lele81: SSRI shuts down abdominals = bad posture, weaker voice

lele81

I´ve been on SSRI mostly for about 10 years, currently on celexa 20mg. Tried to taper off it during last spring, came down to 5mg, then crashed during the summer so had to go back to higher dose.

During all of these years I´ve had muscle cramps in the neck/shoulders so I havn´t been able to exercise anything, even walks triggers it, reading books, painting... It´s been so frustrated because before I was so active person with sports, music, art etc.. But I noticed one thing during my taper off last spring. The abdonimals became stronger and more active for every smaller dose I tapered down. Mymuscle pains/cramps was not as bad as they used to be. My voice became stronger also. Posture became better. I could started taking longer walks, but my mental health became really bad from the low dose I had..

When I then had to raise celexa again I noticed directly how the abdonimals were shutting off for every dose I raised. Now the tensions are building up more and more and I just can´t get support in the abdominals even how much I try to exercise them or focus, as they are in sleep. My voice has become weaker as well.

Do you have the same experience from SSRI? Is there a solution? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Werlcome lele81,

I'm sorry you have been having a difficult time tapering off celexa. How were you tapering?

Psych meds can cause harmful side effects and long term, they can worsen health, increasing the risk of other illnesses. In my opinion they  should only be used for short times and very cautiously, if at all. I'd highly recommend reading Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker.

We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising. Please read through this which will explain why:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

See:  Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

It would be great if you would put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Please feel free to write whenever you want, you will find a lot of friendly help and support here. I’m glad you found us, we’re here to support you.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

Welcome, lele.

Do you spend a lot of time at the computer? If so, some of your symptoms may be alleviated from physical therapy, chiropractic, osteopathic manipulation, acupuncture, or maybe even massage.

As Petunia suggested, please read the link she gave you to taper off Celexa.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 year later...

I´ve been on SSRI mostly for about 10 years, currently on celexa 20mg. Tried to taper off it during last spring, came down to 5mg, then crashed during the summer so had to go back to higher dose.

During all of these years I´ve had muscle cramps in the neck/shoulders so I havn´t been able to exercise anything, even walks triggers it, reading books, painting... It´s been so frustrated because before I was so active person with sports, music, art etc.. But I noticed one thing during my taper off last spring. The abdonimals became stronger and more active for every smaller dose I tapered down. Mymuscle pains/cramps was not as bad as they used to be. My voice became stronger also. Posture became better. I could started taking longer walks, but my mental health became really bad from the low dose I had..

When I then had to raise celexa again I noticed directly how the abdonimals were shutting off for every dose I raised. Now the tensions are building up more and more and I just can´t get support in the abdominals even how much I try to exercise them or focus, as they are in sleep. My voice has become weaker as well.

Do you have the same experience from SSRI? Is there a solution? 

I have all these symptoms as a result of sleep deprivation. Is it possible that you were sleep deprived?

• 1992-Feb. 2016- Took almost every antidepressant on the market. Cold turkeyed most of the medications I took.

Stopped taking Paxil February 8 2016. I tapered the dose from 50 mg to 0 over the course of about 10 weeks

On no medications as of Feb. 8, 2016

As of 10/23/16-Still unable to sleep more than 4 to 5 hours a night, sometimes less