Nurses talk about odd physical symptoms.

pocketnurse

Hi PN-- congratulations on getting down to 1mg, well done.  I just got there myself.  In fact there's a pretty good number of us in the 1mg range so we can fight our way through it together.

(((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hi all

Yes Marmite I have taken a ook at the withdrawal initiative and I am going to email it to my GP. Although understanding and he has actually admitted he trusts me when I tell him hoe difficult this has been he is sympathetic but still replied with "well no one else has struggled as much as you" which obviously made me feel he wasn't convinced. He did however ask me to email him anything that I thought might help him to understand the real difficulties some suffer with withdrawal so anything anyone knows maybe useful I would be grateful to hear about.

Brassmonkey- with regards to doing really well on 1mg I have taken a bit of a nose dive with this last reduction. Is it possible that the lower the dose the more sensitive to reductions we can become. I was better with the initial drops in dose but the lower I go the more difficult it seems to be. Right now I have extreme muscle and joint pain in my hips, lower back and legs, almost like having flu. Body pain has been a regular visitor to me in withdrawal for some reason. I guess I just have to get on with it and hope it is a short lived wave.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Love to all

PN xx

1995-1998 various SSRIs then withdrawal

2000 Sertraline

2003 Sertraline then changed to Prozac to attempt withdrawal.

2004 failed at withdrawal so Citalopram.

2010 attempted slow withdrawal over 12 months but failed- sever episode depression 2012

2012 3 days of Mirtazepine with bad reaction so started escitalopram 20mgs

2013 started very very slow taper with a number of slight reinstatements

Currently on between 0.5 and 1mg escitalopram drops at day.

Hi all

Yes Marmite I have taken a ook at the withdrawal initiative and I am going to email it to my GP. Although understanding and he has actually admitted he trusts me when I tell him hoe difficult this has been he is sympathetic but still replied with "well no one else has struggled as much as you" which obviously made me feel he wasn't convinced. He did however ask me to email him anything that I thought might help him to understand the real difficulties some suffer with withdrawal so anything anyone knows maybe useful I would be grateful to hear about.

Brassmonkey- with regards to doing really well on 1mg I have taken a bit of a nose dive with this last reduction. Is it possible that the lower the dose the more sensitive to reductions we can become. I was better with the initial drops in dose but the lower I go the more difficult it seems to be. Right now I have extreme muscle and joint pain in my hips, lower back and legs, almost like having flu. Body pain has been a regular visitor to me in withdrawal for some reason. I guess I just have to get on with it and hope it is a short lived wave.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Love to all

PN xx

PN - Since re-instating Cipralex (2.5mg) I've had body pains in the same areas.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Hi Junglechicken

Perhaps it is a particular withdrawal symptom for Cipralex. Many others have reported this too. I haven't found anything that helps really, just time.

Hang in there.

x

2000 Sertraline

2010 attempted slow withdrawal over 12 months but failed- sever episode depression 2012

Yes, PN, the lower you go the more sensitive things get.  It all has to do with occupancy rates of the nerves. In the beginning when starting a drug just a small amount of the drug affects a lot of nerves but as you increase the dose fewer and fewer are affected.  So the same thing happens in reverse when you taper off. The first drops don't have a lot of effect but as you get lower the more things change.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

What also seems to be happening is that my mood becomes more erratic more frequently too. My mood can change within the hour or even less, my family must find this very difficult to deal with and I don't know how to handle it. In the early hours of this morning I couldn't sleep (another problem at times) so I got up and made a cup of tea and put the TV on. The tears came from somewhere and I felt terrible. I find the great waves of intense sadness hard but compared with many others I am probably doing really well. I wonder if the physical side of withdrawal such as the aches and pains and poor sleep just make my mood worse or if I woud get the low mood anyway.

I think accepting that this is just how it is and not looking for answers is probably the best way forward. 

2000 Sertraline

Hi all.

I am after some advice or feedback if possible.

I have been undertaking a slow taper from 10mgs Lexapro (Cipralex in UK) for nearly two years. I have done this slow taper due to two previous failed attempts with Sertraline. I have been on one SSRI or another for the last 15 years or so.

What doesn't help my situation is that I am a nurse and despite all the issues I have had before with tapering I still struggle to come to terms with the fact that most of my symptoms are drug related rather than some other awful ailment. The more I research I do about the dreadful effects of these drugs the more convinced of the dangers of them I become however, on a regular basis in the practice where I work I am up against GP's who still dish them out and have no idea re the consequences of doing so and still give crap advice to patients to withdraw. A number of patients have been investigated for illnesses that are no doubt withdrawal reactions and I find it hard not to get involved but sometimes I find it equally hard to believe that my symptoms ARE withdrawal.

Currently I am have major stomach issues with pain and bloating, I have over the last couple of days started to experience feeling shaky, really a kind of anxiety feeling with a rapid strong feeling heart rate I suppose like an adrenaline rush which makes my tummy worse. I feel cold with this anxious feeling too. My mood is very low and I also feeling exhausted all the time which doesn't help when I have to work full time. I just want to sleep to block out how I am feeling as I have convinced myself that I have colon cancer or something terrible.

Throughout my taper I have had intense muscle pain, tiredness not resolved by sleep, episodes of balance/ dizziness and raging bad temper.

Is it normal for these new symptoms to pop up so long in to my taper?

My stress levels are high due to my job right now and in particular a very difficult colleague that can make my life hell and a management that seem reluctant to do anything about it.

I fear I am going to pieces again but I am so trying to hold it together.

Any help will be so very much appreciated.

PN x

Hi all.

I am after some advice or feedback if possible.

I have been undertaking a slow taper from 10mgs Lexapro (Cipralex in UK) for nearly two years. I have done this slow taper due to two previous failed attempts with Sertraline. I have been on one SSRI or another for the last 15 years or so.

What doesn't help my situation is that I am a nurse and despite all the issues I have had before with tapering I still struggle to come to terms with the fact that most of my symptoms are drug related rather than some other awful ailment. The more I research I do about the dreadful effects of these drugs the more convinced of the dangers of them I become however, on a regular basis in the practice where I work I am up against GP's who still dish them out and have no idea re the consequences of doing so and still give crap advice to patients to withdraw. A number of patients have been investigated for illnesses that are no doubt withdrawal reactions and I find it hard not to get involved but sometimes I find it equally hard to believe that my symptoms ARE withdrawal.

Currently I am have major stomach issues with pain and bloating, I have over the last couple of days started to experience feeling shaky, really a kind of anxiety feeling with a rapid strong feeling heart rate I suppose like an adrenaline rush which makes my tummy worse. I feel cold with this anxious feeling too. My mood is very low and I also feeling exhausted all the time which doesn't help when I have to work full time. I just want to sleep to block out how I am feeling as I have convinced myself that I have colon cancer or something terrible.

Throughout my taper I have had intense muscle pain, tiredness not resolved by sleep, episodes of balance/ dizziness and raging bad temper.

Is it normal for these new symptoms to pop up so long in to my taper?

My stress levels are high due to my job right now and in particular a very difficult colleague that can make my life hell and a management that seem reluctant to do anything about it.

I fear I am going to pieces again but I am so trying to hold it together.

Any help will be so very much appreciated.

PN x

pn....sorry you are going through this reading your post from sept 2015......im on a slow taper from lex and it is a horror show to say the least... everything you posted im going through right now stomach bloated  heart issues like you mentioned tired but cant really sleep etc im now on 1.6 for 4 months and cant step down because of withdrawal.....I hope you are feeling much better I will pray for you......TY Nivek 

25 October 2015 - 06:26 PM

November 2014 2.5 olanzapine cut 50% to 1.25 in dec 2014

January 22nd 2015 olanzapine cut 60% to .50 for 30 days

February 2015 .25 olanzapine for 30 days

Feb 2015 cut escitalopram/ Lexapro from 20 to 15 mg

March 2015 .1875 olanzapine 30 days

April 2015 .14 olanzapine to june 1st than off

march 2015 12.5 lex

April 2015 10 lex may 7.5 june 5mg

july 3.75 aug 2.5 sept 2mg

oct 2015 1.6

Hi Nivek

Thank you for your kind thoughts. I have been sitting around the 1mg mark of Cipralex for the last 5-6 weeks and in fact increased it slightly today to 1.5mgs due to my mood taking a real nose dive. I think I may have had some kind of virus which has really drained me and added to my low mood. I have to work so I thought the only option is to reinstate a little for now. I think you are wise holding for a few months longer, there is no rush and the risk of horror withdrawal is not worth it.

My concern is a latent withdrawal as some experience because up until now I have done well but seem to be struggling this far down the dosage. It helps knowing you are not alone but sadly I wish that no one had to experience this.

Sending you love and positive vibes.

PN xx

2000 Sertraline

• 2 weeks later...

iam a nurse too and i can say that when i went to the doctor i told them to check me for every single desease that i thought i had, i was 100% sure i had ms, or als or parkinsson or a braintumor.. it is scary , hard for ppl to understand wh havent been thru it themselves and sadly these symtoms are not accepted as wd from doctors, if u have them like longer than a week or two haha .. which is seriously SILLY .. 

im free now from the suffering, 2years and 6months off and been checked with brainscan  , eeg and alot of tests! nothing wrong with me

2007 - 2013: was on citalopram (tried to quit a few times, never worked, always went back on. max dose 40mg)

2012-2013: was tapering my citalopram all down to 2,5 mg then quit.
2013/aug: Took  my last pill 

W/D hit me bad after a few weeks off my medicine.

2014/August: 12 months off (much improved)

2015/April: 20months off. ( much improved, still some symtoms comes in waves, but not so intense.)

2015/june: 22months off. FELT different than before, all shakings suddenly stopped, feel much better. a fantastic feeling!

2016/Feb : 2 years and 6 months off, END of my suffering. I feel perfectly fine and back to normal. 
2018/Oct: Iam still feeling great. It is hard to believe my own story when I read back, what I went through!

iam a nurse too and i can say that when i went to the doctor i told them to check me for every single desease that i thought i had, i was 100% sure i had ms, or als or parkinsson or a braintumor.. it is scary , hard for ppl to understand wh havent been thru it themselves and sadly these symtoms are not accepted as wd from doctors, if u have them like longer than a week or two haha .. which is seriously SILLY ..

im free now from the suffering, 2years and 6months off and been checked with brainscan , eeg and alot of tests! nothing wrong with me

Very many thanks for posting this its great to hear a real success story and the hope that we will be left undamaged at the end of all the trauma. Good luck to you. Enjoy yourself !

Paxil 10mg 21/2 years to June 2012 after a 2 month taper

What also seems to be happening is that my mood becomes more erratic more frequently too. My mood can change within the hour or even less, my family must find this very difficult to deal with and I don't know how to handle it. In the early hours of this morning I couldn't sleep (another problem at times) so I got up and made a cup of tea and put the TV on. The tears came from somewhere and I felt terrible. I find the great waves of intense sadness hard but compared with many others I am probably doing really well. I wonder if the physical side of withdrawal such as the aches and pains and poor sleep just make my mood worse or if I woud get the low mood anyway.

I think accepting that this is just how it is and not looking for answers is probably the best way forward. 

I have been doing this a long time and acceptance is not what I am good at... so far I am still working on it tho... it depends on the day.  

As for the pain a hot bath with epson salts has helped me heating pad on spine cold pack on neck I know sounds simple but the two together seem to confuse my system into some sort of reset... works most of the time... deep relaxation if you can get there with the hot cold thing doubles the chance it will work. 

I wish you peace

PN 

could you add your history 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

• 2 weeks later...

PN - I find I get the pains after exercise, long haul travel or when stressed out.

The two week vacation was wonderful in that the aches and pains subsided.

I now have incessant high pitched tinnitus in my left ear....wondering if this is due to my AD Cipralex dose plan of getting back to a regular 8am dose time (after a 7hr time difference) since re-locating back to the UK from Canada?

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• 2 years later...
  • Administrator

Hey, nurses, any new insights?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes.  Many.  Many more insights.  It has been and continues to be an awesome journey.  I'll be more specific soon.

manymoretodays! 

@Leo1983

Edited by manymoretodays
elaboration, additional thoughts

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy