Blaine11: SSRI in tramadol caused me permanent brain damage?!

blaine11

i have a couple questions,

i was taking tramadol, it has an SSRI - for 7 months. i havent taken any for 16 months now and i believe i have permanent brain damage.

i have low sex drive and also alcohol is no longer is pleasurable (no buzz or euphoria)

is this permanent? is it ever possible to recover and enjoy sex and alcohol again?

thank you for any help/advice!

zoloft - a few years ago, symptoms - low libido and insomnia - returned to normal on discontinuation

tramadol (SSRI) - off now from 7 months usage, 150-200mg per day, symptoms - almost non exist libido/sex drive, no pleasurable effects from alcohol, feeling 'not normal' - 16 months clean

i have a couple questions

i was taking tramadol, it has an SSRI - for 7 months. i havent taken any for 16 months now and i believe i have permanent brain damage.

i have low sex drive and also alcohol is no longer is pleasurable (no buzz or euphoria)

is this permanent? is it ever possible to recover and enjoy sex and alcohol again?

thank you for any help/advice!

zoloft - a few years ago, symptoms - low libido and insomnia - returned to normal on discontinuation

tramadol (SSRI) - off now from 7 months usage, 150-200mg per day, symptoms - almost non exist libido/sex drive, no pleasurable effects from alcohol, feeling 'not normal' - 16 months clean

Hi blaine11 welcome are you taking any medication now ?

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi blaine11

Welcome to the forum. I hid the post you made in symptoms because it's identical to this.

I'm wondering, how did you come off the Tramadol? Did you taper slowly? If so, over what period of time and as per the question above, are you currently on and drugs?

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

thanks for the replies

no i did not taper, i just stopped taking it. i was prescribed tramadol for ongoing back ache and the fact i was feeling very low, hence tramadol has an ssri.

i am currently on no other medication. this is why im worried i have permanent brain damage. ive read some horror stories of taking only one SSRI pill and people having terrible reactions

• Administrator

Welcome, blaine.

Read What is withdrawal syndrome?

Alcohol can make you feel worse and delay your recovery. You can help healing along by eating good food with lots of veggies; minimizing additives, sugar, alcohol, etc.; getting regular gentle exercise.

See our Symptoms and Self-care forum  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/for suggestions about how to cope with symptoms

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

thank you for the advice

exercise is a big part of my life

the big question is does the brain recover?

like i said ive read some awful accounts of permanent damage

• Administrator

Yes, the brain recovers.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

thats good to know, but 16 months is a long time, im assuming recovery can take years?

Do I understand correctly? You just want to say that a component of the tramadol works like an SSRI, don't you?

I don't know whether it's correct to say that it has an SSRI.

my doctor said it has an SSRI, i explained the chronic back ache but also the stress of my job at the time. thats why he prescribed it

just to note, i have taken zoloft/sertraline in the past, i had some adverse effects which corrected themselves within days - insomnia and low libido

however i seem to have reacted differently to tramadol in the fact that symtoms have not corrected themselves

by all means if you believe otherwise id like to hear your opinion, im here for advice

The processes by which Tramadol work are up for debate among the medical community.  The pain relieving aspects come from its "opiate like" effects on the opioid receptors in the brain.  It is known to be an SSRA (selective serotonin releasing agent) an SSRI (selective serotonin uptake inhibitor) an SNRI (Serotonin–norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors) and an MDMA (I'm not going to try and spell it, but it is the street drug Ecstasy which releases serotonin).  It has been documented to easily cause serotonin syndrome when mixed with any of the common ssris we are familiar with and must be tapered off of in the same manner as other ssris.  General consistence among patients who have used it is that it is really nasty s*** and should be avoided.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

The processes by which Tramadol work are up for debate among the medical community.  The pain relieving aspects come from its "opiate like" effects on the opioid receptors in the brain.  It is known to be an SSRA (selective serotonin releasing agent) an SSRI (selective serotonin uptake inhibitor) an SNRI (Serotonin–norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors) and an MDMA (I'm not going to try and spell it, but it is the street drug Ecstasy which releases serotonin).  It has been documented to easily cause serotonin syndrome when mixed with any of the common ssris we are familiar with and must be tapered off of in the same manner as other ssris.  General consistence among patients who have used it is that it is really nasty s*** and should be avoided.

yes it is nasty, i  agree. my sex drive hasnt returned and i feel different. not to mention drinking alcohol feels like im drinking water, it really has screwed my brain up

has anyone recovered from the changes that im experiencing?

would love to hear people opinions and personal accounts 

i have this constant anxiety and fear that im damaged 

• Administrator

Tramadol is a serotonergic.

This site is filled with people recovering from similar symptoms.

i guess im just hoping for someone to tell me im going to be ok and ill recover

but i know no one can tell me that, its impossible to tell

It one of the hardest parts accepting that recovery may take a long time 'blaine11'.I'm trying to get my head around this myself .

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.

It one of the hardest parts accepting that recovery may take a long time 'blaine11'.I'm trying to get my head around this myself .

it is very hard, especially not knowing if youll ever recover. its scary, how are things for you? 

I'm wired most of the time 'blaine11' I have other symptoms but anxiety is the biggest problem for me.Do you experience windows and waves ?

yes i also have periods of anxiety, feelings of 'something bad is going to happen'. i would say so things come in waves, but i just dont feel 'right'. if that makes any sense?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Blaine, I have had a dreadful time trying to get off tramadol after taking a low dose for 10 years. Fortunately I discovered it is an SSRI/SNRI and all the other stuff before I tried to quit. I am now on just 50mg per day down from 100mg and will be tapering very slowly, treating it the same as any other AD taper. How long did you take it and what dose? Some people are on very high doses that must be a nightmare to get off. We ask all our members to put a brief summary their drug history in their signature strip to make it easier for staff to see what started the problems. You can find details how to do that here. ....http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/ 

Many people find that fish oil and magnesium help with withdrawal syndrome, I wouldn't be without either now! 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

thank you for the heads up

yes tramadol can be very difficult. my story - at first i was on 50-100mg once a day, everything was fine for 2 months, no issues. but then i stupidly became abit addicted and i was taking 150 then 200mg once a day - thats when everything changed

i lost all my sex drive, alcohol stopped working and i felt unlike myself. i stopped tramadol and 16 months on and things are still the same. i get periods of being on edge and i just dont feel normal anymore. the longer this goes on the more i feel like ill never recover

• Administrator

Yes, you will recover, it may take a long time. You will need to support yourself in healing and not dwell on the fear and uncertainty.

Yes, you will recover, it may take a long time. You will need to support yourself in healing and not dwell on the fear and uncertainty.

thank you

im eating as healthy as i can, im exercising - cardio, lifting weights. is there anything else i can do?

unfortunately my friends and family are not very supportive - they dont seem to believe me, that im making it up or something, its rather upsetting

• Administrator

Fish oil and magnesium?

'blaine11' have you showed your family this website  ? It may help them understand that this is real.

not this website per se, but ive shown them peoples experiences from articles on the internet, just because my mum has taken as ssri and was fine doesnt mean i will be, as we know - everyone reacts differently.

I've even told a doctor and he dismissed it too! it made me question myself, but i know what has happened is real.

i hope im making sense, but the longer my recovery takes the longer im falling into a 'depression' 

Yes your making complete sense.Doctors ! they hate the internet .Or  blaine11 you might climb into normality.

Depression and doomsday thinking are two major hallmarks of WD and two of the hardest most constant battles we have to suffer through.  They have to be accepted and moved past while letting them run their course.  One trick is to find something good that happens each day, a nice comment from someone, a beautiful sunset, flowers, something that briefly made you smile, and record it here in your journal.  On the way to work there is a large water tank with trees growing around it.  From a distance it looks like two dinosaurs sitting at a table drinking tea.  It always makes me smile when I see it.  What is yours?

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

nomore - i wish for normality

brass - thats a good idea, thanks. im always out jogging - the same route, i'll have a look around. running past the beaches in the evening is a wonderful sight

I;ve read that SSRI's permanently 'rewire' the brain, if that was true, then no one would recover?

i dont have the patience anymore, ive accepted im fucked for life, ill never enjoy beer again, ill never be able to enjoy sex again, i'll never be normal. i'm in a dark dark place

Blain,

Your in a bad wave. It will get better with time. Your out a long way, and that is good healing. Give it some more time.

Tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

16 months isnt enough time? then what is, 2 3 4 5 years? some people just never recover

Try to find a positive in all of this 'blaine11' .Think of the cash your saving not drinking