Beaches: Lamictal

Beaches

And how's your sleep?

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

Sleep is excellent now. I didn't sleep for 3 weeks my system could just be going back to normal. My body was just through hell.

Celexa for 12 years, effexor in the mix, lexapro in the mix, paxil (all those were short lived, I was yo yoed around.) I cold turkeyed celexa in 2012 and reinstated and had a adverse reaction that landed me in the hospital. Was very very sick for 2 whole years with psychosis. In the hospital they added lamictal 25 mg and I didn't react either way to it and just stayed on for the past 3 years. Never increased my dose or change it because I didn't want to mess with anything. Of course they said I was bipolar and that's why I reacted to antidepressants.

This desperation feeling has taken over and I don't know what to do. My body is totally calm its just so weird.

Celexa for 12 years, effexor in the mix, lexapro in the mix, paxil (all those were short lived, I was yo yoed around.) I cold turkeyed celexa in 2012 and reinstated and had a adverse reaction that landed me in the hospital. Was very very sick for 2 whole years with psychosis. In the hospital they added lamictal 25 mg and I didn't react either way to it and just stayed on for the past 3 years. Never increased my dose or change it because I didn't want to mess with anything. Of course they said I was bipolar and that's why I reacted to antidepressants.

This happened to me once. I was very calm but my heart was pounding 135 bpm. I called an ambulance and my heart was fine and as they were doing the ecg my heart started to settle. It turned out it was a combination of extra seroquel and a very calm panic attack. It was weird and scary at the same time. Hope you feel better soon. Oh, I am on lamictal too and was at the time.

All medications::

Xanax (1995-96), Aropax (1995-96), Mellaril (1997-2000), Efexor (1997-2002), Seroquel (2000-now), Lithium Carbonate (2000-now), Avanza (2002-05), Epilim (2005), Seroquel-XR (2000-now), Zyprexa (2002-14), Raberprazole (2000-now prn), Crestor (2009-15), Gabapentin (2009-12), Lamictal (2010-now), Abilify (2011-now) Lyrica (2012-now), Diazepam (2010-now prn), Saphris (2014), Respiridone (2014), Chlorpromazine (2014) Neulatil (07/2016)

Current medications:

Lithium Carbonate 750mg; Seroquel-XR 600mg800mg 04/16, 600mg 04/16, 400mg 04/16, 200mg 04/16, 400mg 04/16, 500mg 04/16; Lamictal 250mg 200mg150mg 04/16; Lyrica 300mg; Abilify 20mg 30mg 11/15 Zoloft 25mg 04/16 ceased after a week due to severe suicidal thoughts; Seroquel 25mg prn; Diazepam 40mg CT Jan 2013, 5mg occasionally, (massive med changes in April 2016 due to a hospital admission).

SupplementsFish oil 4000mgMagnesium 100mg Niacinamide 1000mgSlippery Elm 800mg , B12 1000mcg, Zinc 50mg, B6 100mg, Vitamin D 2000IU, Calcium 1200mgP5P 100mg, Vitamin C 2000mg, Vitamin E 400IU

Hey thank you Cali, does the lamictal seem to help? If you had any side effects from it at beginning did they go away or calm down?

Hi Beaches, to be honest I don't remember. I was in hospital at the time and I was really drugged. I just remember that I was only on a tiny dose but it just never stopped. My old pdoc just wanted to control me and that was what worked for her. I don't think I had anything major happen when I started it or I would know about it I actually just think it made things the same as the only thing that needed to change was me and my own attitude towards the drugs. I just thought they would solve everything at the time. They didn't but did just make things worse. I guess I'm really lucky I have tapered right from the beginning. I really hope things settle for you soon.

All medications::

Xanax (1995-96), Aropax (1995-96), Mellaril (1997-2000), Efexor (1997-2002), Seroquel (2000-now), Lithium Carbonate (2000-now), Avanza (2002-05), Epilim (2005), Seroquel-XR (2000-now), Zyprexa (2002-14), Raberprazole (2000-now prn), Crestor (2009-15), Gabapentin (2009-12), Lamictal (2010-now), Abilify (2011-now) Lyrica (2012-now), Diazepam (2010-now prn), Saphris (2014), Respiridone (2014), Chlorpromazine (2014) Neulatil (07/2016)

Current medications:

Lithium Carbonate 750mg; Seroquel-XR 600mg800mg 04/16, 600mg 04/16, 400mg 04/16, 200mg 04/16, 400mg 04/16, 500mg 04/16; Lamictal 250mg 200mg150mg 04/16; Lyrica 300mg; Abilify 20mg 30mg 11/15 Zoloft 25mg 04/16 ceased after a week due to severe suicidal thoughts; Seroquel 25mg prn; Diazepam 40mg CT Jan 2013, 5mg occasionally, (massive med changes in April 2016 due to a hospital admission).

SupplementsFish oil 4000mgMagnesium 100mg Niacinamide 1000mgSlippery Elm 800mg , B12 1000mcg, Zinc 50mg, B6 100mg, Vitamin D 2000IU, Calcium 1200mgP5P 100mg, Vitamin C 2000mg, Vitamin E 400IU

Update: almost 2 weeks back on full dose of lamictal. I have put myself in a full frenzy. In all acuality I feel fine. I'm sleeping and no more withdrawal symptoms really. But I keep freaking myself out because I do feel anxious, I'm assuming its because I didn't sleep or eat in 3 weeks and got myself in am uproar. I have also read Every horror story out there. If I was going to have a bad reaction, I would of by now right? I fear that I will have a bad reaction like how I did with antidepressants. I had on with those within 2 days.

Hang in there beaches!

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

• Administrator

Beaches, it sounds like the reinstatement is doing its work. But you can see how much you're able to influence your symptoms!

You may wish to learn meditative breathing. This is good for you in so many ways, and can help you put the brakes on when you start to freak out.

Aside from that, how is your pulse rate, etc.? What is this feeling of "anxious," exactly?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Alto, thanks so much...I do this to myself for sure. When I get anxious I get bad intrusive thoughts and urges and feels like my head will burst with all my thoughts. Feeling quite down today. Had a great day yesterday.

• Moderator Emeritus
Petunia asked exactly what was on my mind, and I'm still not satisfied that this has been answered.  She asked:

Why did your doctor suddenly decide to increase your lamictal dose?

Are you still taking Celexa? If so, please would you note that in your signature along with the dose.

If you are still on Celexa, is the problem you've been having adjusting your Lamictal the only thing you want to address?

SA is not about throwing you into withdrawal, but about coming off or reducing psych drugs safely, with minimal harm and symptoms.  When you came off Celexa in the past, you cold turkeyed, which is bound to give anyone trouble.  It is possible, with a slow taper, to control your symptoms somewhat, and reduce the risk of extreme symptoms.

There is a very real chance that your "bipolar diagnosis" is a grave mistake - since you were in protracted withdrawal from Celexa.  It is common for doctors to misdiagnose withdrawal as "disease."

Is Lamictal your only drug?  It is unclear from your signature.

Since you are writing from a phone, here is how you Complete your Signature from Phone or Tablet

Please be patient with yourself.  These drugs take time to adjust to, and adjust from.  Frequent changes in dosages will only prolong your symptoms.  You have to stop hitting the basketball, if you ever want it to settle down.  And our brains make very poor basketballs!   :D

I hope you see the sun today.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 1 month later...

Celexa I have been off of for 4 years. I cold turkeyed and had a horrible time so I was put on lamictal 50 mg.

Anyway, been back on the 50 mg after all of that disaster that happened in sept and Oct. I have calmed down a bunch but feel that my ocd is worse,I have diareah and the cog fog is the worst. I also have rage spells. I sleep good and stuff but I just feel this dose is not working with me. I felt fine on the 25 mg.

Alto I was reading about lamictal and how you have to find your sweet spot. I believe 25 was for me. I did not have any of these affects. Anyway I want to taper. Should I have a hell of a time doing that? I don't want to mess anything up. I am hoping I would feel better going down? Did that happen to you alto, that you felt better going down from a too high of dose?

Anyone?

Can I split the 50 mg dose by taking one 25 mg in morn and one at night? Would that screw me up?

Hi Beaches,

Please read this thread . http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1122-tips-for-tapering-off-lamictal-lamotrigine/

So you're on 50mg ?  How did that increase from 25 mg ? ( in hospital )  ?   That shouldn't mess you up , if you take each at the same time each day . I would keep notes on your symptoms as well.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• 2 weeks later...

I have taken lamictal 50 mg at bed time. It's seems a bit too activating. Can I split the dose 25 in morn and 25 at night without screwing up my body or having some withdrawal stuff happen?

• Administrator

Beaches, can I move this to your Intro topic? I need to see your background to answer that question.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Of course!

• Administrator

Beaches, if I were you, I'd move 25mg lamotrigine earlier by an hour or so each day until you're taking it in the morning and see if that helps.

Why did the doctor increase your lamotrigine to 50mg in September?

Please update the lamotrigine information in your signature.

Alto because I had been on it for so long at 25 mg. I'm extra sensitive to meds and had no I'll effects with 25. I'm still doing ok at 50 but can definitely tell a little more agitation and songs stuck in my head. Just weird little things. I'll update my signature as soon as I can get on computer. Thanks alto. My plan is to taper off in a few months. U don't think I'll feel any different if I go slow switching the dose time?

• Administrator

I hope not. Gradually changing the dosing time should minimize any problems. I hope it feels less activating, especially at night.

Thanks again alto.

• 1 month later...

I am currently on 50 mg of lamictal and looking to microtaper off. I am on this for a mix diagnosis of an adverse reaction to an antidepressant. I have been on for the past 3 years and at point was just on 25 mg, until last September they raised it to 50 mg just because I was on 25 mg for so long.

I did not think it would affect me that much but I have noticed my anxiety is a little worse and I can't concentrate that well so I would like to come off and r at least get back down to 25 mg. Microtaprring I think would help me the most as my system is very sensitive to meds or reductions. Is there anyway someone can help me come up with a taper plan? I have no clue as what to do. I just recently ordered syringes and a cylinder. Thank you.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Beaches ,  have you read the thread on Tips for Tapering Lamictal here ?  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1122-tips-for-tapering-off-lamictal-lamotrigine/

"Make your own liquid solution

According to Rhi's experience below, you can easily make a solution with your immediate-release lamotrigine tablets.

Crush tablet, dissolve in a measured amount of water, take with an oral syringe. See http://survivinganti...ts-or-capsules/

Keep DIY liquids refrigerated for up to 7 days. You cannot make a liquid from Lamictal XR tablets."

If you dissolve a 50mg tablet in 25mg water , each ml on the syringe is worth 2mg medicine.  So if you want to take 48mg , you draw up 24mls. into the syringe.

You could make a more concentrated solution so you don't need to drink as much , but it's not as accurate.

The other option would be to invest $30 in a digital jewellers' scale , and weigh out your dose. See Using a digital scale to measure doses

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks fresh! And do I always use 25 mg water? Someone else told me 120 ml or mg of water. This is where I get confused about the amount of water and if I stick to that all the way down? Yes I have read the tapering section I just can't wrap my head around the numbers aspect of it all

Also I was just reading to not use liquid if you have paradoxil reactions to the ed which I do. Should I then get a scale and crush the tablet and measure? I don't know where to even begin with all of this but want to do it the right way.

• Administrator

Beaches, what do you mean by paradoxical reactions?

(Merged with your Intro topic.)

I feel more agitated than I have have on the 50 than when I was on the 25, obsessive thinking and repitive thoughts. Very bad ocd thoughts and ruminations. It is one of the adverse reactions to lamictal.

• Moderator Emeritus

If you are going to divide you dose into am and pm , you should do that first before starting to taper.

Each time you move the dose is like a change , and you need to give it time to settle.

From Alto: Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:18 AM

"Beaches, if I were you, I'd move 25mg lamotrigine earlier by an hour or so each day until you're taking it in the morning and see if that helps"

I'd do this first , and worry about the tapering in a month or so once that's been sorted.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

I have already tried it and it didn't work out. So now it's just 50 at night. I just don't know exactly how to taper

• Moderator Emeritus

You tried splitting the dose?  What happened?

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Just didn't feel right or stable. Felt like my body was trying to keep up with the split dose.

Is there anyone who can tell me exactly what I need to do to taper?

• Moderator Emeritus

Is there anyone who can tell me exactly what I need to do to taper?

Read through the topics Fresh posted for you here and then come back and ask questions about anything you don't understand.

Hi Beaches ,  have you read the thread on Tips for Tapering Lamictal here ?  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1122-tips-for-tapering-off-lamictal-lamotrigine/

"Make your own liquid solution

According to Rhi's experience below, you can easily make a solution with your immediate-release lamotrigine tablets.

Crush tablet, dissolve in a measured amount of water, take with an oral syringe. See http://survivinganti...ts-or-capsules/

Keep DIY liquids refrigerated for up to 7 days. You cannot make a liquid from Lamictal XR tablets."

If you dissolve a 50mg tablet in 25mg water , each ml on the syringe is worth 2mg medicine.  So if you want to take 48mg , you draw up 24mls. into the syringe.

You could make a more concentrated solution so you don't need to drink as much , but it's not as accurate.

The other option would be to invest $30 in a digital jewellers' scale , and weigh out your dose. See Using a digital scale to measure doses

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Do you want to taper using liquid? I just dissolve my tablets in water, don't need to crush them, they dissolve by themselves.

You can just start by dissolving your tablets in water, the full dose you're taking now, and taking that orally for a few days/nights at the time you're taking it now. Then if you're wanting to go to split dosing, try taking 3/4 at the usual time and saving the other 1/4 (in a covered container) for 12 hours later and taking it then. Do that for a while until you are feeling pretty stable with it. Then go to 1/2 and 1/2.

Once your body is used to the liquid dosing and the split dosing, you can approach reducing the dose and tapering.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.