iull1k: Seroxat 18 months

iull1k

Hello to all members of this community.

First of all i want to start with an introduction. I have 22 years old, a beatiful girlfriend, a friendly family and all that can make me happy. But because of a irresponsible neurologist i'm in the same boat as all of us. I always had an anxious behaviour but this never bothered me. I was happy and all was fine until january 2014 when after a surgery i had first panick attack followed by an extreme anxiety. Finally after different attempts to get back on the track, i started to use Seroxat (Paroxetine) 10mg + Clonozepam. All was fine but i still had some troubles and was upped to 20mg after 3-4 months. In some months my condition stabilized and all was fine. I had normal libido, i even remember how i was horny right after seeing pictures on fb. In march-april i started to taper from my dose. From 20 mg to 15, 10, 7.5, 5. On each dose i stoped for one month, In may-june i falled in love (10mg). I still remember how on my birthday i was with my girlfriend and noticed her tanga under the dress and a fire passed trough me. Even 2 months ago (mild july) i was in a trip with my girlfriend and i had all range of emotions (5 mg). At the end of the july i had a very stressful situation in my family ( because of health problem of my dad) and there is moment when all started to change. My appetite decreased,I have not eaten a few days, subfebrile fever, fatigue , pain in eyes and sensibility at light , headaches on left side and so on. On day 3 or 4 because of excessive stress and lack of sleep i took 0.5mg clonozepam. In the morning i had a wet dream and my morning wood was not so hard. Next day was the same. I still had erections but my libido started to fade (because of stress i thought and even not noticed this as a problem). But i still had emotions and sexuality was still there, i even planned a trip in september. From october i planned to begin studies for master degree. On 6 august i drank a 2% beer, all night something happened in my gut and the next day i had a intoxication with fever and diarrhea .The culmination of this story is from 9 to 10 august when i tapered from 5 mg to 3 mg. At 7PM (i take it at night not in the morning) i got my dose and arround at 9PM i was with my girlfriend in park when i felt something like before panic attack. Next day when i woke up i understood that something is strange but was not sure what is happening. Zero libido, no emotions, poor erections, genital anaesthesia (and not only genital but on whole body i had less sensitive skin), numbs hands or legs during sleep or even during day, unable to sleep, and lot of other symptoms. An interesting thing was my dark urine from first day that lasted arround 5 days (something that i think has to do with Ion channels - sodium-potassium-calcium) . I made medical tests and my free testosterone is at lower limit, my cortisol was at higher limit and my prolactine was fine) Until 30 august i tapered completly as was sure that this is best decision after all that i had read about pssd. After tapering i hade a week with better erections. Now i'm on 14 september. I sleep well, numbness and fatigue decreased and my headaches practically disappeared. I still have all other symptoms like anaesthesia, zero libido, poor erections, no emotions, premature ejaculation, frequent urination, anxiety, lack of concentration and decreased mental abilities.

I read virtually all existing information about PSSD and i understood like all people that are there involved that we are in a big ass! :D I even don't know how the **** i can smile now.

So what we have now.

I thought for a long time and defined three options :

1) Chemical ( Dopamine, histamine, prolactine receptors and so on modulations by meds)

2) Natural (sensitization with Curcumin, Inositol, SJW. Trying to lower serotonin - shilajit , ginseng panax...SERT modulation with Zinc and so on)

3) Going back slow on SSRI ( This is a option that i accepted in my brain just yesterday, until is not too late to do this ) at low dose that i felt fine (5-10mg) and to try to taper again slower with the hope that messed up neurotransmitters will restore back. This story inspired me http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5787-furiated-progress-thread-male-18-suffering-from-cymbaltas-poisonous-effects/

I thought about it because seems like there is a probability that all what is happening now have to do with withdrawal because i don't had this problems on seroxat (at least emotional anhedonia)

Also i have a rational neurologist that which was agree with what happens. He's not saying that everything is in my head , he read much literature to understand the issue even after work hours but don't know how to deal with this. More then this i have a lovely and understanding girlfriend.

Guys, i'm ready to read any of yours advice and be free to write all that you think. I really hope for help.

Febr 2014 - May 2014 : 10mg Seroxat (Paroxetine)

May 2014 - April 2015 : 20mg Seroxat (Paroxetine)

April 2015 (Tapering monthly 15mg-10mg-7.5mg-5mg-3mg-0mg)

When tapered from 5mg to 3mg got PSSD (Genital anaesthesia,zero libido,erection problems, emotional anhedonia)

I need yours advices about going back on SSRI. What do you think about this in my case? Also on which SSRI would be better to go back, the used one or another? What kind of more damages i can make and is it worth the risk? Thank's

When tapered from 5mg to 3mg got PSSD (Genital anaesthesia,zero libido,erection problems, emotional anhedonia)

The point is that i don't want to stay on the drug. I would like to go back for trying to stabilize pssd and especially emotional anhedonia and to taper more slowly with hope that all can be fine for this time. Thank's very much

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello iull. welcome to SA. You are suffering from withdrawal as you suspect. Unfortunately you tapered too fast and now your body is struggling to get back to normal.  It is always best to reinstate the same drug and then taper off slowly.  I would go back to 5mg and stay at that dose for a few months to stabilise before starting to taper again.  You will recover from this and get your life back to normal, it will take some time but hopefully will not be very long until you feel much better. 

Here is the topic to read on reinstating... http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

About tapering seroxat (paxil)  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/405-tips-for-tapering-off-paxil-paroxetine/

Many of us find a good quality fish oil helps with symptoms, and magnesium can be very calming.  

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

It will help us if you can put your drug history in your signature strip, a short summary is all that is needed, when you started taking it and when you started and stopped tapering. You can find how to do that here..

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thank's very much for your advice. Is it not to late to reinstate? I tapered on 10 august from 5 mg to 3 and the rest of the month i tapered continuously to 0. My last dose (arround 1mg) was on 30 aug. I should reinstate directly 5 mg from first day?

• Administrator

Welcome, iull.

You might try 1mg to start, to see how it affects you. It could be that small dosage will be enough. Be sure to take it at the same time each day. You'd taper off later by tiny amounts.

This topic Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine) will explain how to take small doses.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello Alto. When i was on 3-2-1mg i was not fine at all. My pssd and emotional anhedonia started at 3mg. Do you think that i should reinstate at 1mg and if nothing wrong is happen to go up until i will get some improvements? Also, considering actual condition, what more can happens and if it worth the risk? Thank's very much for your attention.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi iull ,    how  have you been doing?   Did you reinstate?

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi iull ,    how  have you been doing?   Did you reinstate?

Hello. Thank's for asking. Well i did not do this because i was afraid. I really don't have any withdrawals symptoms like most people here. My symptoms are more specific to PSSD

• Administrator

If PSSD is your only symptom, not reinstating and allowing your body to heal is probably the best route.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank's very much for your advice. I mean that my symptoms are the same as PSSD suffers, not that my only symptom is sexual dysfunction. However i don't see any person who recovered from this condition. I don't have emotions at all, less sensitive skin, can't get tickled, don't have genital sensations, no libido and brain fog and lowered body temperature (i can wear a jacket at 25 celsius degree). 

P.S. I dedicate my entire free time for study mountains of research and documents.

• Moderator Emeritus

However i don't see any person who recovered from this condition.

Here are some:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/52-post-ssri-sexual-dysfunction-pssd/?p=192419

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 6 years later...

How you doing now? 

Jan 2017 (17 years old) Prozac 10 mg : May 2018 rapid taper to 0mg : August 2018 low dose hydrocodone for 1 week- sept 2018: began taking the legal supplement Kratom (partial opiate agonist, serotonin receptor agonist, 5-HT2c blocker increasing dopemine and norepinephrine) for back pain : October 2018- reinstated 10 mg Prozac Jan 2019 upped to 20 mg prozac
August 2019: upped to 40 mg prozac 
Through 2020 Worked up to 25 gpd krat
September 2020: dropped Kratom dose by 10gpd
Sept 2020- Jan 2021: tapered krat to 7gpd
January 2021: switched to lexapro 10 mg
May 2021:  delayed withdrawal symptoms

May-January- tapered Krat to 0.8 mg, jumped in late Jan 

April 2022: drop lexapro and added 10 mg Prozac 

July 7: 15 mg Prozac