Futurerecovery: PSSD after a few days

Futurerecovery

Hello,

My story is much longer, but here's the short version:

December 2014:

2 days Escitalopram 5mg

I got a very mild PSSD. Sexual dysfunction during treatment was worse than PSSD. But I didn't know that it was PSSD.

January 2015:

4 days Escitalopram 2.5 mg

I noticed emotional blunting on the fourth day.

6 days after the last 2.5 mg, (probably the Vitamin D has nothing to do with it):

Vitamin D (10.000 i.u. , I took it weekly, but this was the last time)

7 - 14 days after the last 2.5 mg all my symptoms worsened extremely

Some weeks after the last 2.5 mg a few symptoms got better.

Then nearly nothing changed.

I got PSSD, blocked emotions and other symptoms. Symptoms worse than during treatment.

I guess reinstating the drug would be a bad idea..

I am 23 years old.

Welcome 'futurerecovery' .Sorry to hear of your troubles youve come to the right place.The members on this site are very knowlegable and supportive.I wish you well.

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello FR, welcome to SA, thank you for posting your introduction and sharing your experience. It is very saddening that you are having these problems after just 6 days of treatment with escitalopram. You had adverse reactions to the drug from the very first pill so I wouldn't reinstate it now as it could make things much worse. 

The symptoms will get better, but it will take time, hopefully you will recover quickly as you had just a few doses. 

Take good care of yourself, eat good healthy food, avoid alcohol and drugs, and try to get enough sleep. Many people find that fish oil capsules and magnesium help with withdrawal symptoms, start with a low dose and increase if necessary. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

It will help if you can put a short version of your history in your signature strip, you can find how to do that here.. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Try not to worry, withdrawal is distressing but will get better.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

And can I add to MamaP's list of things to avoid:  coffee.  I only used to have one cup a day, but when I stopped it really helped my withdrawal symptoms to ease up. 

Basically, any soothing, healing things you can find will help you get through this easier - hot baths with epsom salts, resting when tired, the company of a trusted friend, cuddling a pet...  check out http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/  for heaps of ideas - you can choose what suits you.

It can be hard, but you will get there,

Hugs,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thank you for your advice. I already avoid alcohol as well as caffein. Even before this story I drank alcohol or caffeine rarely. I even have never smoked. And actually I didn't take the SSRI because of a mental disorder.

I really can't imagine that my emotions will come back someday. It feels as if there is a barrier in my brain. As if I can't get access to parts of my brain. That's horrible. More horrible than genital anesthesia.

I nearly can't feel fear, anger, sadness, depressive feelings, euphoria and I became nearly asexual.

I can also feel nearly no adrenaline anymore and my heart is much calmer when I am excited.

Even my sleeping mechanism is damaged. I am able to sleep well, but I don't feel tiredness as before and it feels totally different in my brain and sometimes my tiredness is converted to chills and borborygmus. In the first weeks this was my most awful symptom next to nausea and breathing problems, I couldn't sleep and the chills were extreme. After a few weeks the chills got milder and I was able to sleep. Nausea and breathing problems also disappeared nearly completely after a few weeks. But since then nearly nothing has changed, my emotions and PSSD didn't improve at all.

It's so hard to deal with this situation.

• Administrator

Welcome, Futurerecovery.

Your description of symptoms is very, very familiar to many on this Web site.

You will heal, it will take time and patience. There are things you can do to support your nervous system in its healing. See our Symptoms and Self-care forum  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/for suggestions about how to cope with symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...

It seems that it gradually gets worse in my case :(

I lose all hope.

I often drink hot chocolate, is that a problem?

just a word from someone who was on Escitalopram for quite a time..... try to cut out or at least down on sugary products, I found it increased my anxiety and made me feel horrible for 3 - 4 days after.  I am slowing re-introducing luxuries such as chocolate, sweets and cakes but I still have times when it affects me, especially when I am in one of the down periods i.e. wave.

Namaste.

1997 - 2001 Seroxat 10mg

2001 - 2013 Escitalopram 10mg

Gradual taper from 10mg to 5mg over 2.5 years (between 2011 - 2013)

Last taper from 5mg to 0 under advice from doctor done in 1 month (too damn fast!) - included missing out days.

Have been drug free since Oct 2013.  - Yep 5 years drugs free

• 3 weeks later...

Oh nooo!! It really gets worse. Some weeks ago my ejaculation gradually got worse. Then suddenly my genital anesthesia got even worse and now I have anorgasmia! It's nearly impossible to achieve an orgasm. Even when I don't try it for a few days. I don't understand it.

I hope that I achieve at least a last orgasm for semen cryopreservation.

• 1 month later...

It gets worse... :( It seems that I am impotent (erectile dysfunction) now.

And my emotional anesthesia is still the same. It's one of the worst symptoms one can imagine. It will stay forever probably because nothing changes.

By the way: I even don't sweat anymore!

I don't understand why it gets worse. :(

----

I can't edit my introduction post, it was 20.000 i.u. Vit D

You havent been I the drugs for a long time. Just a few days!

Cheer up. You have lots of possibilities to recover boy!

PROBLEM. PSSD 
Symptons:- 1 Not arousal, not libido: the sensation of "I could live without sex" - 2 I can get orgasms but they are much weaker. -3 I have noticed that my breast  don´t get swollen before menstruation (This has improved) -4  Lack of vaginal discharge (this has improved)- 5 Barely absence of vaginal odour
Induced by In Escitalopram 1 year and two months
Begining:10 mg per day -Jun 2013 to May 2013-
Reduce to 10 gr every two days - Jun 2013 to Aug 2013

Eventually quit on September 2013.

Slight Improvements. Window:  3 days on August 2015

WHY STARTING WITH IT?Great general anxiety that Esc. cured . Novemb 2015 anxiety hasd returned
Natural suplements or herbs you are having?: 1500 mg oil fish omega 3 daily since 28/1/2014.

December 15. 0,5-1 gr lorazepam per day. 

"if you come up with any good ideas, please let me know"

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, I appreciate your comment, but it seems that I will have these symptoms for decades..

Yesterday I played with a soccer ball in the room, but only for 5 minutes. Afterwards I was very weak. Especially my arms although I did not use them. Today it didn't improve. I even feel the weakness when I hold a spoon. It feels exhausted.

I often noticed muscle weakness since PSSD, but now it is very bad and I hope it does not persist.. :(

I have also less sensation in the arms since PSSD. When I lie on my arm, it gets numb, that's nothing special, but since PSSD I notice a much smaller difference when my arm gets numb.

I also noticed some months ago that it is much harder to tense the muscles of my pelvic floor. I can't move them as good as before.

• Moderator Emeritus

Futurerecovery,

I'm sorry you are going through this, it sounds like you are very worried about your situation. But you were only on the drugs for a very short time, you had a bad reaction and stopped quickly and now you seem to have become hyper-focused on your body, its functions and its sensations. This is not a good environment to support recovery, you are creating more stress and anxiety for yourself which may be prolonging your symptoms.

Forget about your body and what its doing or not doing and put your energy into something else. Take up a new hobby, start a project, set some goals and work towards them. Improve your health in general through diet and exercise. If you get interested in something else, relax about what's going on, your body will recover while you are busy with other things.

Come here and tell us about your new activities.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you for your post, Petunia.

I wouldn't say that I am hyper-focused on my body because I don't need to focus on my body in order to notice very abnormal symptoms.

When it comes to anxiety and other emotions: I wish I could feel them as much as before the SSRI.

Yes, I took the drugs only for a short time. But this doesn't mean anything. Damage is damage.

There are a lot of people with PSSD who took an SSRI only for a few days.

Two years ago I took Venlafaxine 75mg for 5 days. I experienced genital anesthesia, but it went away. Though possibly Venlafaxine has altered something in my brain because the Escitalopram-induced genital anesthesia is still persistent.

Forget about your body and what its doing or not doing and put your energy into something else. Take up a new hobby, start a project, set some goals and work towards them.

That's my attitude. And of course I don't care about the symptoms as much as in the first months. But it's hard to cope when a situation that is already extremely bad seems to get even worse.

I was a very passionate amateur musician. Someone called me the George Harrison of the new millenium :lol: 

But because of the SSRI symptoms it's very hard to make music because I feel nearly nothing. Sometimes I have even burning sensations in my head when my brain tries to evoke emotions. That's why I am more interested in photography now. I don't need emotions for photography. Though it's not the same as music.

About my current situation:

The weakness symptom seems to be much better today, but I don't know what happens when I do sports.

Since the beginning of PSSD I have nearly all PSSD symptoms one can have, though currently it is at least still possible to reach orgasms and I can still achieve erections, but especially erections (including morning erections) and ejaculation worsened some months ago. So I hope it won't get even worse in the future.

The worst symptom is the blocking of emotions. One can not imagine how terrible this symptom is, it offends against human dignity. It has nothing to do with the lack of emotions which depressive people report. I am even not able to have depressive feelings as good as before! But the worst thing is probably not beeing able to feel love anymore.

I can perceive that there are connections in my brain which I can't access. As if connections have been cut through. It's as if someone cut off your finger and therefore you can not access your fingertip.

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree with you that not being able to make proper emotional connections is very difficult to live with. We have lost part of our humanity, making us like a soulless robot, devoid of meaning and purpose. I have been living the same way as have a lot of other people, I read this all the time as I go through introduction threads. But we get better, our proper emotional functioning comes back. Its often one of the last stages of recovery but you will feel love again and you will be able to play music with passion again.

What do you like taking photos of?

It would be great if you would put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 2 months later...

Oh no, the sleep seems to get worse.

The sleep problems began in the same week as PSSD last year.

Back then in the first week of PSSD I nearly couldn't sleep because something in my brain was really messed up. It felt as if the tiredness in my brain evaporated within seconds when I tried to sleep. A horrible feeling one can not imagine. It felt as if the tiredness evaporated like a gas. It felt like sand that went through your hand. The evaporated tiredness evoked immediately shivering, borborygmus and muscle twitches simultaneously within seconds. A week later I could sleep. Because my brain seemed to adapt. I couldn't access anymore the area of my brain where the tiredness evaporated and that was actually a good thing. Because then there was nearly no tiredness which could evaporate anymore. So I couldn't perceive as much tiredness as before PSSD but it was enough tiredness to sleep very well.

But as time passed my perception of tiredness got worse and it felt as if more and more connections/areas of my brain that are responsible for tiredness seemed to disappear or to get inaccessible, though it was often still enough to sleep well.

But now it seems to get critical.

FutureRecovery .    Sleep problems , in withdrawal are very common  . The feeling you are referring to , is to do with cortisol spikes.  You explain it very well . It felt  as if the tiredness evaporated like a gas.  The body , in withdrawal over compensates, and puts you in a state of fight / flight.  It's extremely disconcerting , but it helps a little if you can understand what is going on . Please read these links .

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/33-waking-with-panic-or-anxiety-managing-cortisol-spikes/?hl=%2Bwaking+%2Bpanic

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/555-tips-to-help-sleep-so-many-of-us-have-withdrawal-insomnia/

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• 2 weeks later...

No, it's totally different than just perceiving no tiredness. My brain feels like a hand with cut off fingers. It is really like that. It feels as if there are less areas / paths in my brain that can perceive tiredness.

And when I try to sleep I can't access certain areas or paths of my brain. Instead a substance (which has probably something to do with tiredness) in my brain seeps away. And when the substance seeps away it causes simultaneously chills, shivering, borborygmus and other symptoms. My brain feels as if it isn't leakproof.

One feels like a laboratory rat.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know whether I can live with this situation til the rest of my life. It's sooo cruel.

And you can't imagine how cruel it felt when you noticed for the first time in your life that you really (!) couldn't access certain areas of your brain anymore, it's cruel.

I think that it is nerve damage.

Some symptoms even seem to get worse very slowly.

• Moderator Emeritus

It isn't for the rest of your life Future , it's until it improves.  And it will.

Maybe now's a good time to fill us in on the longer version of your drug history , so we really understand your story.

It would be good if you can include street drugs / pot , because we know that they affect the same parts of the brain as ssri's.

As you recover , some things do seem to get worse , then better , then worse again. See "The Windows and Waves 

Pattern of Stabilization"  here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

bw ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey FutureRecovery - 

Your name says it all:  in the Future, you WILL Recover!

You wrote:

Yes, I took the drugs only for a short time. But this doesn't mean anything. Damage is damage.

Yes, but damage HEALS.  My husband had a stroke - he has a hole in his brain the size of a golf ball.  But he can talk and walk - at about 95% of what he could before.

I suggest you find Norman Doidge's book, "The Brain that Heals Itself" for encouragement.  There is more about neuroplasticity here:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1160-brain-remodeling/  and here:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2761-neuroplasticity-and-limbic-retraining/

Then you wrote:

That's why I am more interested in photography now. I don't need emotions for photography. Though it's not the same as music.

Hey!  That's something you can DO!  That's really really good!  Throw yourself into photography, think about nothing but the image on film, er, digital, er, however you do it.  Scout out new places, new times of day, new lighting - really explore this thing.  

No, it's not the same as music - but the music will be back.  It may be over a year - but you have something you can do!  That is more than many people can say.

Then you write:

Oh no, the sleep seems to get worse.

This is a classic withdrawal symptom.  See:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/604-important-topics-about-symptoms-including-sleep-problems/  in addition to the links that Ali gave you.

You were only on the drugs a short time.  Because you had an adverse reaction, it may take a year before you "feel like yourself again."  But take comfort in the things that you can do - can you walk? exercise?  read?  write?  The things you can do will help make shorter this time that you are waiting to heal.

Because TIME is the main thing you need to heal this thing.  It does get better!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions.

I have never taken street drugs, actually everything that is worth mentioning is in my signature.

In 2012 I underwent surgery and had to take painkillers for about 2 weeks.

In 2013 I took Venlafaxine for 5 days. It caused genital anesthesia, nearly anorgasmia, 10 minutes a racing heart after orgasm, insomnia, dizziness, yawning, something similar to spasm in belly during yawning, extremely dilated pupils, erogenous sensation in left thigh and adrenergic sensation in the belly during sports. I stopped taking it and experienced the worst panic attack that I ever had in my life.

The symptoms went away after stopping it, just the adrenergic sensation in the belly during sports persisted several weeks.

Then my story actually started in the summer of 2014. I was depressive for one (!)day. Therefore I took 1 pill of 300mg St. John's wort. But it was not the first time in my life I took St. John's wort(I took it occasionally and I never had noticed side effects from it before).

But on this day I got dizziness, sensitivity to moving objects, very bad brain fog (which felt like brain concussion and as if something with the eyes was not alright) and a very bad lack of concentration that was not comparable to a usual lack of concentration. No cause could be found. But I don't know whether St. John's wort was the cause.

The symptoms were persistent 24h per day and it was terrible. Only during fever after a flu vaccination the brain fog was not there.

I tried physiotherapy and sports, but it did not help.

So one told me that it would be psychosomatic. Therefore I took St. John's wort again. But 900mg instead of 300mg.

I took it for a few weeks and I got hot flushes. After quitting it I got bad withdrawal symptoms from St. John's wort: hot flushes, spasms in the leg, adrenergic sensation in the belly, shivering/chills, nausea, mild amnesic dysphasia/worse short-term memory and a strange smell in the nose. After about 4-5 days these symptoms seemed to have been gone. Surprisingly my lack of concentration and my brain fog improved a bit after the withdrawal symptoms went away.

Though the dizziness, the brain fog and the lack of concentration were still there. So one week later I agreed to take Escitalopram... (December 2014)

So in addtion to the Escitalopram-induced symptoms I also suffer from brain fog and dizziness.

• 3 months later...

Nothing improves. It's nearly constant. I have blocked feelings(nearly all feelings are blocked, even depressive feelings and tiredness feelings) and sexual dysfunction, asexuality, etc every(!) single second since the beginning. So it's no surprise that meanwhile I nearly got used to these unimaginable cruel symptoms which I have never(!) had before PSSD (apart from the 5 days Venlafaxine).

Recently the online PSSD community has been extremely quiet. It makes me feel that it's more rare than I thought and therefore could never get acknowledged.

Reading articles about physicians that praise antidepressants and want to explain everything by depression makes me upset and even more hopeless. I guess there will be doctors and possibly other people who will blame me until my death.

Hi, I have it also. This that the reading about doctors praising antidepressants makes me furious and desperate for unjustice. But in the last time I told myself that in the majority of professions,not only by the doctors but also by lawyers and almost by all state employees the majority will always defend the easiest solution or do nothing. It is as it is. They are not motivated or maybe even dont have the brain for something other. Therefore if we want something, mostly we have to do the whole work ourselves (that is the experience I did in life).

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

• Moderator Emeritus

Futurerecovery -- you don't have to accept the blame because it's not yours.  Be sure to use the title of an old Elvis tune and "Return [the blame] to Sender"

And if the sender isn't responsible, then remember that the blame belongs with the manufacturers who put profit before people and doctors who don't challenge the corrupt system of medical journals. 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 4 months later...

In the last few days suddenly my situation became a lot worse. Since a few days I can't get my resting heart rate below 80, previously it was always 60. I am more sensitive to moving objects and my belly is under tension all the time and I hear as much borborygmus as 2 years ago (especially when I want to sleep). I am sensitive to cold and I shiver occasionally and I am nearly not able to sleep. It feels as if my body releases too many stress hormones. I am not able to get calm. Sounds contradictory to what I have written before, I can not explain it.

Half a year ago a blood test showed that I have Lupus-associated antibodies, but my symptoms don't seem to be typical for Lupus. MRI of the brain was done half a year ago and was normal.

I am desperate and I wonder whether my life is drawing to an end.

Does anyone know whether this symptom (fast puls at rest: 80-100) can go away? :(

It also feels as if adrenaline is in my belly all the time. Very uncomfortable.

Can anyone tell me that this goes away?

• Moderator Emeritus

Increased heart rate can be a withdrawal symptom. Here's a link to our discussion topic on heart rate symptoms:

Irregular heartbeat, palpitations, tachycardia, bradycardia

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Oh no! My mother gave me rooibos tea on Tuesday because I felt so bad because of the fast heart rate. The rooibos tea made me extremely(!) calm (though the resting heart rate was still faster than usual), but I did not know that rooibos tea is also serotonergic. Days after the rooibos tea I noticed that I had a little bit more control over my heart rate, but since Wednesday evening the muscles of my face are so tense that it hurts :(

Today I also noticed that orgasm is not possible anymore at all! :( :( Last weekend it still worked. Libido and erection seem to be even worse, too. I also have the assumption that my ability to have anxiety is even more reduced.

Sleep still very difficult, my heart rhythm changes when I want to sleep and it feels as if vessels in my brain or head pulsate.

What should I do?

I have also nausea :( :( Can't eat

I still have nausea or low appetite, can't sleep well, as soon as I try to sleep my head pulsates and a substance in my brain seeps away. I have the impression that anxiety as well as feelings of euphoria/happiness have been further reduced. Sexuality did not improve, today I achieved an orgasm, but it's nearly impossible and the orgasm is even painful and totally pleasureless. Sexuality was never as bad as now.

• 1 month later...

The fast heart rate as well as the nausea went away before 2017, though the resting heart rate changed. My feelings and my sexuality are nearly 100% dead since then. Orgasm nearly impossible and when I reach the orgasm I feel nothing. I am just about to lose my capability of being able to have an orgasm at all. Sexuality was never that bad. I might try CDP-Choline. Also feelings of euphoria and joy have been even more reduced. I also have the impression that food and listening to music or singing or taking a warm shower feels even less satisfying.

I have no idea whether the rooibos tea contributed to the deterioration.

• 1 month later...

FutureRecovery, I don't mean to sound like the annoying doctors, but are you SURE it's not just you being depressed?  Depression can cause people to lose interest in sex/pleasure in orgasm.  Idk it just doesn't make sense as to why it would be somewhat good before but then almost zero a few days/months after if you haven't been taking anything...it should be getting better...not worse...

June 2013 - Vyvanse 40mgs and Adderall 20mgs

March 2015 - Concerta 36mgs and Seroquel 50mgs

August 2016 - Vyvanse 50mgs

November 2016 - Current - Vyvanse 60mgs, Seroquel 50mgs (I cut them in half and only take 25mgs), Wellbutrin 450gs (I hardly ever take it)

Current Withdrawal Symptoms: Very abnormal pins and needles/bubble feeling on the right and backside of my head (thought it was a brain tumor, so got both an MRI and CT Scan that came back normal), random waves of extreme depression sometimes with suicidal thoughts, tired most of the time, get anxious for seemingly no reason, sometimes hard to sleep. 

September 6, 2021 - Completely off all drugs.  Still smoke a lot of cannabis.  Take Animal Pak, L Tyrosine, and Organic Mucana as supplements.

I am 100% sure. Actually I am even not able to have depressive feelings since then. If you had read my entire thread, you would have noticed that I knew the sexual side effects already from Venlafaxine.

You can't say what makes sense and what not because you don't know the mechanism. The SSRI evoked a syndrom and of course a syndrome can get worse. Never heard of neurodegenerative diseases? For example it is known that also antibiotics (Levofloxacin, ..)

can evoke a syndrome after only 1 or 2 pills and these syndromes can get worse, too.

It is known that tardive dyskinesia can get worse after the treatment, etc... Actually it doesn't make sense to say that it doesn't make sense if you know nothing about it. For instance if something with my serotonin transporter, etc is wrong due to the treatment with the SSRI or if other important mechanisms don't work normal due to treatment with the SSRI, then it's very likely that this alters the brain over time.

By the way the deteriorations were mainly extremely mild compared to the beginning of the PSSD syndrome. The condition is so bad since the beginning that the deteriorations are nearly not worth mentioning.