SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Blanket: Lexapro to prozac in wonky failed bridge

Blanket

Hi there, I guess I'm just looking for support in knowing that things will get better. Also wondering if people think it is withdrawal I'm experiencing.

Tried to taper lexapro from 20mg to 10mg over a period of four months. Went in 2.5mg increments with at least 3-4 weeks between each drop. Withdrawal symptoms were mild, peaking at about two weeks after the drop. Most symptoms were mental (tailspins of anxiety about being fired or my boyfriend leaving when there was no evidence of either). Then, after the 12.5 to 10mg drop I totally crashed--worst anxiety I've had in years, and unlike anything I ever had. Vomitting, diarrhea...awful. I rapidly began reinstating, going to 12.5 for 4 days, then 15 for 4 days, then 17.5 for four days until I could see a psychiatrist. The symptoms dramatically improved but were still there. Saw the doctor, and she added 10mg Prozac. It helped immensely. I felt 95% normal. Then we tried a cross-taper, upping the Prozac to 20 and dropping the lexpro over a short period (I think a week). I was ok for a few days and thought we were in the clear so we startwd 75mg Wellbutrin, but then had more waves of anxiety and thoughts of self harm, so upped the Prozac to 40mg for a week, then dropped to 30 for a week, and was supposed to drop to 20 but couldn't. Had horrible crying spells, thoughts of self harm, etc. bumped back up to 40 and have been there a week.

Obviously the Wellbutrin addition was a mistake, but I think we thought I was in the clear from wothdrawal, and the idea was I would switch from Prozac to Wellbutrin. I wanted off lexapro (and onto Wellbutrin) because of slow and steady weight gain and had been on it for 8 years. I have a diagnosis of bipolar 2 and also take 100mg of lamictal. Used to take lithium and topamax too, but a lot of lifestyle changes have helped me get off those.

I quit caffeine and smoking marijuana, and I'm limiting alcohol to a couple drinks once a week. I'm on fish oil and magnesium. Just wondering what else I can be doing. Still having lots of anxiety and feeling like my head is too big for my body, and occasionally like it is buzzing. I have lorazepam to take when the anxiety is out of control. Is this withdrawal from lexapro combined with start up of Prozac?

One month later I'm still having withdrawal symptoms and have upped the Prozac to 40mg to try to counteract it.

**always on 100mg lamictal and 360 verapamil (migraines)

3/2006 lexapro 10mg, 1/2013 lexapro 20mg. 3/23/15 lexapro 17.5mg

4/2015 lexapro 15mg 5/2015 lexapro 12.5mg. 6/30/2015 lexapro 10mg; horrible withdrawal, so 7/16 lexapro 12.5mg, 7/20 lexapro 15mg, 7/24 lexapro 17.5mg

7/31 added 10mg Prozac to 17.5 lex

8/7 Prozac to 20mg, lexapro to 10mg

8/11 Prozac to 40mg, lexapro to 5mg

8/12 no lexapro (Prozac at 40mg)

8/13 Prozac to 20mg

8/16 Prozac to 40mg

8/18 Wellbutrin 75mg added

8/23 Prozac to 30mg, Wellbutrin 75mg

9/5 Prozac to 40mg, Wellbutrin 75mg

Sorry, the last sentence doesn't need to be there-- was doing this on my phone. Although yes, it is true, it's been a month off lexapro and I'm still having problems.

4/2015 lexapro 15mg 5/2015 lexapro 12.5mg. 6/30/2015 lexapro 10mg; horrible withdrawal, so 7/16 lexapro 12.5mg, 7/20 lexapro 15mg, 7/24 lexapro 17.5mg

8/13 Prozac to 20mg

8/16 Prozac to 40mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Blanket ,  welcome to the site.

The symptoms you're having could be from both w/d from Lexapro and starting/increasing Prozac (that's the short answer).

Try reading  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

And this http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1463-the-prozac-switch-or-bridging-with-prozac/?p=13616

Please have a go at putting your drug situation in your signature , there are instruction for how to do it on a phone here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Best wishes ,  Fresh

Edited by Petunia
fixed link

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Administrator

Welcome, Blanket.

Are you still taking Wellbutrin? Wellbutrin can cause anxiety, jumpiness, and sleeplessness.

It's hard to tell what's going on. First, you had withdrawal symptoms from Lexapro. It does not look like the switch from Lexapro to Prozac went smoothly. Then Wellbutrin was added.

Those were a lot of changes in a short time to a nervous system already sensitized by withdrawal. See The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

On top of withdrawal syndrome from Lexapro and perhaps an adverse reaction to Wellbutrin, It's also possible you also are having an adverse reaction to a dose of Prozac that's too high.

This is a site for going off drugs. If your goal is to switch to Wellbutrin, we can't do much to help you there.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Blanket,

I'm sorry about everything you are going through. It sounds like you tapered off Lexapro too fast and withdrawal symptoms caught up with you over time. Going back up to a higher dose probably would have worked if you had given it a bit more time, it can take a while to stabilize after a dose change.

We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising. Please read through this which will explain why:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Its hard to say what your current symptoms are being caused by. You have had so many drug changes recently, your nervous system could be in turmoil from a combination of several things - withdrawal from Lexapro, stopping and starting Wellbutrin, changing to Prozac, jumping around in dose and/or being on the wrong dose.

If you would fill in your signature, as Fresh suggested, that would help, include some dates, so we know when you made the changes.

A week is not long enough to stabilize on any dose and jumping around, changing doses every week is going to further destabilize your nervous system.

How are you feeling now on 40mg? If you are feeling worse, it may be too much for you.

Please read through    The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

It looks like I was typing at the same time Alto was :)

I'd highly recommend reading Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker. Psych meds can cause harmful side effects and long term, they can worsen health, increasing the risk of other illnesses. In my opinion they  should only be used for short times and very cautiously, if at all.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you all so much for you replies; this website is amazing and the links you sent have been really helpful. I only wish I had known this before I started going downhill!

I added a signature and in writing it I can see just how crazy all these (doctor recommended) changes were. Some more info that didn't fit in my signature: Diagnosed bp 2 and anxiety disorder 2005 (age 15), started lamictal. Over the next two years added lithium, lexapro, topamax, adderall, with Ativan and ambien as needed. In January 2013 I made lifestyle changes and life circumstance changes, so I began slowly weaning off lithium, topamax, adderall, with a plan to get off lexapro then lamictal and be drug free. It went really well until lexapro.

Regarding Wellbutrin... I would like to get off meds, and that was what I was working toward. It was my psychiatrist who suggested if I didn't like how I felt of lexapro I add in a low dose of Wellbutrin. She seemed to think it would be easier to wean off that, and it worked really well for members of my family (they were able to quit WellB without side effects and are now med free). Last month when all hell broke lose I was willing to try anything to feel better--including starting more meds-- just to get to a stable point so I could try reducing again the right way.

After reading all you have sent me I can see that I have really really confused my nervous system. Do you think I should just hold out on this drug combo for at least a month to stabilize, and then start a much slower weaning schedule (with Wellbutrin first)? My other idea would be to start dropping Wellbutrin sooner rather than later just because I do think it has contributed to my anxiety and to increased thoughts of self-harm, and it might be easier to get off it after three weeks than months....

This has been a really sobering experience. Thank you so much for taking time to read and reply to this. Reading all this information has already helped me understand so much.

8/13 Prozac to 20mg

8/16 Prozac to 40mg

• Administrator

Are you taking only Wellbutrin and Prozac now?

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and copy and paste the results in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Right now I'm taking 100mg lamictal, 40mg Prozac, 75mg Wellbutrin, and 360mg verapamil (prophalaxysis for migraine).

Major

bupropion fluoxetine

Applies to: Wellbutrin (bupropion), Prozac (fluoxetine)

Talk to your doctor before using buPROPion together with FLUoxetine. Combining these medications may increase the risk of seizures, which may occur rarely with either medication. In addition, buPROPion can increase the blood levels of FLUoxetine, which may increase other side effects. You may be more likely to experience seizures with these medications if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous system such as a brain tumor or head trauma. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol during treatment. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

verapamil bupropion

Applies to: verapamil, Wellbutrin (bupropion)

Verapamil and buPROPion may have additive effects in lowering your blood pressure. You may experience headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or changes in pulse or heart rate. These side effects are most likely to be seen at the beginning of treatment, following a dose increase, or when treatment is restarted after an interruption. Let your doctor know if you develop these symptoms and they do not go away after a few days or they become troublesome. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you, and use caution when getting up from a sitting or lying position. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your

Moderate

verapamil fluoxetine

Applies to: verapamil, Prozac (fluoxetine)

FLUoxetine may increase the blood levels and effects of verapamil. You may be more likely to experience serious side effects such as irregular heart rhythm, fluid retention, swelling, heart failure, and excessively low blood pressure. You may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. You should seek medical attention if you develop dizziness or fainting; sudden, unexplained weight gain; swelling of the hands, ankles, or feet; chest pain; or difficulty breathing during treatment with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you, and use caution when getting up from a sitting or lying position. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Moderate

fluoxetine lamotrigine

Applies to: Prozac (fluoxetine), Lamictal (lamotrigine)

Using FLUoxetine together with lamoTRIgine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

8/13 Prozac to 20mg

8/16 Prozac to 40mg

• Moderator Emeritus

What symptoms are you having now?

Do you feel better now than when you 'crashed' during your Lexapro taper? Do you feel like your symptoms are slowly improving, getting worse or staying about the same.

If you are not getting worse, if I were in your situation I would take some time to try and stabilize where you are for a month or two and then begin a taper off Wellbutrin first and then Prozac. That will eliminate the potential interactions. But if you feel like Wellbutrin is making symptoms worse and increasing anxiety, then starting a taper now might be a better option.

Please would you add the other drugs you are taking to you signature.

Tips for tapering off Wellbutrin, SR, XR, XL (buproprion)

Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi Petunia,

My main symptoms now are anxiety, some crying spells, intrusive thoughts of suicide and self harm, and a sort of buzzing sensation in my head. I think the Wellbutrin is causing some of the agitation and anxiety, but I am hesitant to start going off of it and further destabilize.

I am definitely better than I was when I crashed, though I think maybe some of that has to do with knowing what's going on and trusting that a window will follow a particularly bad wave. I would say the general trend is toward getting better.

8/13 Prozac to 20mg

8/16 Prozac to 40mg

• Administrator

Do you take Prozac and Wellbutrin together? You can see if you're having adverse effects from Wellbutrin by separating them by a couple of hours.

Please keep notes on paper about your daily symptom pattern relative to when you take your drugs.

I have lots of thoughts about "bipolar" and ADs as an AD brought me to a bipolar diagnosis. I won't lay them all on you right now :). But I will say early on in the tapering process the website psycheducation.org was a big help to me. The author is a traditional pdoc who strongly believes ADs are unhelpful for most people with "bipolar."

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Altostrata,

I do take them together and I tried your experiment this morning. Felt great after just taking the Prozac--best I've felt in two weeks according to my notes. Just took the Wellbutrin so I'll see what happens. I also texted my psychiatrist asking for an earlier appointment to talk about weaning off Wellbutrin. Even if I wait a month to do so, it would be nice to know that is the plan.

Thanks for your help.

8/13 Prozac to 20mg

8/16 Prozac to 40mg

Meimeiquest,

Thank you for the website. I spent about a half hour on it last night, and it is both interesting and scary (since I've been on antidepressants so long). I will say that I think I am pretty darn bipolar on the spectrum (onset age 15, true hypomania before antidepressants, strong response to lithium, extensive family history). The last few months have been so overwhelming with the sheer amount of often conflicting information out there.

8/13 Prozac to 20mg

8/16 Prozac to 40mg

• Administrator

You're a lot older than 15 now, right? It could be that you were misdiagnosed then -- teens go through a lot of hormone changes and strange behavior -- and "bipolar" does not apply to you now. A response to lithium or anything else is not diagnostic.

"Bipolar" is vastly overdiagnosed, particularly in children.

Either way, an activating combination of Prozac and Wellbutrin does not seem appropriate.

It could be the interaction between the two drugs has been causing anxiety etc., or that you are recovering from the switch to Prozac.

My hopefully last psychiatrist said this to me: It's hard to know if you have bipolar disorder, because we don't even know what it is. I have found it much more helpful to look at managing symptoms and root causes rather than treating a label that really gives no insight. And Alto is right...lots of teenagers act like they have hypomania...I can say that since I have two right now. :). You don't need to be afraid, but you do need to come off very cautiously (slowly) since you started psychoactive drugs as a teenager.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Things have further deteriorated, a few good days and then some really bad days, at this point I think it might be re emerging symptoms that I would much rather have controlled with a mood stabilizer than an anti-d. I want off these SSRIs. I voiced this to my pdoc and she said we can back off the Prozac. Will I likely experience withdrawal symptoms from Prozac since I had them with lexapro? Do you recommend the 10% taper schedule even if I've only been on 40mg for 12 days?

8/13 Prozac to 20mg

8/16 Prozac to 40mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hang in there Blanket.  

Re:   "Do you recommend the 10% taper schedule even if I've only been on 40mg for 12 days?"

Hopefully someone more experienced will be able to advise on a fast taper.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Administrator

What are your symptoms and what is their daily pattern?