simack: Trying to taper off antipsychotic's (saphris/zyprexa).

simack

Hello all, just found this site and was looking for some advice on tapering off antipsychotic's. It all started about 11 months ago when I was prescribed saphris for depression by my pdoc to augment pristiq, (I know I should have known better). All was fine until about three months in when I started slowly developing anhedonia, just a complete lack of interest in life, it messed up my endocrine system, and destroyed my short term memory. Having successfully quit seroquel cold turkey in the past I thought saphris would be a breeze.... Boy was I wrong, only managed to make it there days in before the overwhelming anxiety (which I've never had before)and insomnia drove me back onto it. After three failed attempts to taper off(lowest dose is 5mg and couldn't cut sublingual wafers any lower), my pdoc suggested switching to 10mg zyprexa for two weeks then stopping that cold turkey, well that was a mess again, had anxiety from hell and insomnia. Again we tried switching over to seroquel which failed.So now I'm back on zyprexa (with a whole new set of side effects)with the plan of tapering off at a rate of -1.25mg every two weeks, currently I'm down to 7.5mg with moderate anxiety, intermittent insomnia and an insatiable appetite. Just wondering if this is too aggressive a taper, I only have tablets available so I'm just relying on cutting them into quarters. Just want off this pharmaceutical merry go round, feel as though I've been lobotomized.

MEDS HISTORY

2004 hospitalized for acute alcohol induced psychosis and started on my psych drug merry-go-round.2004-2006 SSRI > SNRI Merry-go-round finally settled on Effexor. Also was started on Risperdal in 2004 but switched to seroquell after I had a bad reaction to it.2008. Was switched from Effexor to pristiq, Also managed to successfully Quit Seroquel Cold Turkey.Asenapine- 5mg- August 2014 ~ May 2015. Was put on for Social Anxiety, was great at first then started developing disabling side effects, did a rapid taper and so started my withdrawal nightmare...

MEDS CURRENT

Pristiq-100mg ~ Currently holding

Olanzapine- 3.75mg May 2015 ~ Currently tapering by -.06mg per week (Jan 2016, 3.5mg  ~Feb 2016 intractable insomnia updose to 3.75mg)

Quetiapine- 50mg June 2015  ~Dec 25 2015 Quit cold turkey. ~(Feb 6 2016 hit with intractable insomnia - reinstated 50mg.)

August 2016 : Became destabilised after messing around with cutting doses, trying THC oil etc eventually stabilised,

Held doses for 5 years.

January 2022: Hit poop out, struggling to get more than 3 hours sleep, been one week straight of pure hell, praying to hold on. 

• Moderator Emeritus

G'day Aussie , welcome to the site :). Looks like you got here at the perfect time to stop your withdrawal

turning south.

This site recommends decreasing by no more than 10% (of your current dose) at a time , then holding for 3 or

4 weeks at each level. This allows the brain to stabilize between cuts so that the withdrawal symptoms are not

debilitating , and the process is fairly smooth.

Read the link on "Why Taper By 10% of My Dose" here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

"Tips for Tapering off Zyprexa" is here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3743-tips-for-tapering-off-zyprexa-olanzapine/

There are also threads about how to use digital scales to weigh tiny doses , and making your

tablets into a liquid.

Your taper does sound a bit too fast , and I'd be inclined to hold at the 7.5 until things have been stable for

at least a month.

Best wishes , Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Cheers thanks for the reply, will check out the links and keep you posted :)   

MEDS HISTORY

2004 hospitalized for acute alcohol induced psychosis and started on my psych drug merry-go-round.2004-2006 SSRI > SNRI Merry-go-round finally settled on Effexor. Also was started on Risperdal in 2004 but switched to seroquell after I had a bad reaction to it.2008. Was switched from Effexor to pristiq, Also managed to successfully Quit Seroquel Cold Turkey.Asenapine- 5mg- August 2014 ~ May 2015. Was put on for Social Anxiety, was great at first then started developing disabling side effects, did a rapid taper and so started my withdrawal nightmare...

MEDS CURRENT

Olanzapine- 3.75mg May 2015 ~ Currently tapering by -.06mg per week (Jan 2016, 3.5mg  ~Feb 2016 intractable insomnia updose to 3.75mg)

Quetiapine- 50mg June 2015  ~Dec 25 2015 Quit cold turkey. ~(Feb 6 2016 hit with intractable insomnia - reinstated 50mg.)

August 2016 : Became destabilised after messing around with cutting doses, trying THC oil etc eventually stabilised,

Held doses for 5 years.

January 2022: Hit poop out, struggling to get more than 3 hours sleep, been one week straight of pure hell, praying to hold on. 

I'm using orodisperable olanzapine which makes it very easy to reduce the dose by even 0.025mg at a time.

Olanzapine 10mg  Dec 2007 - Jun 2008

Olanzapine 10mg Sep 2009 - Apr 2010

Olanzapine 10mg Aug 2010 - April 2011

Olanzapine 10mg Jan 2012 - Jun 2012

Lithium 800mg Jun 2012 - Dec 2013

Lorazapam 1mg Nov 2012 - Dec 2013

Diazepam 2mg Nov 2012 - Dec 2013

Olanzapine 20mg Jan 2014 to May 2014

Olanzapine 5mg May 2014 - May 2015

tapering 0.1mg every 7 days

1mg melatonin

• Mentor

Welcome!  You smarter than me, you found this wonderful site before going virtually cold turkey (as I did).

I reckon Zyprexa should have been banned ago. Interesting information if you google VIva Zyprexa............   all clear in hindsight..

Just want to say welcome..............

My advice, like Fresh  HOLD.

I gave up my pills using what I wthought was a slow and careful descent over damn 3 months,              was fine for 6 months, then THE CRASH............ avoid the crash, please avoid it...............if you can.

TRUST the moderators    and friends on this site............

You will get off the stuff, just takes preparation, and a proper time scale, every reduction, is a pat on the back...............       slow and stable. And try and read the charts, somewhere, brain fuzzy at the moment, that clearly show the dose and effect is a strange chart,  ie at 10% of dose, the receptors etc, are 50% affected, at 20% of the dose 80% affected..............  

YES  lower the dose not by a certain amount, lower it by only 10%  OF PREVIOUS DOSE................ those last little bits are the hardest to kick.

welcome!  And look forward to a wonderful new life, whether it takes 6 months, two years, it IS WORTH IT!

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• Mentor

Also   I found I could give up short stints on these drugs, over the years (yes gps hand them out like lolllies, but they believed the pharma reports in those days).....took 3 weeks of hell,,,,,,,,,,,  but now?  I stupidly took effexor for eight years,,,,,,,,, the brain gets  I wont say damaged, I will say "changed", and for that change to undo itself, takes more time.....    after the second,, third exposure.

I was on Xanax (a valium)   years ago, for only about a month...........after that "exposure"......similar sends me nuts ..........      Our brains recover, they become resilient and strong..... ........ I can no longer tolerate Valiums, now after effexor, zoloft?        I can no longer tolerate any SSRIs  or SSRNIs..............  I am kinda grateful, cause the only way out for me is thru. And the only thing we have to fear is fear itself...........  

Six months of hell, now improving every day.  And I got the old me back..........................  beware getting a rational brain back, is like ruminating, all the stupid things I did while on the drugs...... I have learnt to forgive myself.

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

Thanks for the replies, yeah, think I might hold where I am for a bit, at least until things settle down from the saphris withdrawal (been three weeks now).

Katy91 in regards to the orodisperable olanzapine, do you just dissolve it with water at a 1:1 ratio then just remove your taper from that?

MEDS HISTORY

MEDS CURRENT

Held doses for 5 years.

I recommend holding where you are too. Recently I went from 500 mg Seroquel to zero in about 6 weeks. I was in hell after 4 or 5 days. I ended up reinstating at 150 mg and felt better right away, so I know my fast taper was what caused the problem. It's gonna be hard to get off because it works. This time I'm tapering by the 10% rule. I just want off these drugs right now, and it's caused me lots of grief going too fast.

As requested. In the last 3 years to the best of my recollection I first dropped the max dose of Lamictal. Yes I just stopped it was doing absolutely nothing. Then I dropped Lexapro, that was even easier I had been on and off that a dozen times before. There were at least 2 odd off label attempts at anxiety that I won’t be able to remember. Then there was sweet/evil Seroquel. That was the last to go it’s been around 16 months.

Lithium, Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Celexa, Lamictal, Lexapro, Luvox, Viibryd, Brintellix, Pristiq, Zoloft, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Geodon, Abilify, Latuda, Ritalin, Adderall, Valium, Clonazepam, Alprazolam, Propanalol, Spravato

• Administrator

Welcome, simack.

Fresh gave you the relevant info -- thank you, Fresh!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I dissolve 5mg in 100mls of water then syringe out what I'm reducing by. So in my case 1ml equals 0.05mg of olanzapine.... I think!! At the moment I'm syringing out 9mls which means I'm on a dose of 4.55mg.

1mg melatonin

• Administrator

Great info, Katy, thanks!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I dissolve 5mg in 100mls of water then syringe out what I'm reducing by. So in my case 1ml equals 0.05mg of olanzapine.... I think!! At the moment I'm syringing out 9mls which means I'm on a dose of 4.55mg.

That is a very precise way to taper, just as precise as getting a fancy scale and weighing out the pills and removing the contents.  Your math is correct.

If I had only known the hell that was going to become my life I would have been just as careful as you.  I lost so much in my life because I didn't taper slow enough.  It's so sad, I thought I knew better and I was a professional scientist too.  So sad. 

I had too much faith in the doctor and listened to him unconditionally.  What a brilliant decision that was.  I'm so messed up that I can't even fully comprehend the enormity of how damaged I became because of my fast taper from cymbalta.

Hope your life will turn out better than mine.

I'm using orodisperable olanzapine which makes it very easy to reduce the dose by even 0.025mg at a time.

hi Katy91. Are you still taking benzodiazepines?

I am not a medical professional. My comments and posts are based on personal experiences. Please consult appropriate medical professionals for advice. 

I was started on psych drugs back in the late 80's. You name it. I probably was on it. 47 different drugs. Over 57 thousand pills. Tapered off final cocktail February 1st, 2013- September 9th, 2019. For Hashimotos I take Levothyroxine. Liothyronine. BP meds. For supplements I take B12 hydroxy. Fish oil w/D3. Bee pollen. Magnesium Glycinate.

Thanks katy that's exactly what I was looking for, my higher order thinking is scrambled at the moment and was having difficulty working out ratio's.

Sounds horrible oskcajga, feels as though the saphris has already destroyed my life, anxiety was a bit higher at work today due to insomnia but will hopefully settle with time

MEDS HISTORY

MEDS CURRENT

Held doses for 5 years.

Oskcajga sorry to hear things have gone so badly. I would hope that you would have been feeling much better by now. I've been through hell as well, this is my fifth attempt to get off. We are brought up to trust and believe in authority figures so don't blame yourself for taking their advice. You did the best you could.

No Marsha I'm no on benzos now. I was on 1mg of lorazapam but got off it fairly easily as I was under the kosh of 20 mg olanzapine.

1mg melatonin

Hey all just another quick question, after doing some further reading on the site ,particularly the hat drug should I taper first thread, would it be wise for me to hold the zyprexa where it is for now and focus on tapering the 100mg of pristiq first? Thanks in advance.

MEDS HISTORY

MEDS CURRENT

Held doses for 5 years.

• Administrator

How much Zyprexa are you taking now?

Was it prescribed for sleep?

Down to 7.5mg of zyprexa now, I was originally prescribed 5mg of saphris off label to augment the pristiq, but was switched over to zyprexa for the sole purpose of tapering off antipsychotic's. Only been on it for three weeks so far

MEDS HISTORY

MEDS CURRENT

Held doses for 5 years.

• Administrator

Going off Pristiq is a little more involved. See Tips for tapering off Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)

Thanks for the info Altostrata, it's greatly appreciated.

MEDS HISTORY

MEDS CURRENT

Held doses for 5 years.

OK so I'm at my wits end here, it seems that the olanzapine isn't helping with the insomnia any more, been on zero sleep for two nights ,which is an issue because it's effecting my work performance, I need my job to support my family.l I don't know weather to increase the dose of olanzapine back to 10mg, add 50mg of seroquel to help me sleep or to bite the bullet and reinstate the asenapine. I wish I had have known about these withdrawal effects before I started taking saphris, I never would have started them. It's criminal that drug companies get away with destroying lives like this

MEDS HISTORY

MEDS CURRENT

Held doses for 5 years.

• Administrator

I would lncrease the Zyprexa slightly, to 8mg, and see if that helps.

When did you make the switch to Zyprexa? How long were you at 10mg? How long have you been taking 7.5mg?

Thanks Alto, I'll give that a shot. I made the switch about five weeks ago, was on 10 mg olanzapine for two weeks with the orders from my psychiatrist to then stop it cold turkey, that didn't work, so he suggested using 250mg quetiapine, I had to discontinue that because of an instant bad reaction, so I reinstated the olanzapine at 10mg, but being an impatient type I dropped down to 7.5 after a week. All was managable for the past fortnight except for the last two days when the insomnia has come creeping back.

MEDS HISTORY

MEDS CURRENT

Held doses for 5 years.

OK quick update, managed to cut the zyprexa down to 5mg while introducing 50mg seroquel to aid sleep. Planning to hold here for a while, then getting some orodisperable olanzapine and tapering more conservative, want to get the olanzapine out if my system first then focus on the quetiapine then the desvenlafaxine

MEDS HISTORY

MEDS CURRENT

Held doses for 5 years.

• 4 weeks later...

Another quick update, managed to taper down to 3.75mg zyprexa and 50mg seroquel for sleep daily. My anxiety is still relentless but manageable, but now I have a new problem,I have a constant racing heartbeat and a problem with frequent urination, are these common withdrawal effects or something unrelated?

MEDS HISTORY

MEDS CURRENT

Held doses for 5 years.

Also does anyone know of any successful withdrawals from asenapine (saphris)?

MEDS HISTORY

MEDS CURRENT

Held doses for 5 years.

You are going pretty fast. You really can't rush it with zyprexa. Those symptoms won't ease up for a long time if you go too fast. Yes racing heart is a symptom. Do you have anxiety and nausea as well? The frequent urination could be related but I didn't have that. I do think that detoxing from zyprexa puts a lot of strain on your liver and kidneys.  Are you supplementing with magnesium? It helped me a lot. 

2007-2010 - adderall, vyvanse, klonopin, prozac, symbyax, ativan, klonopin, seroquel, gabapentin, lyrica, concerta, lithium, elavil,  

2011-2014 - adderall, vyvanse, gabapentin, celexa, cymbalta, intuiv, tegretol, lamictal, risperdal, zyprexa, trazondone, wellbutrin

May 2014 - Vyvanse - 70 mg, gabapentin 3200 mg, zyprexa - 20 mg

August 2014 - Gabapentin 800 mg, zyprexa 10 mg

October 2014 - Attempted to taper off of zyprexa completely - did not succeed, gabapentin 900 mg

January 2015 - Zyprexa 5 mg, switched to seroquel @ 100 mg, gabapentin 900 mg 

Feburary 2015 - Seroquel - 50 mg, gabapentin 900 mg

March 2015 - Seroquel - 100 mg, zyprexa 5 mg as needed, gabapentin 900 mg

April 2015 - Determined seroquel was useless but remained at 25-50 mg, gabapentin 900 mg

May 2015 - Seroquel 50 mg, gabapentin 900 mg, tenex 2mg

June 2015 - Seroquel 50 mg, gabapentin 900 mg

July 2015 - Seroquel upped to 100 mg to stabilize, gabapentin 900 mg, took olanzapine six times 10 mg, tenex 2mg

Yes pretty much have constant anxiety and intermittent insomnia, but no nausea. Supplements I'm using are magnesium, fish oil, ashwaghanda , and sometimes niacin.

MEDS HISTORY

MEDS CURRENT

Held doses for 5 years.

Do what you need to do but zyprexa symptoms don't just get better in a few months. If you are experiencing wd symptoms it can take six or seven months to clear up. Its really not something you can just push through. You might want to take it easy. You're getting pretty low now. No need to rush.

2007-2010 - adderall, vyvanse, klonopin, prozac, symbyax, ativan, klonopin, seroquel, gabapentin, lyrica, concerta, lithium, elavil,  

2011-2014 - adderall, vyvanse, gabapentin, celexa, cymbalta, intuiv, tegretol, lamictal, risperdal, zyprexa, trazondone, wellbutrin

October 2014 - Attempted to taper off of zyprexa completely - did not succeed, gabapentin 900 mg

April 2015 - Determined seroquel was useless but remained at 25-50 mg, gabapentin 900 mg

July 2015 - Seroquel upped to 100 mg to stabilize, gabapentin 900 mg, took olanzapine six times 10 mg, tenex 2mg

Cheers appreciate your help mate, I still believe I'm experiencing withdrawals from the saphris along with the zyprexa, it's just devastating to me that everything seemed to be going ok until the last few days, when everything has started crashing down around me. Might consider increasing the zyprexa and holding a bit long until I try another cut

MEDS HISTORY

MEDS CURRENT

Held doses for 5 years.

• Administrator

You've made a lot of drug changes in less than 2 months. Each change rocks your nervous system.

The constant anxiety, intermittent insomnia, and increased urination are withdrawal symptoms. Your nervous system is complaining.

If I were you, I'd stop changing dosages, etc. and hold for a good long time, to let your nervous system settle down.

Ok thanks Altostrata, your right, I guess I like learning the hard way, so should I just hold now exactly where I am with doses, or slightly increase the zyprexa and hold with that?

MEDS HISTORY

MEDS CURRENT

Held doses for 5 years.

• Administrator
If I were you, I'd stop changing dosages, etc. and hold for a good long time, to let your nervous system settle down.

Cheers thanks,

MEDS HISTORY

MEDS CURRENT

Held doses for 5 years.

Hey all I just wanted to ask a quick question about beta blockers. My doctor has prescribed me some to help with the racing heart/anxiety, I just wanted to ask if it is safe to take them in withdrawal or am I going to further screw up my nervous system? Thanks

MEDS HISTORY

MEDS CURRENT

Held doses for 5 years.

I assume pronanolol? I would be wary of that myself and even when I was on it, it didn't do much for my anxiety. I use tenex to calm down and it does seem to ease the withdrawal a bit and helps with anxiety. I don't use it every day though, just on my rough days. I was prescribed a muscle relaxer too at one point but it didn't help at all and made some things worse.