marie123

marie123: tapering trazodone

hezzer78

@marie123 I'm also tapering off Mirt. My doc said if the sleep issues get really bad, he can rx me Trazodone, but I'm thinking I'm going to pass on adding another drug to the mix. I'm already taking ativan to get me through the rough nights (which has been every one the past 4 :( )  I'm really hoping my sleep levels out soon and I can get some rest - I did make a big jump from 15 -> 7.5 though. I'm planning on cutting slower after I stabilize here.

How  much are you going to taper down with the liquid?

marie123

Hello hezzer.

I first will transition to liquid by taking half pill/half liquid every night for a week or two.

Next I will taper mega slowly, possibly 0.15 cut to start.

Hold for a month and see how well I do. Continue to cut 0.15 monthly. I am sensitive so I need to go slow.

I will try hard not to go too fast because It's hard to get back on track once you've over tapered.

Do not start traz. It has plenty of side effects which will make you feel sick and the sleep is not that great from it. It was very difficult for me taper it.

Mirt gives better sleep but has it's own problems for sure.

It seems mirt is stronger than traz so I have to carefully taper.

I am retired so if I don't sleep well it's not a big deal.

I can nap now without it feeling toxic.

You cut to 7.5 from 15? I could never do that.

I wish you luck with your tapering, you'll get there.

Polydrugging sucks for sure. Marie.

marie123

Hello everyone. I am doing well. I feel better and better the farther away from trazodone.

It will be a year free in two weeks.

This weekend I'm going to the compound pharmacy for my two week trial of liquid mirt.

I was delayed because I got two viruses in a row after the holidays, and my furnace stopped working.

I'll take a half a pill and the rest liquid for a week or two.

I'll continue the changeover to liquid slowly by having all liquid for 2 days out of the week, then 3 the next, etc.

It should be fine.

This time I want to do withdrawal without getting into the "pit", so slow I go.

I want/need to enjoy my life while this is going on. S/O is retiring soon and we want to travel.

I have a  lot of good coping skills/tools that I can use and I've done w/d a couple of times.

I like this layout of posting since reading Hopefull's posts. Thanks Hopefull.

Wish me luck. Be well everyone. Marie.

marie123

Hi all. I started the liquid taper. I'm doing half pill half liquid for now. The first dose I took I overdosed because the pharmacist changed the concentration on me and I didn't read the bottle. So I wound up taking 1/2 pill (3.75 mg)  and about 8 mgs in liquid. I felt really out of it the next day, spaced out. I read the bottle and woops it was different that the old bottle I got in November.

There were no instructions that came with it. The pharmacist did not mention she changed the script. My bad though, I should have read it.

I figured out the amount of liquid to taper. I went to the pharmacy today to confirm my liquid amount. She confirmed my math was correct. She did at first "round up" to make my dose to about 7.60 mgs. I said I wanted it to be exact. "You're that sensitive" she exclaimed lol. I told her I was sensitive and wanted it to be exact because I did not want to find out if I wasn't so sensitive.

Again I got the blank stare. I am so sick of the blank stare. My good friend called me again to go out to breakfast. I know her for almost 30 years, so I knew she was stressing out about her medical issues and needed to talk to me. I'm a good listener and friend I believe. She called me previously when she needed a friend to talk to about her medical issues and I was there for her.

I started talking about how I am tapering a new med and have to go slow slow slow so I won't get sick. I got the blank stare. She's probably thinking I'm an anxious persion and I really don't get sick from tapering. What she does not realize is how tough mentally you have to be to do this and how sick this can make you. This is my third one. I hope to be dancing on rainbows when I'm done.

Marie.

savinggrace

Marie,

I do not trust anyone but a handful of people with my psych drug history and tapering struggles. Blank stares are common but better than the terrible things that can come out of people’s mouths when you try to explain the whole withdrawal thing to them. The few people whom I have had to share for one reason or another say stuff like “just go to rehab and get it over with” or go to AA or similar things. As far as protracted withdrawal for years, laughter and eye-rolling  is mostly what that evokes. So I suffer alone and in silence for the most part. Meanwhile everyone wonders what the heck is wrong with me. ‘Tis a lonely existence. 

Good luck Marie. I have always been pulling for you. 

Grace

marie123

Hi Grace. I did accidently find an acquaintance who became a friend as she started talking to someone about trazodone as I was standing nearby. I started explaining to her all about trazodone and she was horrified. We both got off though and it was nice to compare with each other. Unfortunately for her she is still polydrugged and taking Lyrica. Her doctor diagnosed her with fibromyalgia. She also tapered off Ambien, so similar to me. Well I did not have the heart to tell her yet (and I don't know her well enough, I don't want her mad at me) that she may in fact be in protracted withdrawal. I think I will eventually tell her.

I do hope that you are able to lower your meds so you can feel a bit better Grace.  I see you have been tapering trileptal, that's certainly a good thing.

Marie.

marie123

Hello everyone. I am in the process of switching to liquid. I'm doing it carefully because I can't do the cutting and weighing with the tiny mirt pill. I have been taking 1/2 pill and 1/2 liquid and so far it's fine. Soon will try a couple of nights in between of just liquid. I have some dental stuff that I need to take care of which I find stressful. I'm glad to have found this pharmacy. It was pure luck and the first one I called as I just had the failed mirt taper and was feeling bad and aggravated. It's a mom and pop old school type pharmacy and never busy when I've been there. This pharmacy does most of the compounding of meds in the area. You walk in, give them your pills to compound and wait a little while. Last time it was 15 minutes to have it prepared. Nice and easy which I like.

I feel pretty good lately. I'm about one year free of trazodone and in good spot to start the mirt taper. Good luck to all. Marie.

marie123

I have taken care of the dental stuff. I'm so glad because, well, who likes root canals. My endo is fabulous and sings motown songs as he's drilling lol. I pay extra out of pocket because he's worth it. Excellent work too.  I also want to finish the switch to liquid. Today I am starting to go every other day with liquid/pill for a week, then it's all liquid. I'm very pleased that I am able to tolerate the liquid. I just hope that the pharmacy all of a sudden doesn't say sorry I can't do it any more without doc's script. My backup plan is to make my own liquid. There are so many obstacles in withdrawal. I understand with the virus situation some meds may be delayed from China and India. The brand of mirt that I use is from India. Right now I have an extra 4 month supply, but I want to keep it that way. I need to supply the compound pharmacy with pills and in case my doc gets "funny" and says he can no longer prescribe. If there's a delay from India I'll ask my doc for an emergency script and get the brand local. I just have to call around until I find the right one. Doc doesn't even know I'm tapering. I'll keep it that way until I'm under a milligram and have loads of extra pills lol. I'm concerned about the virus as my immune system is lowered from the mirt. Trying to isolate more that usual. Be well everyone. Marie.

marie123

I can't seem to catch a break. I've been self isolating for 2 weeks. I haven't left the house, but I've come down with what I believe is the flu. I guess it was brought into the house by the family. I did get the flu shot in October (that was a disaster, I got very ill from it). It could be a different strain or I guess it could be Covid-19. No use trying to get tested, it's backed up and I don't fit the criteria. Luckily, I don't have problems with chest/breathing. Feel like I've been hit by a truck though and sleeping a lot. At least my bed's comfortable. Be well everyone. Marie.

marie123

I made a mistake in an earlier post about my switch to liquid. Currently I am taking 1/2 pill and the rest liquid for one day, then the next two days all liquid, then keep repeating. After I am over the virus it will be 1/2 pill liquid the rest for the first day, then liquid for three days, repeat. I'll do this for a week then completely over to liquid. I'll be in good shape at over 11 months finished with trazodone to start the taper. Marie.

marie123

Stressed by the virus.I think I had it for a few weeks. I tried to get tested but it was too difficult. I just stayed home with mild covid 19 symptoms and I'm feeling better. Had the flu shot (made me ill) so I don't think it was the flu. It felt different then the flu. My sleep has been worse because of the stress of the times we are in, but I'll keep going.

On a lighter note, when picking up my new batch of liquid mirt, I told the new pharmacist to make it just like last time. I said I was in the computer. I said again to please make it the same. He said it was fine and asked me if I wanted the chicken flavor. I barked, "no, it's for me" and he gave me the cherry one. Woof woof lol.