L-arginine, agmatine, guanidine

Altostrata

Hi, is it really safe to break open the capsules for l-arginine? One or two sites said it was meant to be used in capsules and not powder form. I have a bottle of 500mg capsules sitting here for a year now and too scared to use the powder and try 25mg or less because I'm not sure if all powder forms of l-arginine are ok to break open.

Zoloft cold turkey in early '07. Survived withdrawal with other meds.

Hypersensitive to certain products/food/chemicals ever since. I'm not imagining things since they occur the day after I take them or tried something new the day before.

• Administrator

Yes, it's okay to take the powder out of the capsule. I did this for quite a while. It's only an amino acid.

By the way, L-ornithine is another amino acid enabling arginine production, and may be a less intense way to take arginine.

Both increase nitric oxide, which promotes sleep (and lowers blood pressure). See http://www.livestrong.com/article/542405-ornithine-for-sleep/

However, see http://www.livestrong.com/article/538178-can-ornithine-help-you-sleep/

As with all supplements, try a little bit first to see how it affects you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Alto, are you still taking the arginine? have you tried the ornithine yourself? I'd like to find something to help with the middle of the night awakening to get a couple more hours sleep. 

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

I took small amounts of arginine for quite a while and found it effective. Haven't tried the ornithine yet (saw alexejice's note about it).

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 3 months later...

Took a miniscule amount of arginine to get back to sleep after the glycine I had taken was too activating.   Only slept an extra hour but I will give this a shot tonight and see if I do better since the glycine won't be in the mix.

Stay tuned.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Used a very small amout of argine and glycine to get back to sleep. Tried just using argine initially but when I felt that wasn't going to be enough, dabbed a small amount of glycine on my finger.

Unfortunately, it didnt help me tolerate the mask. But when I took mask off, slept an hour.  Woke up for a second and then went to sleep for 3 more hours.

So if anyone is looking for a OTC sleep aide to get back to bed, you might want to give this a shot.  How long it will last is another issue.

Now I have to figure out a way to keep mask on.  It is like when I wake up trying to get back to sleep, my body wants no part of it.

CS

PS - Forgot to mention that even though I slept without the mask, I had the sense by sleep was better than it normally would be under these conditions. As a result, I found these previous links, including a post by Alto on this site, that seems to support my subjective feelings:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/100-l-arginine-for-sleep/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14500996

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• 4 weeks later...

Found arginine at the fitness store and thought i would give it a try. Read the label more closely at home, and the capsules contains l-arginine ethyl ester. Should this work? Its kind of a strange container in black with a big "ARGININE HARDCORE" print on it. Am i going to get no sleep, all muscle and ripped instead?

2010: Mirtazapine 30mg followed by Zopiclone 7.5 mg for sleep post surgery due to pain.
2012-> Tapering Mirtazapine and Zopiclone at different rates unsuccessfully.
2013: Hospitalized 10 days due to complete Insomnia. Forced back up to 45mg Mirtazapine, 7.5 mg Zopiclone and also Theralene 1 ml.
2013-03: Lab showed Vitamin D deficient. Found the vitamin d and insomnia connection. Supplementing vitamin d. Sleep improved by 1-2 hours
2013-04: Dropped mirtazapine to 30 due to severe side effects. Quit Theralene. Zopiclone 7.5.
2013-05 - 2013-11: Mirtazapine taper monthly 25 20 15 11 8 4 2.5 mg
2013-12 Holding M at 2.5. Need to taper Zopiclone due to daytime nausea and vomiting. Taper zopiclone 1/4 red every 5 d. Last Z 2013-12-19
2013-12-31 M:2.5. Reinstated Zopiclone 3.75 due to Insomnia
2014-01-06 M:2.5. Taper Z 1.9 ... 2014-01-14 M:2.5. Z 1 mg.
Jumped of Zopiclone 01-20. Jumped mirtazapine 02-16.

Theralene: 10mg 02-09. 8mg 03-09. 5mg 03-15. 4mg 03-24. 3mg 04-08. Jumped 04-21.
Zopiclone free for 251 days. Mirtazapine free for 224 days.

• Administrator

See http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/southfacts_aee.htm

I have no idea what this is. If it doesn't get degraded in the intestine, where does it get absorbed?

Will be careful with this one and try to get regular l-arginine

2010: Mirtazapine 30mg followed by Zopiclone 7.5 mg for sleep post surgery due to pain.
2012-> Tapering Mirtazapine and Zopiclone at different rates unsuccessfully.
2013: Hospitalized 10 days due to complete Insomnia. Forced back up to 45mg Mirtazapine, 7.5 mg Zopiclone and also Theralene 1 ml.
2013-03: Lab showed Vitamin D deficient. Found the vitamin d and insomnia connection. Supplementing vitamin d. Sleep improved by 1-2 hours
2013-04: Dropped mirtazapine to 30 due to severe side effects. Quit Theralene. Zopiclone 7.5.
2013-05 - 2013-11: Mirtazapine taper monthly 25 20 15 11 8 4 2.5 mg
2013-12 Holding M at 2.5. Need to taper Zopiclone due to daytime nausea and vomiting. Taper zopiclone 1/4 red every 5 d. Last Z 2013-12-19
2013-12-31 M:2.5. Reinstated Zopiclone 3.75 due to Insomnia
2014-01-06 M:2.5. Taper Z 1.9 ... 2014-01-14 M:2.5. Z 1 mg.
Jumped of Zopiclone 01-20. Jumped mirtazapine 02-16.

Theralene: 10mg 02-09. 8mg 03-09. 5mg 03-15. 4mg 03-24. 3mg 04-08. Jumped 04-21.
Zopiclone free for 251 days. Mirtazapine free for 224 days.

• Moderator Emeritus

I looked at l'argenine after reading this and found hundreds, all for body building.

I do need to build up stamina but the only 6 pack I want is water in the fridge  :lol:

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• 1 year later...

Just ordered myself some l-arginine and l-lysine, hoping this combo will at least help take the edge of my anxiety/insomnia.

MEDS HISTORY

2004 hospitalized for acute alcohol induced psychosis and started on my psych drug merry-go-round.2004-2006 SSRI > SNRI Merry-go-round finally settled on Effexor. Also was started on Risperdal in 2004 but switched to seroquell after I had a bad reaction to it.2008. Was switched from Effexor to pristiq, Also managed to successfully Quit Seroquel Cold Turkey.Asenapine- 5mg- August 2014 ~ May 2015. Was put on for Social Anxiety, was great at first then started developing disabling side effects, did a rapid taper and so started my withdrawal nightmare...

MEDS CURRENT

Pristiq-100mg ~ Currently holding

Olanzapine- 3.75mg May 2015 ~ Currently tapering by -.06mg per week (Jan 2016, 3.5mg  ~Feb 2016 intractable insomnia updose to 3.75mg)

Quetiapine- 50mg June 2015  ~Dec 25 2015 Quit cold turkey. ~(Feb 6 2016 hit with intractable insomnia - reinstated 50mg.)

August 2016 : Became destabilised after messing around with cutting doses, trying THC oil etc eventually stabilised,

Held doses for 5 years.

January 2022: Hit poop out, struggling to get more than 3 hours sleep, been one week straight of pure hell, praying to hold on. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have been taking some l-arginine before bedtime to help sleep, at the recommendation of my doctor -- and it seems to be effective!  In the body, it helps produce nitric oxide...

The scientific paper that was posted here claims that an increase in nitric oxide during withdrawal is a bad thing. Is this correct or am I misinterpreting it?

Harvey, 2003 Neurobiology of antidepressant withdrawal:

Increasing evidence supports an association between depressive illness and disturbances in brain glutamate activity, nitric oxide synthesis, and gamma-amino butyric acid. Preclinical models link this potentially neurodegenerative pathology to continued stress-evoked synaptic remodeling, driven primarily by the release of glucocorticoids, glutamate, and nitric oxide.

2012 - Prozac (wasn't helping, made me too sleepy)

2014 - Effexor XR (adverse reaction)

2014/2015 - Cymbalta (gives me brain zaps WHILE on it)

• Administrator

The supplement that goes into your mouth is not necessarily the substance that gets into your brain (if anything gets there at all).

This is why reactions to supplements cannot be predicted. With arginine, as with everything else, it's "try it at a low dose and see."

The supplement that goes into your mouth is not necessarily the substance that gets into your brain (if anything gets there at all).

This is why reactions to supplements cannot be predicted. With arginine, as with everything else, it's "try it at a low dose and see."

Ah, I see. Makes sense!

2012 - Prozac (wasn't helping, made me too sleepy)

2014 - Effexor XR (adverse reaction)

2014/2015 - Cymbalta (gives me brain zaps WHILE on it)

glad it works for you. I have other uses for it but I rarely use it anymore.

trintellix 1 mg and rexulti .5mg

• 1 year later...
On 2/24/2012 at 2:35 PM, kerrip said:

Has anyone tried combining arginine and lysine to lower cortisol?

Oral treatment with L-lysine and L-arginine reduces anxiety and basal cortisol levels in healthy humans.

Dietary supplementation with an essential amino acid L-lysine has been shown to reduce chronic anxiety in humans with low dietary intake of L-lysine. A combination of L-lysine and L-arginine has been documented to normalize hormonal stress responses in humans with high trait anxiety. The present study was carried out in one hundred eight healthy Japanese adults. The aim of study was to find out whether a week-long oral treatment with L-lysine (2.64 g per day) and L-arginine (2.64 g per day) reduces trait and stress-induced state anxiety and basal levels of stress hormones. We confirmed that, without regard to gender, the amino acid treatment significantly reduced both trait anxiety and state anxiety induced by cognitive stress battery. In addition, we found that the treatment with L-lysine and L-arginine decreased the basal levels of salivary cortisol and chromogranin-A (a salivary marker of the sympatho-adrenal system) in male subjects. These results of this double-blind, placebo controlled and randomized study confirm the previous findings in humans and animals and point to a combination of L-lysine and L-arginine as a potentially useful dietary intervention in otherwise healthy humans with high subjective levels of mental stress and anxiety.

Hi so I'm willing to try L Arginine and this L Lysine like you suggested. How much is the dosage for someone who's never taking before? 

Sherina 

In 2015- had UTI put on Microbid. Stopped sleeping & had a nervous breakdown! Was put on Seroquil, Trazadone, Klonopin, just to name a few! Got off all drugs except Celexa until May of 2018. 

Update as of 1/19- reinstated Celexa 20mg. Drinking wine nightly along with a slew of meds/supplements to try and get to sleep. 

On 3/25/2011 at 3:39 PM, Altostrata said:

I have been taking some l-arginine before bedtime to help sleep, at the recommendation of my doctor -- and it seems to be effective!

He said there was some evidence l-arginine increases the restorative quality of stage I non-REM sleep, increasing the production of growth factor (IGF), which in turn repairs cells all over the body and stimulates neurogenesis. Which is a good thing.

Stage I non-REM sleep is the first batch of sleep you get at night, usually with no dreams. L-arginine is an amino acid present in plant and animal proteins https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Arginine#cite_note-3. In the body, it helps produce nitric oxide, which causes blood vessel relaxation (vasodilation), and stimulates the production of protein http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/l-arginine/NS_patient-arginine

I'm also taking the My-B-Tab supplement (manufactured by Legere, get it at myvillagegreen.com) containing 25mg adenosine monophosphate (AMP), a sleep signal for the brain. This works with the l-arginine. Nitric oxide in the bloodstream is another sleep signal.

He suggested I start with 100mg before bed but all I could find was 500mg capsules -- very inexpensive, too. I opened up a capsule and put about a quarter of it in my whey protein drink. There weren't any problems with that -- it wasn't doing any harm, anyway -- so I increased to a half-capsule, 250mg. After a few nights, that seemed to be okay, so I increased to 500mg. Well, at 500mg, the sleepiness is too intense, I get a paradoxical effect. I'm going back down to 250mg at bedtime.

Since the l-arginine experiment seemed to be going well, my doctor suggested taking an additional 250mg in the middle of the night. This seems to work, too, sending me back to dreamland for an hour or two.

L-arginine doesn't seem to have any bad effects so far. Studies on it (see http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/l-arginine/NS_patient-arginine/DSECTION=evidence)have used daily doses of 0.5-16 grams.

Because nitric oxide relaxes blood vessels and reduces blood pressure, l-arginine may be helpful for migraines, circulation problems, Raynaud's phenomenon, and erectile dysfunction (!).

Of special note, it seems to be helpful for autonomic dysfunction (J Neurol. 2001 Dec;248(12):1036-41. Cardiovascular and neurohormonal responses to i. v. l-arginine in two groups with primary autonomic failure. Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12013579),lowering blood pressure and heart rate. See below: The effects of oral arginine on neuroautonomic parameters in healthy subjects. Lechin F, van der Dijs B, Baez S, Hernandez-Adrian G, Orozco B, Rodriguez S. J Appl Res 2006; 6(3): 201-213. Full text at http://www.jarcet.com/articles/Vol6Iss3/10Lechin.pdf

Of the studies of l-arginine on sleep, one is J Mol Neurosci. 2003;21(1):57-63. Plasma levels of nitric oxide and L-arginine in sleep apnea patients: effects of nCPAP treatment. Lavie L, Hefetz A, Luboshitzky R, Lavie P. Full text at http://www.rbolen.com/biosem/articles/fall_06/kai_research.pdf .

It may not be good for you if you have low blood pressure or other conditions, see http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/l-arginine/NS_patient-arginine/DSECTION=safety

So should I take 100mg to start?

In 2015- had UTI put on Microbid. Stopped sleeping & had a nervous breakdown! Was put on Seroquil, Trazadone, Klonopin, just to name a few! Got off all drugs except Celexa until May of 2018. 

Update as of 1/19- reinstated Celexa 20mg. Drinking wine nightly along with a slew of meds/supplements to try and get to sleep. 

• 7 months later...
  • Administrator

Hello, jesus. Please read this topic from the beginning. 

Please start a topic for yourself in the Introductions forum, so we can get to know you.

• 7 months later...

Interesting. I've been taking L-Citrullin in the morning for blood pressure. It is actually better at rising arginine levels in a sustained way, than taking arginine. My blood pressure in the morning is usually around 130. Anyways maybe I should take it, in a smaller dose at night too.

Cypralex (20mg) 3 years, Wellbutrin 3 years. Mind-altering-pharmaceutical-drug free since 2014.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I tried taking l-arginine and glycine for sleep yesterday.  I meant to take it an hour before bedtime, but was so alert and wide awake I ended up not going to bed until 10:30, which was about 1.5 hours after I took it.  I ended up taking about 1/6 to 1/5 of a capsule of l-arnithine which was probably too much.  I don't know how to measure a tiny amount to equal 25 mg of arginine, which is what I believe this thread recommends. I also took 500 mg glycine per recommendation. I did not notice any difference.  It still took about 2 hours to fall asleep.  However, on a positive note, even though I woke up a couple hours later drenched in sweat due to hot flash/night sweat, I did go right back to sleep afterwards.  My cat woke my up at 6 am making noise.  

Any advice on how to measure very small amounts of l-arginine powder?  I tried dissolving some in warm water, but it just clumps up and floats to the surface.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• Moderator Emeritus

Fold a small piece of stiff paper in half backwards and forwards a couple of times so that it will lay flat.  Lay the paper flat and empty the capsule into the middle of the paper.  Then carefully pick up the paper and fold it partially closed so that the powder is along the fold (you might have to tap the outside of the paper to dislodge/distribute the powder evenly).  Carefully lay the paper flat and use a flat blade (knife edge) to move the required about of powder aside.

Or, like the druggies do, use a mirror or piece of glass and a razor blade to make a "line" which you can then divide up.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 3 months later...

I realize this is a very old thread, and hopefully everyone here in 2012 is worlds better without needing arginine for sleep. But can you suggest a reputable brand? Supplements weird me out. Thanks.

2005-2009 Various ADs and maybe some random Ativan, nothing long-term

2009 Started Celexa 10 mg

2012 Symptoms of depression worsened when I quit drinking, started a course of Viibryd (10 mg), Buspar (5 mg), Xanax

2013 Hospitalized, added Lamictal in the hospital (quit Lamictal cold turkey in 2014)

2014 Switched back to Celexa from Viibryd

2015 Quit Buspar cold turkey

2016 Cut down to 5 mg of Celexa (all seemingly without issues)

June-August 2017 tapered off Celexa

October 2017 Hospitalized for insomnia (quit sleeping entirely)

reinstated w/ Trintellix 5mg (stopped in 1/18) and 7.5 mg of Mirtazapine

Mirtazapine (in mgs) 2/18 5,  6/19 3.5, 9/25/19 3.2, 2/24/20 2.9, 3/2020 2.85, 6/20/20 2.5, 10/3/20 2.3, 11/30/20 2.1, 1/1/21 1.95 3/19/21 1.86 9/1/21 1.65 11/30 1.5 mgs 3/1/22 1.41 mgs 6/28/22 1.37 mgs 10/22 1.20 mgs

Daily supplements: 470 mgs magnesium, Miralax, 640 Omega complex, probiotic, testosterone 2 gms, progesterone 12.5 mgs

• 6 months later...

Warning to people with migraines: I was taking arginine and realized it's a very strong migraine trigger for me. It makes sense, NO and vasodialation can cause migraines. It was quite a while ago (more than a year? two? ) so I don't remember the exact dosage, probably on the pretty high end (500 mg maybe), and my blood pressure is already on the low end. It took me about a month to figure out what was causing the migraines.

2018/7 Started on lamotrigine (12.5 mg) and escitalopram (2.5 mg). Tapered up over the course of a month to 50 mg LTG, 10 mg escit. Kept tapering LTG up to 75 mg by 2018/10. 2018/11 Crosstapered from escitalopram to sertraline. 2018/12 Was still taking both SSRIs (escit. 5 mg, sert. 25 mg) when sert. was discontinued to trial quetiapine. Quet. tapered up to 25 mg, but tapered back down after 3 days on the full dose because side effects. Total time on quetiapine 10 days. Switched back to cross tapering esit. and sert., started tapering LTG up to 100 mg.

2019/1 Lamotrigine 100 mg, sertraline 12.5 mg, escitalopram 5 mg. Finally discontinued escit. and on full dosage of sertraline (25 mg) 2019/04.

2019/11 About two weeks of sertraline 12.5 mg, but went back up to 25 mg.
2019/12/4 Lamotrigine taper: too fast, down to 25 mg over the course of about 10 days. Also started increase sertraline 37.5 mg during luteal phase of menstrual cycle for PMDD.

2020/(early) on 22 mg lamotrigine for a while, maybe a month and a half, maybe longer, then 2020/03 Institutionalized for self harm. I think I was trying to taper the sertraline at the time, don't remember the details. Doses increased: Sertraline 50 mg/lamotrigine 25 mg (current regimen). Supposed to be taking seroquel and abilify (TWO antipsychotics?!) but didn't take any once I was discharged from the institution. (Was on them a few days.)
2001(?) Citalopram, don't remember dosage, cold turkey after a couple months and had terrible withdrawals, including what in retrospect was probably PAWS for the next five or so years. (agoraphobia, crippling social anxiety, anhedonia, dp/dr).

• 9 months later...

Hey all,

Search here shows very little about this neurotransmitter that I've found helpful so far, so I thought I'd share my experiences with agmatine.  I thought to try it due to constant suicidal depression -- and it seems to have helped, though it's difficult to be completely sure that I'm not just in a window.  I haven't been stable since my whole ordeal began 20 months ago, likely because I'm going through kundalini syndrome and SSRI "withdrawal" at the same time.

Many seem to use it for reducing tolerance to, easing withdrawal from, and tapering various substance (opiates, stimulants, alcohol, benzos?) This gives me hope that maybe it has a "reset"-type effect on the brain that can help a brain going through antidepressant "withdrawal" return to normal.  It also limits glutamate's activity and I know glutamate is theorized to be a major player in antidepressant discontinuation syndrome.  Agmatine is found to be in low concentrations in those with major depression and autism (I have both of these).  

I originally saw posts on reddit about it helping quite a few people with their depression, though doses they suggest tend to be around 2g/day.  I started low, and was only able to get up to 700 or so mg in a day before it seemed that the higher doses were increasing my anxiety.  I may try again at some point, since it could have been just my instability causing anxiety that day.  I do know, though, that sources say it decreases norepinephrine in lower doses while increasing it in higher doses.

I've been taking it around 20 days, and I've settled to around 50-100mg a day, taken in the morning.  Taking more later in the day may have made it harder for me to fall sleep.  Again, I can't be sure.

At times when it kicks in I can feel a bit of a relaxing buzz for a short while (endorphins?)  I have noticed a decrease in suicidal thoughts and negative intrusive looping thoughts since starting.  It does seem to dampen anxiety symptoms too.

Anyway, if you're desperate, this stuff might be worth looking into

1997-2019 Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Celexa, Effexor, Serzone, Wellbutrin, Amitryptiline, Mirtazapine, Lexapro (mostly, 10-20mg)

Jan 16-Feb 2019 Fast tapered Lexapro after spontaneous kundalini syndrome 

Feb-Jul Used various herbs to deal with severe anxiety (bacopa, gotu kola)

Sept 2019 Developed histamine intolerance and daily panic

Currently taking high DHA fish oil, magnesium.  Occasionally l-ornithine, l-lysine, l-glycine, melatonin for sleep.  Dayvigo for sleep, and l-thp or seroquel (haven't settled on dose) for sleep when in sleep deprivation crisis

• ChessieCat changed the title to Agmatine sulfate / asguanidine
  • Moderator Emeritus

I found a little bit about it here.  See posts following this one:

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Altostrata changed the title to L-arginine, agmatine, guanidine
  • Administrator

Merged similar topics.

• 11 months later...

I have been trying l arginine myself to help sleep at night too. I find that it does reduce heart palpitations and reduce night sweats so when those withdrawalsymptomsare present it really helps me. I think it helps me sleep too but I am not sure. My problem is that it lowers blood pressure and one time when I was having heart related withdrawal symptoms I fainted. I am not sure if the l arginine was part of it or if I would have fainted anyway.

???? To  early April 2021: citalopram 20mg. This was a about 12+years

April 2021: stopped taking citalopram 

6/10/2021 to 6/11/2021: started taking buspirone for anxiety . Got ringing in the ears and insomnia so I stopped

6/16/2021 reinstatement of citalopram at 10mg

8/12/2021: 4.5ml/9mg citalopram 10/11/21 4ml 11/15/21 3.5ml 12/28/2021: 3ml/6mg 1/28/2022 2.5ml/5mg  2mL/4mg 3/6/2022 1.5ml/3mg 4/12/2022  5/31/2022 1ml/2mg  7/31/2022 .5ml/1mg

9/3/2022: .4ml/.8mg citalopram. after a few days got some severe withdrawal so  .45ml/.9mg 9/8/2022 10/6/2022 1mg again .45ml/.9mg 12/9/2022

• Moderator Emeritus

I tried this 2.5 years ago.  I'm going to try it again, on those nights when I have early morning awakenings from the cortisol spike, along with L-Lysine, to calm me and help me go back to sleep.  I'll let you all know how it goes.   

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• 7 months later...

Is it safe to take agmatine while on SSRIs?

I am still holding and tapering Valium first so it's going to be a while before I taper my AD I guess.

Can agmatine mess with serotonin levels? That would suck because too much serotonin is what caused my tinnitus (AD induced).

Prozac: 2018/05 - 20mg, 2018/07 - 40mg

Zoloft: 2018/08 - 50mg, 2018/12 - 100mg, 2020/11 - 150mg, 2021/03/16 - 125mg

Xanax/Valium: Aug/18 - 0.5mg, Sep18 - 1.5mg (2.5mg in extreme cases), Oct/18- 1.25mg, Nov/18 - 1mg,Dec/18 - 0.75mg, Xanax + 5mg Valium, Apr/19 - .5mg X + 5mg V, Jul/19 - .25mg X + 5mg V, Dec/19 - .25mg X + 2.5mg V, Jan/20 - .125mg X + 2.5mgV, Apr/20 - 2.5mg V, May/20 - 1.25mg V, May/20 (end of the month) - 1.0mg V, Jun/20 - 0.75mg V, 03/08/2020 - 0.70, 24/08/2020 - 0.60, 22/09/2020 - 0.50, 06/10/2020 - 0.40, 03/11/2020 - 0.30

30/11/2020 - 1.25mg of V (Updose due to being unable to work)

Feb/21 - 2.5mg of V

• 1 year later...

Of those who have had success with arginine, can you please tell me which brand you used? There are many brands, and we all know that there are some poor quality ones that don't work. Thanks.

In 2008 I was 16 years old. 2008 - 2010 paxil, clonazepam & semisodium valproate. 2013 - 2017 many psych meds with cold switches and CT's prescribed by psychiatrists.

Nov/30/17 started quetiapine IR tablets 100mg 0-0-1. Dec/1/17 started pristiq 50mg tablets 1-0-0. Jan/14/18 started 1.5mg melatonin 0-0-1

Tramadol: 2 year well done (slow and gradual) taper: from Mar/12/18 to Feb/11/20 

Pristiq taper: Jun/15/20 Converted from pristiq 50mg to efexor xr 75mg for 57 days (felt good).  Aug/11/20 weaned to efexor 37.5mg and stayed there for 2 months with 26 days (felt good). Nov/6/20  CT 0mg of efexor xr (felt good). Total time in tapering pristiq 50mg by converting to efexor xr 75mg: 4 months with 22 days: Jun/15/20 to Nov/6/20. (felt good)

Efexor 0mg and quetiapine 100mg (Nov/6/20 to Dic/11/20) (felt good being without effexor and taking 100mg quetiapine)

Dic/11/20 quetiapine 75mg, so 75mg from Dic/11/20 to Jan/4/21  25 days. Jan/5/21 quetiapine 50mg (1 day in 50mg).

Jan/6/21 1st CT of quetiapine. Mar/1/21 CT melatonin. Felt terrible so Mar/25/21 reinstated 100mg quetiapine. 

100mg quetiapine 19 days (Mar/25/21 - Apr/13/21) Felt good while in quetiapine 100mg. 75mg quetiapine 55 days (Apr/14/21 - Jun/8/21) the 55th day (Jun/8/21)  felt hellish so CT'd quetiapine for a 2nd time on Jun/9/21. 

Jun/9/21 - Nov/16/21 1st days insomnia, anxiety, took cbd and felt very good many days (healed insomnia & anxiety), CT'd ginkgo which made me felt terrible so reinstated ginkgo. Started intolerable back pain (spasm) so tried other herbs along with cbd, then started derealization, panic, indecisiveness, nostalgia & others. Stopped taking cbd & herbs, reinstated quetiapine 75mg Nov/17/21, immediately after taking it, had severe heart palpitations, so Nov/18/21 back to cbd (no quetiapine). Nov/20/21 reinstated 75mg quetiapine (stopped cbd & herbs), severely couldn't breathe for 5 seconds after taking quetiapine 75mg so reduced to 50 mg on Nov/28/21 had new and worse and very severe adverse effects, got indecisive if CT or keep taking quetiapine because I was terrified of CT, but since the new severe adverse effects were very severe I CT, and because of indecisiveness and panic to CT, I reinstated again, then CT'd and reinstated many times, last time I was taking quetiapine it was 25mg and had severe TD, hellish anhedonia, suicidal, intrusive thoughts of imagining myself running into a wall and crashing into it and I was feeling the pain as if I was doing it in real life, involuntary thoughts of punching my face or head and shashing it against the wall and some times I did punch my face, and when I didn't, I also felt the pain just by imagining it, so definitive CT on Jul/15/22. 

Free from quetiapine and psych meds since Jul/15/22.

MY BEST ADVICE: FOLLOW SA'S GUIDELINES, DON'T CT BECAUSE IT IS HORRIFIC AND BE PATIENT TO WAIT A LONG TIME TO DO VERY SLOW AND GRADUAL TAPERS IN ORDER TO GET OFF OF YOUR MEDICATIONS, IT IS WORTH IT. THE ONLY MOMENTS WHERE IS RIGHT TO CT IS AFTER YOUR 1ST CT THAT YOU DID BECAUSE OF IGNORANCE OR IMPATIENCE, IF YOU REINSTATE AND FEEL SEVERE ADVERSE EFFECTS LIKE TD, ANHEDONIA, FEEL LIKE YOU ARE DROWNING, OR THE ONE'S I HAD, IT IS BEST TO CT IN MY EXPERIENCE, BECAUSE WHEN I REINSTATED I GOT MUCH WORSE THAN WHEN I WAS IN THE PREVIOUS CT. I'm not a doctor.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy