SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ When91: Lexapro

When91

Mudar para portuguêsFull screen closeI started using ssri in 2006 at age 14, however not always wore often used day in day not until September 2014 are already nine months ... right after I have stopped the use abruptly barely stayed for about a month, however after that I felt very well, very well, I thought q was healed, however a few days later returned it, two months later went to a party drank was barely even not drinking too much and the next day tava was better to eat a pizza and soon after started have severe pain in the gut and much much weakness, one week later I improved a little, one month after I came to feel again, however a little less intense, and improved again, however one month after I started to have arrhythmias that in Portuguese in medicine call extra systoles, it seems q heart will stop ... after a few weeks decreased intensity.

in the new year was well drank got sick but improved then had fun on the beach ... weighed 85 kg this epoca..tenho 1,83m ... like my body was one of the few things q I had in me made me q well, at least help me with women ... used to do exercises outdoors ... however after a little while my nervous system began to show signs of failure and could not keep pace, and the TBM physical symptoms got worse and my body and muscles are desfezeram ... in two months I lost 15 kg, this was one of the worst things q happened to me ... right after I tried to recover but no point in, trained but the body or the nervous system not recovered until I saw that was useless to try ... it made me very badly why always imagined what I lost, especially the body ... now I do not have 1/3 of force q had no body even make hiking and so I speed makes me feel bad !!

I never in my life imagined that one remedy would cause me so much misfortune, and I'm only 24, today is my aniverssario, but I'm not to celebrate, I can not drink with friends, I can not exalt me ​​emotionally, to fight with my parents and my cousin died have limited time, the withdrawal from lexapro not let me do anything at that age I wanted this living alone without my parents, however the Brazilian economy is very bad, and so'll be for a few years at least, I would have to have a job that pays well to support myself, go out for fun is also complicated, I am with the effects of the recession and also here is very violent, when I walk down the street can not relax, gotta look pros sides and always avoid certain streets, if they come to Brazil Please carefully ...

I am now 70 kg with no power, with arrhythmias (danger but has not bothered), and already have nine months I stopped, and my parents did not believe in me that caused it lexapro and despair ...

Edited by scallywag
paragraph breaks added, tags added

Improvements: no palpitations , less bad waves.

Symptoms remaining : nervous system sensitive , intense fatigue , sensitive intestine.

8 years on lexapro/ 18 months off

Sorry my english is very bad!

Symptoms remaining : nervous system sensitive , intense fatigue , sensitive intestine.

I am trying everything to cure me but not find anything on the internet , there is no cure ... maybe the time I saw a video that talked about watching the sun one hour before dawn , according to the video the eye is an extension of the brain and the sun's rays can balance the entire body trough the eyes, seems very strange but 've seen several positive reports on the internet , I'll try ... I already used magnesium , fish oil , vitamin C , various diets but without results, I'm worried about my future ... I see no niguém report that improved 100 % , report that improved some symptoms ...

also got a lot worse sexual function , remember that even during the first years using the medication was perfect, but then dropped , it is not like before ... the duration of the erection decreased my youth ... all thrown away because of lexapro ..

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome When91,

Your English is better than my Portuguese :)

From what you have written I'm understanding that you took Lexapro for 8 years, then stopped taking it about 9 months ago and felt fine on some days, but then you started to get sick. Now, you are still having a lot of symptoms and your life is not back to normal yet.

What dose of Lexapro were you taking? Were you or are you taking any other medications?

It sounds like you are in protracted withdrawal from Lexapro and this is not so rare. You took Lexapro for a long time and then stopped taking it without tapering. We are supposed to taper carefully off these kinds of drugs. It may take more time before you recover completely. But in time, you will get better.

I am also in protracted withdrawal from Lexapro and recovering slowly.

WHY WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS CAN LAST SO LONG

When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay....read more here:  http://survivinganti...-of-sa/?p=91582

The best I can offer by way of advice is to listen to your body and avoid those things that set off symptoms as much as possible. Aside from a high quality fish oil and magnesium, avoid supplements. (See King of Supplements: Omega 3 Fatty Acids (Fish Oil) and Magnesium, Nature's Calcium Channel Blocker). They've been helpful to many of us.

Here is the link to our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful ideas to help manage symptoms as you recover.  Especially read the topics pinned at the top.

Here is the link to our  Recovery Success Stories  people do get better.

I’m glad you found us, we’re here to support you. If you have any questions, you can ask them here in your topic.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Welcome -

I also got very sick during the year after I stopped using Lexapro.

You will get better, but it will take a year or so.

I never heard that staring at the sun can help heal from Lexapro. But I have heard that staring at the sun can cause eye damage. Be careful -

There are a lot of people on here who are suffering like you are. And many people get better, but it takes a long time - we have to be patient.

There are no miracle cures, it just takes time and patience to heal -

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

thank you!

this being the worst wave after 9 months and already lasts 15 days or so ... amazing how these drugs damage the body .

My respiration is quite changed, chest pain , stinging the body , sudden dizziness, my life is completely parada.i am not 10 % of what I was.its very revolting for a 24- year-old man.but I hope that everything goes back to normal.there is a treatment for those suffering from prolonged abstinence ?

petunia thank you!

I was using 15 mg , however I did not used every day, I wore one day and not used 3 or 4 , however what I found strange is that after one month after I stopped using lexapro I 've improved 100 % or close ... I do not see the same stories ... I always had waves and windows but the waves are always worse and no less intense over time as I read the reports .

thanks for the support!

• 2 months later...

I saw your post on my thread - how are you doing?

Yes, these drugs do take a long time to heal from.

You are young, age 24, so you have a great chance to heal and recover from this.

I know it is very difficult, but it just takes time.

What symptoms do you still have?

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

Hello I still feel tired, have back pain, cardiac arrhythmia, tinnitus in the left ear. these last few months are being the worst in one year. I'm 20% energy than I had before

• 1 month later...

I'm 13 months out lexapro, and honestly without hope. No drama, just being realistic , I believe it will improve a bit, but do not think I will go back to how I was before using lexapro .

13 months off and getting worse .There are worse things in life , however it is hard to accept to live like this with 24 years old. Thank pharmaceutical industries.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi When91,

I moved the above post from another member's introduction thread to your own topic here, this is the place for your updates, if you book mark or follow it, you will be able to find it easily.

At 13 months off, after 8 years use, its not unusual to still be having waves. There are many members here in protracted withdrawal after coming off their drug too fast. But we all recover over time and for some, it can take quite a long time.

Have you looked at the links I posted earlier in your topic?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

yes i read petunia, thank you. I also believe that I will recover enough, but there are symptoms that are very difficult to come back 100% to normal, as the DSSP, based on what I research thanks.

• 4 months later...

I'm finally feeling an improvement in some symptoms , my palpitations reduced 90 % , I'm a little more willing , however my nervous and digestive systems are still fragile .

just come back to communicate here , to write good news, the bad news only hinder recovery.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello When ,  that's wonderful news after so long.    Finally an improvement!

You will continue to improve overall , even if there are some bad periods.

Please could you try to fill in your signature with your medication history , 

instructions are here  Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

Best wishes ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thank you fresh!☺

• 2 years later...

How are you now, When91? Any improvements in your PSSD since you last posted?

Zoloft 50 mg from April 23, 2015 to August 28th, 2016 (1 year, 4 months).

4 week taper. Last dose on August 28, 2016

Mianserin 30 mg in an attempt to reverse PSSD from September 6th, 2017–around mid November 2017 after a few week taper. Did not fix PSSD

Currently taking: Melatonin and magnesium every night.

• 2 years later...
  • Administrator

Hello, @When91, how are you?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• ChessieCat changed the title to When91: Lexapro
On 8/26/2020 at 2:36 AM, Altostrata said:

Hello, @When91, how are you?

I am good, but i need fix my digestion now and few symptoms. I am 70% better. For me colonics are the best for pssd. Sorry for my english.

• Administrator

That is very good to hear, @When91

We've seen that, sadly, alcohol can be very upsetting to system sensitized by withdrawal.

When did you feel you were truly getting better? How is the PSSD?

If you would, please update your signature with the months and years of the events in it and\ any new noteworthy drug events. Thank you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

21 hours ago, Altostrata said:

That is very good to hear, @When91

We've seen that, sadly, alcohol can be very upsetting to system sensitized by withdrawal.

When did you feel you were truly getting better? How is the PSSD?

If you would, please update your signature with the months and years of the events in it and\ any new noteworthy drug events. Thank you.

After the colonic i truly felt better. But i did it few times, because in my city dont have this service. For me the digestion was essential for my recovery. If i could do colonics more often,  i would be even better. 

• Administrator

Around what date did you feel you were recovering from withdrawal?

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

Around what date did you feel you were recovering from withdrawal?

Middle of 2018.

• Administrator

Because you're feeling better, I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol ☼ to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

28 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Because you're feeling better, I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol ☼ to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

Any improvement in my health, i will post here.

And i will try learn more english to write more details. 😃

• 4 months later...

I'm much better. my recovery has been very fast in the last 2 years. in fact, in some ways I am better than when I took the "anti depressant", like exercising vigorously every day without getting exhausted the next few days. when i was taking the "anti depressant" i could only exercise vigorously for 5 days, after that i had to rest 5 more to recover. my digestion has improved a lot more since my last post, and I gained in the last 2 months 10 kg. And really when a person recovers he tends not to post his story, I remembered it because it was a promise I had made to myself. There are still some things to recover, but I am fully functional again, and as I said, better at some things, than before starting cold turkey. And I haven't had any medicine in my body for 5 years. I hope I have helped to give a boost to those who are still going through this situation, I know that this situation is brutally devastating, but with patience and doing the right procedures, we can speed up the recovery a lot.

Edited by Altostrata
removed code

I’m so glad you’re doing better! This is really encouraging! May I ask, has your PSSD also improved? 

•august 2016- feb 2019: on and off SSRIs (fluoxetine and agomelatine) also unknown drug and clonazepam for a short amount of time 

•January 25 2020: 50mg of setraline and clonazepam 1mg 

•March 2020: increase to 100mg of setraline

•May 2020:  stopped setraline, fast tapper 3 weeks. stopped clonazepam, according to how my psychiatrists told me. 

• Mentor

Hey When91 please check the message I sent you

- Escitalopram 10mg from ages 15 - 21

- Severe crash after 4 month taper to 0

- Reinstated, stabilized, slowly tapering.

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it." - Hellen Keller

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

6 hours ago, Istm said:

I’m so glad you’re doing better! This is really encouraging! May I ask, has your PSSD also improved? 

Yes. it Improved 80%, and keeps improving.

• Administrator

PS Please add dates (month and year) to the events in your signature.

• Altostrata changed the title to ☼ When91: Lexapro
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Mentor

Hey @When91 hope you are doing great!

- Escitalopram 10mg from ages 15 - 21

- Severe crash after 4 month taper to 0

- Reinstated, stabilized, slowly tapering.

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it." - Hellen Keller

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 4 months later...
  • Administrator

Hello, how are you doing?

Brazil members, please post here