5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) and l-tryptophan

Punarbhava

This is all such a minefield. I guess as we're all different, our bodies are responding to medications and supplements in different ways.

I was really hoping that having started b and d vitamins, and folic acid, that I would feel at least a little better, again chasing an instant cure. It's frustrating to come across accounts where people say their depression lifted after taking vitamin b, for example, and then feeling no difference at all when you try it.

I seem to have this constant low mood. Most days it lies in the background. I record them as my low/ok days. I can do life. I feel stable. Then I get the odd day like today where I just want to step off the world, have one day of pure and simple happiness. I had that on the ADs sometimes. It wasn't real, but it still felt good when it happened. This is just day in, day out misery.

Perhaps my vitamins need time to build up...

<p>Several periods of depression starting in teens. 2010- 2014 escitalopram 20mgs. tapered to 5mgApril 2011- December 2011 seroquel2012-2014 don't know exact dates! 2014/15 Lamactil 200mg. 2015 lamactil 150mg. (Several attempts at coming off escitalopram and lamactil). March 2015 tapered to 37.5mg lamactil- Reinstated. July- Aug 2015 tapered off 5mg escitalopram. Dose reinstated Nov 2015.

7/1/16 Lamactil 137.5mg. Escitalopram 5mg; 24/3/16 lamactil 125mg; 20/4/16 escitalopram 4.5mg. 6/5 escit 4mg. 5/6/16 escit 3.6mg; 16/7/16 escit 3.5mg. 27/7/16 lamactil 112.5mg 18/8/16 escit 3.2mg 10/9/16 escit 3mg 16/9/16 lamactil 100mg 11/10/16 lamactil 112.5mg 28/10/16 escit 2.9mg 4/11/16 escit 2.8mg 10/11/16 lamactil 125mg 11/11/16 escit 2.7mg. 25/11/16 escit 2.4mg 10/12/16 escit 2mg 1/1/17 escit 1.7mg 17/1/17 escit 1.5mg 4/2/17 escit 1.4 19/2/17 escit 1.3mg 13/3/17 escit 1.2mg 22/3/17 escit 1mg. 4/5/17 escit 1.15mg 5/5/17 turmeric 800mg

There are people out there who actually take 5htp or rhodiola together with a low dose of antidepressants(ssri's mostly). They post on forums that they feel fine but i wouldnt want to risk the serotonin syndrome so stick to vitamins, fish oils, magnesium, etc...its a serious conditioning! The same goes for trypthophan, though it is an amino acid and a precursor to 5htp. No idea if the risk is the same.

Though i am tempted to get a bottle of trypthophan myself when i get off the Lexapro...I must agree with the others here. The whole idea is to heal and reset the serotonin recepters.

All my life: Occasional panic attacks. 2003: Burnout  2004: intrusion (OCD'ish) / anxiety. Therapies: acupuncture, Chinese herbs, hypnotherapy --> symptoms were manageable (did return once in a while), depression lifted.
2007 - Relapse, started with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Therapist recommended Fevarin (fluvoxamine) 150 mg. Recovery after 3 months and remained stable. Mild side effects.
2009 - Tapered fluvoxamine. No withdrawal symptoms. 2010 - Relapse, same Pure O thought and anxiety.  Started taking 100 mg of fluvoxamine but after 9 weeks no change in symptoms. Did not have any effect on Pure O thought. Switched to Lexapro (escitalopram) 20 mg.  Drug started working within 3 weeks. Mild side effects. Slowly over the years tapered to 5 mg.
2015: Lots of personal issues and setbacks, occasional panic attack. 2016: April started skipping doses; 5mg escitalopram every other day (in hindsight a bad idea)
May: Major relapse, anxiety and intrusion returned. Depression. Increased from 2,5 mg 15 mg in two weeks. Side effects: neuro-emotions
June: Escitalopram has no effect on the frequency of the intrusion...after 4 weeks my general doctor advised me to do a fast taper to 5mg. Withdrawal effects (2/3 weeks): neuro-emotions, lack of focus, crying spells, fatigue, muscle twitches in legs, cortisol spikes just before waking up July: Stable on 5 mg. Depression and intrusion lifted during holiday (lots of sunshine, long walks and relaxing) August: Drop down to 2,5 mg. Withdrawal effects (tinnitus, headagues) are noticeable, but still mild in comparison to the big drop earlier.
22th August: stopped escitalopram completely. Cortisol spikes just before waking up, still OCD (only temporary improvements), WD-depression and WD-neuro emotions.
Update 6 dec: no medication, any withdrawal symptoms not noticable. Taking supplements for intrusive thoughts and overall well being: N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) omega 3 fish oils, zinc, vitamin d, magnesium l-threonate, ginko biloba

Perhaps my vitamins need time to build up...

People always say this...no idea how it works so i cant really advice you on that.

But i can relate though! Bought vit D and a B complex today...I really want to feel somd results...but i think vitamins are working far more subtle. I took B vits in the past and never felt like they made huge difference, like other people say online....

All my life: Occasional panic attacks. 2003: Burnout  2004: intrusion (OCD'ish) / anxiety. Therapies: acupuncture, Chinese herbs, hypnotherapy --> symptoms were manageable (did return once in a while), depression lifted.
2007 - Relapse, started with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Therapist recommended Fevarin (fluvoxamine) 150 mg. Recovery after 3 months and remained stable. Mild side effects.
2009 - Tapered fluvoxamine. No withdrawal symptoms. 2010 - Relapse, same Pure O thought and anxiety.  Started taking 100 mg of fluvoxamine but after 9 weeks no change in symptoms. Did not have any effect on Pure O thought. Switched to Lexapro (escitalopram) 20 mg.  Drug started working within 3 weeks. Mild side effects. Slowly over the years tapered to 5 mg.
2015: Lots of personal issues and setbacks, occasional panic attack. 2016: April started skipping doses; 5mg escitalopram every other day (in hindsight a bad idea)
May: Major relapse, anxiety and intrusion returned. Depression. Increased from 2,5 mg 15 mg in two weeks. Side effects: neuro-emotions
June: Escitalopram has no effect on the frequency of the intrusion...after 4 weeks my general doctor advised me to do a fast taper to 5mg. Withdrawal effects (2/3 weeks): neuro-emotions, lack of focus, crying spells, fatigue, muscle twitches in legs, cortisol spikes just before waking up July: Stable on 5 mg. Depression and intrusion lifted during holiday (lots of sunshine, long walks and relaxing) August: Drop down to 2,5 mg. Withdrawal effects (tinnitus, headagues) are noticeable, but still mild in comparison to the big drop earlier.
22th August: stopped escitalopram completely. Cortisol spikes just before waking up, still OCD (only temporary improvements), WD-depression and WD-neuro emotions.
Update 6 dec: no medication, any withdrawal symptoms not noticable. Taking supplements for intrusive thoughts and overall well being: N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) omega 3 fish oils, zinc, vitamin d, magnesium l-threonate, ginko biloba

Hi Susanne

Thanks for posting. I'm keen not to have anything interning with natural processes if I can help it so will avoid the 5htp for now. I'll try to do some research into whether they take time to build up, but like you, I've taken vit b in the past and noticed no real difference. Interestingly I stumbled upon some research today about a link between low blood pressure and depression, but I can bet my bottom dollar that eating teaspoonfuls of salt will not lift my mood in the slightest.

I notice in your signature you run and do yoga, inter alia. Do you find these help? I can't run because I have neck problems and really miss the excercise as I found it really helped me deal with stress and bad feelings. I was wondering about yoga. At least it would give me some time to myself. how do you find the ACT? Have you had formal sessions?

<p>Several periods of depression starting in teens. 2010- 2014 escitalopram 20mgs. tapered to 5mgApril 2011- December 2011 seroquel2012-2014 don't know exact dates! 2014/15 Lamactil 200mg. 2015 lamactil 150mg. (Several attempts at coming off escitalopram and lamactil). March 2015 tapered to 37.5mg lamactil- Reinstated. July- Aug 2015 tapered off 5mg escitalopram. Dose reinstated Nov 2015.

7/1/16 Lamactil 137.5mg. Escitalopram 5mg; 24/3/16 lamactil 125mg; 20/4/16 escitalopram 4.5mg. 6/5 escit 4mg. 5/6/16 escit 3.6mg; 16/7/16 escit 3.5mg. 27/7/16 lamactil 112.5mg 18/8/16 escit 3.2mg 10/9/16 escit 3mg 16/9/16 lamactil 100mg 11/10/16 lamactil 112.5mg 28/10/16 escit 2.9mg 4/11/16 escit 2.8mg 10/11/16 lamactil 125mg 11/11/16 escit 2.7mg. 25/11/16 escit 2.4mg 10/12/16 escit 2mg 1/1/17 escit 1.7mg 17/1/17 escit 1.5mg 4/2/17 escit 1.4 19/2/17 escit 1.3mg 13/3/17 escit 1.2mg 22/3/17 escit 1mg. 4/5/17 escit 1.15mg 5/5/17 turmeric 800mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Roxanne: I am familiar with Ross's Mood Cure. I've read it and purchased it. :)

The program in her book, at least the edition I have, doesn't address tapering doses and adjusting supplements.  At her clinic there *may* be a more personalized approach.  Personalizing a supplement program is very difficult to do with a mass market book.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Hi Scallywag,

I've read Anatomy of an Epidemic. It wasn't recently but my recollection is I found it a bit too alarmist and negative. I'm not saying none of it was valid, but I almost felt worse fearing I might have permanent damage as a result of taking ADs and an antipsychotic.

I've not read Mood Cure, but my current view is that some things work for some and not others, that there is no one size fits all (sadly).

Maybe the challenge is in persevering for long enough to find what works for me, be it supplements, diet, exercise, mindfulness, etc etc, and not lo lose hope in the process. I'm failing in the latter.

Scallywag, on her homepage she has a protocol for tapering ad's with the help or 5-htp and tryptophan..

I don't know if it works but I'm suprised not to find it mentioned here on this forum.

Was on Paxil 20 mg between 2007-2016 for social anxiety.

Off Paxil since 29 february 2016, after 9 years on the drug.

Tried to reinstate 6 weeks later with no results, tried then Prozac and Zoloft on advice of psychiatrist with bad results. Meds free since 1 of june and in withdrawal which I don't know any more what it is caused by. ( Paxil, Prozac or Zoloft).

Withdrawal symptoms: severe insomnia, nausea, weight loss, anxiety, brain zaps sometimes, strange pains in different places on my body (could be caused by the anxiety though),gastrointestinal issues, jaw pain (gone now), poor memory (could be the lack of sleep), poor concentration, irritability, depression, hopelessness, rumination, tinnitus (gone)

• Moderator Emeritus

5HTP and L-tryp treatment is based on the serotonin-deficiency hypothesis.  That hypothesis was weak when it was first proposed and is largely discredited now.

I mentioned Anatomy of an Epidemic, because Whitaker lays out the shaky foundation of that hypothesis in his chapter on anti-depressants.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

I notice in your signature you run and do yoga, inter alia. Do you find these help? I can't run because I have neck problems and really miss the excercise as I found it really helped me deal with stress and bad feelings. I was wondering about yoga. At least it would give me some time to myself. how do you find the ACT? Have you had formal sessions?

Hi Ali, I enjoy the yoga exercises, try to do them every other day since I'm also going to a mindfulness training with group sessions. I started with hatha yoga last fall. It's quite relaxing for me but to benefit it's recommended to practice the postures and the meditations every day.I really lacked the discipline at the time. I'm not sure if you can do yoga on your own if you are having neck problems, so I would recommend you to find a yoga teacher who can show you alternatives to the postures where you have to stretch your neck and/or back.

And if you are not able to go for long runs, why not just walk?

The ACT 'defusion' techniques are interesting and somewhat helpful for me. My (new)psychologist advised me 'The Happiness Trap by Dr Russ Harris. You can work with this book on your own but it's probably best to practice every day or do the homework and then go over this with an ACT therapist. I'm not not super motivated for it because I'm really still hoping to find something that will have an effect on my ocd'ish thought(s) and depression.

5HTP and L-tryp treatment is based on the serotonin-deficiency hypothesis.  That hypothesis was weak when it was first proposed and is largely discredited now.

I mentioned Anatomy of an Epidemic, because Whitaker lays out the shaky foundation of that hypothesis in his chapter on anti-depressants.

Hi Scallywag,  I am wondering why the mental problem I was having disappeared after a few weeks of taking the SSRI. I read that doctors and scientists still aren't sure why and how SSRI's work exactly on OC-spectrum disorders. For me, it was a miracle.

I'm not an optimistic person and very self critical but  I don't see myself as a having a depressed/dark moods; I just desperately wanted to become normal again. After four years of different alternative ánd regular therapies (and acupuncture with Chinese herbs, exercise  and eating healthy) I still wasn't able to keep it stable and that depressed me. The problem always returned after a few weeks or months and with the SSRI I stabilized. With the OCD'ish behavior gone I felt fantastic!

What do I know for sure? That a drug that ensures that serotonin is longer available in the brain, also works for getting rid of a disturbing intrusion. For me at least (initially anyway). I'm not saying that the lack of serotonin or an imbalance was causing the intrusive thought by the way, but the above is what an SSRI does, right?

It's still a theory, but what will happen if I boost serotonin levels naturally?

Ali, sorry to intrude on your topic! Sometimes I get so confused ;-)

This article changed me:

http://www.optimallivingdynamics.com/blog/7-important-nutrients-depleted-by-psychiatric-drugs-antidepressants-antipsychotics-stimulants-benzodiazepines-induced-guide-vitamins-medications

I have been taking B-complexes for a long time, but on my "spectra cell tests" (google it and get one done) by B2 levels went down into a borderline deficiency. I got some "Mega B-stress" by solaray, but only taking 1 out of the 3 per serving because I am was also on Klaire Lab's "vitaspectrum" vitamins (with methylated folate and b-12) and I thought I shouldn't over do it in the B-complex department. I have been on methylated folate and b-12 for a while now. 

Because of that optimal living dynamics article I got a special b-2 called "riboflavin-5-phosphate" and I have been taking 1 capsule at 10mg of it a day (Douglas laboratories.) I feel SO GOOD. It is my third or fourth day and I am ALIVE. I thought the problem couldn't be a simple b2 problem, but part of it definitely IS! 

I am going to move onto Pure Capsulation's Brand "B-complex Plus" after 2 weeks... it has everything I have talked about in this post in one. 

Please read that article. I have been looking through his citations for the article, and I think he is getting this super valuable information from a book that, it is rumored, big pharma sold the rights too....

Drug-Induced Nutrient Depletion Handbook Paperback – March, 2001

I looked at the internet links and they were about some interesting stuff, but I am on seroquel and I want to know where he got the info that seroquel is to blame for these deficiencies. 

I was on Seroquel from 2008-2016 because Seroquel doesn't cause akathisia (in my case) and all other drugs do.   

I am tapering slowly off Seroquel- got down to 393.75mg, Fall 2016 ... 3% taper still couldn't keep me from hospital. 

Hospital stay switched me to 300 clozapine/clozaril.

Summer 2017: slowly cut and weighed clozapine/clozaril from 300mg to 275mg over 3 months. 

OP, if you were on an SSRI before, then you may be more prone to serotonin syndrome when ingesting 5-HTP + serotonin boosting nutrients (like B Vitamins). Otherwise no, it should be fine, but if you are currently or had been on an anti-depressant, I would be careful. Serotonin Syndrome is not pretty, you will be sweating, agitated, delirious, and have fluctuating degrees of disorientation / paranoia. As well as a lot of other physical effects, including but not limited to, tachycardia, hypothermia/hyperthermia, and bowel irritation.

Past AD Experiences : (Fluvoxamine 3 years, D/C'd @ age 15).

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it

~Terry Pratchett~

WITHDRAWAL REGIMEN/STORY

Originally for OCD, the luvox took about 6 months to taper off.

Withdrawal supplements; lemon balm, Vitamin B3, black water/fulvic acid, high-protein diet to restore neurotransmitters, aniracetam to counter memory issues, deprenyl for persisting anhedonia.

Regimen still maintained til this day. Lemon balm, generally as capsules, however, as I suffer chronic Insomnia, I often use essential oil or as aromatherapy before bed , in combination with magnesium and lysine on bad nights.

• Moderator Emeritus

VitaminB -

We are reluctant to recommend B-vitamins to someone who is in withdrawal or is tapering. They can be overstimulating, even when there is a deficiency.

For most people it is best to wait until they are fully off the drug. At that point, one can evaluate if additional B vitamins will be of assistance.

scallywag's Introduction

Yes, I have been warned. Thanks

I was on Seroquel from 2008-2016 because Seroquel doesn't cause akathisia (in my case) and all other drugs do.   

I am tapering slowly off Seroquel- got down to 393.75mg, Fall 2016 ... 3% taper still couldn't keep me from hospital. 

Hospital stay switched me to 300 clozapine/clozaril.

Summer 2017: slowly cut and weighed clozapine/clozaril from 300mg to 275mg over 3 months. 

• 3 weeks later...

Tryptophan and 5-htp worse PSSD and sexual dysfunction, are precursors of serotonin, i recommend to stay away from them during the WD.

2001, Amisulpride (deniban) - 3 months, I taper in some weeks

2001, Seroquel, 4 weeks - quit cold turkey, 2001. Efexxor,  one pill adverse reaction

2002. Amitryptaline (mutabon mite) - 4 months, I taper really faster in some weeks

around more 10 years drug free

4 December 2013, 7 drops of citalopram , adverse reaction

December    2013, Italian supplement called serenplus with tryptophan, 9 pills adverse reaction, quit cold turkey.

After December 2013, Im drug free.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everybody.

Does anybody recommend using 5-HTP during AD WD, and does 5-HTP act as a serotonin re uptake inhibitor? Or just boosts these amounts of serotonin in the brain? Anyone had positive results from using 5-HTP during AD WD? And how long generally are the effects known to take place. 

Been taking for around 6 days with little result. 

Do you dose it twice a day or just single dosage?

100mg capsule.

Zinzan 

No we do not recommend 5-HTP.  Please read through the entire thread and you'll get a lot of answers as to why.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hello everybody.

Does anybody recommend using 5-HTP during AD WD, and does 5-HTP act as a serotonin re uptake inhibitor? Or just boosts these amounts of serotonin in the brain? Anyone had positive results from using 5-HTP during AD WD? And how long generally are the effects known to take place. 

Been taking for around 6 days with little result. 

Do you dose it twice a day or just single dosage?

100mg capsule.

Zinzan 

Hi, as far as I know 5-HTP doesn't work like a reuptake inhibitor. It does not have the same mechanism as SSRI's.

Take for example L-tryptophan, it is the precursor for serotonin, it simply metabolizes to serotonin, while SSRIs work by sneaking into the synapses and blocking presynaptic re-uptake of serotonin, totally different ways of achieving effect. So I think it just raises the levels of serotonin in the brain, but it's not like it's specific, so it might not reach the areas in the brain where you would want or need more serotonin.

• 2 weeks later...

This may have been already been a subject on here but has anyone had any success or is it one to be avoided , told my doctor I don't want any more meds so he said have I tried it ,

2001 to jan 2015 Effexor 150 mg 

jan 2015 15 mg mirtazapine 20 mg quetiapine 

feb 2015 quetiapine stopped 

feb 2015 30 mg of citalopram added 

feb 2015 mirtazapine increased to 30 mg 

july 2015 citalopram stopped 

sept 2015 200mg of pregabalin 

jan 2017 mirtazapine stopped

jan 2017 20 mg fluoxetine

march 2017 all meds stopped 

Hi. I havent been on here for a long while. I came off my anytidepressant a year ago. I recently tried 5htp and have found it extremely helpful. I feel human again after a year of bad anxiety. I find i cope ok when nothing stressful is goin on but any small stressor triggers my anxiety. Plus i have horrendus pms. 5htp has been a life saver. I m aware it wears off though so plan to take sporadically.

Been on many different psych medications since the age of 17 and i m now 36. I have stopped citalopram and sertraline at the age of 19 and 24 but relapsed/wd effects so restarted sertraline at 24 for past 11 years at 75mg. Then 50mg. Tapered off sertraline over a 3 month period and stopped it completely since august 15. Experienced dizziness,vertigo and fatigue. Currently severe anxiety at times and low mood, extreme emotions, frequent tearfulness, anger and irritability. Reinstated sertraline 5mg on 19 dec.

• 1 year later...

i'm so close to asking the doctor to put me back on ad's but i really don't want to do that in case i make things worse. 

i'm wondering if 5-htp is the lesser of two evils. there seem to be so many posts on this site for and against which makes it really hard to decide whether to try it or not. i'm wondering if it would be a better bet than the ad's, or will it set back the 18 months of withdrawal i've already endured? i don't want to prolong my healing any more but i really am at rock bottom and need some help. 

Took prozac 40 mg for 20 years.

January 2017 started cutting down prozac by 12.5% a week. End of February 2017 completely off prozac and withdrawals began.

Currently taking Levothyroxine 75 mcg, Magnesium citrate 200mg,Sage leaf 50mg daily

Amlodipine: October 2017 , discontinued 26 Feb 2019; Candesartan:  26 Feb 2019, 4mg.

Discontinued magnesium citrate 200mg Apr 3rd 2019

Reinstated prozac:  14 Jan 2019, 1mg; 26 Jan, 1.5mg; 4 Feb, 2mg; 16 Feb, 2.5mg; 2 Mar, 3mg; 5 Mar, 2.5mg, 23 Mar, 3 mg; 6 Apr, 3.5mg, 14 Apr 4mg, 23 Apr 5mg, 10 Jul 8mg, 1 Dec 20mg, 1 Apr 2020 40mg 

buspar  7/16 to 4/17  does  45 mg, 30 mg , 15mg then 60 mg  stopped did not like the side effects  tapered 

paxil    10 mg 10 /16  11 / 16 bad reaction  stopped  

xanax  .25 mg as needed   10 /16  30 days  only stopped 

ativan  1/17 1 mg 30 days supply  tapper off   the best i could  1/16/18  stopped 
prozac  4/16 to  1/17    20 mg start   then 6 months 40 mgs then down  10/17 to 20 mgs   off 2/17 bad reaction  stopped 

klonopin  .5  three daily   as needed  took .5 for 30 days when getting   on Prozac 5/1/17 stopped   then started again  1/2/18 to 4/10 stopped by tapering over 30 days down to .125 a day. though time, but  better now stopped 

Mertizipine   11/16 to present started 15 mg  at 7.5 mg  4/17 to  7/18 ,  7/4/18   3.5 mg  skipping does  the plan was to go off it while on  Prozac  but  it never worked    back on 7.5 mg 

Wow-he talks a lot of sense - thankyou for posting that 😀    i took one 50mg htp pill last night and now regret it. I kept waking all through the night with jumps and twitches and had horrible vivid dreams. I've binned the pills. I guess it's back to waiting and waiting and not pinning my hopes on a miracle cure. 

Took prozac 40 mg for 20 years.

January 2017 started cutting down prozac by 12.5% a week. End of February 2017 completely off prozac and withdrawals began.

Currently taking Levothyroxine 75 mcg, Magnesium citrate 200mg,Sage leaf 50mg daily

Amlodipine: October 2017 , discontinued 26 Feb 2019; Candesartan:  26 Feb 2019, 4mg.

Discontinued magnesium citrate 200mg Apr 3rd 2019

Reinstated prozac:  14 Jan 2019, 1mg; 26 Jan, 1.5mg; 4 Feb, 2mg; 16 Feb, 2.5mg; 2 Mar, 3mg; 5 Mar, 2.5mg, 23 Mar, 3 mg; 6 Apr, 3.5mg, 14 Apr 4mg, 23 Apr 5mg, 10 Jul 8mg, 1 Dec 20mg, 1 Apr 2020 40mg 

I started taking this on Wednesday.

Had a VERY ramped up CNS on Thursday and a racing heart that night.

??.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• Administrator

You may notice we don't recommend taking these supplements.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

31 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

You may notice we don't recommend taking these supplements.

Yes, I just saw this thread Alto.

My Osteo and ND recommended I start taking it.

From what I've read, it could have been the 5-Htp that sent me over the edge this week.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• 1 month later...

It's been said that 5htp can only work for those who are predisposed to lower serotonin.  There are certain gene mutations that causes a person to produce higher dopamine rather than serotonin.  For those who have balanced levels or higher serotonin, then of course 5htp would cause issues.

Junglechicken- I do wonder if the 5htp caused the edginess or was it possible you could have experienced a wave from being off the medications.

<p>10 years of ssri and finally tapered off in 2 years. Off Celexa by jan/28/2014 and off benzos by March/6th/2014 after only two months use and still experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

I have been taking l-tryptophan all throughout my withdrawal, not everyday but only on nights where I absolutely can't sleep, it is sometimes the only thing that will get me to sleep. I do notice that when I take it I get electrical sounds in my head, sounds like my brain is short circuiting but I do get to sleep and feel a little better the next day. I actually really don't like taking it because it's probably prolonging my withdrawal but with a small child with autism I am so desperate to get some sleep on those horrible insomnia nights.

Started celexa 40mg in spring 2011.stopped cold turkey Oct 2016.

Started clonazepam 2mg in spring 2011.Stopped cold turkey Sept 2011.

Started Zoloft 100mg Oct 2016.stopped cold turkey Nov 23 2017

Started Ativan 2 mg Spring 2016. Stopped cold turkey Nov 23 2017.

Currently taking Magnesium glycinate, and L-tryptophan. 

• Administrator

Thanks, Ninfia. You may wish to take a bit less, to avoid those zaps.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently read a page authored by Julia Ross regarding methods of substituting 5-htp or others while taking the SSRI- as long as it is longer than 6 hours prior to the dose of ssri.  

Obviously, the advice of your physician is suggested during this process. 

This sounds a bit dangerous, but I do believe that this conversion could work.  

Anyone aware of this method, or has anyone tried this substitution?

Zoloft- 2010-2014 Lexa Aug 2015 Oct2017 Zoloft 50mg. Dec 17-May18

Cital 10mg May-18 to July 16 18

9.0 cital to 6.5mg,  July 30 18

7.0 mg cital liquid - until 11/23/18 /5.0 mg cital liquid - 7-13-19 4.6mg cital liquid - 7-14-19 - 8-13-19/4.2mg cital liquid - 8-14-19 - 9-13-19/4.0 mg cital liquid - 9-14-19- 11-20-19 -3.8mg-11/19-1-20. 3.7mg 6-20 3.2mg currently at 3.0mg cital liquid. 
2/20 added sodium alginate for gerd - caused updose. 

pantoprazole added 6/20. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Windsor,

I moved your new topic in tapering here.  We don't recommend 5-HTP.  Read through the entire thread and you will see why.  Start with the first post on page one.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

👍

Zoloft- 2010-2014 Lexa Aug 2015 Oct2017 Zoloft 50mg. Dec 17-May18

Cital 10mg May-18 to July 16 18

9.0 cital to 6.5mg,  July 30 18

7.0 mg cital liquid - until 11/23/18 /5.0 mg cital liquid - 7-13-19 4.6mg cital liquid - 7-14-19 - 8-13-19/4.2mg cital liquid - 8-14-19 - 9-13-19/4.0 mg cital liquid - 9-14-19- 11-20-19 -3.8mg-11/19-1-20. 3.7mg 6-20 3.2mg currently at 3.0mg cital liquid. 
2/20 added sodium alginate for gerd - caused updose. 

pantoprazole added 6/20. 

• 8 months later...

Hey I tried 5htp and it was the best day I’ve had in 7 years but the next day I woke up feeling homicidal, I’m scared to do that again because of how uncontrollably violent I felt, but during the day I took it, I felt it was the missing ingredient my body demanded after 7 years withdrawal from Zoloft, what should I do? 

Edited by Guest
reduced font

• 10 months later...

Is taking 5-HTP the same as taking an antidepressant?

Does taking supplements such as 5-HTP work the same way as an SSRI? In other words, can it cause withdrawal and dependence as well?

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

• 4 months later...

5HTP was helpful for me, started several months AFTER my Lexapro taper was completed.  It should be taken, if at all, in a low dose with a meal.

Keep in mind that this should be considered a high-risk substance.  It directly increases serotonin in your body and brain.  I would strongly suggest NOT combining this with any serotonergic medication, including "antidepressants."  Serotonin syndrome is extremely severe,.  It presents suddenly, like an extreme panic attack, with tachycardia & clonus (shaking of the limbs).  It can cause death.  There's also no diagnostic test they can run in the ER to confirm it.

There is some research to suggest 5HTP competitively depletes catecholamines (dopamine, norepinephrine), and someone online has suggested that it may calcify heart valves (I've not been able to verify this).

I am not a doctor.  This is not medical advice.  Educate yourself and run every supplement you take by a doctor.

Previously - Escitalopram ("Lexapro"): 03 - 05/2018 - 10mg // 05/2018 - 12/2019 - monthly hyperbolic dose reduction to 0.

I am not a medical doctor.  Always consult a qualified medical professional before taking any substance.

• 4 months later...
On 7/12/2011 at 7:11 PM, Altostrata said:

cymbaltaD -- It's not a good idea to take 5-HTP with a serotonergic drug as it could cause excessive elevation of serotonin. So cross-tapering with 5-HTP would be risky.

There are no reports that I know of about this succeeding.

If you mean can you treat withdrawal symptoms with 5-HTP, I guess you could say we are still gathering info on that. Occasionally people say it helps, others say it hurts.

Has 5-HTP been used to relieve withdrawal symptoms?
It is not recommended to use it with other drug
But is there any information that would help relieve depression if the drug is given up?

Xanax 0,5mg 1999-2019 a Xanax 0,5mg paar korda kuus, vajadusel

Cymbalta 30mg 2012-25.04.2018 kitsenev 2-3 kuud,rasked sümptomid 1 nädal pärast viimast annust

Amitriptüliin 25mg 25.05.18-20.01.19 ,kitsenev 2-3 kuuga, unetus, paanika-ärevus, segasusseisund, iiveldus

Valdoxan 25mg 10.02.19-10.03.19, ei stabiliseerinud olukorda, Lorasepaam 10.02.19-20.02.19 vajadusel üleöö

Brintellix 5mg 10.03.19-30.06.19 ,ei stabiliseerinud olukorda, hirme, segasust ja unetust, olin haiglas 1 nädal

Olansapiin 5mg 01.03.19-02.08.19,unetuse leevendamiseks suureneb segasus, suureneb depressioon, tekib raske akatiisia Cymbalta 30mg 30.06.19-01.08.19,ei tööta enam, olukord ei stabiliseeru, jälle haiglas 2 nädalat

Levomepromasiin 5mg 03.08.19-20.12.19 aitas magada, kuid suurendas segadust ja depressiooni

Anafraniil 75mg03.08.19-15.12.19  15.12.19 , 35mg  17.05.20  , 27mg 01.01.21 16.07.21 oli päevane A19 mg 01.04.22 11mg 01.11.22 8,6mg, 01.11.23 6,5mg 01.01.24 5mg

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy