SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

PsyGuy: SSRI withdrawal

PsyGuy

Yeah what's with all these antipsychotics?

Ok so you ditched her and got a new psychiatrist. That's my worst fear is that ill have to ditch her or shell drop me and ill have to get another. I just don't know if I can wait that long.

Good point about mentioning more of the physical symptoms, I forget about them a lot because they're secondary to what's going on upstairs.

Well thanks for the advice. Ill see what happens tomorrow.

2004-2014: Paxil & Paxil CR 25-50mg

3 Months in 2014: Zoloft 50-100mg

3 Months in 2015: Celexa 20mg

4 Months in 2015: Lexapro 20mg

October 2015 - Present:

40mg Paxil

15mg Zyprexa

900mg Gabapentin

1mg Cogentin

1mg Ativan as needed

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PsyGuy

• KT38

• KarenB

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

First time hearing others describing it as ' electricity head'. That is what I always have on my head, neck, shoulder, back! My heartbeat just shows very irregular rhythms the past week since the sever Wd started form tapering lex down to 3.2mg. I was actually thinking yesterday that it is caused by fault electricity flow/signal allover my body. The strange thing is my pulse is pretty normal and stable so it puzzles me what the hell is going on. I'm guessing all my symptoms (needling pain, firework in brain, irregular heartbeat etc,) are all caused by the electricity in chaos.

The sickness/weakness on top of pain and brain nonfunctional put me into a close to 100% disability.

You already made a huge achievement being off for this long. Things will move to the healing path soon.

Sending hugs to you,

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Yes, LexAnger that is exactly the feeling!! It is sooooo uncomfortable, I feel like I need to escape my body all day.  I am never ever comfortable.  That is why I think I have akathisia (w/out the movement).  And the anger and fury that comes out of this....it's like an energy in body trying to find a way out but it's trapped!  It scares me.  And yup, I have the normal heartrate with it all, too! Crazy!  PsyGuy, good luck tomorrow and let us know what happens.  If this Dr. does not know this is withdrawal or thinks it only lasts 2 weeks DITCH HER.  She is not worth your time and money. 

Dec 2014 I tried Zoloft 25mg for one week (adverse reaction - extreme anxiety and felt like I was on an amphetamine). Dr. said to quit cold turkey, so I not only quit Zoloft but also 2 weeks of Xanax .25mg -- extreme dizziness, hyperarousal and anxiety began! On Jan. 29, 2015 my psychiatrist put me on new stuff and this is how my next 2 months and 7 days looked like (I was having the same bad reactions to all of these):Effexor XR 37.5mg (3 days) - throwing up, heart palpations, night tremors/convulsions or something where whole body shakes for a second, Prozac 10mg (15 days), Prozac 20mg (7 days) - internal restlessness, electric current through body/brain (not zaps), agitation, intense fear and could no longer nap at this point (still can't today because of this), Lexapro 5mg (4 days) - same as Prozac, a horror show...extreme internal agitation, Lexapro 7.5mg (2 days), Lexapro 10mg (16 days), Zoloft 12.5mg (3 days)...she said try it again since my blood relative does well on it, Zoloft 25mg (7 days) - same as before and getting worse!! Zoloft 50mg (6 days), Zoloft 25mg (4 days and then came off cold turkey on April 8, 2015). I used Xanax .25mg about 7 times per month through all of this until June 30, 2015 (my last benzo dose). Extreme anxiety, nervous system traumatized, mental akathisia, anger triggered by nothing but the brain totally going off on its own, feeling of a pressurized electric current going through me like my brain and body are trying to explode, stress reaction x10000 to everything, waking in terror lasting all day, fear, very sensitive, brain can't keep up, don't know what to do with myself, feeling like everything is going too fast and I can't keep up, helium head, deep depression like something is ripping out my soul, out of my mind, can hardly drive or be alone, cognitive issues, simple tasks are so complex and straining, feel disturbed because the brain can't process anything right even though your brain tries so hard and it makes you go mad, episodes of deep anguish with a sick toxic poison feeling (like you have some unknown virus).

Thanks Lex,

Yes, the brain zaps are incredibly weird and throws the heart rhythm off which makes things that much worse in my opinion from an anxiety and panic standpoint.

I agree KT38, the akathesia is horrible and drives a person Out of their skin. I will let you know what happens tomorrow.

Goodnight :-)

October 2015 - Present:

40mg Paxil

15mg Zyprexa

900mg Gabapentin

1mg Cogentin

1mg Ativan as needed

About the pdoc, I stopped seeing any doctor for this. No one in the whole universe can help indeed. All of us here experiencing the hell know much better than any of the doctors as they only know what they were taught which is not part of any education or general recognition. Even for ppl acknowledge it, there is no cure indeed. Another thing is even for those suffering from the same poison with similar med history etc. each individual could have unique issues thus the handling have to be different. Trial and error seems the only way for each of us, unfortunately.

Have our own minds solid, double check whatever the doctors would say.

Good luck to both of you and I'm glad we have each other for emotional support!

Hugs,

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

How did it go today PsyGuy?

Dec 2014 I tried Zoloft 25mg for one week (adverse reaction - extreme anxiety and felt like I was on an amphetamine). Dr. said to quit cold turkey, so I not only quit Zoloft but also 2 weeks of Xanax .25mg -- extreme dizziness, hyperarousal and anxiety began! On Jan. 29, 2015 my psychiatrist put me on new stuff and this is how my next 2 months and 7 days looked like (I was having the same bad reactions to all of these):Effexor XR 37.5mg (3 days) - throwing up, heart palpations, night tremors/convulsions or something where whole body shakes for a second, Prozac 10mg (15 days), Prozac 20mg (7 days) - internal restlessness, electric current through body/brain (not zaps), agitation, intense fear and could no longer nap at this point (still can't today because of this), Lexapro 5mg (4 days) - same as Prozac, a horror show...extreme internal agitation, Lexapro 7.5mg (2 days), Lexapro 10mg (16 days), Zoloft 12.5mg (3 days)...she said try it again since my blood relative does well on it, Zoloft 25mg (7 days) - same as before and getting worse!! Zoloft 50mg (6 days), Zoloft 25mg (4 days and then came off cold turkey on April 8, 2015). I used Xanax .25mg about 7 times per month through all of this until June 30, 2015 (my last benzo dose). Extreme anxiety, nervous system traumatized, mental akathisia, anger triggered by nothing but the brain totally going off on its own, feeling of a pressurized electric current going through me like my brain and body are trying to explode, stress reaction x10000 to everything, waking in terror lasting all day, fear, very sensitive, brain can't keep up, don't know what to do with myself, feeling like everything is going too fast and I can't keep up, helium head, deep depression like something is ripping out my soul, out of my mind, can hardly drive or be alone, cognitive issues, simple tasks are so complex and straining, feel disturbed because the brain can't process anything right even though your brain tries so hard and it makes you go mad, episodes of deep anguish with a sick toxic poison feeling (like you have some unknown virus).

Hi KT,

Well, it kinda went the way I thought it was going to. I told her 100% honestly my symptoms and what I'm feeling and she just brushed them off. I told her I think my withdrawal symptoms are getting worse, then she says "you're no longer in withdrawal, it's been out of your system for a few months already". As soon as she said that I knew I wasn't going to be able to convince her otherwise. I even suggested to her that I was taking the drugs for almost 11 years and even if they were "out of my system" my body still needs to adapt.

Anyways, she suggested I go on a regimine of Depakote and Wellbutrin........hahaha. I told her no way, no antipsychotics and no antidepressants I've never been on before. (all they want to do is push drugs!!!!) I convinced her that I'd like to try to go back on Paxil and see if I can stabilize for a while and then decide what to do from then.

I hate that I'm going back on a Paxil dosage right now but at this point it's coming down to my job and house.....I can't lose them right now. Maybe in time I'll try and get off them again, but at the moment I just can't.

So that's my story, I'll see how I do readjusting to Paxil and hopefully I can feel somewhat normal again.

It sucks but it's what has to happen right now.

October 2015 - Present:

40mg Paxil

15mg Zyprexa

900mg Gabapentin

1mg Cogentin

1mg Ativan as needed

Ugh stupid psychiatrist!!!!! I love that she was all about you trying 2 new drugs because "you are not in withdrawal" but didn't fight you at all when you said you will go back on Paxil.....because she knows it's withdrawal lol!!! Stupid Dr. All they want is for their patients to be on any kind of drug because otherwise she would not be making any money. I hope you get stabilized on Paxil soon and when you are ready to taper use the directions the admin lists on this site. Oh and Wellbutrin????? Hello, any good psych would know that increases anxiety!!!

Oh and this video stood out. You should send this to your psych to show her she is a moron for not recognizing what you are going through is withdrawal

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=65c8wkB3WnI

Just came across your thread . I can relate to everything expecially with work. I battled through intense withdrawal while trying to work for 5 months. It absolutely wore me out. In late February of this year I finally said enough I cant do it. Ive been off work since with no disability payments as withdrawal isnt recognized. I can say being off work has helped but I don't know when ill be able to return. My symptoms need to improve another 20% or so before I can restart my life. Im 14 months into WD and things have improved dramatically. At least 5 hardcore symptoms have disappeared for good or drastically  decreased. I wish you luck with the reinstatement.  I was way to chicken to reinstate even though I was suffering tremendously. I only figured out I was in withdrawal 7 months after stopping so at that point I wanted to try and  ride it out. The recovery stories on the site are wonderful. If you ever get down read them.  All the best 

Mort 

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

I Hi Mort81,

Wow that's an absolutely horrible story. I completely understand though, the withdrawal symptoms are brutal and going through work everyday is an absolute pain. I would stare at the clock and just watch the minutes pass by because I was/am in such agony each and everyday at work. I hope you can get back to work soon and can hang in there on a limited income/savings. I thought about it many times and I don't blame you one bit. I was at that point a few weeks ago.

I'll keep everyone posted on how my reinstatement works.

I do have another question for everyone out there though. I'm currently on 60mg Buspar and when I went to the pharmacy to get my prescription of paxil filled I asked the pharmacist if I should continue to take the Buspar while going back on the paxil (as I and my psychiatrist completely forgot I was taking the buspar.) he said he didn't know, typically he said I would stop taking the buspar and go into the Paxil.

So I called my psychiatrist and asked her about the dosages and she said to take them together 60mg buspar and 40mg Paxil.

Has anyone taken those two medications together before and what were your experiences?

October 2015 - Present:

40mg Paxil

15mg Zyprexa

900mg Gabapentin

1mg Cogentin

1mg Ativan as needed

Wouldn't that be dangerous since it could cause serotonin syndrome? This says it is a severe interaction:

http://www.rxlist.com/drug-interactions/buspirone-oral-and-paroxetine-hcl-oral-interaction.htm

buspirone oral and paroxetine hcl oral

buspirone oral and paroxetine hcl oral both increase affecting serotonin levels in the blood. Too much serotonin is a potentially life-threatening situation. Severe signs and symptoms include high blood pressure and increased heart rate that lead to shock.

I've seen that before......just another thing to get panicky about now. Great.

October 2015 - Present:

40mg Paxil

15mg Zyprexa

900mg Gabapentin

1mg Cogentin

1mg Ativan as needed

• Moderator Emeritus

Can you contact your doctor with the information from the drug interractions checker, and get him to re-evaluate in the light of that?  Or perhaps this is too much for a mere doctor.. :wacko:.  Maybe a mod will be needed for this question - you certainly don't need further mucking around. 

KarenB

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Ugh, has anyone ever taken these drugs together?

I've taken paxil and Ativan before, but now paxil is being reintroduced to my system along with 60mg Buspar.

Honestly, I'm pretty scared knowing that I'm a hypochondriac and a worrier.

Has anyone experienced symptoms of serotonin syndrome or was concerned they were headed towards it?

October 2015 - Present:

40mg Paxil

15mg Zyprexa

900mg Gabapentin

1mg Cogentin

1mg Ativan as needed

Hi everyone,

It's been about a week since I reinstated paxil and I feel very weird. I feel as if my heart is going to beat out of my chest and I'm having massive panic attacks. Has anyone felt this way after reinstating after a period of withdrawal? I'm honestly kinda scared and am worried.

October 2015 - Present:

40mg Paxil

15mg Zyprexa

900mg Gabapentin

1mg Cogentin

1mg Ativan as needed

I did, Psy. For the first few days after I reinstated, I had massive panic attacks and felt like I couldn't breathe and may pass out any second. I took a Xanax (0.25mg) the first time it happened and the panic calmed down immediately. After that (for maybe 3-4 days) I took Propanolol (10mg) and it worked. After that I learned to control it by deep breathing and distracting myself until it passed. 

I am now a bit over 2 weeks in my reinstatement and I rarely have that symptom anymore. 

Good luck and healing thoughts to you,

Karen

1999-Wellbutrin for anxiety/depression-CT after less than 1 yr with no prob

2000-2010-AD (can't remember which) a few times for a few months-CT each time with no prob

2012 - Ambien (sleep) and Propanolol (public speaking anxiety)

Jan 2013 - Apr 2014 - Sertraline (25, then 50mg) Ambien after bout with depression

Apr 2014 - Apr 2015 - Sertraline 100mg and Amitriptylene 25mg-CT in May/June. Did notice increased anxiety, moodiness.

Aug/Sept 2015 - Trazodone 50mg (11 days for sleep), Phentermine 37.5mg 11 days), Tramadol 50mg (2 days for kidney stone pain)

Oct 2nd - CT from Trazodone and Phentermine - CRASHED 2 days later. Severe depression, anxiety, constant crying

RI Oct 15th - Citalopram 10mg daily, Vitamin D, Fish Oil Capsule, Magnesium, Simply Sleep at night. Will start weaning 11/15 if stable.

Hi Karen,

I don't have any Xanax or Propranolol to take at the moment. Does it get better soon after reinstatement? I feel like in going crazy here....I'm scared.

October 2015 - Present:

40mg Paxil

15mg Zyprexa

900mg Gabapentin

1mg Cogentin

1mg Ativan as needed

Hi psyguy,

I'm so sorry about the bad reaction you are having to the reinstate!

Are you taking 40 mg Paxil? It's way to high a dose for reinstate in my opinion.

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

Psy - 

I can only speak for myself but I found that some of the anxiety after reinstatement came from the uncertainty and expectation. It is not going to resolve immediately, no...but, if you are like me, each day I started noticing a tiny bit of difference. Again, I reinstated on 10/15 and it's just the past 4 days that I haven't woken in the morning to a state of panic. 

Are you staying away from caffeine, nicotine or any other meds (even OTC)?

Try (as hard as I know this is) to not work yourself up into a panic. Are you exercising at all? I found working up a sweat would calm me down.

Karen

2000-2010-AD (can't remember which) a few times for a few months-CT each time with no prob

Jan 2013 - Apr 2014 - Sertraline (25, then 50mg) Ambien after bout with depression

Apr 2014 - Apr 2015 - Sertraline 100mg and Amitriptylene 25mg-CT in May/June. Did notice increased anxiety, moodiness.

Aug/Sept 2015 - Trazodone 50mg (11 days for sleep), Phentermine 37.5mg 11 days), Tramadol 50mg (2 days for kidney stone pain)

Oct 2nd - CT from Trazodone and Phentermine - CRASHED 2 days later. Severe depression, anxiety, constant crying

RI Oct 15th - Citalopram 10mg daily, Vitamin D, Fish Oil Capsule, Magnesium, Simply Sleep at night. Will start weaning 11/15 if stable.

Hi guys,

Yes I'm on 40mg that's why my dr told me to reinstate with. Should I be cutting them in half and titrate up? Is it too much of a dose too soon? I'm at work right now and I'm freaking out from panic. I don't know what to do.

I dammed it I go off them and I'm damned if I go back on them. Talk about a double edged sword. This is like a living hell.

October 2015 - Present:

40mg Paxil

15mg Zyprexa

900mg Gabapentin

1mg Cogentin

1mg Ativan as needed

Psy - 

From what I have read on here, it's always recommended that you RI with the lowest possible dose. Was 40mg Paxil what you were on prior to stopping? If not, that sounds like a really high dose to reinstate with? I would wait for a mod to post on your thread to recommend what to do next. Until then I would not make any changes.

Karen

I was on 40mg prior to stopping.

I have valerian root would that be ok to take in order to help calm down?

October 2015 - Present:

40mg Paxil

15mg Zyprexa

900mg Gabapentin

1mg Cogentin

1mg Ativan as needed

• Moderator Emeritus

I'd avoid valerian root.  See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/599-valerian-root/ for the info, but it can be too activating for people in withdrawal.  It's one of those paradoxical things that once in withdrawal, things that for other people may be calming, are for us activating. 

How about using some of the other ideas for calming - maybe sipping ice-water with magnesium-citrate in it.  I know it's scary when you are right in it - we've all been there, and we're here for you now too.  Is there someone in your life who could maybe come and just sit with you in the worst times? 

One of the things I do when I'm badly anxious is lie down with my legs up the wall and talk myself thru breathing - real basic ie 'in goes my breath, out goes my breath...'

Also, coughing has a calming effect on our nervous system, as does singing loudly. 

Maybe try a range of things and see what gets you through till the mods help you work out that dose - it did sound like a big reinstatement.

Sending you hugs,

KarenB

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

Thanks for the link Karen,

I didn't know it wasn't looked up kindly on here. I'll stay away from it. I also tried the ice and magnesium thing. Didn't help too much. I find that I'm much calmer and relaxed when I'm at home. When I'm at work my anxiety is through the roof and intensifies as the day goes on.

I actually cut my 40mg pill in half today so I wasn't taking the whole dose.

October 2015 - Present:

40mg Paxil

15mg Zyprexa

900mg Gabapentin

1mg Cogentin

1mg Ativan as needed

• 1 month later...

How have you been doing?

I've been better, that's for sure. Thanks for asking.

I couldn't go through the withdrawal anymore so I went back on paxil.....it didn't work so well. I kept having massive panic attacks, insomnia, agoraphobia, and just overall hell so I went to the Drs to see what could be done.

My dr wouldn't give me benzos for the attacks (I have no idea why not. I was making scenes at grocery stores, passing out and blacking out all of which I told her). So I was desperate and took her script for abilify....it kinda worked but gave me hand tremors so I stopped that. Now I'm on day 3 of zyprexa and it hits me like a ton of bricks....I take it and I'm out 20 min later. It actually feels like a chemical lobotomy the next day. No motivation, I get lost starring at things, trouble thinking, and massive cravings for carbs.

I want to get off the meds because I absolutely hate them but I was recently hospitalized for these panic attacks and my family wants me to stay on these drugs because "the Drs said so, they know what's right"

Basically I'm back at square one.......so disappointed

October 2015 - Present:

40mg Paxil

15mg Zyprexa

900mg Gabapentin

1mg Cogentin

1mg Ativan as needed

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey PsyGuy,

I'm really sorry to hear events have led you back to that place you'd worked so hard to get out from.  Little wonder you are disappointed. 

We are still here to help you, if that's what you'd like.  Perhaps you could update your signature so we can see what you are on now, and when you started it etc - just add in all the changes you've had since your last sig.note.  

Stability is what you need to be aiming for right now.  I'm a very new 'mod' so I'll leave it to the others to answer if you want thoughts on what to do next about doses etc.

Wishing you some peace today,

KarenB 

8 month hold.

I'm so sorry things are still not good.  It is all so frustrating I know!!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Psyguy ,   I've just caught up on your thread from the start.  

I'd be inclined to stop the zyprexa  ASAP.  If you continue to take it more than a few days more it you may

need to taper.

It sounds like the reinstatement of 40mg Paxil at the start of November was waaay too much for you , hence

the increased symptoms.   

If you can update your current meds , we can make a plan to get you back on the right track.  

A similar thing happened to me ,  I lasted 11 months after stopping ad's , was in hospital for 2 weeks and came out on 3 different meds!!  

Don't let it phase you , you're going to get there.  This has just been a detour.

:)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

"The withdrawal effects are brutal for me. Specifically the constant anxiety/panic. It's hard to concentrate at work when I'm in a steady state of fear. Along with that, I will get uncontrollable crying spells out of nowhere, anything minor will set me off and I'll sob like a little girl "

Have you tried 5 HTP? It has helped me a lot during the withdrawal symptoms post tapering (20 years plus on SSRIs). Do some research on this product, best taken with Vit B6....

Hope this helps...

1994 Prozac for major depression (not well tolerated - precipitated agitation and hypomania)

1995-2005: various ADM trials and 'mood stabilisers' for suspected bipolar 2 (Avanza, Effexor, zyprexa, seroquel, lamictal). Not well tolerated and discontinued .

2006-2015: Zoloft. Various doses. 50, 75, 100 mg. Twice attempted to discontinue but resumed due to W/D (at time assumed to be relapse)

2000 - present. Xanax for anxiety/agitation. PIP as needed. No dependence issues.

2015: Tapered from 50 mg Zoloft over 6 months. Now using 5HTP & Vit B6 to assist with withdrawals. Still taking Xanax as required for anxiety and agitation.

• Moderator Emeritus

Psyguy,

Here's a link about 5-htp.  Some people do okay on it, for others it isn't advisable, so have a read and see what you think.  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9933-5-htp-5-hydroxytryptophan-and-l-tryptophan/

And a link for B vitamins Some people can take them, others find them too activating.

Let us know how things are going for you,

KarenB

8 month hold.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the responses and advice. Can I take the 5-htp while I'm still on meds? Is it advisable to take it along with medication? After I was hospitalized I am now on a different medication schedule and I have a follow up with a new dr. In a few weeks. I'm now on

40mg paxil

15mg zyprexa

900mg gabapentin

I desperately want off these meds and will talk to my new dr and see what they say.

October 2015 - Present:

40mg Paxil

15mg Zyprexa

900mg Gabapentin

1mg Cogentin

1mg Ativan as needed

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi PsyGuy,

I can't help with the question about 5-htp.  However, it will be helpful for you to add your new meds (dose and date started) to your signature block.

I'd also suggest that you post the new doc's suggestion/s here BEFORE you take/stop medication/s so you can get the opinion of the staff/members on this forum.

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

You don't want to take 5htp with an SSRI as they both touch seratonin and you could get seratonin syndrome. That should only be a possibly alternative with people not taking meds that touch seratonin. I'm not a doctor but that is what I've heard.