Coopergirl1 off Lexapro, with emotional anesthesia

Coopergirl1

Feeling super sad. Started dating a great guy a few months on ssris and everything was wonderful..i have been on ssris for 1.5 years now and a few months ago I started not being able to feel feelings which in turn made me think I didn't love him. I a now off ssris 1 month and 3 weeks and everyday is getting a little better. Some days I feel great and some I don't. Will I ever feel normal again, please help?

Started Prozac 20 MG March 2014-Sept 2014

New doctor switched me to Lexapro 10 MG and it helped from Sept 2014-Feb 2015 and then I felt the Lexapro wasn't helping as much so he changed the dose to 20 MG and I took that from Feb 2015-July 2015 when I decided to get off pills completely.I had to reinstate as I was feeling so bad and very pressured to go back on pills. My Dr put me on 50 MG zoloft and I took it for about a week..made me feel brain dead. Went down to 25 before I really learned the trouble of fast tapering..finally got a jewelry scale to properly weigh out my pills. Looking to just feel OK. Unsure where to go next.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Coopergirl1

• Altostrata

• brassmonkey

• Theon

Top Posters In This Topic

Welocome 'coopergirl' how quickly did you come off the ssri ?

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.

Welcome. People here will ask for your dosing history and info. about your tapering (stopping).

Can you talk to your boyfriend about any of this? Have you already?

-I was on an SSRI (most recently Celexa at 40mg/day) for about 15 years for anxiety. I tapered off over about 8 months and in 2015 and had worsened anxiety and well-being once off it. In the fall of 2015 (I believe) I did a low dose reinstatement and was doing better. I stayed on roughly 1 ml (2 mg) for a while but eventually lowered it to .5 ml and was on this for a long time.

-Around late mid May (2017) my anxiety was worse and I increased the Celexa to 1.5 ml. At first, I felt significantly better but I developed a hand tremor. I also was having some attention and concentration difficulties. In mid July (over about 2 weeks) I tapered off of the Celexa and was off it for about 2 1/2 weeks before I started to feel an intense increase in anxiety and my hand tremor returned.

-Aug 13, 2017 I did a low dose reinstatement of 0.5 ml a day and am currently still taking that. Initial response is good.

-Early September 2017 to present - hand tremor returns and attention and concentration are impaired. Feeling of unbalance/unsteadiness from using treadmill. Mild changes to sexual performance too.

-Sept 18, 2017: 0.4 ml Celexa. Everything is generally improving although hand tremor is worse. Attention, concentration, and anxiety are good.

-I am also on Wellbutrin (200 mg/day) for anxiety and take a Benadryl at night for sleep and allergies. Eventually I'd like to be off everything.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9730-chancelucky-antidepressant-withdrawal-social-anxiety-pessimism/

• Administrator

Welcome, Coopergirl1.

Yes, the information requested by Nomoreheadmeds and ChanceLucky would be helpful.

What drug were you taking last and how long were you taking it, at what dosage?

What has been your symptom pattern since you came off? If withdrawal symptoms are getting better, that's a very good sign. Your feelings will very slowly come back.

You need to let your nervous system heal from withdrawal. See What is withdrawal syndrome?  and The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You may wish to start a topic in the Relationships forum about your feelings for your boyfriend.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I'm wondering if this is just part of the ups and downs in a typical relationship. (I don't say that to diminish how you're feeling.) Have you lost feelings for all things you enjoy or just your boyfriend?

-I was on an SSRI (most recently Celexa at 40mg/day) for about 15 years for anxiety. I tapered off over about 8 months and in 2015 and had worsened anxiety and well-being once off it. In the fall of 2015 (I believe) I did a low dose reinstatement and was doing better. I stayed on roughly 1 ml (2 mg) for a while but eventually lowered it to .5 ml and was on this for a long time.

-Around late mid May (2017) my anxiety was worse and I increased the Celexa to 1.5 ml. At first, I felt significantly better but I developed a hand tremor. I also was having some attention and concentration difficulties. In mid July (over about 2 weeks) I tapered off of the Celexa and was off it for about 2 1/2 weeks before I started to feel an intense increase in anxiety and my hand tremor returned.

-Aug 13, 2017 I did a low dose reinstatement of 0.5 ml a day and am currently still taking that. Initial response is good.

-Early September 2017 to present - hand tremor returns and attention and concentration are impaired. Feeling of unbalance/unsteadiness from using treadmill. Mild changes to sexual performance too.

-Sept 18, 2017: 0.4 ml Celexa. Everything is generally improving although hand tremor is worse. Attention, concentration, and anxiety are good.

-I am also on Wellbutrin (200 mg/day) for anxiety and take a Benadryl at night for sleep and allergies. Eventually I'd like to be off everything.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9730-chancelucky-antidepressant-withdrawal-social-anxiety-pessimism/

Thank you guys SO much for replying!! That was so fast. I was on Prozac 20mg March 2014-Sept 2014 & then Lexapro 10 MG Sept 2014-April 2014 then I felt the Lexapro wasn't working for me so the Dr upped my dose to 20mg and for the last few months I've been losing feelings for my boyfriend, my dog..things that were once very important to me. I don't want to hurt my boyfriend or anyone. I feel terrible but I have read that this is common..I've been off the pills for 1 month and 3 weeks and I weaned down over 1 month period. So weaning was 1 month and then been off completely 1 month 3 weeks..am I rushing? Am I expecting too much or is this how I will always feel. My boyfriend and family are the nicest people in the world I want this to get better.

New doctor switched me to Lexapro 10 MG and it helped from Sept 2014-Feb 2015 and then I felt the Lexapro wasn't helping as much so he changed the dose to 20 MG and I took that from Feb 2015-July 2015 when I decided to get off pills completely.I had to reinstate as I was feeling so bad and very pressured to go back on pills. My Dr put me on 50 MG zoloft and I took it for about a week..made me feel brain dead. Went down to 25 before I really learned the trouble of fast tapering..finally got a jewelry scale to properly weigh out my pills. Looking to just feel OK. Unsure where to go next.

Hi 'coopergirl' Did either of these drugs help you at all ? Yes you rushed off a bit quick .I did that also it causes a whole lot of pain.Are you having any other withdrawal symptoms ? 

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.

Coopergirl1, I'm so sorry to hear your experience with Lexapro. I came off Lexapro earlier this year. Yes, losing your feelings for things is common. They will come back in time. In the mean time I recommend you talk to your boyfriend if you haven't already, if you think this is affecting your relationship with him. Also, while you're not feeling things as much now I'm sure you can remember how those feelings felt so take some time to remember how it felt. You're going to be fine. It takes time.

Lexapro four times in the last ten years. Each time 6 month use. Two week taper.

Lexapro 20mg August 2014 until Feb 28 2015. Two week taper

Thank you guys again. I know it is going to take time. I wish the doctor would've let me know of these common side effects..I would've never started to take them. You guys make me feel much better. I will give it time..time heals all. And yes I have talked to my boyfriend and he says no matter what he is not going anywhere. He is a wonderful guy he really is! I feel so bad for him during this time.

• Administrator

coopergirl, what has been your symptom pattern since you went off Prozac?

To help us out, see these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I felt like the Prozac 20 mg gave out on me just didn't feel like it was working so I didn't even get a chance to stop Prozac a day without getting put on Lexapro

• Administrator

Were you on Lexapro last?

What has been your symptom pattern since you went off Lexapro?

We really do need that info in your signature, I'm very confused about your recent drug history. I think you made some errors in dates up above.

Yes I was on Lexapro 20 MG last for 6 months. Before that I was on Lexapro 10 MG for 6 months and before the i was on Prozac 20 MG for 6 months. My symptoms had been crying spells, headache, brain zaps, feeling really good confused. My boyfriend has been there through all of this. On the pills i started to feel very flat line and having no passion for things i once loved. I just don't know what to do. I have been off all pills for 1 month and 3 weeks and I just am wondering ideally how long will it take for my brain to reach homeostasis?

I would say that at least 6 months, i don't really know, and it will probably be a very gradual improvement. I have the same problem as you about the flatness and loss of feelings (although I don't have a gf) and I have improved maybe a 5-10% in 2 months since I left the prozac..

I am going to try meditation to try to help my brain heal and also for the anxiety that led me get into prozac in the first place, although now I don't have much of that anxiety.

About me ------------------------ College student with a history of anxiety, excessive worrying and health anxiety.

April 2014 - May 2015----------    Prozac 20mg On and Off.  Second time on it I developed apathy, changes in personality, asexuality.

May 2015  -   July 2015-----------------  Tappering off prozac. Still no feelings,anhedonia, apathy, no libido, asexuality.

Current symptoms--------  pssd (asexuality in my case). Anxiety and depression developed some months afer stopping prozac, could have been caused by obsessing and beating myself up too much when I found myself unable to like girls again. The best thing to do with pssd (which in my case is asexuality) is accept it and move on.

Theon- thank you! You guys make me feel normal already. I just hate feeling like nope this is me you are flat and passion less and you will always be this way. It is not true and I cry all the time "I have been off the pills almost 2 months"..yes true but my brain was still changed and messed with from the pills..it needs to heal.

Hang in there! ;) it will get better, I also have had an awful summer with the emotional flatness... Whenever I met people in the night, they wanted me to get drunk because they saw me so passive... I actually got drunk once and even then I was still flat... but it is not permanent (although it is very easy to find horror stories on the internet saying that it is permanent) , it's actually a very common side effect from ssri.

About me ------------------------ College student with a history of anxiety, excessive worrying and health anxiety.

April 2014 - May 2015----------    Prozac 20mg On and Off.  Second time on it I developed apathy, changes in personality, asexuality.

May 2015  -   July 2015-----------------  Tappering off prozac. Still no feelings,anhedonia, apathy, no libido, asexuality.

Current symptoms--------  pssd (asexuality in my case). Anxiety and depression developed some months afer stopping prozac, could have been caused by obsessing and beating myself up too much when I found myself unable to like girls again. The best thing to do with pssd (which in my case is asexuality) is accept it and move on.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Coopergirl, it sounds like you are being patient and gentle with yourself.

Sometimes this takes awhile, irregardless of dosage, duration, half-life, methylation, or any other fancy science words you might find.

Being kind to yourself and being patient with yourself is probably the most healing thing you can do.

Too many of us pound on ourselves with guilt, ambition, desire, trauma, memory, rumination.  But if you can look for the bright spots, and coddle yourself a bit - and maybe (If your lucky) boyfriend will coddle you a bit too - but not enough to hamper the growth and independance - and love - that you can find at the other side of this numbing time.

Like a time-released anaesthetic, there may be a few things you have to go through to "wake up."   If you gently accept them as they come, instead of fighting, you will have a smoother time.

and pretty please, can we have your signature?

How to complete your Signature

Complete your Signature from Phone or Tablet

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hi JanCarol! Thank you for your reply. I am just feeling not like myself and thinking I will feel this way forever. My relationship has been great and my boyfriend never does anything wrong. I am trying to convince myself that there are things wrong just so I can justify my numbness and lose of feelings. I feel so bad.

I also filled out my signature so I hope you can see it :)

• Administrator

Good job!

My friend is telling me that since I was only on ssris for 1.5 years and off them now for 2 months that the drug is out of my body and this is the real me feeling this way. That scared me so much because I have read that just because it is out of your body your brain still needs time to heal

Theon why is my friend telling me that since I was only on meds 1.5 years the meds have rid my body after 2 months and the way I'm feeling is how I'll always feel. Don't I need to give my brain time to heal?

• Moderator Emeritus

The issue is not whether the meds are still in your body, the issue us that your brain had to adjust to them being there and now has to adjust to them not being there. That takes time. It's rebuilding it's natural self but in the mean time it can have all sorts of effects. Loss of feelings can be one of them. The fact that this happened with your dog as well suggests it's not just about him.

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Thank you Dalsaan..I don't feel crazy now after you told me that. Thank you for your kind words

What is bothering you is not the ssri in your blood-stream, it's the changes that they made in your personality/way of feeling... and they will be there far after you have discontinued the drug.

You have exactly the same problem as me, and this is not withdrawal, this is more like a problem with some side effects (loss of feelings) that turn out to persist after you discontinue the drug.  I am more than 2 months off (enough for the fluoxetine to go out) and I have not noticed that the changes made by the ssri have reversed yet.

"SSRIs perhaps can be viewed as personality-normalizing agents, useful in treating many disorders associated with high neuroticism and low extroversion, the researchers conclude"

The effects of ssri on personality are making the person more flat, and that means, less prone to feel anxiety/depression/sadness/passion/love/empathy/fear/worry/etc

They call it lowering the neuroticism of the personality, and they tell it like if it was a good thing because it "protects" you from relapsing into anxiety/depression.

But eventually the patient loss those effects and they can relapse into anxiety/worry/depression, so the same way you will relapse into love when the effects go away.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Coopergirl.

All I can say is that the emotional anesthesia will lighten over time.

Be patient and cherish what your relationship gives you from day to day, let yourself feel what you can feel, and don't let your worry over this become a wall between you and your boyfriend. He will be happy to see you taking care of yourself and your nervous system and being in a healing frame of mind.

My friend is telling me that since I was only on ssris for 1.5 years and off them now for 2 months that the drug is out of my body and this is the real me feeling this way. That scared me so much because I have read that just because it is out of your body your brain still needs time to heal

Alto's advice is spot on Coopergirl, don't give up on your relationship, you will get the feelings back. Your friend is telling you what many people believe, that when the drug is out f your bloodstream then you are at your baseline of normality but that is not true, you have read that your brain needs to heal and that is right. The drugs change things in the brain, and the brain is constantly renewing itself around the drugs. Now it has to start working without them and it takes time for all this to happen. It can't be rushed, it will happen all on it's own and eventually you will be able to feel again. It is quite something when emotions come back, I find it amazing when I cry at little things. People think I'm depressed but I'm not, I'm emotional and that is something I treasure after years of feeling no emotions. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

You are all awesome thank you so much!!!!!!!!! ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

Hi you guys, sorry to bother you. I am 2 months off my medicine and I found out my old best friend who liked me who I never gave a chance because I didn't have feelings for him is getting married and having a baby. When I found out he was getting married I was super happy for him and didn't even think twice ( I was on meds then )..now 2 months off I hear he is having a baby and it bothers me a bit. Is this withdrawal talking or me? I feel like my brain is playing tricks on me. I have only once for a second when we were friends to give him a chance but that thought only lasted a second. I need advice please and thank you

Withdrawal.Forget him.

You are the best. I honestly would probably not be as far along on the road to recovery if it weren't for you guys responding to me. You really don't know how much I appreciate it.

I'm glad you took it the right way.These neuro emotions can be so real.Have you read about them 'Coopergirl' ?

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9809-neuro-emotions/

Yes I just read it and it was a great read. I really hope that is what this feeling is..I have been in a new relationship for almost a year now and have never once even thought that guy. It's hard to tell yourself it's false when it feels so real you know?

It is hard to tell yourself its false

And everyone is like oh you've been on meds only 1.5 years but still..I feel like it has changed me. Why are people thinking that way and are they right?

No, they are not right. There are a lot of people who took it even only for a few days or weeks and who suffer from extreme symptoms which definitely have been caused by the drug.

There are only a few physicians who know that, for example David Healy

I think it is likely it changed you, and just as likely you will get yourself back. You have been off a very, very short time.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

The half life of Lexapro is between 27-32 or 33 hours. Meaning, whatever your dosage was, in about 30 hours, you have about half of the dosage in your body still. Another 30 hours, you half that. Even down to .2 mgs in your body, so guess what? Chances are, it's probably still a bit in your body. Yes, your brain will need to heal from the medicine. And some, don't make full recoveries. 

By the way, your friend telling you that stuff? Yeah, I'd probably stop listening to them.