from 50mg . Doctor told me I would have no trouble. I tampered over about a month (50mg-0) which left me with severe and debilitating withdrawal symptoms. Doctors put my dose up to 75mg mistaking my withdrawal symptoms as a relapse. Stayed on Zoloft 75mg since 2006.

March 2015- adverse reaction between Zoloft (75mg) an antibiotic and anti nausea drug resulting in debilitating symptoms/recovery identical to withdrawal. Have not altered or changed dose since 2006.

I forgot to say and I will ask her next time, I'm a bit worried about the zoloft syrup and whether it has the same active ingredients as the tablet form. I know that I used generic zoloft and got slight withdrawal symptoms years ago. I specifically ask for the phizer brand from the chemist.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi NJJ ,     I have heard some people on here have problems when changing brands or "form" of meds. 

If you'd prefer to stay with phizer , there are threads in the tapering section that explain how to make your own liquid from tablets , or how to use a

digital scale.

You explained the issue with how we metabolize drugs perfectly.  Thankyou :).

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey NJJ are you around?  I send you a PM (Private Message) giving details for our coffee meet.  If you look at the top of the screen, there is a little envelope - clicking on that takes you to private messages....

We'd love to meet you, there will just be 4 of us.  But considering how big the world is, and how small Brissy is - that's pretty remarkable!

I won't post such details in a public place, though - if you look in the Australia thread I've put my mobile number in there for SMS messages.  (i can't hear phone calls on it - so SMS only please)

Hope you are doing well!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I just thought I would update my progress from my two severe drug interactions (antibiotic/anti nausea) medication while on AD (sertraline toxicity). I've come along way in the last three months from when this happened but still feel like I have a fair way to go to make a full recovery. The symptoms I've experienced mimic or are identical to withdrawal syndrome and are slowly fading but at times get quite intense. I think I have been having the pattern of recovery "windows" and "waves" and find the waves intensify with events such as hormonal changes and stressful events (mother in hospital). I have noticed that when I feel really good, I think great, I'm back to normal and then I over do it and the next couple of days I'm back to square one, so that's one lesson I've learnt. I'm also trying not to focus on how long I ve been sick and how much it has affected my career and studies. I feel like the toxicity symptoms have lasted way longer than when i tried to withdrawal years ago. I also think to myself that I think this happened to me for a reason. To realize that I don't have to be on this drug forever, well at this dose anyway and that it is possible to get off these drugs safely. Plus I have been warned about birth defects so that is another reason for me and I'm not getting any younger.

A

Welcome -

We recommend a long, slow, 10% taper:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

Since you've been on Zoloft for over 15 years, you want to give your body a lot of time to taper off this drug, since your brain chemistry is now highly dependent on functioning with Zoloft.

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

• Administrator

Thank you for letting us know how you're doing, NJJ.

I moved your update here to keep your story in one place. Please bookmark or follow this topic to find it again.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Sensory disturbances

Just wondering what strategies or advice people can give me about coping with side effects such as sensory disturbances. I'm finding this week I have had 24/7 brain zaps, was taking fish oil but didn't react well with my digestive system. I also have this strange sensation where parts of my face feel numb and still have the twitching in my face. I'm also very tired and the only way to explain how my head feels is as if I've just walked into a metal pole but the feeling is still there. I'm really trying to stay positive and not focus on it too much. I'm hoping this is just my body repairing from the severe reactions I've had.

Hi fellow "Aussie". I have also had face numbness, tingling, and head "pins and needles".  Chronic fatigue , Insomnia, and agoraphobia.  You might not handle , "fish oil" yet, but I have found it very helpful in the "long term".  You are in a good place , to deal with all of this.  Hang in there.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• Administrator

Can you take somewhat less fish oil, with food?

Have you tried magnesium, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you for the reply

I was taking blackmores triple strength for about a month and the brain zaps were going but then I got really bad stomach aches and diar (I thought that was a quality brand), don't know if the vanilla flavor may upset my tummy. I think I'm also now so paranoid about taking anything else with sertraline (zoloft).

Thanks for the link.

• Moderator Emeritus

Many of us here in Australia order our supplements from iHerb.com. High quality, reasonable prices, good shipping and service. Magnesium glycinate seems to be well absorbed without causing diarrhea.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

NJJ - that is exactly what I am experiencing after a reaction to ABs during WD, which seemed to quickly set me right back. It's a waves and windows patern again - my face tingles and my mouth often feels like it does when the local anaesthetic wears off after the dentist. It's getting better but it still comes and goes and is quite noticeable.

I found most supplements to be quite activating for some reason, whereas they had helped with WD.

March 2003 took two sartroline tablets after a traumatic incident and had a reaction so stopped.  I am not sure now whether what I had for the next 18 months was WD after the reaction or the emotional fallout from the traumatic event.  Some of it was very similar to WD in hindsight.  

February 2014 - Took five pristiq (50mg) tablets and three Ativan and had a severe reaction.
Extreme withdrawal symptoms for three weeks compounded by visit to naturopath -

One week later took 900mg St John's Wort x 3 daily for six weeks - more negative effects and suspected serotonin syndrome - before tapering over three weeks. Last tablet late May 2014.

Waves and windows cycle of recovery with longer windows and manageable waves.

May 2015 - already in a mild wave, following a usual pattern, I took clarithromicin and amoxicillin for two weeks for a sinus infection which I also seem to have had quite a reaction to.

February 2016 - Feeling much better.  I still have waves and windows but they are manageable.  I'm largely enjoying life again.

I was just reading you post Alto and wondered what you thought may of happened to me.

For around ten years (15-24years) on 50mg Zoloft had no side effects that were noticeable anyhow. At the time of withdrawal had no anxiety what so ever, within one month went from 50mg, 25mg then zilch, that's when I developed pretty much every single withdrawal symptom there is.  Next month went from zilch straight up to 75mg from doctor mistaking it as relapse. That's when the brainzaps, electric jolt type seizures happened.  Ever since then (withdrawal & upping dose) I've always had the brainzaps and overactive reflexes, usually only when Im run down or stressed, not all the time.  I've always been convinced that I have developed some sort of neurological damage or movement disorder from the withdrawal and dosage change or wether its the side effects from the higher dose.  I do know that Dr Lucire said I should never have been put on it as a juvenile because the brain is still developing and the drug wouldn't of even cut in until 25. So basically I have been on a drug and tried to withdrawal before my brain had even fully developed. This is what worries me about withdrawal, if  I will ever recover.

• 10 months later...

Hi everyone,

So over the last twelve months since my severe interaction I have gone thru pretty much every symptom of withdrawl/side effects of drug, but I'm really struggling with this new symptom which I'm pretty sure is depersonalisation/derealisation. I have had it slightly before but I've never had it to this extent. I feel so disorientated like I'm not here, the feeling you get just before a panic attack but just constant. I've had it the past two weeks where it was bearable but has got worse. I think it could be related to PMS too. I wake during the night feeling completely disorientated. I try to go out and forget it But going outside makes it worse, because everything seems so unreal. I feel like I'm going mad, this is so not me. I guess this is just another symptom I have to work through.

I thought I would share my recovery progress

In the first three to 6 months it was constant

Brain zaps/buzzing head

Extreme anxiety/wanting to jump out of skin

racing thoughts/repetitive songs/

Extreme tremor/shaking, vibrating body

Bouts of unexplained crying/emotions

Cognitive impairment (hard to hold a conversation)

Debilitating fatigue (unable to prepare meals, simple tasks)

Bizarre headaches, deep pain in head

Irrational thoughts

Sensitive to noises

Electric jolts through body

Brain fog

Tinnitus

Echoing

Parathesis

A lot of these symptoms have gone or are 80% better

And sometimes I've had new ones such as balance issues, brain shivers and stroke like symptoms where I can not feel my face.

Current symptoms

Tinnitus

Sensitive to sounds/light

Muscle tremors/electric jolts through body

Brain fog

Derealisation

Wanting to jump out of skin

Anxiety

I think the one symptom I have not had much trouble with is sleep.

I have hours and some days where I feel completly calm and back to self.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi NJJ

Thanks for taking the time to drop by and post an update.  It great that your sleep hasn't been affected.  Are you still taking Zoloft, and if so what dose are you at?  It would be helpful if you could update your signature to show your taper, including dates, drug/s and doses so that people can see it at a glance.  Thank you.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Ok. I hope that is a bit clearer. I've been on the same dose (75mg) for ten years but the adverse drug interaction in March 2015 severely disrupted with Zolofts metabolism which resulted in my symptoms/side effects of the drug.

Thanks

• 3 months later...

Hi

I just wanted to get some input into my situation. It's been 15 months since I had the drug interaction while taking Zoloft (antibiotic and zofran). (Dr Lucire got to the bottom of why I had the two interactions as it caused serotonin syndrome, zofran is a antinausea drug but is classed as a serotonergic drug). I understand that it can take a long time and a lot of patience to recover and I am still going thru the windows and waves pattern. I have seen some improvements with fish oil and I have hours where every symptom goes away. I guess out of desperation and being completely fed up I wonder if slightly reducing the Zoloft may help. I wonder if the interaction has caused Zoloft to be more toxic. But then on the other hand I don't think it is a wise decision as my cns is clearly still struggling and having had been on Zoloft for soooo long it could be very risky. Would like to know if someone or past members have been in this situation and what helped them.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi NJJ

You could always try a very small reduction to test the waters.  It takes about 4 days for the drug to get to a steady state in the blood.  Keep notes on paper of any changes.  These links may give you some ideas about how to go about this:

Rhi's "Start Small, Listen to Your Body" Taper Plan

Slowness of slow tapers

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases

Unfortunately all we can do is provide the information and support.  The decision is up to you.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 10 months later...

Hi

It has been just over two years since I had a adverse drug interaction while taking Zoloft. Since the interaction I have gone through the window and waves pattern, lost some symptoms but developed new ones. But overall I'm still struggling with a lot of symptoms. To make things worse I was taking pure raw cacao powder not realising it had tryptophan in it and I developed akathisia (constant pacing, had to eat standing up) and once that eased I had moments where I felt incredibly toxicated to the point that I could hardly stand up.  These symptoms have eased and just back to the usual symptoms burning skin, like someone is pouring acid over me, muscle spasms/tightness, tremor, electric jolts through body, brain zaps, weakness, random adrenaline rushes, unexplained anxiety, fatigue, severe DP/DR and more. Symptoms can be quite unbearable at times.

I have read that chronic use of Ad can lead to more adverse reactions/side effects as the metabolism of the drug changes. I'm starting to wonder if all these symptoms are from the original interaction or are now just constant side effects because my body just can't tolerate the drug anymore. All I know is I have never been the same since I had the drug interaction two years ago. I was functioning pretty well on Zoloft but didn't know I could safely withdrawal so I just stayed on it. Any thoughts?

Good luck. I can understand a similar suffering and I know how hellish these drugs can be. For my advice I would simply suggest doing healthy things such as exercising, being with loved ones, and eating and drinking healthy. I know these three sound cliche, yet they are cliche for a reason. All help immensely. Good luck 

My life has always been filled with pure love, until antidepressants took it all from me. The laughter, pleasure, and positivity life had once given me seems like a distant dream. Even the darkest souls dont deserve this degree of hell. Hopefully one day i can recover and feel the euphoria i once, constantly had felt. I wish everyone who is suffering, as much support and positivity possible. Once we get through this, its only bliss from there. Soul info: 10 mg prozac for 1 month, then 20 mg the second month, then lexapro (20mg) for only 1 week. Only about 2 and a half months total time spent on them. Then i went cold turkey as advised by my doctor. All this together evoked a huge catastrophe in my mind and body. Any help is much appreciated.

• Moderator Emeritus

NJJ, I've moved your post/question from the new topic you started today to your previous introduction topic so that all your information, questions and answers are in one place.

What is your symptom pattern? Do you notice anything that repeats at the same time(s) each day? Please keep notes on paper of your symptoms and the times of your dose(s). This post has a useful format for a daily log:

Take notes of doses and symptoms.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

yes, I have been keeping notes in a journal. There does not appear to be any pattern just the usual Windows and waves. I could have a bad morning and good afternoon and vice versa. My dosage/times have not changed. I did try fish oil a year ago, it helped at first but just seemed to wear off. It's very hard to know if these symptoms are the result of the disruption from the adverse reaction I had two years ago or side effects. New symptoms have appeared over the last 3-6momths eg burning skin which can be incredibly intense. Sometimes even brushing my hair can bring on burning and pain in my scalp. 

• 11 months later...
  • Administrator

How are you doing, NJJ?

• ChessieCat changed the title to NJJ: Adverse drug reaction with zoloft & antibiotics
  • 10 months later...

NJJ, that's wonderful that you were able to get in touch with Dr. Yolande Lucire. She seems like a really courageous and caring woman.

How are things going for you?

Aug-Dec 2015 Prozac 20mg / Dec 2015-Feb 2016 Prozac 15mg / Feb 2016-May2016 Prozac 20mg

May 2016-June 2016 15mg

June 2016-August 2016 10mg

October 2016-January 2017 15mg, alternating agitation/akathisia sets in --> cold turkey

January 2017 Clonazepam .5mg 

February 2017 Clonazepam 1mg (for a week) then .5mg morning and .25mg evening for about a month. Came down to .25mg morning and evening. 

May 1, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .125mg evening. // May 20, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .0625 evening (.3125 total).

early June .28125 // early mid june .25mg // mid june .21875 // late june .1875 // early july .15625 // early mid july .125 

mid july .09375mg // late july .0625 //early August 2017 down to .03125mg once a day, hopped off in mid August

reinstated at .0625mg late August // Oct 16 - updose to .07mg and switch to oral Rosemont solution

Nov 17 2017 reinstate Prozac .5mg // Nov 21 2017 prozac 1.6mg // Dec 18 2017  3mg prozac / fast taper off the reinstatement -- probably completely off early Oct 2018

June 2019 begin tapering off .07mg Clonazepam, Finish taper December 2019