Beaches: Lamictal

Beaches

Hello everyone, I have been on lamictal 25 mg for 3 years. I had a bad reaction to antidepressants and they had told me I was bipolar. I never felt different in the 25 mg so I just stayed on it because I didn't want to mess with it and make anything worse.

Last week the doctor upped my dose to 50, I started taking it and noticed that I was a little more anxious or agitated and couldn't sleep as well. Also, I have had diareah everyday, which I thought was a bug but the more I think of it it started after I updosed and still has not went away. Last weekend I ran out and went into a little bit of withdrawal for the night I didn't have it. I went back to the 50 mg the next day. Last couple days I have had once again worse diareah and worsening of intrusive thoughts and anxiety. I feel nuts. My question is: can I go back Dow to 25 mg without tapering? Or should I cut the dose in half and do 37.5 mg for a few days?

Any input would help. Thank you.

Celexa for 12 years, effexor in the mix, lexapro in the mix, paxil (all those were short lived, I was yo yoed around.) I cold turkeyed celexa in 2012 and reinstated and had a adverse reaction that landed me in the hospital. Was very very sick for 2 whole years with psychosis. In the hospital they added lamictal 25 mg and I didn't react either way to it and just stayed on for the past 3 years. Never increased my dose or change it because I didn't want to mess with anything. Of course they said I was bipolar and that's why I reacted to antidepressants.

Hi beaches sorry to hear your having a bad time.Someone will be along soon to give you some advice.

I wish you well

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.

Thank you. I didn't sleep at all last night. I'm so worried I screwed myself.

Celexa for 12 years, effexor in the mix, lexapro in the mix, paxil (all those were short lived, I was yo yoed around.) I cold turkeyed celexa in 2012 and reinstated and had a adverse reaction that landed me in the hospital. Was very very sick for 2 whole years with psychosis. In the hospital they added lamictal 25 mg and I didn't react either way to it and just stayed on for the past 3 years. Never increased my dose or change it because I didn't want to mess with anything. Of course they said I was bipolar and that's why I reacted to antidepressants.

hi 'beaches' did you tell your doctor how you felt after upping to 50mg ?

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.

Yes and of course he said to just come down from 50 to 25

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Beaches, welcome to SA.  As it is just a few days at 50mg and you are having such bad side effects I would go back to 25mg right away. It may take some time for things to settle down again but if you stick to 25 and don't change things again you should be ok. You might feel like changing the dose if you are feeling unwell but that just makes things worse. You need stability and the same dose every day. When you have stabilised you can start to think about tapering it if that is wjat you want to do. Why did your doctor increase the dose? Lots of us have been diagnosed bi-polar after experiments with antidepressants made us ill! 

Here is the topic for lamical, http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1122-tips-for-tapering-off-lamictal-lamotrigine/

We ask all our members to fill out their signature with brief details of recent drug and tapering history, you can find instructions how to do that here..

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I am planning for now to just stay on the 25 mg I am just hoping to god I haven't screwed myself by going up and then down. I was only on the 50 for a week or so and it made me crazy. As of now I feel lethargic, maybe because the 50 mg was too activating?

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes it was far too high a dose for you, there is some info about the dangers of too high a dose in the lamictal topic. 

You will get better and things should settle down again soon. Take it day by day or even hour by hour, get through each day and take good care of yourself by eating good simple nourishing food and drink lots of water. Many people find fish oil and magnesium very helpful, but if you try them start with a low dose and increase gradually. There have been numerous reports in the media recently about fish oil and it's ability to help brain healing. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

Sleep will settle down again too, try not to worry about not sleeping and just rest in bed. Sometimes sleep will follow when we aren't trying but just resting our bodies.

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thank you mama. I have really bad ocd stuff and whenever I'm stressed it triggers it and of course the too activating dose comes into play as wel . I was having ringing in my ears so bad today. I took a quarter of the 25 mg tablet along with my 25 mg tablet and oddly enough it went away. Maybe this could be a good dose for me now, not too high and not too low.

Anyone else have any advice. I'm scared.

Imnniw having horrendous hot flashes and diareah. Can someone tell me if should updose even more? I went through a antidepressant withdrawal a few Years ago so I really don't want to do this again. Thank you for any input.

It must be hard at the moment  'beaches' 'listen to what ' mammap' suggested and stablize on 25mg see how you go.

i wish you well

Thank you both. ❤

• Administrator

Welcome, Beaches.

It may take some weeks for your nervous system to settle down from the drug changes. In the meantime, you will have ups and downs. See

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Altostrata, it appeared the decrease in med was way too low. I was having flu like symptoms and panic attacks so severe that I almost went to the hospital. I could not breathe. The more I was thinking about it I was fine on the 50 but decreases to 25 for a few days and that's when all hell broke loose. U think I should just go back to the 50? I am really scared that I did permanent damage to myself. The agitation I felt was from the decrease and I have been in such a tizzy that I didn't realize what I have done.

• Administrator

Yes, that is why we suggest 10% decreases. Read Tips for tapering off Lamictal (lamotrigine)

If I were you, I'd go back to 50mg immediately.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks a ton alto. I appreciate your help. Day 2 on the 50 mg and much better. Having some bad panic right now but I'm pretty sure it's gonna take a few days to stabilize or more

Alto, I feel a lot better but at around 5 or 6 in eve I get waves of fatigue and anxiety. Does this sound like my body is still trying to stabilize? It will take a few days or a couple weeks right?

• Administrator

It can take some weeks to stabilize. In the meantime, you will need to surf the waves of symptoms. See The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Thank u alto. I appreciate it

Last night was absolutely awful. I was up and having severe panic until 3 am. I took the lamictal yesterday early in morning and then the other one in the afternoon. By 11 last night I was an absolute wreck with insomnia and panic and tremors. I had a horrible feeling it was still withdrawal because the way I felt and how I used to take both at night. So I took my morning dose at 3 in the morn within an hour I was finee. Should I start taking both at night again? I didn't know the dosing time would have such an affect on me.

• Moderator Emeritus

You need to take the same dose at the same time every day. If you keep changing things around, you wont stabilize.

Some people do better taking lamictal once a day, others do better with twice a day. If you were fine for 3 years, taking it all at night, then that's probably what works best for you.

You might feel like changing the dose if you are feeling unwell but that just makes things worse. You need stability and the same dose every day. When you have stabilised you can start to think about tapering it if that is wjat you want to do. Why did your doctor increase the dose?

It would be great if you would put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks petunia I will do that. I am on my phone and it's not letting me do the signature but I will as soon as I get on comp

Hey everyone. So I gave been on the 50 mg now for 5 days. No more muscle aches and u have been taking one 25 in morn and one at night. I don't know if I'm not receiving enough med that way in my blood because in the morn I wake up exhausted and shaky and unable to catch my breath, so u take my dose and that goes away but I feel a little shaky and agitated. After a couple hours of taking my dose the same happens again. I am unable to catch my breath and am shaky and panicky and wired feeling. I never had this before on the 50 mg at night, I was only on that for 7 to 10 days but nothing but nausea. So I don't think I'm having a bad reaction I think that I'm in tolerance withdrawal. Is there such a thing? I am on generic lamictal so its not extended release. Why do I get so tired and then so agitated in between doses? I never remember being agitated before ever on lamictal. How long does it take to eneter blood stream and should I just take 50 all at once? I am sorry for all the questions. Please help. I'm very scared

Anyone?

• Administrator

This is what happens after you take a dose AND when you wake up in the morning?? When do you take your second dose?

After a couple hours of taking my dose the same happens again. I am unable to catch my breath and am shaky and panicky and wired feeling.

It is possible your body is now reacting differently to Lamictal.

Not anymore alto. Didn't have that the past 2 days and I have taken the dose at the same time. 2 25 mg pills together instead of apart. It seems to be helping. Still feeling a little agitated and off but nowhere where I was. This sound ok? I don't want to be damaged forever. Is lamictal a horrible drug ?

I mean horrible as in as damaging as antidepressants and benzos. I already went through antideppresant hell I can't do it again.

• Administrator

It's not as horrible as some, but going off can be difficult.

So you are taking 50mg at once?

Yes 50 at once. Feeling a little anxious tonight and agitated with a bad stomach ache. I don't know what to do. If I should step down a little or I am still in withdrawal?

Update: 3 or so days since I have been taking the 50 mg at night like I used to. Last week I was taking in in morn and one at night and that screwed me further. I did not know how important it was to tale same time everyday. Stupid me. Anyway, Fri night was awful and the agittaion was so high. That was the first night I took it at bedtime. The agitation was before I took it. Yesterday was a great day. I have been having intense waves periodically of fatigue and then agitation and feeling tightness in my throat. My hand tremors are completely gone and so is the tinnuitis and the nausea is all gone and the diareah is much better. Only about one doareah during the day, compared to having to go every 20 mins. I have been drinking ginger ale and tons of water and trying to self soothe myself and really relax.

I think I am beginning to stabilize and feel better. I have read so much on lamictal withdrawal how much it affects us. Some people have no issue coming off but I have always been so sensitive and have previous antidepressants withdrawals.

Anyway, these waves that are getting less and less of agitation and fatigue sound normal right? I have also probably lost 10 lbs in the past 2 weeks from all the nausea and diareah and not eating. Past 2 days I have eaten a lot more and feel better. I just don't know what is causing what? The withdrawal causing agitation or the fatigue? O the muscle aches have also went. I also have bad confusion and memory loss which is huge WD symptoms too. How stupid I am. I won't even mess with tapering for a very long time.

Beaches,

Both agitation and fatigue are wd symptoms.

Hope you are well,

Tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

Some severe memory problems past few days. Feel like I'm in a bad fog. I was reading that it happens bad in withdrawal and I am hoping that is the case. All of this is so scary.

• Moderator Emeritus

I have been on lamictal 25 mg for 3 years..... I never felt different in the 25 mg so I just stayed on it because I didn't want to mess with it and make anything worse.

Last week the doctor upped my dose to 50, I started taking it and noticed that I was a little more anxious or agitated and couldn't sleep as well. Also, I have had diareah everyday,...

Why did your doctor suddenly decide to increase your lamictal dose?

Are you still taking Celexa? If so, please would you note that in your signature along with the dose.

Yes, memory problems can be a symptom of withdrawal and a destabilized nervous system.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

So its been about a week since I went up to 50 again. I feel stabilized but feel tired and almost depressed like. Does this pass? I just feel blah. I don't know if it is because I didn't sleep for 3 weeks and was so agitated that now my body day is trying to recover or lamictal is making me depressed. I don't remember this ever happening before.

Any input would be so helpful. I'm just tired and blah. As much as I hate to feel agitated I would pry welcome it more than this feeling.

Hey Beaches,

You probably just need more time to stabilize.

You will get there, hang on

Tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.