Melanie: should I reinstate Lexapro

melanie

Hi, I've been on Lexapro for a year. My highest dose was 5 mgs. Since Aug. 4th I tapered to 1,25 mg daily. I am feeling terrible. A complete lack of motivation. Unable to get out of bed, wash myself. Stopped working a year and a half ago, am on disability benefit. Lots of anxiety, compulsions and obsessions (hand-washing), terrible insomnia.

The additional problem is I'm taking Valium and Ambien. For sleep also Seroquel, a tiny amount (a quarter of 25 mg). Also anti-acne (BC) medication Diane-35.

Used to be on Lexapro 10-15 mg in years 2007-2011, switched to Effexor for two years 2012-2013. This caused me terrible acne and post-acne scarring, then to Wellbutrin for 1 month (hot flashes, gaining weight). Then to Prozac for a year. Could normally function, work, but developped severe anxiety, which finally led me to benzos. Zoloft acts on me similarly to Prozac. Severe anxiety. Overall, I've been taking antidepressants for 15 years.

What should I do about Lexapro? Reinstate? Quit completely? Feel like killing myself. 

Hugs, Melanie

1990-1992 Anafranil. OCD under control, extreme social phobia. Hospitalized for the 1st and 2nd time (out of 3). 1999-2002: Prozac 20 mg. Stopped due to severe anxiety. Increased benzo consumption. 2003-2005: AD free (therapy). Feeling good, started working. Persisted 9 yrs in full-time job. 2005-2007: Ixel (milnacipran). SNRI. 2007-2011: Lexapro 10-15 mg. Fatigue and anxiety. Mania. Insomnia. Acne. Shopoholism. Polydrugging with different meds. 2011-2013: Effexor 37,5-150 mg (mostly 75 mg). SNRI. Fatigue and depression, terrible acne with scars, now gone. April 2013: Wellbutrin 150 mg. Hot flashes, extreme appetite, aggression. May 2013 - May 2014: Prozac - from 10 mg to 0 mg, very harsh taper. Functioning great but EXTREME ANXIETY. From May 2014: tried different ADs to replace Prozac, nothing worked, terrible side effects (Seroxat, Zoloft, Luvox, Brintellix, Doxepin, Trazodone). May 2014 back to benzos (Valium) in hope of improvement, aggravated depression and anxiety. Sept. 2014: Lexapro 2,5 mg, highest dose 5 mg for 1,5 months (Spring 2015). Steady decline, anxiety, fatigue. Diagnosed with OCD, dysthymia, social phobia, anxiety disorder, insomnia, eating disorder (first bulimia, then anorexia). Current meds: Seroquel 6,25 mg for sleep - 5 mg since Nov. 5, 2015. Lexapro 1,25 mg since Aug. 4th 2015. Valium, Ambien prn, tapering. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9984-melanie-should-i-reinstate-lexapro/

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• melanie

• AliG

• starburst

• Nomoreheadmeds

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Replies copied from a personal messenger exchange (with permission)

If you were put on these medications to deal with OCD, then you could guess that this is your old condition coming to the surface again. Withdrawal often makes those symptoms worse for awhile. Insomnia is a tell-tale sign of withdrawal.

It's important to distinguish what your withdrawal symptoms from SSRI/SNRIs are versus what your underlying tendencies are.

Your years on SSRIs from 2007 -2013 have altered your brain structure, and it could take a long time for your brain to slowly readjust back to normal. Healing usually happens, it is just takes a lot of patience and time.

It doesn't matter if you felt completely fine on these drugs while taking them. It is when we taper down too fast or come off them that we go through very difficult withdrawal. From reading individual accounts on here, you can see that this recovery process often takes between 2 -4 years.

Tapering from 5 mg to 1.25 mg Lexapro over the course of one month is way too fast. That is basically the same as a cold turkey. If you want to try to reduce withdrawal effects, it is best to follow the 10% taper method recommended on this forum, and proceed very slowly.

Some with experience may recommend going back to the 5 mg Lexapro if you were stable on that, stabilize, and then decide to taper down from there. Others may recommend trying to stabilize on the 1.25 mg. I never reinstated, so I can't recommend anything about reinstating. 

Good luck - many people recover from this mess, and I continue to be very hopeful for my recovery, as many of my symptoms have improved. But I still have a long way to go.

Thanks for your reply, Clearday. I used to be on 2,5 mg for about a month and a half, as recommended by my pdoc. He thinks I can't tolerate SSRIs, but doesn't have a clue how to replace them. He thought I could quit Lexapro completely and continue tapering benzos, which seem to be the only meds I tolerate. But they aggravate my depression. I was diagnosed with dysthymia (first with depression), with OCD, social phobia and anxiety (neurosis). Since 1990. I've been medicated since then, I feel my brain is beyond repair. And in addition so altered by SSRIs that the only solution is to go back to higher doses. I tried everything, tricyclics, neuroleptics, anti-seizure (Tegretol, Lyrica). I've been off classic benzos for 11 years (only Ambien), but restarted them in May 2014 and they only make matters worse. I post on this forum because I'm desperate. I'm gonna see my pdoc on Sept 8th and he's gonna tell me to reinstate on 2,5 mg. All month of torture on 1,25 mg wasted... Every morning I wake up, I spend so much time before swallowing this white quarter of a pill. Cause I suspect more and more that it's poison I'm swallowing. I would like to move my post to the Introduction section, maybe more people can contribute. But don't know how to do it.

Hi Melanie,
I read your post with concern. Polypharmacy and chopping and changing between meds is a circle of decline IMO and it seems you are caught up in it....what a nightmare for you. It must feel overwhelming and incredibly difficult.

I only took one drug...Lexapro 10mg....and later Citalopram 10mg whilst in unrecognised withdrawal. I'm not an expert on poly-pharmacy but agree that many people seem to struggle more with these drugs as time goes on and their symptoms get worse or resistant. It adds to the desperation when you try to withdraw and is so very, very hard.

The advice on here for people like you who have taken several drugs or are currently taking more than one, is the best I have found. The approach is to persist, employ calming techniques anda systematic, methodical, gradual approach. This isn't easy when you feel so messed up, emotional and desperate....but try to do this if you can and get set for a very slow journey which may be the only way to get free of these drugs.

OCD is tricky. I'm not personally convinced that meds can sort it out, but getting effective help isn't easy either. It's a catch 22 that many fall foul of.

You've come to the right place. Please stick around and dig in for a long haul.
take care
x

Thank you Marmite. I've found SSRIs have always increased my polydrugging tendencies. The bigger dose of an SSRI, the more different meds I took.

They also induce mania, I have had for years this tendency to spend more money than I used to earn. To involve in those multiple crazy activities, I no more understand why.

They make me oblivious to any consequences of my actions. I am so scared of these drugs.

Yet, to think of suicide every second of the day (while tapering) is also terrifying. I have my little beloved cat to take care of, so I must live for her.

Right now, life has become a pure hell though. I don't even have enough mental strength to properly take care of her. There is only one benefit from tapering: lower Lexapro dose has made me sleep better. SSRI's have always given me terrible insomnia.

I tried to go cold turkey for 1,5 week in June, sleep improved dramatically. But then terrible depression came, I couldn't even move. Upon reinstatement to 2,5 mg I had a sharp attack of fury, got into a fight with my mother and she broke my finger. Had it immobilized for a month.

So I stayed on this 2,5 mg dose until Aug 4th, when I tapered to 1,25 mg. Every morning, I struggle with the thought not to take this poison into my mouth any more. But I give up. Too scared not to do it.

I kept a journal for 4 years before SSRIs. I had tons of motivation and life energy, despite my illness, despite even taking benzos for insomnia and anxiety. Had dreams, plans, was active. Yes, I suffered. But it wasn't 1/1000 of suffering I have been going through for a last couple of months.

In my country, SSRIs are extremely popular, every fourth person is taking them. There is not even liquid Lexapro. Every pdoc I visit tells me to take them in large doses. I have visited dozens of pdocs over the last 28 years of my sickness. Only this one pdoc suspects SSRIs may be harmful to me.

So very tired, always dreaming about going to sleep and not waking up to this nightmare... called life...

Edited by Petunia
added quotes/replies

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Melanie,

I'm so sorry for what you have been through, I'm glad you found us and decided to post, this is a great place to find support while you are recovering from withdrawal. Thank you for filling in your signature.

You've received some good ideas and suggestions via PM. I'm not sure what to suggest at the moment, but I have a few questions.

Did going back on Lexapro in September last year help at all? Have you ever felt stable on it over the last year? If so, at what dose?

Please tell us more about Valium and Ambien, what dose are you taking and how often. Do you take these every day? Do you take seroquel every night. Please would you add these to your signature.

For now, I suggest you don't make any changes, until you get back to us with more details, here are a few links which would be good for you to read so you can understand more about tapering and withdrawal.

Why Taper By 10% of My Dosage?

The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Here is the link to our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful ideas to help manage symptoms as you recover.  Especially read the topics pinned at the top.

You have been taking these drugs for 15 years, so its probably going to take a while for you to recover, but with patience, and learning how to take care of your nervous system, you will get better.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Hi Melanie,

No, going on Lexapro last year in Sept. didn't help a bit. I just desperately needed another SSRI after Prozac, and this was the only one I barely tolerate.

Yes, I have to take Ambien every night for sleep, 1-2 tablets. I've been suffering from insomnia for thirty years. I used to add a cocktail of different neuroleptics during my wild SSRI days. Prescribed by pdocs of course.

Seroquel I'm planning to quit - it's mission is to put me to sleep together with Ambien. But it makes you gain weight and causes frequent awakenings.

Valium I take for social anxiety, 2-5 mg every day.

Thank you for the links, i'm gonna read every single one of them. Hope they help.

Hugs, Mel

1990-1992 Anafranil. OCD under control, extreme social phobia. Hospitalized for the 1st and 2nd time (out of 3). 1999-2002: Prozac 20 mg. Stopped due to severe anxiety. Increased benzo consumption. 2003-2005: AD free (therapy). Feeling good, started working. Persisted 9 yrs in full-time job. 2005-2007: Ixel (milnacipran). SNRI. 2007-2011: Lexapro 10-15 mg. Fatigue and anxiety. Mania. Insomnia. Acne. Shopoholism. Polydrugging with different meds. 2011-2013: Effexor 37,5-150 mg (mostly 75 mg). SNRI. Fatigue and depression, terrible acne with scars, now gone. April 2013: Wellbutrin 150 mg. Hot flashes, extreme appetite, aggression. May 2013 - May 2014: Prozac - from 10 mg to 0 mg, very harsh taper. Functioning great but EXTREME ANXIETY. From May 2014: tried different ADs to replace Prozac, nothing worked, terrible side effects (Seroxat, Zoloft, Luvox, Brintellix, Doxepin, Trazodone). May 2014 back to benzos (Valium) in hope of improvement, aggravated depression and anxiety. Sept. 2014: Lexapro 2,5 mg, highest dose 5 mg for 1,5 months (Spring 2015). Steady decline, anxiety, fatigue. Diagnosed with OCD, dysthymia, social phobia, anxiety disorder, insomnia, eating disorder (first bulimia, then anorexia). Current meds: Seroquel 6,25 mg for sleep - 5 mg since Nov. 5, 2015. Lexapro 1,25 mg since Aug. 4th 2015. Valium, Ambien prn, tapering. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9984-melanie-should-i-reinstate-lexapro/

Sorry Petunia.

"Hi Petunia" not "Hi Melanie"

I wanted to say on Sept. 4th, 7.34 AM

I was just so tired.

I guess you cannot edit your posts later.

Welcome 'melanie'

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.

Welcome Nomoreheadmeds. I see you took sertraline. Zoloft helped me quit benzos over the course of three months back in 2002 (Oct.-Nov). I used to take a tiny amount, 25 mg first, then 12,5 mg, along with many other meds (neuroleptics, anti-seizure, antihistamines). I used to be benzo-free for 11 yrs, but unfortunately, back to hell in May 2014.

Wish I could switch Lexapro to Zoloft. I passionately hate Lexapro. The brain fog, fatigue, apathy, the underlying anxiety, insomnia. But Zoloft and Prozac now make me incredibly anxious. They are activating, but can't take them any more.

Today I feel so lousy, no words can describe it. Zero life energy. I can barely function, the simplest household chores are torture. Planned to go out tomorrow, but it won't be possible, bedbound most of the time. I so much regret it, haven't seen a friend for three months because of what's been happening with me. I miss him so much. Will I ever see him?

How are you doing?

Mel

It must be hard when relationships suffer 'Melanie' .Morning anxiety is my hardest symptom to deal with at the moment ,ty for asking.

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Melanie , welcome to the site.  

You have one hour after you write a post to edit it , just wave the little hand around next to the MULTIQUOTE icon and

EDIT will come up.

Nice work on your signature.  Could you add one line at the bottom with your current meds. please?

You'll get some solid advice soon , your job is to hang in there at the moment.

It will definitely get better than this.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thank you Fresh, for a good word. I was actually thinking of deleting/closing my account since so few people come here to say sth supportive. It makes me more and more depressed. Besides Lexapro 1,25 mg, I'm taking Seroquel 6,25 mg for sleep. Planning to get rid of Seroquel, it makes me eat too much and causes apathy. I'm also taking Valium and Ambien in tiny amounts prn. I'll put it in my signature if I actually persevere on this site. Right now, I feel terribly lonely both here and in real life. I guess real life loneliness causes enough pain.

Best wishes, Melanie

Nomoreheadmeds, is your anxiety from stopping diazepam? Or is it also related to your history os sertraline use? Mel

• Mentor

Welcome to the group...................      you will learn, so much great stuff on this site,,,,,,,,,,, and you will be able to do a good decision.................

anyway, welcome.......... all I can say is seroquol, quetiapine, is my last drug to kick,,,,,,,,,,,,,for me it is a sedative, and gives me an appetite...........

But I am usually thin, but the drugs made me fat!!!!!!!!!!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, no idea of lexapro......

keep posting  sorry if I didnt reply, many off us so sick we only post not as often as we wish we could................. hugs, keep on moving forward/////

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• Moderator Emeritus

You wrote "since August 4th I tapered to 1.25mg daily".     What dose were you taking before that?   When you talk about reinstating , do you

think you were doing better on a higher dose , e.g. 2.5mg?

Could you put all the drugs you're taking at the moment into the interaction checker at http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php

It's the weekend all over the world ,  people will respond over the next few days.

;)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

'melanie' I tapered three meds at the same time so it could be one or a mixture of the three.

Hello again Fresh,

Before Aug. 4th I was taking 2,5 mg Lexapro for three months (May-July). Prior to that it was 5 mg for 1,5 month (March- mid April). Until that time (since Sept. 2014) I took 2,5 mg.

Now I have been on 1,25 mg since Aug. 4th, and it' s more and more suffering. I stopped leaving the house, gave up completely on household tasks, hygiene etc. Only sleep has been better.

On larger doses of Lexapro I experienced constant insomnia, my polydrugging tendencies increased, I had lot of anxiety, akathisia etc. Wasn't helpful for OCD. But I was probably more active. Now the simplest tasks are pure torture. Deep, debilitating depression. It's been almost two years since I stopped working. I'm on disability benefit and dependent upon my parents.

Checked the drug interactions, major interaction is between Seroquel and Lexapro (cardiac problems).

Melanie

Hello ang,

Thanks for posting. I used to take 200 mg of Seroquel for sleep back in 2002. Now I only take 6,25 mg and it somehow helps me with sleep. I started suffering from insomnia before all the drugs, when my sickness began. I was like 17 yrs old at the time. At the hospital last year they gave me 400 mg. I ran away after two days. Seroquel's major drawback is that appetite increase. And the risk of diabetes. This is why I'm trying to get rid of it. It also causes frequent awakenings.

If it is good for you, just continue taking it. None of the drugs I take really helps, benzos give only temporary relief.

Lexapro is similar to citalopram, which you took for 3 weeks.

I see you took Effexor, me too. It's a terrible drug.

Hugs, Melanie

I reinstated Lexapro to 2,5 mg today. Couldn't stand the suffering. All month of being on 1,25 mg wasted. Will never get out of this hell. Could anyone please help me?

I hopes this works for you melanie and you find some pezce within

• Moderator Emeritus

You WILL get out of this Melanie , you've just had a hiccup on the way to your destination.  The 50% decrease from 2.5mg to 1.25mg

was simply too big.

These are the links recommended by Petunia . . . read them and you'll understand the process better.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

One you've been stable for a good 2/3 months , you can begin to taper in a more conservative manner , and you'll be fine.

:)

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Hang In the Melanie,

Tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

• Administrator

Even if you've gone up to 2.5mg, it may take some time for your nervous system to settle down. Be patient and be prepared for ups and downs. See The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you NoMoreHeadMeds for your support. It means a lot to me. Hold on, it must get better someday.

Mel

Thank you Fresh. I read all the links. I understand I should reduce by 10%. However, I only have 5 mg tablets - which I crash into four parts with a pill crusher. Thus I get either two halves (2,5 mg each), either four quarters (1,5 mg each). The liquid formula isn't available in my country, I want to import from the US 5 mg/5ml (Amneal Pharmaceuticals), but it will take at least two months.

This is the reason I take either 2,5 mg or 1,5 mg. I'm too confused to make the liquid myself. Too confused to write more at the moment.

Hugs x

Melanie

Thank you Tgirl, posted in your thread.

x

Even if you've gone up to 2.5mg, it may take some time for your nervous system to settle down. Be patient and be prepared for ups and downs. See The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Thank you Alto. I read diligently all the links sent to me, try to learn as much as possible. And find my way out of this hell. I browse through threads on this forum, but I sometimes feel to sick to write anything.

Mel

Wouldn't the quarter be  1. 25 mg ??  Correct me if I'm wrong . 4 X  1.5 = 6  mg ??

Hang in there. Read up . 

I'm not good with copy/ paste or I would give you the links.  Go to " tapering".

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

UPDATE - SEPT. 12TH 2015

I'm back to 1,5 mg of Lexapro, dropped the dose yesterday (Sept. 11th) from 2,5 mg.

The reinstatement to 2,5 mg brought me extreme insomnia, anxiety, akathisia, restlessness, confusion, terrible muscle stiffness and pain. I was more active but couldn't sleep at all. My being active didn't mean I could concentrate on anything. The only good thing: Lexapro numbed my emotions, they were seething under the surface.

I have severe neck discopathy which requires surgical intervention. I should have had this surgery more than 1 year ago, but am too sick (mentally) to go through this. Muscle stiffness from Lexapro makes the pain intolerable, all the left hand is completely stiff. I'm back at 1,25 mg, as suggested by my pdoc on Wednesday. He said I should drop the dose on Sept. 12th, after my PMS. I did it yesterday.

I told my pdoc about the 10% rule, but he dismissed the information. He also suggested I take 2,5 mg during my PMS (very severe), then drop to 1,25 mg. According to this site, such changes of dosage are like a rollercoaster to the brain. It would mean taking 2,5 mg for a week and a half, then dropping the dose to 1,25 mg. He also suggested mianserin for the third time. Mianserin causes extreme appetite, apathy and weight gain. I'm anorectic. I took mianserin last Spring, flushed the whole pack down the toilet. He blaims the depression on my sickness, not the SSRIs side effects and withdrawal syndrome. Says many people quit Lexapro without any difficulties. He also said I require psychiatric medication until the end of my life.

I am so scared the depression will return on 1,5 mg, as it did last week. The depression was horrible, thoughts of self harm and suicide all the time. But the reinstatement was also hellish, couldn't bear it.

I use the pill crusher to split the 5 mg pills. I split them either into 2 halves (2,5 mg) or 4 quarters (1,5 mg). That is why I dropped to 1,5 mg, instead of 2,25 mg, according to the 10% rule. The liquid version is unavailable in my country. I am too confused to make the liquid myself. I barely manage the household tasks and taking care of my Kitty.

Want to import liquid Lexapro from the US. It's not available in my country. The process will take two months, I hope to be still alive by that time. Or not in hospital, stuffed with tons of neuroleptics.

Please help me, I'm desperate. I'm so chaotic, but you are like my last resort. Until I break down completely.

I wish you all lots of healing and restoring the faith in yourself, not in the pill.

Mel

Hey Mel,

Sorry to hear you are suffering after your RI. I wish I had some advise for you.

Just hold on.

I am here for you,

Tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

Wouldn't the quarter be  1. 25 mg ??  Correct me if I'm wrong . 4 X  1.5 = 6  mg ??

Hang in there. Read up . 

I'm not good with copy/ paste or I would give you the links.  Go to " tapering".

Hello AliG, thank you so much for responding. Yes, the quarter is 1,25 mg. I dropped the Lexapro dose from 2,5 mg to 1,25 mg yesterday. My God, I'm so scared, crying all the time.

On top of that, my best friend (ex-husband) let me down so terribly yesterday. He also has mental troubles, but I can't understand how he can harm me so much. He's a recovering alcoholic/drug addict, sober for 12 years.

Thank you AliG for being there. I feel like I'm alone in the whole universe. Only me and my helpless Kitty.

x

Hey Mel,

Sorry to hear you are suffering after your RI. I wish I had some advise for you.

Just hold on.

I am here for you,

Tgirl

Thank you tgirl, we'll get out of this hell together. You are in my thoughts constantly. And your Remeron nightmare.

My emotions will subside I hope.

Psychiatric drugs are poison. They destroyed my life, that's all I know. Destroyed my motivation and will to live.

There's only HOPE left.

x

You're not alone, Mel.

you will get through this .  Love,  Ali. :)

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

UPDATE - SEPT. 12TH 2015

I'm back to 1,5 mg of Lexapro, dropped the dose yesterday (Sept. 11th) from 2,5 mg.

Hi Mel,

If you keep changing your dose, you will not stabilize. Please read through the links again. Here are some points to be aware of:

Many people become very sensitive to drugs and supplements after they've experienced withdrawal symptoms for even a short time. Do not count on taking the big risks you used to take. Make changes slowly.

Introducing a drug or supplement or changing a dosage very gradually gives you the ability to sample how it might affect you before you go too far.

A big dose or big change probably will cause a worse bad reaction than a very small dose or change. You can injure your nervous system pretty badly with a big change -- it might take you months or years to feel better.

2.b. Do not expect to feel better immediately. There are no silver bullets for withdrawal syndrome. There is no pill of any kind that will immediately put you back to normal. If you make a good change, the effect is likely to be slight at first. Be patient.

2.c. Do not jump around in dosage. For most drugs, it takes about 4 days for the change to fully register in your system. Unless you have an IMMEDIATE bad reaction, wait at least 4-7 days to see how the change affects you.

2.d. Be patient, recovery is inconsistent and gradual. The nervous system is very complicated. It can repair itself, but it takes time to do this. In the meantime, you may experience The Windows and Waves Pattern of Recovery

Jumping from 1.25 to 2.5 then back again was too big a change, these are 50% changes, we recommend changing your dose by no more than 10% at a time.

You also need to give yourself much more time to stabilize after changing your dose. Think in terms of weeks or months, not days.

Now that you are back at 1.25mg I suggest you stay there and use the methods from our symptoms and self care section to manage your symptoms as you wait to stabilize.

Keeping the dose and timing of all your drugs accurate and regular is going to be very important if you are going to stabilize. Take the same amount at the same time every day.

How often do you take Ambien?

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

You're not alone, Mel.

you will get through this .  Love,  Ali. :)

Thank you AliG for being there for me...

Posted on your thread.

Struggling like hell on 1,25 mg Lexapro. So scared, confused and desperate...

Thinking about all the people out there suffering.

If only I could pray... that would help I guess...

Love, Mel

So sorry mel..this is a nightmare we will all get through someday xxx

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

UPDATE - SEPT. 12TH 2015

Hi Mel,

If you keep changing your dose, you will not stabilize. Please read through the links again. Here are some points to be aware of:

Many people become very sensitive to drugs and supplements after they've experienced withdrawal symptoms for even a short time. Do not count on taking the big risks you used to take. Make changes slowly.

Introducing a drug or supplement or changing a dosage very gradually gives you the ability to sample how it might affect you before you go too far.

A big dose or big change probably will cause a worse bad reaction than a very small dose or change. You can injure your nervous system pretty badly with a big change -- it might take you months or years to feel better.

2.b. Do not expect to feel better immediately. There are no silver bullets for withdrawal syndrome. There is no pill of any kind that will immediately put you back to normal. If you make a good change, the effect is likely to be slight at first. Be patient.

2.c. Do not jump around in dosage. For most drugs, it takes about 4 days for the change to fully register in your system. Unless you have an IMMEDIATE bad reaction, wait at least 4-7 days to see how the change affects you.

2.d. Be patient, recovery is inconsistent and gradual. The nervous system is very complicated. It can repair itself, but it takes time to do this. In the meantime, you may experience The Windows and Waves Pattern of Recovery

Jumping from 1.25 to 2.5 then back again was too big a change, these are 50% changes, we recommend changing your dose by no more than 10% at a time.

You also need to give yourself much more time to stabilize after changing your dose. Think in terms of weeks or months, not days.

Now that you are back at 1.25mg I suggest you stay there and use the methods from our symptoms and self care section to manage your symptoms as you wait to stabilize.

Keeping the dose and timing of all your drugs accurate and regular is going to be very important if you are going to stabilize. Take the same amount at the same time every day.

How often do you take Ambien?

Hello Petu,

Thank you for coming back to my thread. If I hurt your feelings once, I apologize. I am overwhelmed by emotions I guess. Both meds and my disease cause it.

You were very kind and helpful to me from the beginning and it means a lot to me. I will remember that always.

Yes, I dropped the dose to 1,25 mg Lexapro. From 2,5 mg. That is what my pdoc suggested. I also had terrible RI reaction.

If I had the liquid Lexapro, I would have made a 10% reduction, instead of 50%. But I only have the pill cutter and 5 mg Lexapro tablets. They can be split either into two halves (2,5 mg) or four quarters (1,25 mg). The liquid version is not available in my country. Want to import it from the US. May take two months. Too confused to make the liquid myself.

I am now very scared and wish to stay on the 1,25 mg dose as you suggested. But I am having wave after wave, it's all so difficult.

I sleep badly, am very agitated, terrible terrible anxiety and headaches. The household chores just seem impossible to go through. Can't keep up with them. I live alone with my 4-year old Kitty and must also take care of her. This night she peed all over the bed covers. She must sense my suffering and reacts in this way.

I guess I had an immediate bad reaction to 2,5 mg Lexapro dose, although I took it only for 3 days. You suggest to wait 4 days until the drug fully registers in the system. I just couldn't wait, thought I was going insane. And all the RI symptoms I listed above. Maybe my brain got accustomed to the 1,25 mg dose and it was impossible to reinstate...

Ambien I take almost daily to help with sleep. It aggravates my depression and anxiety, I know. But I've been suffering from insomnia for almost 30 yrs, it runs in my family.

On the other hand, the pdoc says I must stay on psychiatric medication until the end of my life. I've had this pdoc since 2010, he's a very important person in my life. But I guess he doesn't know what kind of psychiatric medication it should be, as I'm having bad reaction to almost everything.

Stay with me Petu, I've been missing you...

Hugs,

Mel

So sorry mel..this is a nightmare we will all get through someday xxx

Hello LoveandLight,

Beautiful nick you've got and that photo...

I must go now, but I'll check on your thread and post soon.

I know both Zoloft (3 months back in 2002) and Prozac (1999-2002, 2013-2014). Prozac was my biggest nightmare, I was only switched to Lexapro to quit Prozac. I still have a longing for Prozac, but had terrible RI reactions since Lexapro to both meds. Unbearable anxiety.

What med are you currently on? Prozac or Zoloft? Can't figure it out from your signature...

I have a vast experience with Prozac, it nearly killed me... Twice in my lifetime.

Be strong...

Love, Mel