SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Questions loom over drugs given to sleepless vets

cinephile

I'm posting this Washington Post article in response to Patience's excellent link to the NYT story about how ineffective antipsychotics are for vets' PTSD. The article details the death of one soldier (23 years old!) due to Seroquel prescription for his PTSD-induced insomnia. Link is below.

I'm so glad word about how much veterans get trashed with the pscyh meds is getting out. Guys, if you think we have it bad, just look at what's happening to vets. I honestly think it's disgraceful how this country treats its soldiers: first they often have to buy their own body armor because it's not supplied by the military (remember Rumsfeld's classic "You go to war with the army you've got" line when soldiers rightfully complained they should be provided bullet-proof vests and not buy them themselves?), then they go to war, then they come back traumatized with PTSD, and the icing on the cake is they get pumped full of drugs like seroquel and other antipsychotics for indications like insomnia! Dare I say the Vietnam vets are starting to consider themselves lucky for not having had to deal with literally deadly pharmaceutical company corruption and the state of psychiatry as it is today.

And all many of these soldiers truly needed was someone to listen to their stories compassionately, and perhaps, like patience says, body work. But nah, the gov'ment and insurance companies ain't paying for that, which would, of course, SAVE money (and lives!) in the long-run. But when you've got quarterly profits and share-holders to look after, who's got the time (or money?) for that? :angry:

LINK: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/aug/30/questions-loom-over-drug-given-to-sleepless-vets/

Been on SSRIs since 1998:

1998-2005: Paxil in varying doses

2005-present: Lexapro.

2006-early '08: Effexor AND Lexapro! Good thing I got off the Effexor rather quickly (within a year).

**PSYCHIATRY: TAKE YOUR CHEMICAL IMBALANCE AND CHOKE ON IT!

APA=FUBAR

FDA=SNAFU

NIMH=LMFAO

Currently tapering Lexapro ~10% every month:

STARTING: 15 mg

11/7/10: 13.5 mg

12/7/10: 12.2 mg

1/6/11: 10.9 mg

2/3/11: 9.8 mg

3/3/11: 8.8 mg

4/1/11: 7.8 mg

4/29/11: 7 mg